New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] Monk weapons.

Yes. Another Monk Thread.

Anyway, while this will likely devolve into the usual nonsense that all monk threads do, I want to ask the Playground's opinion on something I've been pondering to help out the beleaguered class.

As it is, only their Unarmed Strikes increase in damage as they level. But would the end result be too unbalanced (ha!) if Monk levels increased the damage done by all monk weapons?

For example, the damage of a quarterstaff would become (Not including modifiers):
    Normal, non-monk damage: 1d6/1d6
    Lv 1: 1d8/1d8
    Lv 4: 1d10/1d10
    Lv 8: 2d6/2d6
    Lv12: 2d8/2d8
    Lv16: 2d10/2d10
    Lv20: 2d12/2d12

This would apply to any weapons that the monk was capable of flurrying, such as all martial weapons through use of Shou Disciple.

In addition, these are what I'd say should be added to the monks proficiency list*:
    Spoiler
    Show
    From core:
    Simple:
    >Punching Dagger
    >Shortspear
    >Dart

Martial:
    >Kukri

Exotic:
    >Bolas

Any suggestions from other sources?

And finally, keep away from discussing the other myriad weaknesses and flaws in the class in general. They're not why this thread is here. At lest not yet.

*Yes, I know monks weren't proficient with unarmed strikes by RAW.
    Last edited by Reynard; 2010-09-02 at 03:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Monk weapons.

If the other weapons get increased damage as well, then why would monks want to use unarmed strikes? Weapons have the advantages of being able to be enchanted magically without going through hoops.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Not to mention that a monk using a weapon other than a spear, for the d8 die before boost, would be worse off than one using a spear.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Good point about the spear. *removes*

As for making regular unarmed strikes pointless, weren't they sort of already? It's usually been too much of a rigmarole to keep up with the other beatsticks in terms of damage, even if you use Kensai. UA still has use when being taken captive and losing your equipment, or in grapples.

Situational, yes, but punching things barehanded really should be a last resort if you have a weapon handy.
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    Situational, yes, but punching things barehanded really should be a last resort if you have a weapon handy.
    Much like not wearing armour should be the last resort, if you can afford it.

The whole monk concept isn't very realistic, even without going into it's supernatural abilities. If you're going to use weapons (and mayhap even wear armour), you might as well pick a better class.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like it. How about if unarmed strikes get an enhancement bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls equal to 1/4 of the monk level? (similar to a druid with the shapeshift alternative class feature).

7. - Top - End - #7

Flumph

I wouldn't increase the monk weapon damage. But one thing I want to do is make monk weapons more 'universal'. Each would do the standard damage amount. But any of them could use all of the traditional special weapon abilities. Only one ability could be used in any one round (say Trip) on all attacks made in that round. Basically the skill in the weapons is built into the class rather than being intrinsic to any of the weapons themselves. Each monk weapon could use any and all of the weapon characteristics. But only one at any one time.

But monk weapons are just an excuse to carry magical enhancements. :)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Much like not wearing armour should be the last resort, if you can afford it.

The whole monk concept isn't very realistic, even without going into it's supernatural abilities. If you're going to use weapons (and mayhap even wear armour), you might as well pick a better class.
    Some people love the concept though. And some think that Monk(concept) need to used the Monk(class). Swordsages might just be better, but they don't fix the Monk's problems, only completely replace the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Davester View Post
    I like it. How about if unarmed strikes get an enhancement bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls equal to 1/4 of the monk level? (similar to a druid with the shapeshift alternative class feature).
    That could work. Plus, it'd also make Kensai shenanigans easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsubo 57 View Post
    I wouldn't increase the monk weapon damage. But one thing I want to do is make monk weapons more 'universal'. Each would do the standard damage amount. But any of them could use all of the traditional special weapon abilities. Only one ability could be used in any one round (say Trip) on all attacks made in that round. Basically the skill in the weapons is built into the class rather than being intrinsic to any of the weapons themselves. Each monk weapon could use any and all of the weapon characteristics. But only one at any one time.
    Hmm. Interesting idea. But I could see people (Fighters, Barbarians, etc) using monk dips to get this universal weapon shtick. Would you also let Monks (maybe at a higher level) deal any sort of damage (Piercing, Slashing, Bludgeoning) with any weapon?

But monk weapons are just an excuse to carry magical enhancements. :)
    Do Monks really need one? they tend to have the highest need for full (or higher) WBL, and that's just to stay not too far behind.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Flumph

I would only allow a single weapon to deal any one type of damage. I like the ascetic I guess. Different weapon forms and all.

Some magical enhancements are different from what a monk can do alone. Additionally it means there are things the monk does not have to touch... which can be important depending on the nature & physical make-up of an enemy...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    Some people love the concept though. And some think that Monk(concept) need to used the Monk(class). Swordsages might just be better, but they don't fix the Monk's problems, only completely replace the class.
    But the "not using weapons" is pretty central to the concept, no? You're trying to fix monk's problems by changing the concept, which I was pointing out.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.