New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Questions

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Questions

As the title suggests, I need some help. I'm trying to decide on some good feats for a low level caster, say level three. I've thought that combat casting and extend spell would be good ones. My current resources on books is sadly only phb, and phb two. Also, if I multi-class, and take a wizard level at level five, but my current wizard level isn't five, do I still get the bonus feat? Or do I need straight up five wizard levels? Oh, and this is 3.5. Just in case if that needs to be clarified.
    Last edited by Xanmyral; 2010-09-18 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Forgot to state edition.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Xanmyral View Post
    As the title suggests, I need some help. I'm trying to decide on some good feats for a low level caster, say level three. I've thought that combat casting and extend spell would be good ones. My current resources on books is sadly only phb, and phb two.
    Extend spell is good, but combat casting is generally considered to be unneccissary. Empower is useful if you use damaging spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanmyral View Post
    Also, if I multi-class, and take a wizard level at level five, but my current wizard level isn't five, do I still get the bonus feat? Or do I need straight up five wizard levels? Oh, and this is 3.5. Just in case if that needs to be clarified.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

It depends.

If your going to be shooting spells into melee a lot(or even just using a missile weapon) then Point Blank Shot and Precise shot are good.

The boost from Spell Focus is always good, anything to make your spells more powerful.

Metamagic-you don't have many spell slots to work with. You could pick a single spell to boost or boost cantrips. You could get more hours out of Mage Armor with Extend Spell, for example.

Item Creation-If you can take them and use them they can be great, you can make potions and minor magic items(and scrolls) easy enough.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Combat Casting is useless. It's a single +4 boost to one skill in a situation no spellcaster should ever find himself in regularly enough to waste a feat on it. (Protip: Skill Focus is a +3 bonus that applies at all times. If you really must, and it's not for a PrC, take that instead.)

Extend Spell is good. Empower Spell is... better than Combat Casting, but as a Wizard you don't want to be throwing too many direct damage spells around.

You only get the bonus feats every fifth Wizard level.

Also, a tip on multiclassing: don't. A Wizard is defined by his caster level and spells - multiclassing robs him of his highest-level spells and means he can't keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodtide View Post
    The boost from Spell Focus is always good, anything to make your spells more powerful.
    This is not true. Unless you're shooting for a PrC or Augment Summoning, Spell Focus is a waste of a feat for a paltry +1 to save DCs. Your save DCs will be high enough anyway.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2010-09-19 at 04:40 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."