New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Horizon Walker: Wow, Just Wow

So I was flipping through the SRD today and I saw the Horizon Walker, a class that seems only marginally playable.

Which, of course, makes me want to play one.

The abilities seem nice, in a "I was having a rough day and couldn't think of anything else" sort of way, right up until the Planar Terrain Mastery. These abilities actually seem useful, but I wonder If they are only restricted to when the character is operating on that plane.

For example, does a person with Shifting Planar Mastery get to use dimension door on any plane, or only on shifting planes?

I know prestige classes don't translate well to the tier system, but if you had to rank this class, where would you place it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Horizon Walker: Wow, Just Wow

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107618

The class is used in some of the Core Only builds and yes, the terrain mastery can be used in any plane.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

It's actually not a terrible class.. it makes a nice segue for rangers, I find, who easily qualify, and since those iterative TWF attacks aren't that great, they can spread out a little in terms of abilities.

As to the planar masteries - they get those always. So things like Planar Mastery does indeed let you dimdoor on any plane. The fiery/cold/whatever give you permanent resistance. Aligned gives you immunity to Blasphemy and the like, because of the "spells and abilities that harm those of the opposite alignment don't affect you".

Also, check out Saph's Horizon Tripper build : http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Horizon Walker in World of Warcraft?
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by wayfare View Post
    The abilities seem nice, in a "I was having a rough day and couldn't think of anything else" sort of way, right up until the Planar Terrain Mastery. These abilities actually seem useful, but I wonder If they are only restricted to when the character is operating on that plane.
    Nope. It's always available.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Horizon walkers take their terrain mastery with them wherever they go. They retain their terrain mastery bonuses on skill checks, attack rolls, and damage rolls whether they’re actually in the relevant terrain or not.

Planar terrain mastery functions just like terrain mastery...
    The exception, of course, being Weightless planar mastery. In addition to Shifting, Cavern is also good (tremorsense!), and Aligned may be good or may be totally wicked awesome. (Do you gain it just once and thereafter mimic the alignment of any plane? Or must you take it for each alignment? In either case, being on a Neutral plane -- like the Material -- makes you immune to absolutely everything that doesn't specifically affect Neutral characters. But the former is clearly much, much nicer.)

Also, don't count out the non-planar terrains just yet. Desert is easy immunity to fatigue. Underground gives you (more) darkvision. The others are... okay. (A pity that they're typed, though. Competence bonus rules out a lot of other sources of skill boosts, and while insight bonuses aren't as common, +1 is going to be fairly easily overlapped whenever you do get another insight bonus from something.)
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

6. - Top - End - #6

Beholder

Down 1 level -- thats harsh!

So Expert into Horizon Walker = Truenamer? Gah!?

Since the abilities can be used on any plane, this actually becomes pretty nice. Though the ability for weightless planes becomes soewhat useless.

Any ideas on how to improve the class?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hi

@Wayfare - Pathfinder version? (Even better if you're using the Pathfinder Ranger)! :)

Cheers
    Paul H

8. - Top - End - #8

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Hi

@Wayfare - Pathfinder version? (Even better if you're using the Pathfinder Ranger)! :)

Cheers
    Paul H
    Nope, just pulled it off the System Reference Document. Is the pathfinder version much better?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Nope. It's always available.

The exception, of course, being Weightless planar mastery.
    Eh, good luck with it.
    Sadly it can be interpreted in different ways...

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    OK, I've got some problem with my Dm on the interpretation by RAW of some planar terrains abilities of the Horizon Walker; here's how my DM read the thing.

the description of terrain mastery says:
    Planar terrain mastery functions just like terrain mastery.
    and
    Terrain mastery gives a horizon walker a bonus on checks involving a skill useful in that terrain, or some other appropriate benefit. (snip)
    Horizon walkers take their terrain mastery with them wherever they go. They retain their terrain mastery bonuses on skill checks, attack rolls, and damage rolls whether they’re actually in the relevant terrain or not.

My DM says: You retain terrain mastey bonuses on skill, attack and damage wherever you go, because they don't need that kind of terrain to work.
    For the same reason, you retain all the other benefits that don't need a specific terrain to work.
    The immunity to fatigue of the desert, works in every enviroment, because the description says: "You are immune to fatigue". point.
    The fire resistance 20 of the fiery (planar), works in every enviroment, because the entry says: "This kind of planar terrain mastery provides you with resistance to fire 20". point.

But for Shifting Planar, the description justifies the dimension door every 1d4/round, because: "You have the SA ability to use the ever-shifting nature of planes such as Limbo to travel faster. You instinctively anticipate shifts in the reality of the plane that bring you closer to your destination".

So, his reasoning is that, even if you take with you the shifting planar ability, you can use the dimension door only in Planes with the trait "morphic", because you cannot anticipate shifts in the reality, if the plane isn't shifting.
    The same applies with "Aligned - planar"... you mimic the alignment of the plane you're in, and you're unaffected by spells that harm those of the opposite alignment (of the Plane you're in). But when you're in the Prime material, which is unaligned, you cannot mimic nothing.
    His position is that many of the Planar terrains are useless, unless you effectively play a PlaneScape adventure.
    In the end, it's DM's prerogative to negate the benefit of the class, if he believe so, so it's better to clarify the thing with him BEFORE making your character.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Horizon Walker has one thing that bugs me. Or rather, it doesn't have something and bugs me because of that.

