New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default What was so wrong with 3.0?

Admittedly, I am a late comer to the whole D&D thing. When I first started playing my friends were complaining about whole 3.5 switch.

I don't profess to know about game balance, but what was wrong with the system that made in such need of a giant overhaul?

Also why are some DMs loathe to use any 3.0 books even though 3.5 is supposed to be backwards compatible?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: What was so wrong with 3.0?

There wasn't anything terribly wrong with 3.0 that 3.5 actually fixed. Most of the problems that 3.0 had were totally transfered to 3.5. A lot of what people like to point out as being sooperdoopertehbrokorz (the example that immediately springs to mind is shapechange was totally put in for 3.5.

DMs are loathe to use 3.0 books for the same reason that a lot of people switched over to 4th when it came out: people want to play with what is "official" and "current." Either way it's more or less irrelevant by now, but if you can play with Sword & Fist instead of Complete Warrior you should totally do that.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Lots of things.

Specifically, the haste spell comes to mind. In 3.0 it granted an additional partial action (the precursor to the standard action). This wasn't so bad when it was used on people who hit things with swords. When it was used on spellcasters it gave them a free quickened spell every turn.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DementedFellow View Post
    Admittedly, I am a late comer to the whole D&D thing. When I first started playing my friends were complaining about whole 3.5 switch.

I don't profess to know about game balance, but what was wrong with the system that made in such need of a giant overhaul?

Also why are some DMs loathe to use any 3.0 books even though 3.5 is supposed to be backwards compatible?
    I've never found much wrong with it: there were glaring issues that 3.5 fixed, but it introduced new ones as well. In fairness, I'll admit that some on the issues were a bit more readily noticeable at low optimization (for example, you get all of the bardic music class features at Bard 1 if you can keep the skill up).

<Long spoilered section>
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is, however, a distinctly different editorial tone that is a far more important change (if a less immediately evident one). 3e was tailored primarily to recapture the concepts of 2e play in a more user friendly system. PRCs were introduced with attention primarily to theme and with balance as an afterthought. Home-brew was heavily encouraged. The core system was ready to play, but the expanded system, such as it was, was built with the assumption that (for the market as a whole) that emergent play would be developed primarily at a gaming group level and spread out.

They got a much bigger market than they expected. Organized public play became far more common. And the internet changed emergent play drastically. While the mechanical system wasn't changed heavily to reflect this (that's what 4e was), the editorial trends were: home-brew was de-emphasized (though not discouraged, per say) and large amounts of content were released that (while still thematically sound) existed primarily to formally deal with things that would have probably been left to house-rules in 3.0.

TL;DR? 3.5 is 3.0 refocused to deal with the fact that they got a much larger, much more interconnected market than they imagined.
    Last edited by Ozymandias9; 2010-09-13 at 01:27 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. [...]Where did you start yours?
    A street riot in a major city that was getting violent.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't mind me, my critical threat range is only 5-20 and vorpal weapons kill on a crit.

Haste? Awesome spell. 3rd level and it lets you take a whole new standard action. Wow!

Ranger and Paladin existed purely for a one level dip. Wanted to get two free feats? Go with ranger. There wasn't a single sorcerer or bard in the world who didn't begin life as a paladin and ended up as a dragon disciple.

There's lots of other seemingly minor stuff. A bunch of really dumb skills like innuendo... as if I need a skill to wink my eye and motion casually in character. They cut down on the skill and feat bloat (no more ambidexterity and the like) and made it so people can't dip into a class for one level to become uber awesome.

6. - Top - End - #6

When i was introduced to dnd, it was through 3.5. I've been trying to build my collection of dnd books, and the only corebook i have that's 3.5 is the DMG. My other core books are 3.0, and i can tell you this; i didn't like the rules presented in the 3.0 MM or PG. In defense of the PG though, most of the issues presented could have been fixed with houserules. But all in all, i prefer 3.5.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, Savage Species. All of it.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Some things were easy to fix or improve (see the Haste spell, or the DR system), while a lot of other things remained unchanged and broken.

I could say that the changes were good, but too much limited to justify the whole passage.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2010-09-13 at 03:33 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DementedFellow View Post
    It wasn't a giant overhaul.

There were a number of details that needed improving, most of which would be unlikely to cause problems in actual gameplay. The haste spell is an exception which did come up a lot. But e.g. that players use paladin for a one-level dip was obviously not designer intent, but also not problematic at the game table.

Overall they are good changes (although yes, they missed some things and introduced some new problems), but not that big a deal.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Some things got better anyway.. Like those "Is my +2 Chopah magic enough?" "Nah, you need a 5% more magic Chopah to chop this..." Also if I remember correctly Druids had a whole zoo with them. Many subtle changes happened during the transition (many of them undeserved)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreyMantle View Post
    There wasn't anything terribly wrong with 3.0 that 3.5 actually fixed.
    Psionics.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Psionics.
    That's probably something most of us have locked away in the murky deeps our minds.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally, I liked the variable ability score spells such as bear's strength, etc. It ensured that characters with odd numbered scores would get something out of it but you weren't guaranteed to get the max. It sucked for fighters (like everything else in 3E) but it ensured characters couldn't cheese out their casting abilities as readily.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

1) Haste

2) Spell save DCs potentially outstripping saves, due to the multitude of ways it could be boosted.

3) Monsters having too many SLAs.

This was reasonable from a fluff POV, because it made sense that a demon lord would have mastered petty magics such as hurling magic missiles. But from a crunch POV, it was a waste of space and unnecessarily cluttered the statblock as it was unlikely to ever use it in combat, and tend to artificially inflate their crs.

The end result was that outsiders and monsters with tons of SLAs tend to be much weaker than their cr would otherwise indicate.

4) Quite a number of base classes were revised, but they still proved quite weak. Conversely, spellcasters retained most of their power (or in the case of the druid, actually got strengthened).

5) Dr was for most part pointless, as any wizard with greater magic weapon would pretty much render it moot.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Another thing that got a lot of fixing was the psionics system. 3.0 psionics was heavily broken (not as bad as 2e psionics but getting in that direction). The 3.5 psionics solved most of the major issues (although it did introduce a small number of new ones such as introducing the soulkinfe as a class rather than a PrC.)
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

They were probably mad because they had bought a lot of 3.0 books and then oops, they're unable to be used all of a sudden. My friend got mad because he spent a lot of cash on 3.0 and then they came out with 3.5 really soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Psionics.
    I liked how Psionics could run off of different stats and had the attack/defense modes. It fit VERY well for Dark Sun, although there were a few REALLY dumb powers. (The one that has you burn x power points to increase your stat MODIFIER by x? Imagine blowing 100 pp into your con mod and then dissolutioning?)
    Last edited by Lhurgyof; 2010-09-13 at 07:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

The cynic's response is "they could make more money this way".

The kinder response has to do with several of the issues already pointed out, as well as a number of other inconsistent and ill-thought out things they wanted to fix. Little niggling things like Perform (each rank gets you a different category), and daft skills like Intuit Direction.

The reality is probably somewhere in the middle.
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

They fixed the Ranger, whose Favored Enemy scaled in a stupid manner...every Ranger would take Dragons as their first Favored Enemy so that when they actually faced dragons, it would have increased to a significant number.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    There wasn't a single sorcerer or bard in the world who didn't begin life as a paladin and ended up as a dragon disciple.
    I don't know anybody who did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    every Ranger would take Dragons as their first Favored Enemy so that when they actually faced dragons, it would have increased to a significant number.
    I don't know anybody who did that, either.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Skill Focus: Spot was exactly 1/2 as good as Alertness, as both gave +2 to Spot (all Skill Foci gave +2 to the associated Skill), while Alertness added a 'free' +2 to Listen as well. No Skills besides Spot and Listen had a +2/+2 Feat associated with them.

Survival was called Wilderness Lore. The cosmetic change there made it so that a Ranger's main Skills-shtick didn't sound like the ability to sit around the campfire and spin yarns about how Old Ben and Grizzly Adams used to haunt these here parts back in the day.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    They fixed the Ranger, whose Favored Enemy scaled in a stupid manner...every Ranger would take Dragons as their first Favored Enemy so that when they actually faced dragons, it would have increased to a significant number.
    I usually saw giants at 1st, and dragons next. Giants run the gamut of CRs, but they're more common at lower levels than dragons.

Personally glad that they lumped ambidexterity into 2 weapon fighting. Unless you were a ranger, the only way to do TWF at low levels was human fighter no actually, the only way to do TWF was ranger, if you wanted to actually use your feats for something else.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

Lot of it has been mentioned already.

Haste, ambidex, psi attack/defense modes, the different stats for psionics (I liked that), Mental Leap deserves to be mentioned aside from psionics, Savage Species, Bow of True Strike and flurrying dex monks using that shocking ring from Fighter's Handbook?

Dr was really inconvenient. The individual +'s could mess with building encounters for more roleplay or clever indirect parties. Not huge, just inconvenient.

Now I get them blurred, was it 2nd or 3rd that had Dimension Door as a ziggy door? Because that was problematic. Fun though.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

3.0 Animal Growth.

Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

TBH I don't remember 3.0 all that well even though I played it since launch. While my group begrudged buying new books, we agreed with every single change made.

As far as using older materials goes, I say go for it but look for a new version. There's probably some broken stuff, but most of it will be fine.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

I agree with the general tenor of the responses. There wasn't anything glaringly wrong with 3.0, and it is still a very viable system by itself, but 3.5 evened out a lot of things. Haste, 1-level class dips, DR, Ambidexterity, proliferation of rarely-used skills, spell DC's (all of which have already been mentioned, and my favorite change, the stacking of effects that improved critical range (we had a cleric in our 3.0 party who used a falchion and criticaled about half the time.)

That said, I always thought 3.5 could have benefited from another similar revision, which is what happened in Pathfinder pretty much, and was done best, in my personal opinion, with Star Wars Saga Edition.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Haste? Awesome spell. 3rd level and it lets you take a whole new standard action. Wow!
    The conversion guide is still available, it goes through what the changes were.
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a

Lots of classes got spread out benefits and some nice minor buffs. The problem is that then they added stuff like pretty well forcing the Druid to take his animal companion as a super fighter AND adding Natural Spell!

Haste, Harm, and Heal were the big three spell changes. 3.0 Heal (vs undead) and Harm (vs. everyone else) had no save, and just reduced appropriate targets to 1d4 HP (start with 100,000,000 HP, doesn't matter, you now have 1d4, make a fort save to avoid death by massive damage). If you couldn't finish off the foe with the extra standard action from haste and with an attack that does 14+ damage even on a made save you weren't even trying. Who says HP damage isn't effective?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Harm. for livings, heal for undeads. deal your all HP bar - 1D4.

psionics. they where so bad that even very years later some DMs still bann from 3.5 just for the bad memories.

stakeable SR.

base class worth just for 1 dip level.

haste spell.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

They mucked around with the Monk stats a bit, but I don't think I'd call what resulted as "fixed."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Weapon sizes were handled more realistically in 3.0, but that turned out to be a bad thing in terms of game play. You see, it's not so much the size of the weapon as it is the size of the grip that determines if you can handle it properly. So 3.5's simple "Is it made for my size?" check is an improvement.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

made it so people can't dip into a class for one level to become uber awesome.
    But, yet, they still do...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!