Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 93
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Longest shot possible

    Aright, Im curious as to how far a projectile can be fired in D&D.

    Obviously, cragtop archer is a given, at least for 4 levels. That gives us 15 range increments with no attack reduction. Next up, we'll want the ranged weapon with the biggest increment. Repeating Heavy Crossbow is 120 feet. Anything longer? This puts us at 1800 feet, which isn't bad, but Im certain more has to be possible.

    Distance is a +1 enchantment from MiC, and doubles the range increment. Presumably you can't get it multiple times. This gets us to 3600 feet, which is fairly respectable.

    Any other sources of distance boosting for the true hail mary shot?

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zom B's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Across infinite distances. Deities and Demigods, I believe, had a power where the god could see any distance, even as far as other planes. Somewhere (I thought Epic but I thought wrong it seems), there's an ability that says something like "If you can see a spot, you can shoot at it." It may also be a divine power.

    EDIT: It's a divine power called Divine Archery. I'm having trouble finding the first power, but either way, a deity can see for miles without any other powers.
    Last edited by Zom B; 2010-08-28 at 10:56 PM.
    Zombitar courtesy of Djinn_In_Tonic.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Hmm, lets go with longest pre-epic, then, as yeah, epic/divine ranks tend to make the rules go a bit wonky. Good find, though.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2010-08-28 at 10:50 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Hirax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Distant Shot [Epic]
    Prerequisites

    Dex 25, Far Shot, Point Blank Shot, Spot 20 ranks.
    Benefit

    You may throw or fire a ranged weapon at any target within line of sight, with no penalty for range.

    Epic, but getting line of sight is easy.
    Last edited by Hirax; 2010-08-28 at 10:51 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Andion Isurand's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tintageer Terrace
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    I think the Deepwood Sniper PrC increases range increment by 10 ft per level.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned
     
    Snake-Aes's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    R'lyeh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Hmm, lets go with longest pre-epic, then, as yeah, epic/divine ranks tend to make the rules go a bit wonky. Good find, though.
    Cragtop archers get to increase their shooting range to 15 increments (and trade #of attacks to remove the distance penalty). Since it requires far shot, you're looking at 22,5 times the original increment of the weapon.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Andion Isurand View Post
    I think the Deepwood Sniper PrC increases range increment by 10 ft per level.
    *digs out Masters of the Wild*

    Right you are, sir. Slightly lower entry requirements than cragtop, too, meaning no difficulty in taking them both fully.

    That alone gets us up to 220 ft range increments w a H Repeating Crossbow. Apply the 1.5 times from far shot, for 330 ft increments. (good catch, Id forgotten far shot!)
    Apply distance modifier, for 660 ft increments.
    Use 15 of those. 9,900 feet, or a bit under two miles. Quite good so far!

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    balistafreak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    I think we can easily get better than a 120 foot range increment.

    *digs*

    Aha. Dragonbone is a material from the Draconomnomnomnomnomicon, applicable to standard bows.

    A Composite Longbow goes from 110 feet to 130 feet range increments. Zing! A small boost, but a boost nonetheless.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

    I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

    Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

    Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Halae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Questing
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    I believe theres a spell, something like wind tunnel or similar, that can double the range of a projectile. Not sure about that though.

    And what would be the level of kinetic energy this arrow is carrying? Two miles? In less than six seconds?
    Last edited by Halae; 2010-08-28 at 11:07 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Eh, without Distant Shot it's something like:

    • Comp. Greatbow 130'
    • Colossal + Weapon Size: (*1.25)^5 (Medium > Large; Large > Huge; Huge > Gargantuan; Gargantuan > Colossal; Colossal > Colossal + - through a Scroll of e.g. Giant Size or Shapechange, and Strongarm Bracers)
    • +20 Dragonbone
    • +20 Ranged Weapon Mastery
    • +100 Deepwood Sniper 10
    • *1.5 Far Shot
    • *2 Distance
    • *1.25 Flight Arrows


    Colossal + Comp. Greatbow has range of ~396', assuming we simply multiply the previous range each time. That gives us base range of 536' with all the adjustments. We then proceed to multiply that range by, assuming D&D-style multipliers, 2.75 getting us ~1476' total. Then we proceed to multiply that by 15 (Cragtop Archer) and our composite range should be about 22140'. So...there.

    EDIT: Oh yeah, it's true; Wind Tunnel [Drd 5; SC] doubles range increment so if we use a scroll of that too (might as well, we're blowing a ton of money on this anyways), we'd get 44280'.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-08-28 at 11:09 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    I believe theres a spell, something like wind tunnel or similar, that can double the range of a projectile. Not sure about that though.
    I have a niggling feeling that I've seen one. Looking up the Distance enchantment didn't help...it's prereq is clairvoyance. No luck there.

    And what would be the level of kinetic energy this arrow is carrying? Two miles? In less than six seconds?
    Certainly enough to kill any catgirl on impact.

    With a dragonbone composite longbow, we're up to 10,350 ft.

    Edit: Eld is now shooting something like 8 miles. Awesomeness.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2010-08-28 at 11:15 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned
     
    Snake-Aes's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    R'lyeh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Wind Tunnel, Spell Compendium 239 (druid 5)
    +5 competence to attack, doubles projectile's range. Can be cast on others.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in the playground.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Gnomish Crossbow Sight? AEG
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    FelixG's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    The catgirls are going to feel this one...

