New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Good contingent spells for a Blackguard gish

OK, so I'm building a BBEG for my party to face in the near future.
    I've already discussed his build at this thread and the Playground helped me greatly.
    However, since I want this fight to be really long, climatic and interesting, I want him to have A LOT of contingent spells. The most he could have is 20, so I guess I'll go for that.

For now, I have:
    • Delay Death Revivify
    • Heal
    • Globe of Invulnerability
    • Ray Deflection
    • Protection from Good. Trigger: victim of compulsion

Any help is valuable. He has access to all spells of up to 6th-level. I'm trying to restrict effects that grant immunity to low duration ones, so that the party's main guns don't suddenly become useless.
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2010-09-07 at 07:30 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Good contingent spells for a Blackguard gish

Contingent Dimension Door is handy for when the party druid bearhugs him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    OK, so I'm building a BBEG for my party to face in the near future.
    I've already discussed his build at this thread and the Playground helped me greatly.
    However, since I want this fight to be really long, climatic and interesting, I want him to have A LOT of contingent spells. The most he could have is 20, so I guess I'll go for that.

For now, I have:
    • Delay Death
    • Heal
    • Globe of Invulnerability (but what should be the trigger?)

Any help is valuable. He has access to all spells of up to 6th-level. I'm trying to restrict effects that grant immunity to low duration ones, so that the party's main gun don't suddenly become useless.
    firstly, for Globe of Invulnerability, IIRC you can have the trigger be something that the blackguard says. Come up with something cool for him to say (preferably something that implies invulnerability) and have that be the trigger.

Secondly, an energy immunity spell is always nice to have on your BBEG. I am not well-read on the contingency rules, so I'm not sure if you need to specify which type of energy you want as you're making the contingency. If you do need to specify, energy immunity: fire/cold would probably be the most useful, depending on what damage types your PCs deal. If you don't need to specify, however, a single energy immunity would be a nice annoyance.

Divine Power would also be a fun one, in terms of roleplaying, but you might already have that persisted.
    Last edited by The Rabbler; 2010-09-05 at 04:44 PM.
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Rabbler View Post
    firstly, for Globe of Invulnerability, IIRC you can have the trigger be something that the blackguard says. Come up with something cool for him to say (preferably something that implies invulnerability) and have that be the trigger.
    Now that is an excellent idea. Thanks!

Secondly, an energy immunity spell is always nice to have on your BBEG. I am not well-read on the contingency rules, so I'm not sure if you need to specify which type of energy you want as you're making the contingency. If you do need to specify, energy immunity: fire/cold would probably be the most useful, depending on what damage types your PCs deal. If you don't need to specify, however, a single energy immunity would be a nice annoyance.
    But is it below 6th level and low duration?

Divine Power would also be a fun one, in terms of roleplaying, but you might already have that persisted.
    He actually has BAB 19, so he does not need it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait, what's his build? What's the battlefield going to look like? He'd probably know this, and craft the contingent spells accordingly.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

-Antilife Shell: Makes sure that those pesky PCs won't interrupt your monologue

On a more serious note I like to use Blade-barrier, Blasphemy and Legion of Sentinels (PH2) when I present a lone BBEG so dancing around him is more difficult.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    Wait, what's his build? What's the battlefield going to look like? He'd probably know this, and craft the contingent spells accordingly.
    Crafting a contingent spell is like making a magical item. It takes days to craft one. It can't be too specialized, otherwise it looks real silly.
    'Well, I might meet a incarnum, so I'll Craft a Contingent incarnum immunity (note: this does not even exist). It'll only take 90000gp and three months.'

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyros View Post
    -Antilife Shell: Makes sure that those pesky PCs won't interrupt your monologue

On a more serious note I like to use Blade-barrier, Blasphemy and Legion of Sentinels (PH2) when I present a lone BBEG so dancing around him is more difficult.
    Are those spells at 6th level or below? I know Blasphemy isn't.
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2010-09-05 at 09:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post

Are those spells at 6th level or below? I know Blasphemy isn't.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antilifeshell.htm

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

If the Crafter has access to all spells, then great. Use these :
    Greater Vitality
    Neutralize Poison (less of an issue for hits from the Good Guys, and he's got good saves anyway). Panacea from Miniatures Handbook is better
    Revivify from Complete Divine (this can piss your players off. Especially if you have a couple instances of it with triggers like 'When I die the first time')
    Feign Death (sneaky sneaky, combine with previous spell and wait a minute for triple-sneaky)

Assuming that Summon spells are OK for the Crafted Contingent spells (they're not for standard Contingencies), you can buy yourself some breathing room by summoning several bruiser creatures all around you.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

My favorite contingency trigger is, "Whenever I desire it, this happens."
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

A good spell period for him to come to the fight is freedom of movement. I'd also recommend wraithstrike, bbite of the vampire king, and veil of shadows. As far as contingency goes, I'd definitely agree with heal, and maybe improved invisibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Causing Hideous laughter is an Extraordinary ability of 20th level monks.

