New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skeleton Horses

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Skeleton Horses

So I'm playing a necromancer in my group and I bought 4 light horses, slayed them and raised them as skeletons. I doubt their stats will ever come into play (they are simply for having mounts that don't need to rest or get fatigued after 8 hours). However, I'm confused as to how their attacks work. It looks as though a light horse is not proficient with its natural attack. If that's the case, then is the skeleton horse not proficient with its hooves either?
    Avatar generously created by ukuleleninja

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Skeleton Horses

I believe that's the case. Skeleton says you retain the natural attack, it doesn't say you have to be proficient.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

It's not a question of proficiency, they're secondary natural weapons as opposed to primary ones. Which is actually slightly worse than non-proficiency (-5 instead of -4 and 1/2 strength to damage).
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    It's not a question of proficiency, they're secondary natural weapons as opposed to primary ones. Which is actually slightly worse than non-proficiency (-5 instead of -4 and 1/2 strength to damage).
    Oh, that's where that extra -1 and half damage were coming from.

I still don't quite understand though. Light horses don't have a primary attack listed.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

They don't have one. The theory is they aren't really built for combat.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    They don't have one. The theory is they aren't really built for combat.
    I figured that's what the case was. Like I said, I doubt they'll be used for combat too, but I just wanted to stat them out just in case.

So how do undead mounts work in general? I assume there is no problem riding them into combat if needed. Does the mount have to be a warhorse in order to let you attack from it without a ride check, or does the skeleton's nature of being an emotionless freak of nature allow you to forgo that check?

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zander View Post
    I figured that's what the case was. Like I said, I doubt they'll be used for combat too, but I just wanted to stat them out just in case.

So how do undead mounts work in general? I assume there is no problem riding them into combat if needed. Does the mount have to be a warhorse in order to let you attack from it without a ride check, or does the skeleton's nature of being an emotionless freak of nature allow you to forgo that check?
    This isn't actually covered by the rules. As a DM I'd say that you don't need the check because it's a mindless undead under your control. But I can see why someone would disagree with that. So, ask your DM...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

There's nothing (that I know of) in the rules that prevents a skeletal horse from running all day long. It makes trips go by... very quickly. Make sure you have an opinion on that.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

The ride check is only partly to direct the beast, it's also to see if you manage to stay in the saddle, and that's all on you not your horse.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yorrin View Post
    This isn't actually covered by the rules. As a DM I'd say that you don't need the check because it's a mindless undead under your control. But I can see why someone would disagree with that. So, ask your DM...
    There's a section in Libris Mortis that discusses rules for undead mounts in detail. I think making ride checks with undead mounts is discussed in there.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    There's nothing (that I know of) in the rules that prevents a skeletal horse from running all day long. It makes trips go by... very quickly.
    Just remember to get a lot of extra padding on that saddle.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Just remember to get a lot of extra padding on that saddle.
    I would think you'd have to make a check versus forced march if you rode all day, because riding is fatiguing.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

13. - Top - End - #13

That doesn't sound like a good way to travel. First as noted your saddle should be VERY WELL PADDED for this...

Why not buy a wagon and rest while avoiding ride checks and similar problems we DMs enjoy inflicting upon people that figured out how to move whole day without fatigue or move at landspeed of 200ft/round without using higher lvl spells?

P.S. Expect the horses to die (again) and wagon to be blown to smithereens asap.
    Last edited by Kaww; 2010-09-06 at 02:14 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaww View Post
    That doesn't sound like a good way to travel. First as noted your saddle should be VERY WELL PADDED for this...

Why not buy a wagon and rest while avoiding ride checks and similar problems we DMs enjoy inflicting upon people that figured out how to move whole day without fatigue or move at landspeed of 200ft/round without using higher lvl spells?

