New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Is there a way to get someone to power-up their character?

Inspired by another thread on this board.

I was thinking back to my last campaign. The problem was that we had one character (fighter/barbarian gestalt) that was simply badly built. When confronted with CR-appropriate encounters, he couldn't hit them unless he rolled a 20. Took Toughness for as many of his feat choices as he could. Needless to say he started feeling useless. I thought about dropping appropriate loot, but with a party with 3 heavy hitters that's kind of difficult.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Is there a way to get someone to power-up their character?

The first thing you should do when someone looks at toughness is to suggest improved toughness. Even a non-optimizer will see that it's clearly better.

Gotta start em off small, can't take em straight to the deep end of the pool all at once.

Typically, new characters are also given build advice by one or more experienced players. Had a warmage join my party last night. He hadn't played much before, and it's not a top tier class, but he immediately started out with a ridiculous amount of spellpoints and 9d6 fireballs in E6, and a +9 unbuffed to ranged touch attacks. He's a blaster, sure, since that's what he wanted, but he's good at it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maybe allow feat retraining as per PHB II?
    Awesome avatar by starwoof

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Maybe don't use those whacky gestalt rules in games with players who only have a basis rules knowledge?

Or sit in and help them gen.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyx View Post
    Maybe don't use those whacky gestalt rules in games with players who only have a basis rules knowledge?

Gestalt's not that bad here, considering we had a no multi-classing rule. I was basically handing him a sheet that said "you have fighter skill points and bonus feats, but you get a d12 hit die and rage." And he had our more experienced fighter sitting over his shoulder offering good feat choices. That and he wasn't any less experienced than most of the rest of our group, who did fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcanistSupreme View Post
    Maybe allow feat retraining as per PHB II?
    I did.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I have to ask, are they level appropriate or group appropriate?

I had an issue, well two actually, very similar.

In one there was a group of powergamers who kept telling me to "make a better character". I ended up doubting myself and the game became miserable.

In the second we had a great group for years, then one player was invited from the previously mentioned group. Suddenly he won every encounter single-handedly and people started to get bored. At one point they got mad at ME for not participating in encounters and saying "What? I will take part in the next one the DM has to throw at us when Jordon wastes his 'big shots'".

Basically, a sole rolepalyer is not meant for a powergamer group, and a sole powergamer is not meant for a roleplaying group.
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

First of all, the character would be a lot more powerful if it were a gestalt between Barbarian and Feat Rogue. Basically, it would be the same character, but with much better skills, a lot more class features, and a good Reflex save.

Secondly, if the guy took Toughness, let alone taking Toughness multiple times, you failed in your role as assistants in helping him create his character. Failed miserably.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

...Who would take Toughness if they have d12 hit dice?

...Oh wait I remember someone who did that. That was an annoying argument. -_-
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Have a lvl 15 wizard appear, whisk him away, and chaos shuffle(pair of 8th lvl fiend folio spells) his feats around to end up with better feats. I don't know why he'd do it off hand but if you can't think of a plot reasoning for it, I'm sure we can help there to.

Frankly though, I don't see how he's missing so much...a single classed Barb USUALLY doesn't have feats that improve his hit chance (maybe reckless rage, but that's +1 tops). Make sure he has a lvl appropriate strength item, a +1 weapon with another +1 per 4 lvls, and he shouldn't need friggin 20s to hit.

It SOUNDS like someone dropped the ball somewhere...I mean even without all that, unless he's at 16 without a magical weapon AT ALL he should still have a chance to hit on an 18. The AC of the things you're having him fight sounds to high. A sub-optimal average melee should be able to hit average enemies of his CR 50% of the time, really high AC stuff around 25-30% of the time, and huge easy to hit stuff 75% of the time(if not 100%).

Either your enemies are way to hard to hit or someone added up his attack bonus wrong...maybe he's not raging, I dunno.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JaxGaret View Post
    First of all, the character would be a lot more powerful if it were a gestalt between Barbarian and Feat Rogue. Basically, it would be the same character, but with much better skills, a lot more class features, and a good Reflex save.

Secondly, if the guy took Toughness, let alone taking Toughness multiple times, you failed in your role as assistants in helping him create his character. Failed miserably.
    Well he was told "feats make your character. Toughness is a bad feat. Please let us give you suggestions for better feats." And said no.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Juggernaut View Post
    Have a lvl 15 wizard appear, whisk him away, and chaos shuffle(pair of 8th lvl fiend folio spells) his feats around to end up with better feats. I don't know why he'd do it off hand but if you can't think of a plot reasoning for it, I'm sure we can help there to.

Frankly though, I don't see how he's missing so much...a single classed Barb USUALLY doesn't have feats that improve his hit chance (maybe reckless rage, but that's +1 tops). Make sure he has a lvl appropriate strength item, a +1 weapon with another +1 per 4 lvls, and he shouldn't need friggin 20s to hit.