At least, it should be.
    Proud Supporter of Vorpal Tribble's Monster Competition

12. - Top - End - #12

I think what we should be asking now is this: how annoying/difficult do you want this blackguard to be? if you really tried, with just contingent spells, you could make him invincible. 20 revivifies will do that, though you could do even better if you picked other stuff.

If you want him to simply be a challenge to the PCs, I'd give him some nice blasty stuff as contingencies also, as damage never hurt anyone .

If you want him to be truly annoying, have him prepare healing/buffing spells, have a couple globes of invulnerability (all tied to different keywords), and a few chained contingencies. Example: revivify -> heal -> improved invisibility -> dimension door. If possible, some sort of illusion of the body would be nice to throw in as well. That sets him up right next to the weakest/squishiest member of the party about to unleash hell with his sneak attacks.

and, technically, you could have him TPK the party in one free action if you wanted to have all 20 contingencies in the same metamagic'd AoE uberspell chained to eachother and triggered by some sort of prayer to the blackguard's god (roleplaying is fun).
    Last edited by The Rabbler; 2010-09-06 at 01:44 PM.
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nargbop View Post
    Revivify from Complete Divine (this can piss your players off. Especially if you have a couple instances of it with triggers like 'When I die the first time')
    Can't believe I forgot Revivify. I was using Delay Death + Heal, clearly less effective. Revivify + Heal works a lot better, thanks.

Any thoughts on spells that grant low duration immunities?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

One issue with overloading with Crafted Contingent Spells : He becomes vulnerable to Reaving Dispel, Reciprocal Gyre, and plain old Dispel.

Any thoughts on spells that grant low duration immunities?
    A number of canon video games have bosses that switch vulnerabilities around (first minute it's fire, second minute it's slashing, etc) , but in DnD the contingent rules are difficult to specify. You might as well Rule 0 it and ignore the mechanics for a thematically appropriate fight.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Is the crafter a wizard ally? Ray Deflection is a must witha trigger of "When I am the target of a ray." Of course the blackguard must be aware of that he is the target so they might be able to sneak on in before it triggers. This avoids several one shot kill scenarios.
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cupkeyk View Post
    Is the crafter a wizard ally? Ray Deflection is a must witha trigger of "When I am the target of a ray." Of course the blackguard must be aware of that he is the target so they might be able to sneak on in before it triggers. This avoids several one shot kill scenarios.
    His crafter ally is a Spellthief/Chameleon with access to all arcane/divine spells of up to 6th level.
    Ray Deflection sounds nice, I'll definitely add it. Thanks.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

If you are using Psionics I have a fairly comprehensive list that I am currently using for my Erudite.

This one translates though.

- Should I fall victim to a charm or compulsion – Protection from Good
    Trust The Computer, The Computer is your friend.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crizh View Post
    If you are using Psionics I have a fairly comprehensive list that I am currently using for my Erudite.

This one translates though.

- Should I fall victim to a charm or compulsion – Protection from Good
    While I do use psionics, the crafter of the blackguard's contingent spells does not have access to them.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Shame, the one I use most often is Synchronicity.

Gives you a standard action out of turn whenever the trigger event occurs. It's saved my characters life many times and is very cheap to craft.

We're using a house-ruled Craft Contingent Power feat because Psionic Contingency was too easily abused.

Some other ideas:

Should I be in a position to benefit from Death Ward - Death Ward

Should I be exposed to an effect that Dispels, Disjoins or Suppresses Magic - Teleport

Should I be knocked unconscious - Lesser Vigor

Should I exposed to an effect that interferes with Planar Travel - Teleport

Should I be swallowed whole....

Trouble is it is relatively easy to create a list of Contingent Spells that make you effectively invulnerable, you'll have to be careful to leave a chink the PC's can exploit.
    Trust The Computer, The Computer is your friend.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crizh View Post
    Trouble is it is relatively easy to create a list of Contingent Spells that make you effectively invulnerable, you'll have to be careful to leave a chink the PC's can exploit.
    Yeah, that's the whole thing. I'm trying to create something that will make the fight interesting, not something that will make the enemy invincible.
    So, I thought about a few things.
    1- Giving him more than two lives, i.e., having more than one contingent Revivify.
    2- Adding an extra power on the 'second life', like contingent Vigor for fast healing. Maybe a polymorph effect for his last 'life'.

I do believe this might be a little too much for a party of 6 level 15 characters, though.
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2010-09-07 at 08:04 PM.