P.S. Expect the horses to die (again) and wagon to be blown to smithereens asap.
    Yeah, be careful of clerics of both ends of the moral spectrum.
    A good cleric would probably open up with a Turn Undead because anybody riding a skeletal steed is probably evil. Why waste time on a detect evil spell?
    An evil cleric would probably open up with a Rebuke Undead, if he's aggressive, he'd kill you regardless of your alignment, and getting control of your mounts would be a good way to split the party so he can take you down piecemeal.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    A good cleric would probably open up with a Turn Undead because anybody riding a skeletal steed is probably evil. Why waste time on a detect evil spell?
    That's not exactly what I would call a "good" cleric- even clerics are aware of the possibility of nonevil people making use of undead. Attacking someone even with Detect Evil is extremely iffy (especially since nonevil people, like nonevil clerics of evil gods, will ping, and not all Evil beings deserve to be attacked.)

Attacking somebody without any evidence of wrongdoing other than "they're riding on an undead" is even worse.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #16

If I was a good cleric seeing some people riding towards me on skeletal horses do I:

a) spend 3 rounds determining who is evil and who is not

b) turn/destroy undead abominations and see where it goes

c) turn undead and whack the riders with my mace

I'd go with b) especially if Pelor is somewhere in this story...
    Last edited by Kaww; 2010-09-07 at 04:33 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

If they're in a city, and no-one else is batting an eye at the presence of undead horses, the least the cleric can do is make inquiries before resorting to violence- lest they be jailed for assault, destruction of property, and maybe even attempted murder.

Even in the wilds, unprovoked attacks are not really the way to go, for good characters (even those that think undead are abominations).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Would you really attack someone with undead horses? Animate Dead isn't a low level spell. What sort of power level are you running your campaign at if "Hey, look, a powerful necromancer. Let's attack him!" isn't a sign of suicidal stupidity?

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    Would you really attack someone with undead horses? Animate Dead isn't a low level spell. What sort of power level are you running your campaign at if "Hey, look, a powerful necromancer. Let's attack him!" isn't a sign of suicidal stupidity?
    Yes it is suicidal for a low lvl cleric. Higher lvl clerics should risk it, if they are good. If you try to eradicate evil as long as you are not in any real danger you are neutral, not good.

The necromancer in this topic might be neutral since this is actually just a pragmatic solution to a nagging issue: I have to feed them, find water for them, find a relatively dry/warm place for them to stay, they need rest etc.

Most towns/villages , in majority of campaigns, frown upon the idea of undead walking around.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

You shouldn't worry about opposing clerics but druids. Slaying a living animal just to create a tireless mount is pretty high up in their list of "I'm going to exact Nature's wrath on your ass."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kaww View Post
    Yes it is suicidal for a low lvl cleric. Higher lvl clerics should risk it, if they are good. If you try to eradicate evil as long as you are not in any real danger you are neutral, not good.

The necromancer in this topic might be neutral since this is actually just a pragmatic solution to a nagging issue: I have to feed them, find water for them, find a relatively dry/warm place for them to stay, they need rest etc.

Most towns/villages , in majority of campaigns, frown upon the idea of undead walking around.
    That's a separate context. If the horses are making everyone go "oh my god it's the end of the world we're gonna die hey let's give it a go since we'll die anyway", then the good guy stops the horses and inquires about what is going on.

the Good alignment, overall, is not about defaulting to Ecclesiastical Smiting.

Mr OP, everyone is always proficient with their natural weapons. Your horses have 2xhoof + 1xbite.

22. - Top - End - #22

Nowhere have I stated that he should smite the riders. Only horses (answer b) not c) aka smite).

You know like: 'No you don't, not on my watch'.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

I didn't specify rider-smiting. Just smiting. You just don't default to that.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    I didn't specify rider-smiting. Just smiting. You just don't default to that.
    If a mockery of life and embodiment of evil and negative energy is riding towards you at full speed you're going to pull your holy symbol out and do something about it.

