New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [3.5] Ubercharging Question

I am not too familiar with ubercharger builds, so I was wondering if somebody could help me out with these questions.

When your ubercharger attacks creatures with impressive reach, how do you avoid getting pummeled into oblivion from attacks of opportunity? Do you just suck it up and absorb it? Or is there some way to mitigate them?

Also, am I correct in that when facing a creature with greater than 10ft reach, you only provoke an attack of opportunity for one of the squares of movement? Or can you provoke multiple times (if the enemy has combat reflexes) enroute to the attack?

Last question, assuming you have the actions to do so, can you teleport as part of your movement during a charge attack?

Thanks.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Ubercharging Question

Equal or exceed it's reach- being Large with a reach weapon gets you 20 feet, and that's without really trying (any sort of cheap Enlarge effect will do it.) That's enough to match the reach of a Gargantuan creature, so you can charge without provoking (you provoke by moving out of the threatened square, not into it, unless the creature has specific feats or abilities to halt chargers.) If you're actually trying you can get your reach to the point where you will be 'too close to charge' from about 40 feet away.

For the AoO question: One provoking action only provokes once for any condition it meets. If you move through multiple threatened squares, you will- in the absence of special abilities or conditions that cause extra AoO triggers- only provoke once.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Another way to help with soaking AoOs is to stack miss chances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassetking View Post
    ...You don't know joy, until you look into the eyes of the GM, and see a scream of terror frozen right behind his pupils.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you have access to Maneuvers, most of the White Raven charge strikes let you ignore AoO.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

And Charging Minotaur, but that's more for bull rushes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    For the AoO question: One provoking action only provokes once for any condition it meets. If you move through multiple threatened squares, you will- in the absence of special abilities or conditions that cause extra AoO triggers- only provoke once.
    This! If you are designing an opponent for an übercharger, the Hold the Line Feat will give you another AoO. And of course, Large and in Charge is guaranteed to frustrate the charger to no end

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Remember that when you use Shock Trooper, your AC plummets into the single-digits, so the AoO WILL hit unless you have some sort of miss-chance. If the enemy is prepared, the AoO can be something like a Grapple or a Trip attempt, possibly stopping your charge completely.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Remember that when you use Shock Trooper, your AC plummets into the single-digits, so the AoO WILL hit unless you have some sort of miss-chance. If the enemy is prepared, the AoO can be something like a Grapple or a Trip attempt, possibly stopping your charge completely.
    or they could have evasive reflexes.
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Or, there's that one tactical Feat called Elusive Target that just completely negates your Power Attack damage. No BBEG should be without that feat

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

How to make an Ubercharger:

1) Optimize Power Attack

2) Get Pounce and Free Movement

3) Improve your size/reach

4) Get a good battlefield control combo (Trip, Stand Still, Bull Rush, etc).

5) Invest in Tumble cross class (if needed).

Charge into your closest enemies. If there's a particularly strong enemy you want to target, use free movement beforehand to line up your Charge or Tumble directly past or through your enemies - remember, Tumble DCs are fixed and Skills are easy to boost. Deal massive damage, killing everyone within your reach if possible. If anyone tries to counter attack via melee, they generally will need to move through your threatened area, which will usually provoke an AoO, allowing you to lock them down, push them away, Daze them, whatever.

The entire Ubercharger build can be accomplished by ECL 7-12ish via a wide variety of options. But you'll still be vulnerable to ranged attacks, magic, psionics, and supernatural abilities. So plan the rest of your build accordingly.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait, so you can tumble as part of a charge?

What about a teleport?
    Last edited by Crow; 2010-08-31 at 11:03 AM.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

With HiPS and good enough Hide/MS, one could hide and move silently while charging (-20 penalty to both).

Then retreat and re-hide with Travel Devotion.

[Edit]: I seem to recall Complete Adventurer (or Scoundrel, I can never remember which) had something to say about tumbling whilst charging.

Teleport is a no go, unless you have something that allows you to get charge equivalent without actually charging (such as Battle Jump).
    Last edited by Greenish; 2010-08-31 at 11:13 AM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Yes. Charge is only limited by terrain and obstacles (which themselves can be avoided in a variety of ways), not AoO or dodging AoO via Tumble.

What about a teleport?
    Charge is a Full Round Action. So if you can Teleport as a Swift or Immediate Action (Flicker, Psionic Dimension Door, Anklet of Translocation, etc) then yes, you can. Though it's debatable as to whether you could do it in the middle of the Charge, or just before or after.

There are also a variety of ways to go ethereal, which adds even more fun.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Person Man. You're a hero of mine. Seriously im going to make a floating cheese headed man out of wicker and the hopes and shattered dreams of children and worship you.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

What about a teleport?
    Don't forget that Tumbling reduces your speed to 1/2, swo your positioning needs to be better in order to do so.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Don't forget that Tumbling reduces your speed to 1/2, swo your positioning needs to be better in order to do so.
    Can't you do full movement, at the expense of higher tumble checks?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    Can't you do full movement, at the expense of higher tumble checks?
    Yes. It's imposes a -10 on your check.

