New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Default (3.5) Metamagic Applied to High-Level Spells?

What ways are there to effectively quicken or empower 8th and 9th level spells without going into epic?

I've only managed to find one fairly easy way so far, I was wondering if there were others.

Thanks in Advance!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5) Metamagic Applied to High-Level Spells?

Need to use metamagic offset abilities. Some examples are the Divine Metamagic feat, Spelldancer (prc), Rods of metamagic, I'm sure there are more. Might help if you tell us arcane/divine and your primary class.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Use metamagic reductions, such as Incantrix 10, Easy Metamagic, Practical Metamagic, and Arcane Thesis, along with Metamagics such as Sanctum Spell to drop the level of the spell somewhat. That could do it.

The Sudden Metamagic's would do it as well.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Sorry: Arcane Spellcasting

ETA: I was primarily thinking about going with Escalation Mage from Faiths of Eberron. No outlandish feat or skill investment required, Full caster 6-level PrC, gain a maximum of 10 pseudo-metamagic escalations requiring caster level checks to avoid damage from using the escalation. Presumably, one could use Eberron Action Points to extend this ability.
    Last edited by Forged Fury; 2010-09-22 at 02:02 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Metamagic rods are an easy way. Metamagic school focus. Any of the Sudden metamagic feats. The Residual Magic tactical feat.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-09-22 at 05:17 PM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aeauseth View Post
    Need to use metamagic offset abilities. Some examples are the Divine Metamagic feat, Spelldancer (prc), Rods of metamagic, I'm sure there are more. Might help if you tell us arcane/divine and your primary class.

Just to clarify something, if you definately need Quicken, Spelldancer won't do. Still and Quicken are the two metamagics clearly spelled out not to work with the ability, and so are Invocation and Necromancy spells.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ultimate Magus will do it, i think.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, quick list of easy options:
    - Greater Metamagic Rods
    - Sudden Metamagic Feats [Complete Arcane]
    - Metamagic Cost Bypassing Class Features:
    Incantatrix [PGtF]
    Ultimate Magus [CM]
    Spelldancer [MoF]
    Tainted Scholar [HoH]
    Anything with Circle Magic (Red Wizard of Thay [DMG], Hathran [PGtF], Halruaan Elder [SS])
    - Metamagic Cost Reducing Feats & Class Features:
    1. Classes such as Incantatrix [PGtF], Dweomerkeeper [CDiv Web Enhancement] & Halruaan Elder [SS]
    2. Feats such as Metamagic School Focus [CM], Practical Metamagic [RotD], Easy Metamagic [DR325] & Arcane Thesis [PHBII]

Off the top of my head. There's of course more (Metamagic Song [RoS], Improved Metamagic [SRD, Epic], Divine Metamagic [CDiv], etc.) but they aren't probably relevant to the point at hands.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

UM caps at 5th level spells (1/2 class level), so you can't burn a 4th level slot to quicken a 9th level spell. If you had some other shanananigans like Sanctum Spell (which would make a 6th level spell effectively a 5th level spell, and thus applicable for UM), or you had some way to progress "effective" UM levels (Uncanny Trickster or Legacy Champion) by another 8 levels (impossible pre-epic), you'd have a hard time pulling free metamagic on 9s with UM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Recaster (Races of Eberron) is all about metamagic, too. Besides the obvious class features you can also use the 2 spells you get to pick from other class lists for versions of spells which happen to be lower level on that other classes' lists.

Edit; Also, Jade Phoenix Mage (ToB) lets you empower or quicken spells for free after a successful strike.
    Last edited by avr; 2010-09-22 at 06:27 PM.