It's like expecting a soldier not to shoot at an armed enemy advancing on his position. "Oh, he's carrying a gun and wearing the enemy's uniform but maybe he's not hostile lemme stand still and wave him on." Unless horrific monsters in your universe are so comic-book trivial that the average commoner sees one on his way to work every day, someone is going to raise arms and defeat it and the person riding it.
    Last edited by jmbrown; 2010-09-07 at 07:41 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

But the original statement didn't specify that the undead horses were "being ridden toward the cleric at full speed".

"Attack all undead on sight- even those that are relatively harmless and being commanded by somebody" is pretty foolhardy- and may lead to charges of destruction of property.

The creation of undead can, in some areas of D&D worlds, be considered normal practice, not a "act that warrants immediate attack"- plus, the person may simply have bought the skeletal horse and not created it.

How tolerated undead are may vary- but except in the most rigidly anti-undead countries, the presence of undead animals wouldn't normally be "grounds for immediately attacking the guy owning them".

Good clerics should be more restrained than that.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

You are assuming too much.

27. - Top - End - #27

True- but I'm used to settings where undead creatures are used in countries that are not particularly malevolent- Eberron, Planescape.

I figure Good characters tend not to attack people- even undead-owning people, without a bit more provocation. And many of the arguments for why creating undead is problematic (lack of respect for the bodies of the dead, preventing dead beings from being affected by Raise Dead, and so on) don't really hold water in the case of undead animals.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    But the original statement didn't specify that the undead horses were "being ridden toward the cleric at full speed".

"Attack all undead on sight- even those that are relatively harmless and being commanded by somebody" is pretty foolhardy- and may lead to charges of destruction of property.

The creation of undead can, in some areas of D&D worlds, be considered normal practice, not a "act that warrants immediate attack"- plus, the person may simply have bought the skeletal horse and not created it.

How tolerated undead are may vary- but except in the most rigidly anti-undead countries, the presence of undead animals wouldn't normally be "grounds for immediately attacking the guy owning them".

Good clerics should be more restrained than that.
    By traditional D&D standards, ever since the game's inception, undead are evil abominations of nature infused with the most negative energies in the universe. Undead means that you slew a living creature, dug up its remains (grave robbing has historically been a crime punishable by death), or desecrated its carcass (again, respecting the sanctity of death has always been a taboo in real-world history) by bringing un-life into it.

So unless your world is light-hearted or undead are actually neutral in alignment, D&D assumptions are that they're mindless creatures filled with negativity and hate. The very fact you have one is the equivalent of sneaking into a graveyard and pissing on the tombstones.
    Last edited by jmbrown; 2010-09-07 at 08:05 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    True- but I'm used to settings where undead creatures are used in countries that are not particularly malevolent- Eberron, Planescape.

I figure Good characters tend not to attack people- even undead-owning people, without a bit more provocation. And many of the arguments for why creating undead is problematic (lack of respect for the bodies of the dead, preventing dead beings from being affected by Raise Dead, and so on) don't really hold water in the case of undead animals.
    I was talking about the other guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    By traditional D&D standards, ever since the game's inception, undead are evil abominations of nature infused with the most negative energies in the universe.
    And that, itself, contradicts the system's logic. Their alignment literally trumps the rules. See the thread "necomancy:evil?" for further reference.
    Last edited by Snake-Aes; 2010-09-07 at 08:07 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    Undead means that you slew a living creature, dug up its remains (grave robbing has historically been a crime punishable by death), or desecrated its carcass (again, respecting the sanctity of death has always been a taboo in real-world history) by bringing un-life into it.
    None of these really apply to animals. Especially not if the animal was slain for other reasons than animating (food? Leather?), and the leftovers animated.

"Bringing negative energy into the world, making it a darker and more evil place" was the rationale for it being evil in BoVD.

Nonetheless, violence may still be an inappropriate response to minor evil deeds- even for clerics of Good deities. (casting an [Evil] spell is one of the least evil of evil acts).

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    I was talking about the other guy.
    Good point.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-09-07 at 08:11 AM.