New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default abrupt jaunt vs abrupt jaunt

hypothetical situation

I've been thinking of creating a type of mage-slayer (chain tripping swashbuckler with a wizard dip for abrupt jaunt) while using the mage slayer feats

now

said tripper uses abrupt jaunt to move up to the enemy wizard who then moves away (using abrupt jaunt himself)

can I use my ability again to follow him indefinitely ? (until we both run out of uses)

abrupt jaunt is an immediate action so I'm not sure if that = a free action or there is a limit to how many you're given?

on a side note, can I jaunt several times to reach a particular point within one round?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: abrupt jaunt vs abrupt jaunt

Swift Action: Like a free action, but you only get one per turn.

Immediate Action: An action that can be used out of turn but uses your swift action for either this turn or next turn.

So no, you only get one Jaunt per turn.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2010-09-18 at 03:52 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Immediate actions consume the user's next swift action, so no.

You can't abrupt jaunt more than once per round, and you are denied your swift action the round following the immediate action.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

...but, if you were a Ruby Knight Vindicator, and since it's your turn, you could Divine Impetus yourself another swift action to jaunt again.

Hello, wizards, look at your jaunt, now back to mine, now back at your jaunt, now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped using silly arcane magics and switched to divine magic, you could jaunt like you're me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on a battlefield with the man you could jaunt like. What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's a dorje with two charges of hustle and a metapsionic dorje sheath of repeat power. Look again, the dorje is now diamonds that you're going to need in fifteen minutes for a true resurrection spell. Anything is possible when your man jaunts with divine magic and not poncy arcane spells. I'm on a horse.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Epic Stuff
    I wish there was a like button I could just press.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

6. - Top - End - #6

GnomeWizardGuy

...but, if you were a Ruby Knight Vindicator, and since it's your turn, you could Divine Impetus yourself another swift action to jaunt again.

Hello, wizards, look at your jaunt, now back to mine, now back at your jaunt, now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped using silly arcane magics and switched to divine magic, you could jaunt like you're me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on a battlefield with the man you could jaunt like. What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's a dorje with two charges of hustle and a metapsionic dorje sheath of repeat power. Look again, the dorje is now diamonds that you're going to need in fifteen minutes for a true resurrection spell. Anything is possible when your man jaunts with divine magic and not poncy arcane spells. I'm on a horse.
    great now my head is spinning

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fax...just....words do not describe.

Fax>>>>Divinity
    Awesome avatar created by Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    DM says: *Anything, anything at all.*

Players think: "Obviously, the solution is murder!"
    Player Registry

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

And I believe that Fax has just won.
    Epic avatar by Serpentine
    (>*,,*)> Zombie wants to be your friend.

There are no problems that cannot be solved by a liberal enough application of wolves. Think about it.

WIN

9. - Top - End - #9

Yes, congrats Fax! You win. The Internet is now over. Would you like to play again?
    Avatar generously created by ukuleleninja

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    Immediate actions consume the user's next swift action, so no.

You can't abrupt jaunt more than once per round, and you are denied your swift action the round following the immediate action.
    Actually, that is incorrect. You can use an immediate action as a swift action or an immediate action.
    If used as a swift action, it must be used on your turn and uses up this turn swift action.
    If used as immediate, it must be used out of your turn and uses up next turns swift action.

So you can abrupt jaunt more than 1/rd, but other than extra movement speed (since you teleport 10 ft) it isn't that useful.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Actually, that is incorrect. You can use an immediate action as a swift action or an immediate action.
    If used as a swift action, it must be used on your turn and uses up this turn swift action.
    If used as immediate, it must be used out of your turn and uses up next turns swift action.

So you can abrupt jaunt more than 1/rd, but other than extra movement speed (since you teleport 10 ft) it isn't that useful.
    Sorry, try again.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Immediate Actions

Much like a swift action, an immediate action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. However, unlike a swift action, an immediate action can be performed at any time even if it's not your turn. Casting feather fall is an immediate action, since the spell can be cast at any time.

Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn. You cannot use another immediate action or a swift action until after your next turn if you have used an immediate action when it is not currently your turn (effectively, using an immediate action before your turn is equivalent to using your swift action for the coming turn). You also cannot use an immediate action if you are flat-footed.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

No, he's right.

1) On your turn, use Abrupt Jaunt. This counts as a swift action and uses your current turn's swift action.
    2) End your turn.
    3) Use Abrupt Jaunt as an immediate action. This takes your next turn's swift action.

In this way, you can use Abrupt Jaunt twice in the same round. You won't be able to do it again until 2 rounds later, and you can't do anything after the second use until your turn comes up again, but you can use it twice in the same round.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    No, he's right.

