New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Sorcerer Speak Languages?

Just wondering, is it possible through feats or any other means to gain speak languages as a class skill for sorcerer?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Sorcerer Speak Languages?

if it were me, I would make it a class skill for all classes anyway, no reason bards can one-up wizards and other classes at learning languages. Not very helpful, but there you are.

my empire of doom begins NOW!
    Spoiler
    Show
    "How would that flying cat work? Would you tape buttered toast to its feet buttered side-to-foot? Because cats always land on their feet, and buttered toast always lands buttered side-down."

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think."--Adolf Hitler
    "Summon iPod" or "Summon DM's Best Friend" avatar by me, of me

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by iDM View Post
    no reason bards can one-up wizards and other classes at learning languages.
    Yeah, there is. Bards are bards. Being the designated face of the party is part of what makes them significantly less spoony, and having Speak Language as a skill helps them with that a lot.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2010-09-10 at 11:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Bards are bards. Being the designated face of the party is part of what makes them significantly less spoony, and having Speak Language as a skill helps them with that a lot.
    I dislike Bards as the party face, because to me it's very predictable. I much prefer the more distinct classes as the face, like the barbarians, or the monks, or the Paladins. In my opinion, bards are good for buffs, a handful of magic, an making the party money with insanely high preform checks.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I was actually drawing the comparison against the Dragonfire Adept, I wasn't even aware that Bards had the skill, though I doubted there should be any reason why they shouldn't.

Anyway, my DM may be open to the idea of simply not caring, I suppose we'll see.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Orbin Dules View Post
    I dislike Bards as the party face, because to me it's very predictable. I much prefer the more distinct classes as the face, like the barbarians, or the monks, or the Paladins. In my opinion, bards are good for buffs, a handful of magic, an making the party money with insanely high preform checks.
    The Face is what the bard class is. Based on medieval storytelling entertainers (who may have been knights-errant themselves), they're natural diplomats. Diplomacy is at least as important to the heart of what a bard is as their dabbling in every skill they can.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Then again, in my opinion, there is nothing more funny than watching the Half-Orc Barbarian roll a natural twenty on his diplomacy roll,getting the lord to cut you a deal, and then have the barbarian do the rest of the talking for the rest of the campaign.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zephiros View Post
    Just wondering, is it possible through feats or any other means to gain speak languages as a class skill for sorcerer?
    Feats:
    Polyglot - Dragon Magazine #323
    Skill Knowledge - Unearthed Arcana
    Aereni Focus - Players Guide to Eberron
    Gift of Tongues - Races of Faerun