New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Mournland and Body Adjustment

I have a very easy (or is it hard?) question, does Body Adjustment work in the Mournland?

And what other forms of healing do/don't work? Although I do know that Goodberry works because it is transmutation.
    Thanks to Tiffanie Lirle for the avatar. :D

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Mournland and Body Adjustment

Sure it does. The Mournlands only shuts down Conjuration (Healing) spells and natural healing. Anything else is good to go. Anything.
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2010-09-03 at 03:55 PM.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan Arquest View Post
    I have a very easy (or is it hard?) question, does Body Adjustment work in the Mournland?

And what other forms of healing do/don't work? Although I do know that Goodberry works because it is transmutation.
    Body Adjustment
    Psychometabolism (Healing)
    You take control of your body’s healing process, curing yourself of 1d12 points of damage. As usual, when regular damage is healed, an equal amount of nonlethal damage is also healed.
    I'd say it's iffy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

If you're using Psionics-Magic Transparency, then I'd recommend forbidding Body Adjustment from working in the mournland, since any spell with the healing subschool would be blocked.

However, The Sage seems to think that you'd be fine.

Otherwise, anything goes. The only real gotcha is Fast Healing, which is actually considered to be a special case of natural healing.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2010-09-03 at 05:03 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic View Post
    Sure it does. The Mournlands only shuts down Conjuration (Healing) spells and natural healing. Anything else is good to go. Anything.
    Funny. To my thinking, the only way to get any healing of any kind what so ever in Mournland is to be a warforged, and use repair construct.

That's why that Lord of Blades guy likes it there. Fairly solid tactical advantage against anyone else =)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Acromos View Post
    Funny. To my thinking, the only way to get any healing of any kind what so ever in Mournland is to be a warforged, and use repair construct.

That's why that Lord of Blades guy likes it there. Fairly solid tactical advantage against anyone else =)
    There are a few gaps, goodberry and I believe I've read that paladin lay on hands works too, some of the tome of battle devoted spirit stuff is probably debatable too. Apparently psychometabolism is equivalent to transmutation, so would actually work on a juggernaut, but it's a healing subschool so would only benefit them 50% due to the wording on heal immunity on juggernauts and heal resistance from warforged.

ECS page 188 says this about the mournlands though "Natural healing does not occur in the Mournland, and spells and spell-like effects of the healing subschool do not work" so it probably wouldn't work there. The fluff is using natural healing, the mechanics is a healing subschool of psychomatabolism.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrasodium View Post
    There are a few gaps, goodberry and I believe I've read that paladin lay on hands works too, some of the tome of battle devoted spirit stuff is probably debatable too. Apparently psychometabolism is equivalent to transmutation, so would actually work on a juggernaut, but it's a healing subschool so would only benefit them 50% due to the wording on heal immunity on juggernauts and heal resistance from warforged.

ECS page 188 says this about the mournlands though "Natural healing does not occur in the Mournland, and spells and spell-like effects of the healing subschool do not work" so it probably wouldn't work there. The fluff is using natural healing, the mechanics is a healing subschool of psychomatabolism.
    See that's what I thought as well. The description for the Power is that you control your body's natural healing cycle and accelerate it. Since it is "technically" natural, it shouldn't work. Goodberry works because it is transmutation, but the way Body Adjustment is worded means it shouldn't work. Thanks for the help on this issue, but if anyone can quote "word of god" that it DOES work, be sure to post.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lesser_minion View Post
    If you're using Psionics-Magic Transparency, then I'd recommend forbidding Body Adjustment from working in the mournland, since any spell with the healing subschool would be blocked.

However, The Sage seems to think that you'd be fine.

Otherwise, anything goes. The only real gotcha is Fast Healing, which is actually considered to be a special case of natural healing.
    Do the mournlands block "Conjuration(Healing)" or do they block "(healing)"? Because if they block Conjurations with the healing subtype, BA is fine since the psychometabolism analog is transmutation.

9. - Top - End - #9

It only says spells and spell-like effects of the healing subschool. And Body Adjustment says "psycho-metabolism (healing)."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Then no BA, I guess.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

That's right, no healing for you fleshbag! Wither and die in the cold desolation of Mournlands. You cannot escape the living spells, undead, and harsh unnatural weather weakling. Only the children of the Lord of Blades prosper here. This place is like us, hard and merciless. As the life leaves you know that you are nothing, and you have nothing, and all that you have accomplished crumbles to naught but ashes in the wind when we come to cleanse the land of your corruption. ALL HAIL THE LORD OF BLADES!!

....lol
    Last edited by Marnath; 2010-09-03 at 10:09 PM.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    That's right, no healing for you fleshbag! Wither and die in the cold desolation of Mournlands. You cannot escape the living spells, undead, and harsh unnatural weather weakling. Only the children of the Lord of Blades prosper here. This place is like us, hard and merciless. As the life leaves you know that you are nothing, and you have nothing, and all that you have accomplished crumbles to naught but ashes in the wind when we come to cleanse the land of your corruption. ALL HAIL THE LORD OF BLADES!!

....lol
    Vigor/Share Pain + Empathic Transfer still works just fine you metallic hunk of junk.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_warlock View Post
    Vigor/Share Pain + Empathic Transfer still works just fine you metallic hunk of junk.
    Lol, but how long can you keep that up being harried literally 24/7? Eventually you'll get tired

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Lol, but how long can you keep that up being harried literally 24/7? Eventually you'll get tired
    When your plan is "wait until he's tired from killing us!", you might want to rethink your plan .

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    When your plan is "wait until he's tired from killing us!", you might want to rethink your plan .
    Huh? I never said that. By harried, I was thinking more "I jump out from behind a rock and throw my spear, and then run back over the hill and hide again." If you are skirmishing/harrying an enemy and they kill you, you're doing it wrong. Terrain and tactics are important for that. Come at your enemy from every way except where you want them to go, give them no choice but one to escape a hail of arrows and spears from the dark.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrasodium View Post
    "Natural healing does not occur in the Mournland, and spells and spell-like effects of the healing subschool do not work"
    That, to me, means: Your hitpoints had better last until you cross the border again.

I do agree that if you insist on reading only what it says, several ways of getting hitpoints back might work. But I never read anything that way. To me, healing in Mournland is a no go. No return of any hitpoints by any power under the sun. Except that constructs can be repaired - and well ... possibly negative energy would heal undead? I dunno ...?! Yea - I've just decided that it would.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Acromos View Post
    That, to me, means: Your hitpoints had better last until you cross the border again.

I do agree that if you insist on reading only what it says, several ways of getting hitpoints back might work. But I never read anything that way. To me, healing in Mournland is a no go. No return of any hitpoints by any power under the sun. Except that constructs can be repaired - and well ... possibly negative energy would heal undead? I dunno ...?! Yea - I've just decided that it would.
    .....You don't know about goodberry? First level Druid spell, Word of God, works in the Mournland.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

It only says spells and spell-like effects of the healing subschool. And Body Adjustment says "psycho-metabolism (healing)."
    To actually contribute to the thread, I'd have to say if this is the RAW then no I wouldn't allow Body adjustment. But then, I'd have tried my hardest to kill you at the fog

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sydonai View Post
    .....You don't know about goodberry? First level Druid spell, Word of God, works in the Mournland.
    There's also Goodberry Wine (or something like that), which is specifically called as working in the Mournland.

[Edit]: And Cyre Scout PrC allows natural healing in Mournland.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2010-09-05 at 03:19 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Huh? I never said that. By harried, I was thinking more "I jump out from behind a rock and throw my spear, and then run back over the hill and hide again." If you are skirmishing/harrying an enemy and they kill you, you're doing it wrong. Terrain and tactics are important for that. Come at your enemy from every way except where you want them to go, give them no choice but one to escape a hail of arrows and spears from the dark.
    Except that your "skirmish" tactics fail in the face of a lvl 1 druid spell: entangle. Massive area of effect, long range (much farther than your piddly movement rate, even at a dead run).

Druid: never leave home without one.
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2010-09-05 at 05:20 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

I just remembered the ultimate workaround to the healing problem... Rope Trick at 9th caster level. You are technically in another plane, and if cast at lvl 9, you have a place to sleep the requisite 8 hours. :D

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Dread Necromancer + Tomb Tainted Soul. Never rely on Conjuration (Healing) to get to full HP again.

Also would Touch of Healing (Complete Champion page 62) work? It's a reserve feat that requires a conjuration (healing) spell that you have available to cast, and its power is based off of your highest level healing spell available, but it is in fact a supernatural ability and therefore doesn't have any school or subschool. So it should be RAW legal, although probably not intentional. Then again it keeps the party stuck at 50% or less health which still makes the Mournlands lethal.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Seems like it'd be quite appropriate, even if RAW legal. Running around at half hp is no joke.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_warlock View Post
    Except that your "skirmish" tactics fail in the face of a lvl 1 druid spell: entangle. Massive area of effect, long range (much farther than your piddly movement rate, even at a dead run).

Druid: never leave home without one.
    Fun fact, entangle isn't much use in the Mournland.

Area: Plants in a 40-ft.-radius spread
    Not much in the way of shrubbery out here.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

This is all dependant on whether your DM classifies psionics and spells as the same thing or 2 seperate entitites.

If they classify them as the same then it wouldn't work... if different then it should work
    Last edited by mobdrazhar; 2010-09-05 at 11:22 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Warforged: We can draw the guards away from the treasury if we set that orphanage two blocks down on fire.

Paladin: wtf, NO! Why would you say something like that?

Warforged: Fine, fine. I'll go burn down the church instead. I bet the screams of the monks will carry farther than the children's anyway, judging on their singing capacity.

Paladin: I've got a better idea. You shut up and we'll send the rogue around back >.<

26. - Top - End - #26

I'm the DM for this campaign and I am using magic = psionics. But I do think Rope Trick solves the problem quite well...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Fun fact, entangle isn't much use in the Mournland.

Not much in the way of shrubbery out here.
    Exactly. If you do find a few blades of grass or a bush, it's as likely as not to turn into some sort of freakish plant creature hungry for your flesh as to entangle the raiders. That's assuming that you have a druid in the party, he has entangle prepared(why would you, it's a wasteland) and he has a decent initiative because all the uber-cheese in the world doesn't help if you don't get to take a turn. Unlikely that anything can oneshot a druid, but then again it's not like there are no warforged wizards.....