New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default [pf/3.5]Slaying The Beast! Tarrasque slaying for young and old.

so, I was Surfing the Internets and I found this website of Eldritch lore, on ways to slay the impossible:http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dkb1/dnd/tarrasque.txt

Well, Gentlemen, we must not let the spirit of slaying die,(even if the damn thing now can't, due to the new rules) and to that end, I present his pathfinder stats!
    Spoiler
    Show

TARRASQUE
    This immense reptilian beast towers over the surroundings like a dinosaur, all teeth and horns and claws and thrashing spiked tail.
    CR 25
    XP 1,638,400
    N Colossal magical beast
    Init +7; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +43
    Aura frightful presence (300 ft., DC 27)
    DEFENSE
    AC 40, touch 5, flat-footed 37 (+3 Dex, +35 natural, –8 size)
    hp 525 (30d10+360); regeneration 40
    Fort +31, Ref +22, Will +12
    DR 15/epic; Immune ability damage, acid, bleed, disease, energy drain, fire, mind-affecting effects, paralysis, permanent wounds, petrification, poison, polymorph; SR 36
    OFFENSE
    Speed 40 ft.
    Melee bite +37 (4d8+15/15–20/×3 plus grab), 2 claws +37 (1d12+15), 2 gores +37 (1d10+15), tail slap +32 (3d8+7)
    Ranged 6 spines +25 (2d10+15/×3)
    Space 30 ft.; Reach 30 ft. (60 ft. with tail slap)
    Special Attacks rush, spines, swallow whole (6d6+22 plus 6d6 acid, AC 27, hp 52)
    STATISTICS
    Str 41, Dex 16, Con 34, Int 3, Wis 15, Cha 14
    Base Atk +30; CMB +53 (+57 grapple); CMD 66
    Feats Awesome Blow, Blind-Fight, Bleeding Critical, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Critical Focus, Great Cleave, Great Fortitude, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (bite), Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Run, Stunning Critical
    Skills Acrobatics +3 (+43 when jumping), Perception +43; Racial Modifiers +8 Perception
    Languages Aklo (cannot speak)
    SQ carapace, powerful leaper
    ECOLOGY
    Environment any
    Organization solitary
    Treasure none
    SPECIAL ABILITIES
    Carapace (Su) The tarrasque's scales deflect cones, lines, rays, and magic missile spells, rendering the tarrasque immune to such effects. There is a 30% chance a deflected effect reflects back in full force at the caster; otherwise it is simply negated.
    Powerful Leaper (Ex) The tarrasque uses its Strength to modify Acrobatics checks made to jump, and has a +24 racial bonus on Acrobatics checks made to jump.
    Regeneration (Ex) No form of attack can suppress the tarrasque's regeneration—it regenerates even if disintegrated or slain by a death effect. If the tarrasque fails a save against an effect that would kill it instantly, it rises from death 3 rounds later with 1 hit point if no further damage is inflicted upon its remains. It can be banished or otherwise transported as a means to save a region, but the method to truly kill it has yet to be discovered.
    Rush (Ex) Once per minute for 1 round, the tarrasque can move at a speed of 150 feet. This increases its Acrobatics bonus on checks made to jump to +87.
    Spines (Ex) The tarrasque can loose a volley of six spear-like spines from its body as a standard action with a toss of its head or a lash of its tail. Make an attack roll for each spine—all targets must be within 30 feet of each other. The spines have a range increment of 120 ft.
    The legendary tarrasque is among the world's most destructive monsters. Thankfully, it spends most of its time in a deep torpor in an unknown cavern in a remote corner of the world—yet when it wakens, kingdoms die.
    Although far from intelligent, the tarrasque is smart enough to understand a few words in Aklo (though it cannot speak). Likewise, it isn't mindless in its rampages, but instead focuses on targets that threaten it, and is difficult to distract with trickery.

So! Peope of the fora!

HOW DO WE KILL GODZILLA THE TARRASQUE*?!!

*at the very least we need to permanently disable it.
    Last edited by Fingerlessfist; 2010-09-16 at 05:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [pf/3.5]slaying The Beast!

I think you are mistaken. For Slaying the Beast, you have to kill Taragaman the Hungerer.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Research a permanent force cage.... profit!
    Fear Victor Von Kittie!!!!

4. - Top - End - #4

OldWizardGuy

@Greenish ...Oh, I get it. Har har.