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned
     
    Snake-Aes's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    R'lyeh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Quote Originally Posted by FelixG View Post
    The catgirls are going to feel this one...
    well, at 8 miles the arrow's flying at a good 2kilometers per second. That's like 6*10^-6 times the speed of light already.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Old Jersiaise
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    They won't, however, see it coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    I think I have seen this posted on here before, got some where around 12 or so miles. Required scrying to even shoot since you have to see your target.

    *edit* So completely wrong. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...00&postcount=9

    Maybe you can snag something from it to upgrade yours though.
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2010-08-28 at 11:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

    Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    FelixG's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    well, at 8 miles the arrow's flying at a good 2kilometers per second. That's like 6*10^-6 times the speed of light already.
    Thats something like 730d6 of damage from velocity alone :P

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hillsboro, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Eh, without Distant Shot it's something like:

    • Comp. Greatbow 130'
    • Colossal + Weapon Size: (*1.25)^5 (Medium > Large; Large > Huge; Huge > Gargantuan; Gargantuan > Colossal; Colossal > Colossal + - through a Scroll of e.g. Giant Size or Shapechange, and Strongarm Bracers)
    • +20 Dragonbone
    • +20 Ranged Weapon Mastery
    • +100 Deepwood Sniper 10
    • *1.5 Far Shot
    • *2 Distance
    • *1.25 Flight Arrows


    Colossal + Comp. Greatbow has range of ~396', assuming we simply multiply the previous range each time. That gives us base range of 536' with all the adjustments. We then proceed to multiply that range by, assuming D&D-style multipliers, 2.75 getting us ~1476' total. Then we proceed to multiply that by 15 (Cragtop Archer) and our composite range should be about 22140'. So...there.

    EDIT: Oh yeah, it's true; Wind Tunnel [Drd 5; SC] doubles range increment so if we use a scroll of that too (might as well, we're blowing a ton of money on this anyways), we'd get 44280'.
    Deepwood Sniper's range increase is only added after all multipliers.
    The NPC.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Telonius's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wandering in Harrekh
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Quote Originally Posted by FelixG View Post
    Thats something like 730d6 of damage from velocity alone :P
    What's the amount of damage required to BLOW UP THE MOON! ..?

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    What's the amount of damage required to BLOW UP THE MOON! ..?
    Well, we've already got LOS. That makes the task a bit easier, actually.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    balistafreak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    According to the SRD, 20 arrows weigh 3 pounds. So one arrow is 0.15 pounds.

    Now shoot this baby at the decided velocity. (Take into account what EnnPeeCee has pointed out.)

    Someone do the force formula. A calculation in pounds of force on impact would be awesome. A comparison to pounds/tons of TNT or Hiroshimas would be hilarious.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

    I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

    Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

    Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    What's the amount of damage required to BLOW UP THE MOON! ..?
    Just gate in Piccolo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

    Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Old Jersiaise
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    So, now we just need a magic crossbow that ignores hardness and DR. Then we shoot the moon till it breaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Quote Originally Posted by balistafreak View Post
    According to the SRD, 20 arrows weigh 3 pounds. So one arrow is 0.15 pounds.

    Now shoot this baby at the decided velocity. (Take into account what EnnPeeCee has pointed out.)

    Someone do the force formula. A calculation in pounds of force on impact would be awesome. A comparison to pounds/tons of TNT or Hiroshimas would be hilarious.
    Well, given that it's above light speed, and to accelerate any finite mass to light speed requires infinite energy...

    How many hiroshimas is this arrow as powerful as? All of them. Plus more.


    Reynard, ignoring hardness is easy. Adamantium arrows and we're good.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Spiryt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Quote Originally Posted by balistafreak View Post
    According to the SRD, 20 arrows weigh 3 pounds. So one arrow is 0.15 pounds.

    Now shoot this baby at the decided velocity. (Take into account what EnnPeeCee has pointed out.)

    Someone do the force formula. A calculation in pounds of force on impact would be awesome. A comparison to pounds/tons of TNT or Hiroshimas would be hilarious.
    It will first loose it's feathers, and then burn/fall apart in atmosphere, lol.
    Avatar by Kwarkpudding
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

    Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    FelixG's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Hmmm, the Ballista has a 120 foot range increment, i just had a brilliant idea of the worlds fastest small sized critter by strapping a gnome or halfling to it, make them ride it dr strange love style!

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    It will first loose it's feathers, and then burn/fall apart in atmosphere, lol.
    Force arrow. Or fire arrow. Both should protect from minor fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

    Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    balistafreak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Well, given that it's above light speed, and to accelerate any finite mass to light speed requires infinite energy...
    STOP

    That can't possibly be right.

    The speed of light is fast. Like, really fast. Faster than TO fast.

    To whit, the speed of light is exactly 299,792,458 METRES per second. We're not even close. Yet.

    ARROWTIME
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

    I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

    Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

    Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Spiryt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Poland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Longest shot possible

    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Force arrow. Or fire arrow. Both should protect from minor fire.
    But can it protect from FRICTION?!

    Du du dun.
    Avatar by Kwarkpudding
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

    Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •