Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Experiences with new players

Mine was quite positive today. I ran a game for 3 brand new players. One plays WoW, one played Diablo 2 in the past, and one played D&D a long time ago. They were a good friend (long time ago D&D guy), his friend (WoW), and the kid who sits next to me in my Piano class (diablo).

They made a halfling rogue, an elf sorcerer, and a human paladin of Heironeous.

Honestly, since my old group disbanded in January thanks to really busy schedules and constant distraction, I was skeptical. But everyone was really focused and learned really quickly. It went well.

How were some of your new players their first time? Any funny stories?
    I take this game with the seriousness it deserves.
    Not all that much. It's a game.

Xykon In The Playground nominee, way back when that happened.

Rebel Leader

Breakfast-atar by The Neoclassic whom I appreciate very much!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Experiences with new players

Oh, gawd, first times with groups can be... well, they can be a whole subset of funny stories all by themselves, y'know?

My first experiences GMing with BURPS were hilarious, but never more so than the one liner dropped when creating characters for Werewolf: Wild West. Matt, a friend of mine who'd just gotten into roleplaying, took one look at the character sheet, and asked "Animal Ken? Isn't that a bit like Subhuman Barbie?"... naturally, the game paused for a good ten minutes while we all laughed about that one.

But, to be honest, most of the fun generally happens when the group gets their game on. Like the time the entire party self-TPKed.
    Pembrokeshire: A place where madness is an aid, not only to gainful employment, but continued existence.

"Wizards... the class everyone whines about, but I destroy whenever I feel like it"
    - Darkpuppy, on Wizards in his DnD games.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

All The Kings Men IC (DEAD)
    All The Kings Men OOC (DEAD)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    But everyone was really focused and learned really quickly. It went well.
    It is as they say, the best stories are those of troubles and adversity.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I'm currently working on putting a group together at my college (as there seems to be no existing group to be found)

I shall post here how that goes after first gaming session...... or the 2nd if the first is entirly spent on creation.

5. - Top - End - #5

Oh yeah, character creation took longer than I was used to. It took way too long. Like over an hour and a half.
    I take this game with the seriousness it deserves.
    Not all that much. It's a game.

Xykon In The Playground nominee, way back when that happened.

Rebel Leader

Breakfast-atar by The Neoclassic whom I appreciate very much!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    Oh yeah, character creation took longer than I was used to. It took way too long. Like over an hour and a half.
    Yeah... if the entire group besides you is new to the system, don't expect to get much beyond character creation done in the first session unless you've got all night.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Currently playing with a newbie whose whole attitude during the games is seriously getting on my nerves. When it was pointed out that his char is very, very vulnerable to will saves, and that he could easily be made to attack the rest of the party, said "just as long as i get to bisect some people, lol".

He also whines about the game not being exciting enough during bits where we're finding out Plot and doing general role-play. He just wants to hack things up and take their stuff. It's a city-based campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I recently began to DM for 3 of my good freinds who never played the game before. It was great beacuse i skimmid through the PB with them and made sure they understood the correct way to play the game IE- trying to be a munchkin, doing things out of charecter, and more

PS: this was my first post SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    im irish so dont worry bout what i say, im proly posting drunk again