New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default What do warforged do?

Think about it, they don't eat, drink or sleep. They don't need clothes (though I have seen some artwork with them). The average person works every day so that they can afford food and shelter. A warforged simply doesn't need these things*.

I am wondering what you think your common warforged (NPC) would actually spend their time doing on a day to day basis. A warfoged fortress, for example, could simply be four walls. It's not like they need anything else.

*Yes, I could see warforged picking up work for a little while to buy something they really want like a musical instrument, they just don't need to spend money on so many of the things humanoids do.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: What do warforged do?

They still need to be repaired from time to time, but the Races of Eberron book quite handily deals with this by pointing out that Warforged, not needing to sleep, and not needing to think too deeply, occupy themselves with simple, repetitive tasks when the rest of the party is asleep, such as armour and weapon maintennance, whittling, drawing... the list goes on.

It's a fascinating book, Races of Eberron, and I'd recommend it to an Eberron GM.
    Pembrokeshire: A place where madness is an aid, not only to gainful employment, but continued existence.

"Wizards... the class everyone whines about, but I destroy whenever I feel like it"
    - Darkpuppy, on Wizards in his DnD games.

Vale of Shadows OOC
    Vale of Shadows IC

All The Kings Men IC (DEAD)
    All The Kings Men OOC (DEAD)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Gainful employment. While they may not need most material goods, they do still need spell components, weapons, armor, and the material to repair themselves. Further, they probably try things like clothing to 'blend in' a little more: some people are pretty prejudiced against the 'forged, so doing whatever they can to limit that prejudice is good.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Just as importantly they do need contact with other sentient beings, feeling that they fulfill a useful purpose and mental stimulation, in short all the reasons apart from money that people work for.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Basically, they spend much of their time trying to figure out what to do. Many probably take the first job offered to them, just to fend off boredom. Many become adventurers or sellswords, since that's what they know how to do. Some figure out another goal in life.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darkpuppy View Post
    They still need to be repaired from time to time, but the Races of Eberron book quite handily deals with this by pointing out that Warforged, not needing to sleep, and not needing to think too deeply, occupy themselves with simple, repetitive tasks when the rest of the party is asleep, such as armour and weapon maintennance, whittling, drawing... the list goes on.

It's a fascinating book, Races of Eberron, and I'd recommend it to an Eberron GM.
    This. They prefer repetitive hobbies, like counting rocks nearby or braiding leather strips together. Pretty much anything you could picture an OCD person doing they might do, except they do it for fun, not as a compulsion. Personally if I was a warforged I would probably travel a lot and pick up little cool looking knick-knacks from every place I've been.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

most warforged actully have trouble adjusting to normal life, they normally become mercenarys how ever those who do will probably become something along the lines of a weapon or armorsmith, or a seige engineer something to help in a war, although those who successfully adjust to normal life are normally tailors, artists, builders, etc.

most warforged during game downtime as the other guy said they will probably give have a simple task they can take thier time to master, if you need something they can do during thier watch things like....

Origami, Wood Carving, Puzzle Writting,

for professions as i said building is a good one, farming, fishing, tinkering, some might even decide to have a family and some how reproduce i would assume they use some of thier own body parts with another warfoged to construct a new one and then repair themselves i don't know much about that.
    a most exellent thank you to RPGsr4me for the brilliant avatars

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

How much war could a warforged forge if a warforged could forge war?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Itous View Post
    some might even decide to have a family and some how reproduce i would assume they use some of thier own body parts with another warfoged to construct a new one and then repair themselves i don't know much about that.
    They're built by creation forges, which are illegal to operate after the Thronehold Treaty. So no reproducing for the 'forged. Adoption on the other hand, would be a great plot hook.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Itous View Post

for professions as i said building is a good one, farming, fishing, tinkering, some might even decide to have a family and some how reproduce i would assume they use some of thier own body parts with another warfoged to construct a new one and then repair themselves i don't know much about that.
    Standard Eberron warforged can't reproduce. They were produced by Cannith's Creation Forges, but these have all been shut down, and further creation of warforged is illegal in every major Eberron nation.

Edit: Ninja'd

Though an interesting question presents itself: are there nations that don't have laws against warforged creation? Droaam, for example? It could be like stem cell research!
    Last edited by Urpriest; 2010-09-05 at 02:28 PM.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

One of my war-forged characters was making a clockwork pocket watch by hand with a magnifying glass and a series of files and scrap metal in his down time.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Though an interesting question presents itself: are there nations that don't have laws against warforged creation? Droaam, for example? It could be like stem cell research!
    Lord of Blades has a mostly operational creation forge up and running in the Mournlands, and House Cannith has another hidden beneath Sharn. Xen'drik has the original giant-made creation forges, some of which may remain operative.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Remember that Warforged are sapient, and are every bit as smart as humans, dwarves, or anyone. I think they mostly get jobs out of boredom. Either because they want something (anything) to do, or so they can have money to do things that they want to do. This does, of course, mean that they have more disposable income than other races, because they need little other than a house. Remember, just because you don't sleep doesn't mean you don't want a home, if nothing else to keep your stuff in.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That makes sense,given his Magneto complex....
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.
    (Avatar darkwizard.png by Teutonic Knight.)

Spoiler: What Pokemon are you?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    This does, of course, mean that they have more disposable income than other races, because they need little other than a house. Remember, just because you don't sleep doesn't mean you don't want a home, if nothing else to keep your stuff in.
    They wouldn't even need a house, if they spend money for fire and cold resistance to keep away the weather and get a Heward's Handy Haversack for their stuff. Maybe acid resistance or blueshine too, for negating possible corrosion.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Well, any D&D person could buy themselves the spells needed to llive outside all the time. People still build houses, for much the same reason that people in the modern world don't just buy tents.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Races of Eberron, as said, gives a good insight to it. They're moved mostly by desires of intellectual nature, like curiosity and greed. Not having bodily needs (Immediate bodily needs. Repair is expensive in comparison to food), they strive primarily to satisfy their minds.

