New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Question LA for Topiary Guardian?

My DM might let me take a Topiary Guardian as a cohort/wild cohort, if I can get a general consensus on a level adjustment for it? I'm talking about the template, not the specific examples, from MM3. Any good guestimates of your own? I tried using the Savage Species advice but got nowhere.

Thanks in advance!
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: LA for Topiary Guardian?

Cohort or Wild Cohort, it makes a fairly big difference. Cohort runs off of ECL. Wild Cohort runs off of Animal Companion (with an additional -3 tacked on) which in itself runs off of CR.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just looking for the standard LA change for this template. So, if I apply it to a Pegasus (for example), which is ECL 6 (4HD +2LA), what should the final ECL be, approximately?
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The problem is that it ignores so much of the base creatures statistics, including HD (it does leave Nat armor).

Being a plant is worth +1 LA.
    DR that isn't penetrated by magic is worth +2 in theory (in practice slashing is so very common though)
    Tremorsense is +1 LA
    The ability scores are +1 LA.
    Freeze might be +1 LA
    Losing all its feats and Fire Vulnerability really hurt though.

How much is gained and how much is loss varies from creature to creature. If I absolutely had to say I'd say replace the RHD, add 2 to the LA, or 1 if the creature had flight; add more if it loses RHD by having them reduced to the amount the template sets it at. But really this is a really rough estimate of the LA it ought to have and not liable to be accurate.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Assanya View Post
    Topiary is the art or practice of trimming and shaping plants into ornamental shapes. Forms can be any object or geometric shape can think of. You can buy a shrub or a tree and form yourself, or purchase one from a local nursery, which has already been formed.

The most popular forms of hedges are "spiral", "ponpom", "Spaniel level" and "standards".
    Wait, what? Who was asking what topiary was?

As far as an LA, I don't think that an LA can exist for templates that make a creature mindless. Weaker creatures become more powerful while more powerful creatures can become much weaker.

If your DM allowed you to have an awakened topiary guardian, however, I'd say that the LA is around +3.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Realms of Chaos View Post
    As far as an LA, I don't think that an LA can exist for templates that make a creature mindless. Weaker creatures become more powerful while more powerful creatures can become much weaker.
    More than that, LA exists purely for creatures that can be PCs or cohorts, both of which require not being mindless.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by IdleMuse View Post
    My DM might let me take a Topiary Guardian as a cohort/wild cohort, if I can get a general consensus on a level adjustment for it? I'm talking about the template, not the specific examples, from MM3. Any good guestimates of your own? I tried using the Savage Species advice but got nowhere.
    The Template has LA -- indicating these are not suitable for cohorts. However, if your DM will allow it, I would guess it to be LA +0 for a Medium, LA +1 for a Large and LA +2 for Huge wouldn't be out of line.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread