Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Piņata Creature Template

This was originally posted by me over on the WoTC's board. It's very silly.

Creating a Piņata Creature.

Piņata Creature is a template that can be added to any corporeal creature, hereafter referred to as the base creature.

Size and Type: The creature's type changes to construct. It loses all previous subtypes. It does not gain the augmented subtype. It uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Hit Dice and Hit Points: Drop any Hit Dice gained from class levels (to a minimum of 1) and change remaining Hit Dice to d10s. As a construct, the creature loses any Constitution bonus to hit points, but gains bonus hit points based on its size.

Speed: A piņata creature's speed is unchanged.

Armor Class: A piņata creature gains a +1 natural armor bonus

Base Attack: A piņata creature's base attack bonus is equal to 3/4th of its Hit Dice (as Cleric).

Attacks: A piņata creature retains all the natural attacks, manufactured weapon attacks, and weapon proficiencies of the base creature. A humanoid with no natural attacks gains a slam attack.

Damage: Natural and manufactured weapons deal damage normally. A slam attack deals damage based on the piņata creature's size. If the base creature already has a slam attack, use the piņata creature's slam attack only if it's better.

Size: Slam Damage
    Diminutive or Fine: 1
    Tiny: 1d2
    Small: 1d4
    Medium: 1d6
    Large: 1d8
    Huge: 2d6
    Gargantuan: 3d6
    Colossal: 4d6

Special Attacks: A piņata creature gains the following:

Death Throes (Ex): When a piņata creature reaches 0 hit points, it bursts causing 1d10 points of damage to all creatures in a 15-foot radius, but releases edible candy. The amount of candy released is dependent on the piņata creature's size. A Fine creature would release 1d4 ounces of candy, a Diminutive creature would release 2d4 ounces and a Tiny creature would release 1d4 pounds of candy. Small creatures release 2d4 pounds of candy, Medium creatures release 3d4 pounds of candy, Large creatures release 4d4 ponds of candy, Huge creatures release 5d4 pounds of candy, etc.

Special Qualities: A piņata creature gains the following:

Paper Mache Body (Ex): Since all piņata creatures are made of paper mache, they take double the amount of damage from bludgeoning weapons but only take half damage from piercing weapons.

Abilities: As a Construct, a piņata creature has no Constitution score. Otherwise as base creature.

Skills: Piņata creatures have a -10 penalty to Hide due to their garish colors, otherwise, same as base creature.

You've been warned...
    Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2015-08-05 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Forgot abilities line. Though everyone should know it has no con score.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Piņata Creature Template

Now if only you could find a tree big enough to hang a Whale Pinata from.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

Go HERE for a look at the Ishka (CWBP) Wiki.

Go HERE for a look at the Dragon-World (CWBP) Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    I hereby give you the title of Wiki Editor SilverScale. (in deep booming voice)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Is this supposed to be based on Viva Pinata?

If so, you weren't bold enough with it (no "food chain" rules) and you need to drop the 1d10 part of the death-throws (unless I am failing my untrained knowledge check about that game here).

If not, someone should adapt this to that...
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-09-12 at 08:50 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverscale View Post
    Now if only you could find a tree big enough to hang a Whale Pinata from.
    Yggdrasil should actually be more than adequate.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Is this supposed to be based on Viva Pinata?
    Not at all although, someone mentioned it on the WotC board.

If so, you weren't bold enough with it (no "food chain" rules) and you need to drop the 1d10 part of the death-throws (unless I am failing my untrained knowledge check about that game here).
    What would be the food chain rules? As for the death throes, it adds a little spice to an otherwise bland creature.

If not, someone should adapt this to that...
    I say go for it.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2010-09-12 at 10:28 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    I say go for it.
    See my previous comment about not having any actual ranks in Knowledge(Viva Pinata)...
    Although I guess I could grab one or two real reasonably quickly by watching a "Let's Play" or two of the series on You Tube.
    Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Its Type changes to Construct so it doesn't need to eat.

Debby

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

This actually reminds me heavily of the Dexter's Laboratory episode, Dungeons and DeeDee. The party is advancing through a forest (dungeon...dungeon forest), where they happen upon a dragon. As they slay it, it is revealed to be a magically animated pinata, which proceeds to explode into a shower of candy. Inside is a Pixie Stick with, of course, an actual Pixie in it.

(tangent)
    Spoiler
    Show

Come to think of it, DeeDee wasn't all that bad of a DM. Dexter comes off as the typical optimizer, with a premade character completely dissonant with the rest of the party, decked out in optimally chosen stats and items that towers over everyone elses' characters.

And so, DeeDee goes "Heh, no", and has him play a Hobbit Bard instead. She makes tons of on-the-fly judgment calls that everyone at the table enjoys, except Dexter, who complains constantly about "the rules" and how they must be obeyed. In the end, everyone has tons of fun just basking in a collaborative fantasy world and doing awesome things, except Dexter who completely missed the point.