New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Star Wars Saga Edition Character Building

I'm new to Star Wars, although I've played D&D for years. I was wondering how to properly build a Soldier, specializing in the Armor talent tree, that will (probably) eventually join either the Jedi or the Sith, but doesn't have any force powers as yet (although he does have force potential he is unaware of). We are starting at 3rd level. I want him to be a sort of tank, with high defense and offense but little in the way of utility. I'm not saying no utility, just that it takes a back seat. The era is probably KOTOR. We get a 30 point buy and standard WBL (where is WBL for Star Wars Saga edition? I can't find it).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars Saga Edition Character Building

It sounds like you pretty much have it down. Take Armor talents and some defensive feats. Don't bother with actual armor; it's pretty much useless in SWSE.
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swordgleam View Post
    It sounds like you pretty much have it down. Take Armor talents and some defensive feats. Don't bother with actual armor; it's pretty much useless in SWSE.
    Actually, it can become pretty nice if you grab Improved Armor Defense, with a dip into Elite Trooper, grabbing Armored Mandalorian.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    Actually, it can become pretty nice if you grab Improved Armor Defense, with a dip into Elite Trooper, grabbing Armored Mandalorian.
    What is this Armored Mandalorian? I'm not seeing anything in Elite Trooper that helps armored combatants.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    What is this Armored Mandalorian? I'm not seeing anything in Elite Trooper that helps armored combatants.
    It's in the KoTOR supplement. It lets you add your armor bonus to Fort to your Elite Trooper DR, and makes it so lightsabers have to penetrate your DR if you are wearing Cortosis Weave (or other lightsaber resistant) armor.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    It's in the KoTOR supplement. It lets you add your armor bonus to Fort to your Elite Trooper DR, and makes it so lightsabers have to penetrate your DR if you are wearing Cortosis Weave (or other lightsaber resistant) armor.
    Ah. We don't have that book. I think. I haven't seen it. At low levels and with just the main book, there really is no reason to have armor.
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swordgleam View Post
    Ah. We don't have that book. I think. I haven't seen it. At low levels and with just the main book, there really is no reason to have armor.
    If you have merely IAD (thus suffer no penalty for wearing armour), the bonus to Fort defense makes it worthwhile. Not to mention all the equipment installed in it, things like being able to breathe poisonous atmospheres.
    Last edited by Kiero; 2010-08-30 at 05:23 AM.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Make sure you grab an odd number for your intelligence score. Take Draw Fire at level 3 for your soldier talent, then multi-class into noble (or anything with Persuasion as a class skill) at level 4, use your stat boost to raise intelligence and train persuasion. If you skill focus the skill later you can literally tank without fail as a swift action every round.

As for your noble talent, Damage Reduction 10 is probably best, but it requires you to be at least Force Sensitive first.
    Avatar generously created by ukuleleninja