New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Glassteel

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Glassteel

Hey Playgrounders!

In AD&D 1st edition, there was a spell called Glassteel. I don't remember if it made steel transparent, or if it made glass as strong as steel, but I always liked the concept. As I remember, it was an 8th level spell. Why it was that high, I don't know.

What level do you think either version should be in 3.5? And, if it was available, would you take it, and what would you do with it?

Edit: Oh yes, and I think the spell is permanent.
    Last edited by thompur; 2010-08-29 at 09:49 PM.
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

This has become my philosophy!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Glassteel

Well, I think the first option can be done with Deceptive Facade (Bard 2, Sor/Wiz 3). *Cue discussion on whether a glamer can make something transparent*
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

There's a material in 'The sunless citadel' which can alloyed with your typical steel weapon to change it's color. The right variety of the material can also make your weapon transparent like glass.
    It's pretty cheap too, but it's out of a 3.0 adventure, so your DM might not allow it

edit: Nephelium. Has all the properties of iron, but it is transparent. Impurities give it color, only costs an extra 100 gp more than a regular item. Odd, talks a lot about being scarce, but it's not near as expensive as ANY other special material (inferior materials like bone and bronze don't count)
    Last edited by herrhauptmann; 2010-08-29 at 10:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'll see if I can find my 1st ed PHB. I've got the DMG handy, but not sure if I know where the PHB is.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

TROBRIAND’S GLASSEE
    Transmutation
    Level: Sorcerer/wizard 6

Permanently gives a metal or stone object the transparanecy of glass.

(CoS:Waterdeep pg 157)
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2010-08-29 at 10:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by thompur View Post
    Hey Playgrounders!

In AD&D 1st edition, there was a spell called Glassteel. I don't remember if it made steel transparent, or if it made glass as strong as steel, but I always liked the concept. As I remember, it was an 8th level spell. Why it was that high, I don't know.

What level do you think either version should be in 3.5? And, if it was available, would you take it, and what would you do with it?

Edit: Oh yes, and I think the spell is permanent.
    In 2nd ed, it transmuted nonmagical glass or crystal into a transparent substance as strong as steel. It affected 10 pounds of material per caster level.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

3rd edition D&D has 2 versions of glassteel. The 3.0 version is in Races of Faerűn on page 158. For some reason they nerfed it for 3.5 in Champions of Ruin on page 65. The newer version has nearly identical properties to mithral (matching exactly in weight, ASF, MDB, and ACP), so there's hardly any reason for its existence. The older, more expensive version combines the qualities of adamantine and mithral for a unique effect, which is especially useful if you'll be working without magic (in an Antimagic Field, say).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

For those looking for the original:

"Glassteel(Alteration)
    Level: 8
    Range: Touch
    Duration: Permanent
    Area of Effect: Object touched
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 8 segments
    Saving Throw: None

Explanation/Description: The glassteel spell turns crystal or glass into a transparent substance which has the tensile strength and unbreakabilityof actual steel. Only a relatively small volume of material can be affected, a maximum weight of 10 pounds per level of experience of the spell caster, and it must form one whole object. The material components of this spell are a small piece of glass and a small piece of steel."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    The newer version has nearly identical properties to mithral (matching exactly in weight, ASF, MDB, and ACP), so there's hardly any reason for its existence.
    Well, it does have the benefit of not being a metal, allowing it to ignore Ironguard and rust monsters.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Well, it does have the benefit of not being a metal, allowing it to ignore Ironguard and rust monsters.
    Which is why I wrote "hardly any reason for its existence". The older version, though fabulously more expensive, combined the properties of adamantine (harder, tougher, nonmagical enhancement bonus) and mithral (lighter) for a unique effect.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Which is why I wrote "hardly any reason for its existence". The older version, though fabulously more expensive, combined the properties of adamantine (harder, tougher, nonmagical enhancement bonus) and mithral (lighter) for a unique effect.
    Cheaper is awesome. Plus, you've got those wierd nature types who can't use metal armor and such. Non-metal is pretty big.

Clear armor? The obvious thing to do is make the fighters armor and weapons transparent. Sell him on the idea by telling him how much easier it will be to always have his equipment with him. As part of the deal, ask him to carry your spare spellbook, since he's so much stronger than you. Make sure it's visible.

You, on the other hand, should find a quite visible way to carry weapons and armor. Illusionary, if you must, but so long as it's visible.

End result: Any intelligent combatants meeting you for the first time are likely to use rather poor tactics.

12. - Top - End - #12

Transparent does not equal invisible. It's still going to be fairly obvious that the fighter is wearing armor. It's just now that much more important that he wear something under it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

EVERYONE wears clothes and underarmor under their armor! Especially various kinds of 'big plates of solid material' armors (ie, the ones you would generally make out of weird materials like this) that in D&D are represented by Breastplate, Banded Mail, Half Plate, and Full Plate.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2010-08-31 at 04:16 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    EVERYONE wears clothes and underarmor under their armor! Especially various kinds of 'big plates of solid material' armors (ie, the ones you would generally make out of weird materials like this) that in D&D are represented by Breastplate, Banded Mail, Half Plate, and Full Plate.
    Not if you want to be invisible!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CapnVan View Post
    Not if you want to be invisible!
    Ah, no wonder the spell lvl is so high.

Cast once to make a non-magical item that makes you invisible. Well worth a lvl 9 spell.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pictured: Glassteel equipment?

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.