Being derived from automata, warforged have a slow, deliberative mind. They take much longer than a human to be bored with what they are doing, and monotone tasks can keep them entertained for days nonstop.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    They wouldn't even need a house, if they spend money for fire and cold resistance to keep away the weather and get a Heward's Handy Haversack for their stuff. Maybe acid resistance or blueshine too, for negating possible corrosion.
    I dunno. I imagine many Warforged as being, on some level, very eager to fit into society, and that often means having some of the trappings of society. You can't invite your friends over to your built-in cold resistance, after all, and a Handy Haversack just doesn't make a good place to store conversation pieces or objets d'art.

They don't have to care about it, but it's no stretch in my mind to imagine a 'forged who at least wants a place to call their own.

I should mention that this is referring more to non-adventuring 'forged, of course. Adventurers of ANY race generally don't care about having a place to stay that's more comfortable than a Rope Trick, at least until the party wizzie hits MMM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I dunno. I imagine many Warforged as being, on some level, very eager to fit into society, and that often means having some of the trappings of society. You can't invite your friends over to your built-in cold resistance, after all, and a Handy Haversack just doesn't make a good place to store conversation pieces or objets d'art.

They don't have to care about it, but it's no stretch in my mind to imagine a 'forged who at least wants a place to call their own.

I should mention that this is referring more to non-adventuring 'forged, of course. Adventurers of ANY race generally don't care about having a place to stay that's more comfortable than a Rope Trick, at least until the party wizzie hits MMM.
    Best investment ever: Wondrous Item: Key of the mansion CL13 1/day casting of mages magnificent mansion :P

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    This. They prefer repetitive hobbies, like counting rocks nearby or braiding leather strips together. Pretty much anything you could picture an OCD person doing they might do, except they do it for fun, not as a compulsion. Personally if I was a warforged I would probably travel a lot and pick up little cool looking knick-knacks from every place I've been.
    I just had an idea for an OCD Warforged. It sounds kinda funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

If I was a Warforged, I think I would find a way to earn money so I could pay a wizard to make the Eberron equivalent of a Kindle. An expensive magic item that can access books from a particular library remotely, via a kind of Sending mechanic.

I suppose also technically Warforged could simply do the same jobs as other people but be paid less. I doubt even Eberron has the concept of a minimum wage and I imagine some 'forged could even see the logic in it. Assuming they don't despise the mortal races, I can see themselves willingly sacrificing wages to allow those with greater needs to still have jobs. Or a 'forged being paid in things like books, other items that the mortal races while they WANT do not specifically NEED.

The obsessive collector also appeals to me. Warforged work menial jobs at low wages but only buy expensive collectors items, gemstones or art pieces. The idea of having a complete "set" probably appeals to the 'forged mindset: It's not perfect unless it has all the pieces, just like a warforged.

On the flip side, I can see a lot of 'forged taking to a monastic life quite well. How zen would your garden be when the guy who rakes the sand and tends the plants doesn't get bored, tired or need to stop.
    We's got the might of Gork AND Mork!!
    Spoiler
    Show

Enlist with the Dust Rats today!

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrmatt View Post
    If I was a Warforged, I think I would find a way to earn money so I could pay a wizard to make the Eberron equivalent of a Kindle. An expensive magic item that can access books from a particular library remotely, via a kind of Sending mechanic.

I suppose also technically Warforged could simply do the same jobs as other people but be paid less. I doubt even Eberron has the concept of a minimum wage and I imagine some 'forged could even see the logic in it. Assuming they don't despise the mortal races, I can see themselves willingly sacrificing wages to allow those with greater needs to still have jobs. Or a 'forged being paid in things like books, other items that the mortal races while they WANT do not specifically NEED.

The obsessive collector also appeals to me. Warforged work menial jobs at low wages but only buy expensive collectors items, gemstones or art pieces. The idea of having a complete "set" probably appeals to the 'forged mindset: It's not perfect unless it has all the pieces, just like a warforged.

On the flip side, I can see a lot of 'forged taking to a monastic life quite well. How zen would your garden be when the guy who rakes the sand and tends the plants doesn't get bored, tired or need to stop.
    I would see warforged getting payed more. A laborer that isnt as easily hurt, doesn't need to sleep ect. A half intelligent war-forged could see these benefits in themselves and market appropriately

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FelixG View Post
    I would see warforged getting payed more. A laborer that isnt as easily hurt, doesn't need to sleep ect. A half intelligent war-forged could see these benefits in themselves and market appropriately
    Until the next warforged asks for slightly less and gets the job instead, since neither needs the money to survive. The free market pushes prices down to the cost of producing services, and warforged have very few inherent costs.

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Well, warforged are a minority. The competition is only as high as the densest city you are going to seek a job in.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FelixG View Post
    This, of course, doesn't help the discrimination.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Huh. And here I thought all warforged held down two jobs to sustain their gambling addiction. Wonders abound...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    Well, warforged are a minority. The competition is only as high as the densest city you are going to seek a job in.
    And that city is Sharn.

Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRogue View Post
    How much war could a warforged forge if a warforged could forge war?
    AAAAAAnd Sigged.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Listen to the exploits of Dirk Daring, the Daring Dirk of Derring Do, of course.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

What does warforged do with all its extra time?

It lives a double quadruple life.