1) On your turn, use Abrupt Jaunt. This counts as a swift action and uses your current turn's swift action.
    2) End your turn.
    3) Use Abrupt Jaunt as an immediate action. This takes your next turn's swift action.

In this way, you can use Abrupt Jaunt twice in the same round. You won't be able to do it again until 2 rounds later, and you can't do anything after the second use until your turn comes up again, but you can use it twice in the same round.
    Take another look at the next sentence past what Fax highlighted. The part about having to wait until after your next turn to use one again.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Oh, I see. I thought he was saying you can use it as a swift and then as an immediate on your turn.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Take another look at the next sentence past what Fax highlighted. The part about having to wait until after your next turn to use one again.
    That, as it notes explicitly in that very sentence, is specifically for if you use it as an immediate action when it is not currently your turn. In the method I outlined, the first use is a swift action during your turn instead.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2010-09-18 at 05:10 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

You don't get to do one of each, you can do a swift action or an immediate one per turn.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

You don't get to do one of each, you can do a swift action or an immediate one per turn.
    You use a swift action, end your turn, then use an immediate action.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    You use a swift action, end your turn, then use an immediate action.
    ...which uses next turn's swift. Doesn't help the OP in this case, but it is a valid use.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Hunh... I've always seen abrupt jaunt as a defensive move. Reading through it, you could use it in an OK mage-slayer type application. Mage moves into position to cast a spell. When the caster is in position after finishing their movement (if in range), you could abrupt jaunt next to him and force him to cast defensively or choose some other action. Albeit, with the limited number of uses, it's not that great.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Fax is on a horse, Fax's horse is amazing...

21. - Top - End - #21

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forged Fury View Post
    Hunh... I've always seen abrupt jaunt as a defensive move. Reading through it, you could use it in an OK mage-slayer type application. Mage moves into position to cast a spell. When the caster is in position after finishing their movement (if in range), you could abrupt jaunt next to him and force him to cast defensively or choose some other action. Albeit, with the limited number of uses, it's not that great.
    abrupt jaunt is quite good offensively actually (not pounce but still efficient)

with a 10ft reach weapon, you can 5 step, jaunt and full attack creatures 25ft away, with enough INT (which is doubly useful for a swashbuckler) you can do it a reasonable amount of times a day (say 5-6)

most times I get 3-4 encounters per day, and once you closed in on the right spot you can trip everybody

the wizard level can also trade the normal bonus feat for a fighter feat (Combat Wizard from UA) so it's not a complete waste either

22. - Top - End - #22

Right. I'm using the swift from this turn and the immediate from next turn. There's a reason the "end your turn" step is in there and is between the two uses of Abrupt Jaunt.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Or simplify it, and charge him. He jaunt's away, you jaunt after him. He uses shenanigans to jaunt again, you end your turn (can't hit at the end of the charge now that he's further away), and jaunt next to him to threaten.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

BTW: Fax, do you mind if I sig that epic paragraph?
    Epic avatar by Serpentine
    (>*,,*)> Zombie wants to be your friend.

There are no problems that cannot be solved by a liberal enough application of wolves. Think about it.

WIN

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrthain View Post
    BTW: Fax, do you mind if I sig that epic paragraph?
    Go right ahead.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Forged Fury View Post
    Hunh... I've always seen abrupt jaunt as a defensive move.
    I don't have PH2 (though the player who does have a copy is just coming now), but I thought it was only a defensive move? I thought all of the Immediate Magic abilities were triggered when you got attacked.
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    I don't have PH2 (though the player who does have a copy is just coming now), but I thought it was only a defensive move? I thought all of the Immediate Magic abilities were triggered when you got attacked.
    Immediate actions are triggered by your will alone.

28. - Top - End - #28

Is there a way to award Fax the Internet for this?? If not, there oughta be.
    Thanks The Neoclassic for my avatar!

Stark Raving Dad - a blog about life.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theos911 View Post
    Fighter: I can kill a guy in one turn.
    Cleric: I can kill a guy in half a turn.
    Wizard: I can kill a guy before my turn!
    Bard: I can get 12 idiots to go kill guys for me
    Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Oh, and Person-Man's real name is a little something called "SKYNET"

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    Immediate actions are triggered by your will alone.
    Well, that's not exactly true. There are immediate actions that are triggered in response to some other action -- interrupting an enemy, for example. They are also triggered by your will -- you choose to react to the trigger -- but it's not "your will alone".

Reactive Counterspell is one example. And I had thought that Immediate Magic was another; you could only choose to abrupt jaunt, cursed glance, counterfire, or whatever in response to an enemy's attack.
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zander View Post
    Would you like to play again?
    Great. Fax won, and everyone else just lost.

I hate The Game...