New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default "Supernatural" and WoD

Anyone seen the TV show Supernatural? It's pretty good. It really, really reminds me of a world of darkness campaign (with human hunters of course.) But I've never seriously played WoD so I don't know a lot about it. So is it just me or does the show play out like a campaign journal in WoD?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: "Supernatural" and WoD

That was actually my first thought when we started watching it. I can't remember what the "Hunters" book was called, but the show is a perfect example of the game.

I made a point never to tell my wife that - she gets to watch those two guys, and I get to have a vicarious game experience! Win, win.
    Thanks The Neoclassic for my avatar!

Stark Raving Dad - a blog about life.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theos911 View Post
    Fighter: I can kill a guy in one turn.
    Cleric: I can kill a guy in half a turn.
    Wizard: I can kill a guy before my turn!
    Bard: I can get 12 idiots to go kill guys for me
    Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Oh, and Person-Man's real name is a little something called "SKYNET"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

I've thought of doing a similar thing with GURPS a few times. Mostly because I'm not a big WoD fan. And I told my wife that it wold make a great concept for a campaign. She just rolled her eyes and asked if it meant I'd be spending more money on gaming books...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was in a Supernatural GURPS campaign that just ended recently! The game itself was great, but just... not exactly the right campaign for my group. I'd definitely play it again with people who were more into the investigative roleplay vs. HULK SMASH!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

I've also thought that it played a lot like a game of Hunter: the Reckoning. In fact, my wife getting into the show inspired me to start a PbP Hunter game on another site, whic wound up being by far my best, longest, and most successful PbP game ever.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Dice View Post
    I've thought of doing a similar thing with GURPS a few times. Mostly because I'm not a big WoD fan. And I told my wife that it wold make a great concept for a campaign. She just rolled her eyes and asked if it meant I'd be spending more money on gaming books...
    You know, I get the same response from my wife, and the answer is always, "Yes."

On topic though, I guess I now have a good reason to catch the next episode of Supernatural. I haven't seen it yet, and with all of the disappointments with shows like Kindred, Buffy, Angel, and Charmed I wasn't sure if I wanted to waste the time.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vampyre View Post
    You know, I get the same response from my wife, and the answer is always, "Yes."

On topic though, I guess I now have a good reason to catch the next episode of Supernatural. I haven't seen it yet, and with all of the disappointments with shows like Kindred, Buffy, Angel, and Charmed I wasn't sure if I wanted to waste the time.
    Funny story. I was in a video game store and guy was standing there scanning the racks. Younger guy. A girl came in, carrying a bag from a nearby clothing store, stopped next to him. A moment's pause. She looked at him and said, "Do you REALLY need more games?

He looked at her, another pause. "I always need more games. Do you really need more shirts?"

Her: "I ALWAYS need more shirts. Hey! What about that one?" And started pointing at games.

I applauded inside on behalf of beleaguered men everywhere.

And as for the show, what I've seen of it is okay. Has moments that approach excellence. The interplay between the two main characters is really good, the over-arching meta-plot less so.
    Last edited by truemane; 2010-09-14 at 08:59 PM.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vampyre View Post

I just ordered season 5 on netflix. Hopefully Ill get through it quickly enough before season 6 starts.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Fun fact: There's a Supernatural RPG.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    And as for the show, what I've seen of it is okay. Has moments that approach excellence. The interplay between the two main characters is really good, the over-arching meta-plot less so.
    I actually thought the overall plot was done well - there was a clear plot that actually worked from the very first episode. Few shows manage that.

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    I just ordered season 5 on netflix. Hopefully Ill get through it quickly enough before season 6 starts.
    I'm not looking forward to season 6. At all. The story was done with season 5, which is why the original creator bailed on season 6.

11. - Top - End - #11

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Fun fact: There's a Supernatural RPG.
    Yep. It uses the Cortex rules. The Cortex system is also used for a Battlestar Galactica and Serenity RPG. Serenity came first then made into a genaric system. The setting books are about the setting and story building with in that setting. They leave the actual core rules to the Cortex system book.

My friends and I played Serenity for afew months. We really banged are heads against it. We just could not have a consistant mechanical experience. It looked good on paiper but at the table it was frustrating.

We usualy failed horably even in situations that where totaly in are faivor and are build should have succeded. The average target numbers where to high for the average of the die rolls. The apposed tests where desided on who rolled what extream high or low.

That said, the setting books and adventures where well written. Sence the setting books are mechanics light you can just use it for a story resorce and use what ever system you want.

I do recomend looking at the Cortex book though. Just to see what they had in mind. Pick it up if you want. It was not that expencive. Maybe my group just missed afew things.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    I'm not looking forward to season 6. At all. The story was done with season 5, which is why the original creator bailed on season 6.
    If I remember rightly, back at the beginning the creator went as far as saying that five seasons was all he needed to tell the story, and if they made any more it would just be cashing in.

I've also heard they're making an anime, but I'm really hoping that's not true

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fallbot View Post
    If I remember rightly, back at the beginning the creator went as far as saying that five seasons was all he needed to tell the story, and if they made any more it would just be cashing in.

I've also heard they're making an anime, but I'm really hoping that's not true
    Sadly i think it is
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.