Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Vow Of Poverty & Spell Research

So I there was a very helpful thread about Epic VoP, which brought up a question about researching spells.

I've never run an Epic campain before, but my initial understanding is that most level 10 spells are researched and thus cost gold.

So what is a VoP to do? While Vow of Poverty doesn't specifically state you can't do research, the obvious implications of doing research is that you must own/rent a lab, have several expensive materials, etc.

This just ins't an Epic concern, what if a VoP druid wanted to create a custom level 4 spell?

I suppose another party member could pay for the research & materials, but seems to be a bit of an oversight with VoP rules as written.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Vow Of Poverty & Spell Research

The VoP rules mention substituting experience in place of expensive material components at a ratio of 5 gp : 1 xp. You can do the same thing for research costs. Still, the best epic spells cost 0 gp/0 xp anyway, so even VoP characters can make those.
    Last edited by PId6; 2010-09-13 at 12:23 PM.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court