18. - Top - End - #18

DC 25 allows you to Tumble at full speed. I'm sure there are magic items out there that boost it by +10. So any class with non-dumped Dex should be able to Tumble at full speed by mid levels with a moderate investment of 20ish Skill Points (10 if you have it as a class Skill).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    DC 25 allows you to Tumble at full speed. I'm sure there are magic items out there that boost it by +10. So any class with non-dumped Dex should be able to Tumble at full speed by mid levels with a moderate investment of 20ish Skill Points (10 if you have it as a class Skill).
    Get a ring of tumbling. I believe cost is Bonus squared times 100. Might cost more to put it onto armor though

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Alternatively, Shadow Blink or otherwise "teleport" from out of range to in range so you don't provoke. A Hood has suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Or, there's that one tactical Feat called Elusive Target that just completely negates your Power Attack damage. No BBEG should be without that feat
    Where can I find this?
    No levelled malice
    Infects one comma in the course I hold;
    But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forth on,
    Leaving no track behind.

Andrew Eldritch Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
    Psionic Tricks Handbook (WIP!)

Brainstorming thread for a Basic FAQ (WIP!)

Oh, and you can just call me KA.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Complete Warrior, in the Tactical Feat section which is slightly after the general feat section. Page 110 to be exact.

Also, it only works against your Dodge target, so it doesn't work if you haven't acted yet this round, or if if you took on of the Pseudo-dodge feats like Expeditious Dodge or Desert Wind Dodge, since they don't assign Dodge targets.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2010-09-03 at 12:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

Why, thank you!
    No levelled malice
    Infects one comma in the course I hold;
    But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forth on,
    Leaving no track behind.

Andrew Eldritch Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
    Psionic Tricks Handbook (WIP!)

Brainstorming thread for a Basic FAQ (WIP!)

Oh, and you can just call me KA.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am FULLY CHARGED!

Couldn't resist. My apologies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht
    Quote Originally Posted by zyborg
    A certain divine ability confused me so much. I was playing the PC game "Icewind Dale", and got to an undead-infested area. I clicked a button, and tried to walk past them. Sure enough, they started attacking me. "Why are they attacking me," I asked myself. "I'm one of them. I already used..."

"TURN UNDEAD"
    Pardon me sir, but I think you dropped these sunglasses.
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Current Characters + Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

- Gaius in Dead to Rights
    - Basaran in With Hearts of Iron

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zieu View Post
    I am FULLY CHARGED!

Couldn't resist. My apologies.
    Tangentially related, and obligatory
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Just to make sure I'm reading the Charge special attack correctly. Doesn't it state that even if you get multiple attacks, you can only make one attack during a charge? If you use Pounce to get multiple attacks afterwards, Shock Trooper doesn't apply and the characters Power Attack penalties apply as normal plus the AC penalty from Shock Trooper. So really it's only one good solid high damage hit and a flurry of misses?
    "I am bleeding, making me the victor!" - Wimp Lo, 'Kung Pow'
    "Nonsense! I would never do such a thing unless you were already having been going to do that!" - Professor Hubert Farnsworth A, 'Futurama'

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Funkyodor View Post
    If you use Pounce to get multiple attacks afterwards, Shock Trooper doesn't apply and the characters Power Attack penalties apply as normal plus the AC penalty from Shock Trooper.
    No, the bonuses and penalties from PA apply for the whole round.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Yes. Charge is only limited by terrain and obstacles (which themselves can be avoided in a variety of ways), not AoO or dodging AoO via Tumble.
    Just to clarify:
    Tumble restricts you to one-half your speed. With a -10 modifier, you can move your speed. Charge allows you to move up to twice your speed.
    So depending on how much you move during your charge, you can try using Tumble or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Also, it only works against your Dodge target, so it doesn't work if you haven't acted yet this round, or if if you took on of the Pseudo-dodge feats like Expeditious Dodge or Desert Wind Dodge, since they don't assign Dodge targets.
    That's... debatable. About Expeditious Dodge, for example: after you mov ethe required X foot, wouldn't all other characters be your 'designated Dodge target'?
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2010-09-03 at 07:48 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

theres also a magic item that lets you ignore AoO's

or just get a DR
    Blink/greater blink?
    if you have concealment you cant get aoo'd - so invisibility/blur/darkness?

thres a load of ways to avoid it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malbordeus View Post
    if you have concealment you cant get aoo'd - so invisibility/blur/darkness?
    Blur and Darkness wouldn't work, since only total concealment prevents AoO.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show