New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Monsters with inappropriate CR

Hi playgrounders,

are there any lists of creatures whose CR rating is commonly regarded either too high or too low? Or creatures who can be considerably stronger or weaker based on other circumstances such as terrain?

Edit: Here's an ongoing list of creatures mentioned. I didn't verify...

Spoiler
    Show
    Under-CRed:
    Just about anything (MM2)
    Aboleth (MM)
    Adamantine Horror (MM2)
    Allip (MM)
    Beholder (MM)
    Catoblepas (MM2)
    Clockwork Horror (MM2)
    Dire Ape (MM)
    Many dire wolves (MM)
    Dracotaur? (MM3)
    Drowned (MM3)
    Dragons (MM et al.)
    Elemental Weird (MM2)
    Fleshraker (MM3)
    Forest Sloth (MM2)
    Hobgoblin Warsoul (MM5)
    Ibrandlin (MoF)
    Immoth (MM2)
    Low-level swarms (MM et al.)
    That damned crab (Web)
    Orc (MM)
    Planetar (and other good outsiders, MM)
    Remorhaz (MM)
    Vorr? (FF)

Over-CRed:
    Azer (MM)
    Grick (MM)
    Mephits (MM)
    Ogre Mage? (MM)
    Treant (MM)
    Last edited by DonEsteban; 2010-09-03 at 04:32 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Monsters with inappropriate CR

The Adamantine Horror in MM2 is famously overpowered for its CR.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Obviously, there's that damned crab.

A generic MM Orc is under CRed. It's 1/2 cr, yet is better than many CR 1s.

Very low level swarms might be under CRed, on the basis that they're harder than usual for parties to deal with early on. This goes away quickly, though.

Likewise, Dire Ape is kind of a blender for melee types at CR2. Not horrible, but probably could be boosted to 3 legitimately.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2010-09-03 at 08:39 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Hobgoblin Warsoul from MMV is my personal favorite. At CR 8 it casts as a 9th-level wizard, has 10 monstrous humanoid hit dice, +20 in racial ability bonuses AND the elite array, plus useful spell-like abilities and built-in minions. This is so much better than a CR 8 8th-level wizard that it's kind of silly.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-09-03 at 10:27 AM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Step 1: Crack open MM2
    Step 2: Point to any page
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Clockwork Horror? A CR9 creature who can cast disintegrate, implosion (level 9 spell), and disjunction (another level 9 spell), save DC 15+ spell level AT WILL.

Seriously, who sat down and said "Yes, this is a decent challenge for a party of 9th level characters!" The supreme munchkin players among munchkins?

Really, any creature in MM2. Catoblepas? A CR6 huge monster that fire a save or die death ray every 1-4 rounds.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Isn't aboleth also apart of this agregation?
    Check out the Hansbachman Blog, it's a cure for all of your ills!
    It's Grade A, Top Notch, and One of a Kind!
    All natural, Backwards Compatible and Moving Forward with the times.
    We're off-brand, off-tempo, and on point, with an ear to the ground, finger on the pulse, and hand on the trigger.
    We're on the beat like Ginsberg, hyper-aware and hyper-active.
    Running on multi-actuated heavy duty pistons with a pistol grip.

Thanks to Dashwood for the Extravagant Avatar

7. - Top - End - #7

Yeah, That Damn Crab is the posterchild; you aren't beating it without either an extremely überoptimized party, or characters specifically built to beat it (or luck in having said characters in normal game).

Fleshraker [MM3] is pretty bad (also broken animal companion/wildshape form for Druids who weren't good enough) & just about every Dragon, Beholder and good Outsider is either par de course or insanely overpowered, depending on whether you consider all the other monsters over-CRd or not.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    Step 1: Crack open MM2
    Step 2: Point to any page
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Clockwork Horror? A CR9 creature who can cast disintegrate, implosion (level 9 spell), and disjunction (another level 9 spell), save DC 15+ spell level AT WILL.

Seriously, who sat down and said "Yes, this is a decent challenge for a party of 9th level characters!" The supreme munchkin players among munchkins?
    I mentioned this:
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The Adamantine Horror in MM2 is famously overpowered for its CR.
    The other Clockwork Horrors aren't so bad.

Another source for unbalanced monsters: Monsters of Faerun. The Ibrandlin- a Gargantuan wingless dragon, has a very low CR (something like CR ?)
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-09-03 at 10:24 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Revived Fossil Baboon is pretty OP for CR 1; DR 10/adamantine, a decent AC, decent damage (multiple natural attacks with damage bonuses), and 28 HP. Besides being stupidly vulnerable to turning, it's pretty much unbeatable for a level 1 party.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Allips are pretty bad, CR 3 they are incorporeal and have a decent flight speed and can drain wisdom with touch attacks. Most parties shouldn't have extraordinary trouble with it, but they do have an Int of 11 which means a lot of popping in and out of the environment. A few good rolls can cripple a low level party, especially since the melee'rs are going to be having significant trouble hitting it even with magical weapons.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Zore View Post
    Allips are pretty bad, CR 3 they are incorporeal and have a decent flight speed and can drain wisdom with touch attacks. Most parties shouldn't have extraordinary trouble with it, but they do have an Int of 11 which means a lot of popping in and out of the environment. A few good rolls can cripple a low level party, especially since the melee'rs are going to be having significant trouble hitting it even with magical weapons.
    Uhm, "most parties wouldn't have trouble with it"? It's a supposedly alright challenge for level 1 party; you'll have a hard time finding a level 1 party that could deal with it at all. Turning it is a fool's errand and Wisdom Drain tends to disable the (typically low Touch AC) Divine Caster real fast. And it sorta heals with each hit and has 26 HP. And that's without even accounting for its Babble which means the guy who could deal the damage is likely disabled.

