New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Eschew Materials 3.0 + 3.5

Eschew Materials [General]
    You can cast many spells without needing to utilize minor material components.
    Benefit: You can cast any spell that has a material component costing 1 gp or less without needing that component. (The casting of the spell still provokes attacks of opportunity as normal.) If the spell requires a material component that costs more than 1 gp, you must have the material component at hand to cast the spell, just as normal.
    Special: This feat may count as a metamagic feat for the purpose of bonus feat selection and meeting any requirement or prerequisite.

////////////////////////////////////////

How many would approve this version, if asked as a DM or designer, given a player who took it as a metamagic prerequsite for a class?

In 3.0 Eschew Materials was listed as a metamagic feat, but got changed to a general feat in 3.5, most likely to clean up the unintended drawback it caused for spontaneous spellcasters.
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2011-02-17 at 07:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Eschew Materials 3.0 + 3.5

I would. Metamagic already has its costs. It's just the spells that make it borkened.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by M-Bark View Post
    I would. Metamagic already has its costs. It's just the spells that make it borkened.
    Allow me to disagree. Metamagiced spells aren't that better than normal spells, it's actualy almost balanced (as balanced as magic is of course)

It's when you start puting metamagic reducers that things get ugly. It isn't for nothing that Incantrix and Divine Metamagic are on the list of most borked things ever created in D&D.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Allow me to disagree. Metamagiced spells aren't that better than normal spells, it's actualy almost balanced (as balanced as magic is of course)

It's when you start puting metamagic reducers that things get ugly. It isn't for nothing that Incantrix and Divine Metamagic are on the list of most borked things ever created in D&D.
    I think you misunderstood me. I think Metamagic is fine as it is, and agreed that allowing this Homebrew feat to count as a Metamagic feat for the purpose of feat prerequisites was fine. I meant that spellcasting isn't broken because of metamagic in the least, but because of a good amount of the spells. I agree that metamagic reducers are bad, especially if stacked together.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries