New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Optimizing pistols [DnD 3.5e]

'Ello playgrounders.

After a break, I've been contemplating getting back into roleplaying, specifically my old 3.5e passion. I've played tons of different characters, tried many, many different builds, basically, I've been playing the field.

Except for the more rogue-esque ones.

And I've got my eye on, at least from what I gather, one of the less loved types of rogue-esque characters - a gunslinging one.

Personally I'm going by the ones in the DMG, in particular the pistol one. What I'm looking for is a way to build a character that can perform well with the gun, as well as being useful in other traditional rogue like areas of expertise, such as stealth and, especially important, charisma and persuasion.

As I see it, strictly looking at the gun, there is one major hurdle I have to get around, which is reloading the pistol, which by the DMG takes a standard action, meaning I could potentially fire only one bullet every two rounds (and that flat sucks).

So, I'm looking for suggestions for class, feats, skills, weapons, tricks, anything really, to optimize pistol use.

Any level will do, though the faster you can make it work the better, all books are fine deal, though the more obscure ones might not be really all that plausible once I get a game, so avoid those if possible.

Thanks in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Optimizing pistols [DnD 3.5e]

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    'Ello playgrounders.

After a break, I've been contemplating getting back into roleplaying, specifically my old 3.5e passion. I've played tons of different characters, tried many, many different builds, basically, I've been playing the field.

Except for the more rogue-esque ones.

And I've got my eye on, at least from what I gather, one of the less loved types of rogue-esque characters - a gunslinging one.

Personally I'm going by the ones in the DMG, in particular the pistol one. What I'm looking for is a way to build a character that can perform well with the gun, as well as being useful in other traditional rogue like areas of expertise, such as stealth and, especially important, charisma and persuasion.

As I see it, strictly looking at the gun, there is one major hurdle I have to get around, which is reloading the pistol, which by the DMG takes a standard action, meaning I could potentially fire only one bullet every two rounds (and that flat sucks).

So, I'm looking for suggestions for class, feats, skills, weapons, tricks, anything really, to optimize pistol use.

Any level will do, though the faster you can make it work the better, all books are fine deal, though the more obscure ones might not be really all that plausible once I get a game, so avoid those if possible.

Thanks in advance.
    Aside from a house-ruled Rapid Reload style feat, buying a whole brace of pistols and using Quick Draw seems a good workaround.
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by IdleMuse View Post
    Aside from a house-ruled Rapid Reload style feat, buying a whole brace of pistols and using Quick Draw seems a good workaround.
    I thought about that.

But wouldn't that be insanely expensive, considering that I would have to enchant each pistol to get a good damage output?

And on another note, half the fun of playing a gunslinger is having some sort of awesome, special gun rather than a whole bunch of ordinary ones.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I thought about that.

But wouldn't that be insanely expensive, considering that I would have to enchant each pistol to get a good damage output?

And on another note, half the fun of playing a gunslinger is having some sort of awesome, special gun rather than a whole bunch of ordinary ones.
    Enchant ammo instead of the guns.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Enchant ammo instead of the guns.
    You know, that's not a bad idea.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

If you like martial adepts and homebrew, look up the black rain discipline. It's pretty awesome.
    Epic avatar by Serpentine
    (>*,,*)> Zombie wants to be your friend.

There are no problems that cannot be solved by a liberal enough application of wolves. Think about it.

WIN

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

You know, that's not a bad idea.
    This is kind of why enchanting ammo exists. Keep a brace of pistols loaded with awesome ammo.

Alternately, ask the DM if your pistols can be revolvers with the stats in the DMG. Also, I suggest checking out the Chaositech Technology PDF by Monte Cook. The stats are much better and still very balanced.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Even if you could reload guns as a free action they wouldn't be worth using. The only sources of bonus damage and effects would be enchantments and precision damage. The former is very expensive, and the latter is somewhat difficult to pull off with ranged weapons.

Are you willing to use wands and just call them guns? Because they're easy to optimize.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

You could also adapt Hand Crossbow Focus from Drow of the Underdark. I've seen people use the feat in a gunslingery fashion, though that just brings back memories of ToS, Olo and why he shouldn't use Lightning Maces.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!