There's no way for someone with that class to get from one plane to another.

11. - Top - End - #11

Beholder

Buy a bag of holding and a portable hole. Problem solved.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Buy a bag of holding and a portable hole. Problem solved.
    That's a one-way ticket, and a pretty expensive one as well. Oh, and it goes only to the Astral Plane.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2010-09-15 at 11:57 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Down 1 level -- thats harsh!

So Expert into Horizon Walker = Truenamer? Gah!?
    Truenamer isn't tier 6.

Horizon Walker mostly gives minor perks. Core-only, it's quite good, but getting to splats, it loses some shine.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

14. - Top - End - #14

Beholder

Ah, the astral plane -- if you can make it there you can make it anywhere!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Dice View Post
    Horizon Walker has one thing that bugs me. Or rather, it doesn't have something and bugs me because of that.

There's no way for someone with that class to get from one plane to another.
    Most worlds tend to contain planar portals. Horizon Walkers make for wonderful Planar Guides.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

16. - Top - End - #16

Beholder

Would adding Astral Caravan as a class feature be too powerful?

17. - Top - End - #17

Nope, just pulled it off the System Reference Document. Is the pathfinder version much better?
    Hard to say. They changed the way the powers are split up - there's now a weak and a strong for every terrain type, with no distinction made between "planar" and ordinary terrain, and you have to take the weak power to get that terrain's stronger power later - and they evened out the power levels to some degree within those tiers. It's got more good options, but fewer really good options, it's harder to cherry-pick good options, and it takes more investment to get to some of the really good ones... you can't, e.g., dip one level for immunity to fatigue anymore. On the other hand, you only need three levels in the class to get dimension door now - and they removed the weaselly language that would let a nasty DM interpret it as not being useful - instead of six levels. On the gripping hand, the dimension door power has a uses-per-day limit instead of a cooldown time.

In the "clear win" column, though, it's got a d10 hit die.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

Is the pathfinder version much better?
    I would say so.

http://www.pathfindersrd.com/classes...horizon-walker
    Who watches the Watchmen?

Frontline Fighter? I barely know her!

19. - Top - End - #19

But when you're in the Prime material, which is unaligned, you cannot mimic nothing.
    I find it very odd that nobody corrected your DM on this in the thread to which you linked, Killer Angel. (Nor corrected the Simple Q&A RAW thread you linked to in the linked post, for that matter.)

The Material Plane is mildly Neutral-aligned.

It is not "unaligned". And aligning yourself to the plane's dominant alignment when on the Material Plane means you cannot be detected, affected or smitten as a good, lawful, evil or chaotic creature. That's not bad.
    Last edited by Peregrine; 2010-09-16 at 04:36 AM.
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    I find it very odd that nobody corrected your DM on this in the thread to which you linked, Killer Angel.

The Material Plane is mildly Neutral-aligned.

It is not "unaligned". And aligning yourself to the plane's dominant alignment when on the Material Plane means you cannot be detected, affected or smitten as a good, lawful, evil or chaotic creature. That's not bad.
    Yeah, you're right, it's not bad, but for some things is anyway useless... for example, Blasphemy affects Nonevil creatures. So, even if I can mimic to be neutral (instead of good), I'm affected by it.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    On the gripping hand, the dimension door power has a uses-per-day limit instead of a cooldown time.
    Losing the ability to teleport everywhere instead of walking just because you can is annoying, but practically speaking I don't think it's a nerf; you'll get 4-5 DimDoors with a typical Ranger entry, which is already more than your party Wizard will normally ever bother to prepare.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

You can get unlimited Dimension Door every round with the Shape Soulmeld (Blink Shirt) feat. It's a Standard Action, with a range of 10 ft + 10 ft for every point of essentia invested in it. You can get essentia as a racial ability, with feats, with spells, and with levels of Incarnum based classes. If you bind it to your Totem chakra (requires a 2 level dip in Totemist) you can do it as a Move Action, which opens up Shadowpounce shenanigans.

The range is not as impressive as the Horizon Walker, but it can be used every round, and you don't have to slog through 5 levels of garbage to get it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by n00b killa View Post
    Hi

Actaully - I think you'll find that practically ALL PF PrC's are better/stronger than the standard 3.5!

(Which is why as a GM, I'd never allow PF with 3.5 splat books. Far toooo broken)! LOL

Thanks
    Paul H
    Last edited by Paul H; 2010-09-20 at 02:54 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Truenamer isn't tier 6.

Horizon Walker mostly gives minor perks. Core-only, it's quite good, but getting to splats, it loses some shine.
    Especially considering Dimension Door at will costs a feat thanks to Magic of Incarnum.

(Which is why as a GM, I'd never allow PF with 3.5 splat books. Far toooo broken)
    Because they have no idea how to balance classes, feats, or magic items. The only thing Paizo does well is Encounters.