New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Stormguard Warrior question

If I have a tripper build that uses Stormguard Warrior and I refrain from using AoOs, does it use up any of my AoOs for the round?

also, if I have a reach of 20ft, an enemy moves from 20ft away from me (within reach) to 15 ft away, leaving a threatened square, and I refrain from using an AoO on him, do i threaten another AoO from him moving another 5ft closer?
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Stormguard Warrior question

Quote Originally Posted by The Rabbler View Post
    If I have a tripper build that uses Stormguard Warrior and I refrain from using AoOs, does it use up any of my AoOs for the round?
    Refraining from taking an AoO does not use up the AoO, in so far as I recall the feat.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rabbler View Post
    also, if I have a reach of 20ft, an enemy moves from 20ft away from me (within reach) to 15 ft away, leaving a threatened square, and I refrain from using an AoO on him, do i threaten another AoO from him moving another 5ft closer?
    No, a single action can only provoke one AoO per turn. After moving out of a threatened square once (and you refraining from taking the AoO provoked), he can run circles around you without provoking again (provided that he has enough movement left).
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

The wording is "refrain from taking an AoO", not "use it up without doing anything", so your AoO limit should be untouched.

You have an underlying misunderstanding there too: Movement can only provoke attacks of opportunity once per round.
    Once you provoke an AoO by movement in a round, your movement in that round will not provoke another AoO against the creatures he provoked against before.
    Last edited by Snake-Aes; 2010-09-01 at 01:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

This actually creates kinda an interesting side question for me. Say you do have 20' reach. Say its more tactically advantageous to trip the foe at 10' instead of the maximal 20' you have the potential to (say, your allies would then all be within 5' full attack range). Can you opt to delay the AoO you get for that foe moving through your threatened squares until precisely the moment you want? Assume no Stormguard for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

alright, that's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification.
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    This actually creates kinda an interesting side question for me. Say you do have 20' reach. Say its more tactically advantageous to trip the foe at 10' instead of the maximal 20' you have the potential to (say, your allies would then all be within 5' full attack range). Can you opt to delay the AoO you get for that foe moving through your threatened squares until precisely the moment you want? Assume no Stormguard for this.
    I don't think so. The opponent automatically provokes for his first movement outof a threatened square, but does not provoke for any further movement within your threat radius that turn. Whether or not you choose to take the AoO is a different factor, but it won't allow you to take the AoO later in his movement, because he won't have provoked then. A readied action would work, but that's an entirely different situation.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    This actually creates kinda an interesting side question for me. Say you do have 20' reach. Say its more tactically advantageous to trip the foe at 10' instead of the maximal 20' you have the potential to (say, your allies would then all be within 5' full attack range). Can you opt to delay the AoO you get for that foe moving through your threatened squares until precisely the moment you want?
    It seems to me you couldn't by the rules, since by moving out of a square you threaten, the enemy provokes, and you can either take or pass the AoO, but not delay it, and the enemy's movement can no longer provoke.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.