New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Thoughts on building Samus Aran?

I've been thinking about building a Samus-Like heavily armored ranged-weapon wielder, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about this, in part due to only a little interaction with 3.5's min-maxing set up.

So I turn to GITP, and ask.

I want Full Plate. I want a primary focus to be ranged weaponry (preferably something like a Hand Crossbow). And I want Human. Beyond that, I don't really know what to take or how to look at it, and am more than willing to accept anyone's thoughts on it.
    Last edited by NineThePuma; 2010-09-22 at 04:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Thoughts on building Samus Aran?

How much homebrew is acceptable?
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

An archer-cleric actually fits the bill rather well. Since you can key your ranged attacks off Wis, you can wear full armor if you so choose, and domains, spells, and devotion feats can make up the rest of her special abilities.
    BEEP.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

my initial reaction was to make it a warlock, but i dont know how you would get full plate on that.

all the other toys and the technology in the armor can be replicated with your invocations
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M-Bark View Post
    How much homebrew is acceptable?
    If homebrew IS acceptable, then my man Holocron Coder has you covered, with the Battle Armor of Aran.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Home brew is acceptable, but I'd rather keep it from being a collection of artifacts. While completely awesome, I'd like it to be a character that could, theoretically, be built. Ergo, homebrew can't be ridiculous, and it can't be a specific class built to emulate Samus (I found one of those. It was kinda lame, actually x3;;; )

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

i went through the same proses making an iron man-like charictor and i found that the easyest way to do it was to make an artificer and slowly biuld a custom suit of armor depending what is allowed in ur game u should look at the power classes atificer his mechamagical ability and the wat he casts spells fits the flavor and is the cheapest cost on xp also going with the building your own suit consept fits the flover perectly

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

What about a warforged warlock with access to the DFA's Humanoid Shape invocation?

And Leaps and Bounds of course, as well as Devil's Sight, etc.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-09-22 at 05:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I can think of several ways of making this character:

1. Warlock, grab Armored Spellcaster and wear a mithral plate.
    2. Fighter/Soulknife/Soulbow. Take Zen Archery and the only stat you really need is wisdom, and Soulbow is actually a very good prestige class.
    3. Artificer, craft wands and use them to fire blasts of energy at enemies. I'm not sure how armor works with this class, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    What about a warforged warlock with access to the DFA's humanoid shape invocation?
    That's not a human in armor. That's a robot who sometimes pretends to be a human.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2010-09-22 at 05:22 PM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by oookler View Post
    i went through the same proses making an iron man-like charictor and i found that the easyest way to do it was to make an artificer and slowly biuld a custom suit of armor depending what is allowed in ur game u should look at the power classes atificer his mechamagical ability and the wat he casts spells fits the flavor and is the cheapest cost on xp also going with the building your own suit consept fits the flover perectly
    GAAAAAH! MY EYES, THEY BURN!
    Last edited by Teln; 2010-09-22 at 05:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DythTheKobold View Post
    Home brew is acceptable, but I'd rather keep it from being a collection of artifacts. While completely awesome, I'd like it to be a character that could, theoretically, be built. Ergo, homebrew can't be ridiculous, and it can't be a specific class built to emulate Samus (I found one of those. It was kinda lame, actually x3;;; )
    So, a warlock prestige class that allows heavy armor would be fine? That about covers it, sure, you lack some of the Samus style tricks (morphball), but the warlock has some firepower, and is mobile.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I'm kind of curious how you would transform into a little ball. That strikes me as Samus's prime iconic ability.

...Polymorph? Reduce self?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    my initial reaction was to make it a warlock, but i dont know how you would get full plate on that.

all the other toys and the technology in the armor can be replicated with your invocations
    Warlock? Mithral Plate and the feat that allows you to wear heavier armour while casting. Done.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    So, a warlock prestige class that allows heavy armor would be fine? That about covers it, sure, you lack some of the Samus style tricks (morphball), but the warlock has some firepower, and is mobile.
    Humanoid Shape covers morphball, as well as letting a warforged "take off the suit". Alternatively, try lycanthropy - maybe a weredog.

And why do you want to give heavy armour to a character who is clearly unrestrained by their armour? There's the psychoactive skin of ectoplasmic armour I suppose. (it's in MIC and basically a suit of full plate which doesn't restrict your movement - the basic rules for psychoactive skins are here)
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-09-22 at 05:29 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I'm kind of curious how you would transform into a little ball. That strikes me as Samus's prime iconic ability.

...Polymorph? Reduce self?
    Monk + hideaway amulet?
    BEEP.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Cleric.

Relevant feats:
    Heighten Spell
    Invisible Needle (Complete Mage - Reserve feat: Blaster)
    Born Aloft (Complete Mage - Reserve feat: High Jump)
    Full Plate.

You're... mostly there, depending on *which* Samus. Is there a specific set of abilities you're after?
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oookler View Post
    Attempting to translate...

