New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Warrior, Rogue & Mage] Free, rules-light fantasy game

I was pointed in the direction of this little gem the other day:

Warrior, Rogue & Mage is a simple, lightweight roleplaying game that allows a group of players and a game master to experience epic adventures in a fantasy world filled with wondrous magic. This book contains the complete game rules, including character creation, combat, magic, equipment and monsters, as well as a complete fantasy setting, the Fallen Imperium of Vaneria.

Although WR&M uses three basic fantasy RPG classes in its name, it doesn't make use of classes. Players are encouraged to create their characters freely without having to fit them into archetypal roles. Warrior, Rogue and Mage are actually the character's basic attributes, which measure their capabilities in combat, stealth and academics respectively.
    Vaguely reminiscent of Barbarians of Lemuria, and maybe some of the ideals of the very earliest edition of D&D. Its actually quite complete in 40-ish pages, I'd imagine its pretty good for one-shots, pickup games and the like.

Check it out.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Warrior, Rogue & Mage] Free, rules-light fantasy game

Thanks for posting this, I will give it a look. :)

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Dungeon Squad uses a similar system.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Steve View Post
    Dungeon Squad uses a similar system.
    If I'm remembering correctly, that does it by die types assigned to each stat, doesn't it?
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

5. - Top - End - #5

SwashbucklerGuy

That's right.

6. - Top - End - #6

I know the guy who made that. It's cool to see it come up here!
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I've already made a couple of minor changes to make it more to my tastes.

Firstly, the dice mechanic. In place of a since d6, it's 2d4-1. Means explosions are much less frequent, and we get the tendency of results towards the middle.

Secondly, a tweak on the skills. Out go the weapon-specific ones (Axes, Bows, Daggers, etc) and in their places are two skills: Melee Weapons (W) and Ranged Weapons (R). Unarmed (W) remains. That way we don't have characters with boring lists of skills that simply cover the weapons they commonly use.

Thirdly, three new social skills. Impress (W), Deceive (R) and Mediate (M).

That does it for me, nice for one shots or a handful of sessions.
    Last edited by Kiero; 2010-09-02 at 08:19 AM.
    Wushu Open Reloaded