New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Invisibility, how do you deal with it?

So i've got a question - when you use miniatures, how do you deal with a miniature (not a PC obviously) that suddenly becomes invisible? Remove the miniature and track it's whereabouts, leave it there, or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    That does not change the fact that were his proportions normalized, I would invite him into my magnificent mansion anytime. With Extend Metamagic.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Invisibility, how do you deal with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrayll View Post
    So i've got a question - when you use miniatures, how do you deal with a miniature (not a PC obviously) that suddenly becomes invisible? Remove the miniature and track it's whereabouts, leave it there, or what?
    What I do is remove the miniature and keep track of it. I use a separate grid in a notebook for such events, so i know where it is but not the player.
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I just remove the mini/marker and mentally keep track. Not that hard really. If I screw up and the players question how NPC Bob moved 50' and attacked then I smile and let them use their imagination. Sometimes I'll toss in something special in the loot, like a ring of something or other with a couple charges left or something.
    The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

What is best in life?
    To win initiative, to roll natural 20s, and to hear the lamentations of the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    And in reality, a golem made out of neutronium would...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Curious View Post
    What I do is remove the miniature and keep track of it. I use a separate grid in a notebook for such events, so i know where it is but not the player.
    This is exactly what I do. Of course, when players turn invisible, they are welcome to do the same, or if they prefer, they can leave him on the table but specify invisibility. However, I feel the model off table makes it much less likely to be overlooked or forgotten.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BobSutan View Post
    I just remove the mini/marker and mentally keep track. Not that hard really.
    I also use this method.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

If the PC is invisible (or flying), we put the miniature on a die as a courtesy to the DM. If the NPC is invisible, he keeps mentally keeps track of it until it reveals itself or the PCs somehow counter its invisibility.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Invisible NPCs vanish. They may reappear later somewhere they could conceivably be. I don't necessarily keep track of it--Schrodinger's NPC, and all that.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BobSutan View Post
    I just remove the mini/marker and mentally keep track. Not that hard really. If I screw up and the players question how NPC Bob moved 50' and attacked then I smile and let them use their imagination. Sometimes I'll toss in something special in the loot, like a ring of something or other with a couple charges left or something.
    This is what I do too

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Heh, this tends not to be a problem for our group - thanks to the warlock who can see invisibility all the time

Usually though, our DM uses little glass markers, we know that means only the warlock can see it. If it's one of us, we don't bother doing anything, our group is small, so forgetting something like that isn't generally a problem. And we don't seem to go invisible that often (except the warlock, who does it at every opporutunity).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Curious View Post
    Yeah, that's the best solution.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

For an NPC: I, as the DM, keep track of the movement of the invisible NPC until such time as it's movement or action would elicit notice from one of the PC's.

PC's have a milk jug ring placed around the mini to represent being invisible at the time.

NPC's and PC's who are flying are placed on a die. The number on the top indicates elevation. Thus, if you are 60' up, you would be on a d6 with the 6 being facing up. For 100' up, you're on a d10 with the 0 facing up. We generally don't tend to deal with heights higher than 120', but I've always got percentiles, if necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    NPC's and PC's who are flying are placed on a die. The number on the top indicates elevation. Thus, if you are 60' up, you would be on a d6 with the 6 being facing up. For 100' up, you're on a d10 with the 0 facing up. We generally don't tend to deal with heights higher than 120', but I've always got percentiles, if necessary.
    Oooh, that's genius! I might have to suggest that to our group. Our warlock can fly, and frequently does, we usually just stick his mini on top of one of our dice containers. But I love the idea of using a die to indicate how high they are - which is something we sometimes have trouble keeping track of.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Davester View Post
    If the PC is invisible (or flying), we put the miniature on a die as a courtesy to the DM. If the NPC is invisible, he keeps mentally keeps track of it until it reveals itself or the PCs somehow counter its invisibility.
    We use dice(or the clear plastic containers they come in) as a way to denote all flying. Flip the container on it's side if you need to show multiple levels.

Im sure someone has designed something better, but it's an easy way to visually show it without any special stuff.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

Have players throw lots of flour on the ground IC, then throw flour on the grid and draw whatever tracks the players see on the flour; illustration
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

If the invisible creature is nearby we use a quarter to represent his approximate location. Presumption is that someone has a high enough listen to get a general location.

If the invisible creature is over 30' away then the DM just picks up the quarter and mentally estimates the location.