It SOUNDS like someone dropped the ball somewhere...I mean even without all that, unless he's at 16 without a magical weapon AT ALL he should still have a chance to hit on an 18. The AC of the things you're having him fight sounds to high. A sub-optimal average melee should be able to hit average enemies of his CR 50% of the time, really high AC stuff around 25-30% of the time, and huge easy to hit stuff 75% of the time(if not 100%).

Either your enemies are way to hard to hit or someone added up his attack bonus wrong...maybe he's not raging, I dunno.
    He has left the group now (moved away). I was just wondering - for all the people who complain about powergaming, what would they do in this situation. The encounters are appropriate for the group at least. My other two fighter-types are hitting fairly often, with them both being TWF types. He's playing two-handed axe and not hitting.

I just don't get it. My other players weren't exactly munchkins, and they loved roleplaying and were good at it. He just didn't seem to want to be bothered with optimization at all.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I would show him the ToB classes. Much harder to screw them up.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Scream really loud in an angry pose for three episodes?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    I would show him the ToB classes. Much harder to screw them up.
    You could still, say, take Toughness for every feat as a Warblade.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyx View Post

Yeah, I don't generally bother with gestalt unless all the players have a solid familiarity. It's not a tough addition if you know the system, but if you dont...it can be awkward.

Be aware that some people aren't fond of math and comparisons. Trying to demonstrate that X is a bad feat to them is...difficult. Now, if they don't complain about their char, no problem. If they complain, and are willing to accept advice, also no problem. If they refuse to accept advice, and are angry that they suck, the irony should be pointed out to them. It's completely their fault at that point.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2010-09-19 at 07:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    You could still, say, take Toughness for every feat as a Warblade.
    You're much better off than a fighter//barbarian who has toughness as every feat.

Now, if they simply don't use maneuvers in combat... that's the only way I can think of to really screw up a single classed ToB character.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Well he was told "feats make your character. Toughness is a bad feat. Please let us give you suggestions for better feats." And said no.
    If someone is feeling inadequate because of his subpar build, and in response you let him rebuild and ask if he wants suggestions, and he rejects all this help, then sucks to be him. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    You're much better off than a fighter//barbarian who has toughness as every feat.

Now, if they simply don't use maneuvers in combat... that's the only way I can think of to really screw up a single classed ToB character.
    It would still probably be stronger than a single class figher (yay d12 hp)
    "When the DM is smiling, it's already too late"

Paranoia is fun, other games are not; play paranoia (and also 3.5, I play that alot too)

Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Posted by NNescio
    "Of course all magic manipulates energy, First Law of Thermodynamics, duh!"

See, the thing is, energy in D&D does not mean the same thing as it does in Physics.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Kill the character, make a new one.

You failed at helping your friend make a good character. Throw away the trash and help him properly this time.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

You could kill the PC, then throw in a NPC Cleric who is resurrection happy, and use Heroes of Horror's suggestion that not all resurrections could summon the correct soul, and the soul that now inhabits the body is good at fighting.
    Last edited by firemagehao; 2010-09-19 at 08:13 PM.
    Fighter: "I can kill someone in a turn."
    Cleric: "I can kill someone in half a turn."
    Wizard: "I can kill someone before my turn."
    Bard: "I can make three idiots kill people for me."

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Quote Originally Posted by Tsumeken View Post
    (*starts laughing* Oh my god.... you do not know what fresh Hell you've suddenly introduced do you? Oh well... here we go...)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

I was thinking back to my last campaign. The problem was that we had one character (fighter/barbarian gestalt) that was simply badly built. When confronted with CR-appropriate encounters, he couldn't hit them unless he rolled a 20. Took Toughness for as many of his feat choices as he could. Needless to say he started feeling useless. I thought about dropping appropriate loot, but with a party with 3 heavy hitters that's kind of difficult.
    Wow! How do you make a fighter/barb gestalt that doesn't slaughter everything? Toughness as every feat? Really? I only use that feat on NPCs I don't want killing all the PCs. Yeah, tell them to ditch the 3 HP upgrades. Weapon focus, weapon specialization, greater of the two former, extended rage, extra rage, monkey grip. All those are good, but the three every barbarian and fighter built like a tank should have are power attack, cleave, great cleave.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Yeah, I don't generally bother with gestalt unless all the players have a solid familiarity. It's not a tough addition if you know the system, but if you dont...it can be awkward.