They don't kill particularly fast but they're extremely durable (hard to hit, hard to damage, "regenerates" damage and turning is useless as it just runs through walls then until it wears off; and that's against an effective 6 HD monster), hard to affect and have a reliable, hard-to-resist attack.

Lesser evil, but still insanely tough monster for its CR, is Shadow. Incorporeals in general hurt but Allip, having Intelligence, is particularly obnoxious attacking from within walls, Babbling and just wreaking havoc.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-09-03 at 10:53 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Thanks for your advice. So it seems nobody has compiled a well-thought-out "Dungeon Masters Beware!" list so far.

I'll file that incredible crab under "typo"! It got corrected in Stormwrack, too...

I think I remember someone mentioning Ogre Mage in this category...
    Last edited by DonEsteban; 2010-09-03 at 12:27 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban View Post
    Thanks for your advice. So it seems nobody has compiled a well-thought-out "Dungeon Masters Beware!" list so far.

I'll file that incredible crab under "typo"! It got corrected in Stormwrack, too...

Well ogre mage is one of the few creatures I've killed a PC with... but that had more to do with the character being woefully under-optimized and rushing into a melee with several enemies at once (that and a max damage critical hit). I haven't really found them all that powerful.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban View Post
    Ogre Mage is in the "over-CRed" category. It has some handy abilities, but it's far too fragile for CR 8.

Our 9th-level party fought one in our Seven Kingdoms campaign. The ogre mage got a surprise round on us and hit us with its most powerful AoE attack from behind. It died before it got to take another action.
    Last edited by Saph; 2010-09-03 at 12:40 PM.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Fleshrakers (MM3) are CR 2. They are not extraordinarily tough to kill, but with something that has four natural attacks (three of them poisonous), the hide skill to get a surprise round most of the time, and a special attack that gives them a full attack + rend + trip + grapple on every charge, you better be damn quick about it if you don't want the dino to live up to its name.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

The Immoth from MM2 is horrendously under-CRed. It is strictly more powerful by a substantial margin than a normal level 12 Sorcerer (which would have a well-deserved CR 12), yet its CR is 9.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2010-09-03 at 12:50 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

I remember Dracotaurs (sp?) being pretty damned dangerous for their CR.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

There's a monster in the MM2 I believe called the Linnorm. CR 13 and casts as a 17th level cleric. Not sure if this is as bad as it seems to me but that sounds like inappropriate CR.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Generally speaking, any monster with offensive SLAs or casting well in excess of their character level is inappropriately CRed.

I'd agree on the Linnorm

20. - Top - End - #20

Elemental Weirds are CR12 and have 18th level Sorcerer spellcasting. Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    There's a monster in the MM2 I believe called the Linnorm. CR 13 and casts as a 17th level cleric. Not sure if this is as bad as it seems to me but that sounds like inappropriate CR.
    Um, the Linnorms I see are CR 20, 25 and 28.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by volthawk View Post
    Um, the Linnorms I see are CR 20, 25 and 28.
    Huh. Maybe I was thinking of Hit dice?

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Huh. Maybe I was thinking of Hit dice?
    Yeah. Gray Linnorms have 13HD.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by volthawk View Post
    Yeah. Gray Linnorms have 13HD.
    Ah. Never mind then.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Away from my books but Remorhaz can be really nasty. Swallow whole (~8d6/round), weapon destruction, burrowing, all at about CR7-8.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

On the other side of the equation, I'd say that Azer, Gricks, Mephits, and Treants are probably overrated by at least 1.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Elemental Weirds are CR12 and have 18th level Sorcerer spellcasting. Yep.
    Worse- their regeneration does not specify what overcomes it. The 3.5 update didn't say, either. So RAW, they are like the Tarrasque- super-regenerators.

The two Weirds in Frostburn at least specified that their regeneration could be overcome by something.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Voors. DAMMIT VOORS!! *shakes fist in impotent rage* From MM4 comes the Voor, a monster that pretty much defines "Glass Cannon". It has a crapload of attacks (6 total, 4 of which are 20 ft reach each of which does 1d6+6 on a +10 atk, the other 2 are 10 ft that deal 1d6+3 on a +8), has DR 5/good, has SR 15, is immune to fire and acid and resistant to cold/electric 10, has a Climb speed, has blindsense 120 ft, rends for a bunch of damage, and has Combat Reflexes. The issue? It has 37 hp.

CR? FOUR.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-09-03 at 02:58 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

29. - Top - End - #29

Good Outsiders in general already got a mention, but the Planetar in particular has always just made me laugh with how under-CR'ed it is.

Let's take a Cleric 17, make him Large, give him good DR and SR and resistances, regeneration, shapechanging, nice stat boosts, a buttload of extra skillpoints, and a large array of useful SLAs ... and call it CR 16. What?

... And here I was, thinking Cleric was a pretty strong class ... but apparently not ...
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

direwolves are a good fight when they're alone, but their CR doesnt rise as much as the actual difficulty in killing a group of them because they pretty much always trip whatever they hit.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever: