New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default useful spells (non-combat)

what is a useful spell (not combat) in a D&D setting? i got the idea from here

something like this:
    Curse of Marriage I: the enemy of your choice becomes drunk and wakes up next to a woman. 2 successful Fortitude Saves (DC15) before 2 unsuccessful to avoid getting drunk. the woman has a a hotness rating of 1D6-2 and nags A LOT.
    Curse Of Marriage II: see above except for the following: 3 successful Fortitude saves before 2 unsuccessful (DC20) and the woman has a hotness rating of 1D6-3
    Curse Of Marriage III: see first except for the following: Fortitude saves are DC25 and the woman's hotness rating is 1D4-2

Speak Legalese: perfectly understand what lawyers are saying (even if they are talking in a language you don't understand)
    call me Dragon

I have left this site for a while. I probablt wont be coming back.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: useful spells (non-combat)

no-one? not a single spell like for example:
    Create Money or Accio?
    call me Dragon

I have left this site for a while. I probablt wont be coming back.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    no-one? not a single spell like for example:
    Create Money or Accio?
    My old college group was really, really fond of the detect obvious spell, because we could have used something like that a lot.

We also really could have used someone who knew Secret Language: Mumble.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here's one that I can think of.

Detect magic ten minutes ago. (Lets you detect magic that was there ten minutes ago XD)
    "A knife can only bring true happiness in the hands of a chef."

"What if the other person was Masochistic?"

"........."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

You know, theres one thing I never figured out. In a world of magic you can get magic to do anything you want - Grant wishes, let you fly, travel a hundread miles in a few short seconds, create light, create darkness, create objects, bring objects to life etc.

There isn't a single spell to make a cup of coffee though. The best you can get is "create water" then use presdigitation to make it taste like coffee...but even then it won't "wake me up" in the morning.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Try summon monster IX... That wakes up everyone it the city/town/village...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Directly from OotS: Summon Conscience - I would be glad, if it were available.

Apart from that: Dispel Logic, Discern Mood, Protection from Micro-management and some such.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nero24200 View Post
    You know, theres one thing I never figured out. In a world of magic you can get magic to do anything you want - Grant wishes, let you fly, travel a hundread miles in a few short seconds, create light, create darkness, create objects, bring objects to life etc.

There isn't a single spell to make a cup of coffee though. The best you can get is "create water" then use presdigitation to make it taste like coffee...but even then it won't "wake me up" in the morning.
    Heroes' Feast. Maybe Fabricate, if you have the beans. Minor Creation + Cone of Steam.
    A lower level coffee spell would be nice though. Preferably a Power Word spell.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Bigby's Helpful Hand: Summon a spectral hand which aids you in everyday life (like holding the nail while you hammer it, opening the door when your hands are full, etc...)

Finger of Rudeness: You point one single finger to your target. He feels insulted, and reacts the appropriate manner.

Furball: Has exactly the same mechanic as Fireball, but instead of fiery-death, you envellop your targets with warm, fuzzy furr. +2 Circumstance bonus to Diplomacy.

Summon Awesome Goblin: Summon the awesomestest Goblin in the world, who walks slowly away in the sunset as everybody look at him in reverred awe.

Detect Elvis: function as Detect Evil, but only for king of rock.

Ray of Elvishness: In an attempt to change someone as Elvis (because who wouldn't be like Elvis?), the mage who invented this spell made a (ha ha!) spelling mistake, and instead gives... elvish tendancies to the target. Good combo with Summon Loreal Shampoo and Mordenkainen's Majestic Vuitton Store.

Summon Chuck Norris: backfires horribly, because you don't summon Chuck Norris; it's Chuck Norris who summons you. And then Round House Kick you, killing you and your next seven characters.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nero24200 View Post

The Djinni has a Spell-Like called Create Wine. This works like Create Water, except it makes wine (not wine flavoured water).

This sets a rules precedent, so making a new Cantrip to make coffee should be no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Reis Tahlen View Post
    Bigby's Helpful Hand: Summon a spectral hand which aids you in everyday life (like holding the nail while you hammer it, opening the door when your hands are full, etc...)
    Unseen Servant/Mage Hand?
    Finger of Rudeness: You point one single finger to your target. He feels insulted, and reacts the appropriate manner.

Furball: Has exactly the same mechanic as Fireball, but instead of fiery-death, you envellop your targets with warm, fuzzy furr. +2 Circumstance bonus to Diplomacy.

I love you l and you spell-crafting ways. Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-09-05 at 12:35 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Another one:

Tenser"s Mixing Disc: Summon a mixing table, with all the latest hits. Saves against Will to resist your phat beat.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I see your Finger of Rudeness and raise you one Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit.
    Last edited by mcl01; 2010-09-05 at 01:17 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Detect hot girls (or boys; I'll continue in the male form)
    Detects any girl you will find visually attractive, and alerts you of their presence so you can feast your eyes on her. It also provides increased eyesigth as long as you look at said girl so you can better see her (see as if you were at half distance).
    Avoid using when driving, or when you're with some girl you're trying to date

When used in combo with detect tougths, it lets you know how much chances of success you have should you try to approach said girl, be it either for a one nigth stand or a long term relationship.
    If you're a hopeless nerd, or any other kind of unattractive men, cast protection from negativity on yourself before using that combo

Protection from lazyness: +4 to will saves to do some task you know you have to do, but really don't like, like studying, cleaning up your room etc.

Those two spells would improve my life a lot
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert