New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default World of Darkness: The Noob's Guide

Playgrounders, I present to you a task: I would like to get the input of the Playground's collective intellect in putting together a sort of 'Idiot's Guide' to World of Darkness. Should a project like this already exist, by all means, direct me to it, but my search for such a thread has as yet yielded no fruit. I'm afraid I myself cannot contribute much to the project, as I've only recently picked up the books myself. That is, in part, why I've started this thread, though I'm sure I'm not alone in the wish that there were some interactive resource available to stave off the worst of the rather steep learning curve involved with gaining a grasp on a new system as intricate and detailed as WoD and its sub-settings.

For that, I apologize if this thread's title misled anyone. I haven't got a guide for you. Not yet. I would like for you all to create one for me, for you, and for any other new or inexperienced players with a will to learn, but who are just having a tough time doing so. So, fellow Playgrounders, I ask of you, what should new players and Storytellers of a World of Darkness game, be it a Vampire: The Requiem or Mage: The Awakening, know, bear in mind, expect, and enjoy about this intriguing system?
    Last edited by Kinsmarck; 2010-09-05 at 05:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: World of Darkness: The Noob's Guide

New or Classic? Both will have different guides, after all.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Players don't need to know anything at the beginning: that's part of the WoD charm. even more, what players know at the beginning is, to some extent, pure lie or misinformation.

The less they know, the more the sessions will be exciting.

Feed them with basic knowledge of their factions, plus some false informations.

Vampire: You're just pawns for the Elders. Certain talk about Gehenna, but it's just a way to thighten the Elder's grasp on all the younger vampires. Vampires control everything; there're some other supernatural creatures, but either they're dying, or living in the wilderness. Only the vampires are active enough in the world.

Werewolf: the Apocalypse is near. Everyone but werewolves are either pawns of the Wyrm, or working unknowingly for him. Only werewolves know how to fix this and save the world... if it can be saved.

Mage: the Technocracy is the true, only ennemy, because the Fabric of Reality is the only thing that matters. Vampires are stupid predators who don't even know the slightest about the Umbra, and Werewolves are savage beasts enthralled in prehistoric beliefs. Only the magi know the true stakes of the War.

And so on...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

(1) Always follow The Rules, because your elders can and will kick your ass if you don't.

(2) As corollary to the above, it's not cheating unless you get caught.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

With regard to Classic vs. New, I'm going to vote on new, as it's what I've picked up. I must say, I'm genuinely charmed by the writing of Mage: The Awakening.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want to learn Mage: the Awakening, read this, followed by this. I honestly cannot recommend DaveB's APs enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    He's already a bear that turns into a bear that gets so angry it turns into a bear, worships bears, and commands bears, all while riding a bear. He has enough bear.
    There's never enough bear.