WELL SCREW YOUR ****, THAT WAS NOT THE BEAST I WAS TALKING ABOUT HERE!
    @ kwinza: Do you know how you would do that?
    Last edited by Fingerlessfist; 2010-09-16 at 05:19 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Not off the top of my head but there are rules for researching new spells like that, hell at that level just wish for one
    Fear Victor Von Kittie!!!!

6. - Top - End - #6

OldWizardGuy

small problem: I'm pretty sure that the Tarrasque is like 50ft70ft long and i don't think you could fit him within a 20ft cage. In Addition, the cage can still be damaged, although it has a hardness of 30 so the damage would be slow even for the Tarrasque.

Might still work with 3.5 though. you'd need a bigger cage, however.

Edit: I have an idea for a temporary solution: If you could get an Aboleth into It's mouth,it's mucous cloud might make it start drowning in plain air.

Edit: Wait nevermind, Fort save of 31 plus....
    Last edited by Fingerlessfist; 2010-09-16 at 05:40 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [pf/3.5]Slaying The Beast! Tarrasque slaying for young and old.

So it looks like it can still be taken over with magic jar if I am not missing anything so presumably (with a reasonable interpretation of what the spell is supposed to do) one could use this to dictate the actions of the body.

Now let me see. It looks like one can still suppress special resistances to magics when choosing to voluntarily fail a save. Thus someone in the body can allow it to be baleful polymorphed and voluntarily fail both saves. Luckily this does not suppress ex abilities but rather removes them and thus can remove the regeneration. So then the body can be killed while it no longer has the regeneration special ability. And now it is dead if I am not missing any changes in the pathfinder rules.
    Last edited by olentu; 2010-09-16 at 05:53 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

OldWizardGuy

actually, that looks like it might work, if you can legally suppress extraordinary abilities, and if you could successfully take over the Tarrasque.

the real question is, if you have taken over the Tarrasque, why would you then destroy it?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Because you have just made yourself the target of countless exercises in tactical optimization.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fingerlessfist View Post
    actually, that looks like it might work, if you can legally suppress extraordinary abilities, and if you could successfully take over the Tarrasque.

the real question is, if you have taken over the Tarrasque, why would you then destroy it?
    Well you could always save it for later but perhaps you just want to kill it for the prestige or something.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

I've done it with a few Fighter 20s. The idea is to beat it into submission and then just keep beating it ad nauseam; as long as a CdG deals more than 55 damage, it's safe. A decent longterm solution is constructing Golems to hammer away at it, or just Plane Shift it to e.g. Positive Energy Plane where it'll just constantly keep exploding, or Elemental Plane of Water where it'll keep drowning. Or yeah, Magic Jar it.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

12. - Top - End - #12

Apply arbitrary numbers of negative levels through non-SR spells, likes Prestidigitation.

(As developed here)

That's right. I killed the unkillable with a cantrip.
    Last edited by Esser-Z; 2010-09-16 at 06:46 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    Apply arbitrary numbers of negative levels through non-SR spells, likes Prestidigitation.

(As developed here)

That's right. I killed the unkillable with a cantrip.
    It's not that easy. Tarrasque is immune to Energy Drain. Tho Alliping it to coma still works; Shapechange, Command Undead and similar make Alliping it quite easy.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    It's not that easy. Tarrasque is immune to Energy Drain. Tho Alliping it to coma still works; Shapechange, Command Undead and similar make Alliping it quite easy.
    Oh bah. Missed that part. Curses.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Divine Persisting a Summon Undead 4...

wow, what a way to annoy a silly CR critter. ... wait. does its attacks count as magical?

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Malbordeus View Post
    Divine Persisting a Summon Undead 4...

wow, what a way to annoy a silly CR critter. ... wait. does its attacks count as magical?
    Tarrasque's? Its attacks count as epic for the purposes of penetrating DR, but that's it. It can't hit incorporeals. And frankly, Rebuke Undead to Control Allip or just Command Undead is probably the quickest way to pick one along; Teleport and Scry to get to 'em and then bring your new undead toy to comatose Big T permanently. No point in killing it since it would just be reborn, but comatose is nice and its Spell Resistance makes it hard for any random idiot to Restoration it.

Imprisonment is another nice way to get rid of it semi-permanently. Though then it's probably a good idea to conceal it from divination too so people won't know where to Freedom.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-09-16 at 07:16 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

If you've got it comatose, you can then use it as an infinite supply of meat!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

forgive me if i'm wrong here.
    command undead on a intelligent undead is basicly charm person? rebuking you need 8 HD to control, otherwise it cowers?

or you could just repeatedly summon at it... all round win.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

small problem: I'm pretty sure that the Tarrasque is like 50ft70ft long and i don't think you could fit him within a 20ft cage.
    Actually, the Tarrasque is 30' by 30' by 30' cube.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

20. - Top - End - #20

forgive me if i'm wrong here.
    command undead on a intelligent undead is basicly charm person?
    Correct. More or less you just ask it "Please wail at this thing" and then it goes "Sure" and Big T goes "RAWROMGITHURTSGETITOUTOFMYBRAIN!!!" and then you send the Allip right back where you got it from, or slay it depending on your attitude towards those things.

rebuking you need 8 HD to control, otherwise it cowers?
    12 HD. It has Turn Resistance +2. You'll need a 12th level Cleric to Control it.

or you could just repeatedly summon at it... all round win.
    Sure. I prefer longterm control though.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Why do Allips work? Isn't it immune to ability damage/drain?

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    Why do Allips work? Isn't it immune to ability damage/drain?
    Because it's only immune to Ability Damage; Ability Drain works just fine. Really, reading the creature's entry should tell you that
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-09-16 at 08:14 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Actually, the Tarrasque is 30' by 30' by 30' cube.
    STOP PEEING ON MY GLORY!

Seriously though, good point. Force cage clearly won't work though.

Also you other guys have good ideas.

Personally, I like the idea of using the Witch's forced Resurrection grand hex. while it had a low chance of working despite the Tarrasque poor will save, and you will have to wait a day if it fails, if it's successful it means that this mighty beast will die....

Of coruse, it will then immediately reincarnate as a really strong and really dumb goblin, but still... it will be a goblin that is (slightly more)easily killed.
    Last edited by Fingerlessfist; 2010-09-17 at 02:12 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Get a a bunch of dirigibles and start bombing the Holy **** out of it from high altitude. Rocks, chunks of metal, doesn't matter. Just keep doing that until it falls unconscious and then keep doing that. If you want it DEAD you need a high level wizard or similar, but otherwise it's a completely mundane way of taking the beast out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Easy.

Use the latest technology in goblin warfare, and it's game over for the beast:

Spoiler
    Show

GOBLINS WILL PREVAIL!!!

26. - Top - End - #26

OldWizardGuy

Reis Tahlen: I appreciate your goblin-Superiority views, but that weapon is beyond the scope of both goblin and non-goblins in genreal.....

Maybe a pesant railgun?

@ raven's cry: That's A FINE solution! then again, i think being far enough to get away from a Tarrasque spike-launcher reach also means your accuracy will be shot, and it might run, so furtherer methods will be need in order to make this plan easier.

27. - Top - End - #27

It can't hit incorporeals
    Yes it can. The incorporeal subtype was updated in Monster Manual III (and reprinted in TOB), and clearly states that creatures with attacks that count as magic for overcoming DR can attack incorporeal creatures. Though an allip could still go underground and attack through the ground.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dungeonscape.

Trollbane. 90 gp per dose.

Figure out a way to do massive damage with only a few attacks. Standard Ubercharging works, as does a Warblade 17 with Strike of Perfect Clarity.

Give the Tarrasque a couple of massive wounds coated with Trollbane; no more Tarrasque problem.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

@ raven's cry: That's A FINE solution! then again, i think being far enough to get away from a Tarrasque spike-launcher reach also means your accuracy will be shot, and it might run, so furtherer methods will be need in order to make this plan easier.
    Hitting with a falling object would be like hitting with a grenade or other similar weapon, your trying to hit a particular square. This is AC 5. Even with distance modifers, it's still easy.
    Plus, I think he only has a spike weapon in PF. Unfortunately, the PF also took out the wish-to-kill final method. Still, one could always do this after subduing it, and make Laws of the Conservation of Energy and Mass go to bed and weep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Question:
    Did Pathfinder get rid of the starvation and thirst rules, which explicitly bypass regeneration? Because if they didn't, and you can pound it into submission long enough, it's not getting back up until something comes along and deliberately feeds the permanently unconscious beast.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.