Be aware that some people aren't fond of math and comparisons. Trying to demonstrate that X is a bad feat to them is...difficult. Now, if they don't complain about their char, no problem. If they complain, and are willing to accept advice, also no problem. If they refuse to accept advice, and are angry that they suck, the irony should be pointed out to them. It's completely their fault at that point.
    I agree. If you gave the guy advice and he didn't listen at all this is his own fault. If someone at that point wants to engage in retraining or start a new character that might be ok. But if they won't there's not much you can do to help them out. If you absolutely need to help them out in a situation like this I suppose they could conveniently find a powerful magical artifact that only worked when someone was raging. But you shouldn't need to do that.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fryplink View Post
    It would still probably be stronger than a single class figher (yay d12 hp)
    Well, yeah. But not really stronger than a single-class Barbarian, which is the problem.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    the three every barbarian and fighter built like a tank should have are power attack, cleave, great cleave.
    Great Cleave is kind of sort of a trap, actually - because ~95% of the time you won't have more than 2 combatants within reach, and mook cleanup is generally someone else's job - Cleave though can be useful enough to be worth it.

Also, you spelled "power attack, shock trooper, leap attack" wrong.
    Last edited by JaxGaret; 2010-09-19 at 08:29 PM.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Well, yeah. But not really stronger than a single-class Barbarian, which is the problem.
    yea, i thought about mentioning him, but decided that a maneuver-free warblade would get destroyed against a barbarian.
    "When the DM is smiling, it's already too late"

Paranoia is fun, other games are not; play paranoia (and also 3.5, I play that alot too)

Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Posted by NNescio
    "Of course all magic manipulates energy, First Law of Thermodynamics, duh!"

See, the thing is, energy in D&D does not mean the same thing as it does in Physics.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

I just don't get it. My other players weren't exactly munchkins, and they loved roleplaying and were good at it. He just didn't seem to want to be bothered with optimization at all.
    It does seem like a bit of mystery, but a question about him and the party.
    1)Was he someone who joined in solely for D&D, or already a member of your circle of friends?
    2)How was the advice phrased? Particularly if he wasn't already a friend of yours.

For instance, if he sat down at character creation having never met any of you, and the optimizers in the group started in on him with "You shouldn't take toughness and weapon focus, take power attack, ranks in jump, and leap attack." I'd say it's the groups own fault that he ignored their advice, wellmeaning though it may have been. Being correct doesn't excuse being rude.

Not that I'm saying that's what your group did, it's just something I've seen in games where the players have vastly different experiences/expectations.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    It does seem like a bit of mystery, but a question about him and the party.
    1)Was he someone who joined in solely for D&D, or already a member of your circle of friends?
    2)How was the advice phrased? Particularly if he wasn't already a friend of yours.

For instance, if he sat down at character creation having never met any of you, and the optimizers in the group started in on him with "You shouldn't take toughness and weapon focus, take power attack, ranks in jump, and leap attack." I'd say it's the groups own fault that he ignored their advice, wellmeaning though it may have been. Being correct doesn't excuse being rude.

Not that I'm saying that's what your group did, it's just something I've seen in games where the players have vastly different experiences/expectations.
    He already knew all of us quite well. His girlfriend is our best player. I think it was something like "feats really are the central part of this class, if you don't want feats maybe something else would be better, or we can help you find feats."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

If a Fighter//Barbarian canīt hit things reliably in most battles due to ac it is because of:
    -Ability scores suck
    -Equipment is not level appropriate
    -Monsters are unbalanced selfmade ones with optimized AC

Feat choice should have nothing to do with it. Feats give a fighter a modest amount of battlefield control or increase his damage output, atm I canīt think of any worthwhile feat that increases toHit

/edit Maybe if all three points are not true he did his math wrong and didnīt add str etc to his attack rolls?
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2010-09-19 at 09:36 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerask View Post
    If a Fighter//Barbarian canīt hit things reliably in most battles due to ac it is because of:
    -Ability scores suck
    -Equipment is not level appropriate
    -Monsters are unbalanced selfmade ones with optimized AC

Feat choice should have nothing to do with it. Feats give a fighter a modest amount of battlefield control or increase his damage output, atm I canīt think of any worthwhile feat that increases toHit
    Well, if you are playing with two weapons that matters a fair bit. Also, Weapon Specialization and its companion don't do much but they do matter. If you include all three you've got a total of +10 at most, yes?
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not quite sure *what* he did to be honest. I just know he never seemed to hit anything, while our ranger with a longbow could hit 75% of the time, and our TWF fighter could hit 90% of the time. He would always forget to send me his sheet.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Well, if you are playing with two weapons that matters a fair bit. Also, Weapon Specialization and its companion don't do much but they do matter. If you include all three you've got a total of +10 at most, yes?
    Yes if you use two weapons then two weapon fighting would help I give you that ^^

But weapon specialization does only increase your damage roll by +2 (afaik) which is pretty pointless at the time you can get the feat.