I went through the same process making an Iron Man like character and found that the easiest way to do it was to make an Artificer and slowly build a custom suit of armor. Depending on what is allowed in your game you should look at the power classes Artificer; his MechaMagical ability and the way he casts spells fits the flavor and is the cheapest in terms of XP costs. Also, going with the building your own suit concept fits the flavor perfectly.
    (Anyone questioning this translation can try THEIR hand.)

I consider Artificer, but Artificer doesn't have fighting prowess I would want, nor would I start with the armor creating abilities... AND it's incompatible with the Full Plate I want.

[hr]

Soulbow looks good, but I'm wary of the Soulknife class in general, without using a homebrewed remake.

[hr]

I'd like to avoid direct magic classes (and yes, the Full Plate is needed. It wouldn't be Samus if there wasn't armor) and instead focus on the prowess. While an artificer could BUILD the armor, I'm not sure that an Artificer could USE it. ... Does that make any sense? |3

<hr>

EDIT

The abilities I'm after are intended to be a heavily armored ranged weapon user who can take loads of damage.
    Last edited by NineThePuma; 2010-09-22 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Fixing tags.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

While an artificer could BUILD the armor, I'm not sure that an Artificer could USE it. ... Does that make any sense?
    Three feats solve that problem easily.
    The abilities I'm after are intended to be a heavily armored ranged weapon user who can take loads of damage.
    So... a fullplate fighter with a bow qualifies?
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Three feats solve that problem easily.

So... a fullplate fighter with a bow qualifies?
    A full plate fighter with a bow would qualify, but I'm trying to optimize the concept.
    ... And yes, those feets do it, but I meant that as a more "I'm not sure an Artificer in the armor would be effective."
    Last edited by NineThePuma; 2010-09-22 at 05:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

And I want Human.
    Human? She's halfish-Chozo.
    Is there a "half-Kenku" template or something lying around somewhere?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Three feats solve that problem easily.So... a fullplate fighter with a bow qualifies?
    Artificers automatically have at least Light, so... no need for that one. IIRC they get medium too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

She got a chozo blood transfusion. That doesn't make her a half bird thing.

They have up to medium, but I want a character who kicks ass and takes names without being a spellcaster in and of herself.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Human? She's halfish-Chozo.
    Is there a "half-Kenku" template or something lying around somewhere?
    She's not half-Chozo. She's got an infusion of Chozo blood combined with gene therapy. She's more of an augmented human, with a boosted Dex score and Fort save.

Really, though, she's only actually able to be accurately portrayed by a WotC d20 system if you use SW SAGA. Medium armor (possibly beskar'gam), with multiple attachments and such (including shielding)... the only things you can't do by making her a Soldier/Scout/Bounty Hunter/Elite Trooper are possibly Morph Ball and her suit's ability to rapidly reconfigure itself to and from the Zero Suit state. Space Jump (and possibly Speed Booster) are covered by a jetpack, and her Arm Cannon would be a mounted Blaster Rifle (possibly homebrewed to have a charge function similar to the Bryar Rifle from the TFU guide). Grappling Beam is an ascension gun, and the Visors are mostly just an application of integrating a computer system with the Helmet Package.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

I personally thought that this homebrew was pretty freakin' sweet. Hopefully it isn't the one that you didn't like.
    Awesome avatar by starwoof

25. - Top - End - #25

Warforged Component: Hank's Energy Bow? There's either a graft or symbiont in the Fiend Folio that could turn it into a natural weapon as well I believe but I forget which it is.

This method also works for Mega Man reconstructions.
    Last edited by Wings of Peace; 2010-09-22 at 06:10 PM.
    Doc Roc: We're going to eat ourselves.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

@Mando Knight: Building Boba was gonna be my next thread XP

@AS: That was NOT it, but I'll look that over for awesome.

@WoP: Aiming for Human tho =O

27. - Top - End - #27

@WoP: Aiming for Human tho =O
    Graft/Symbiont then. I'm afb but I'll check later to make sure that it's legal.
    Doc Roc: We're going to eat ourselves.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I have to third that warlock with Battle Caster feat and Mithril Full-Plate works, take Leaps and Bounds invocation to do super jumps, and plenty of blast shapes and eldritch essence invocations. Doesn't get morph ball unfortunately.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Morphball would be hard to emulate under D20 rules without cheating a bit. I'll consider warlock. Where might that feat be found? (Battle Caster, I mean)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Soulbow looks good, but I'm wary of the Soulknife class in general, without using a homebrewed remake.
    2-4 levels in Soulknife won't hurt you too much: it's medium BAB and free weapon focus so your attack bonus doesn't suffer in comparison to a fighter, you get two high saves, a D10 hit die, good skill points and access to psionic combat feats. And you can use Psychic Strike to represent a charged shot.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show