New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default 3.5 Familiars Questions

Should I replace my familiar class feature with abrupt jaunt? Source: PHB2 Wizard alternative class features.

Question 2: I've heard of someone using their familiar as a heal bot or regen bot that also casts other spells. How would I accomplish this, and is it worth it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: 3.5 Familiars Questions

This should help you make up your mind.

Not sure if it includes the healing thing though.

Edit: In general, if you've got access to Abjuration, Conjuration, and Illusion on the same character (and you are guaranteed Conjuration if you are thinking about Abrupt Jaunt), it will depend on your level for if you need Abrupt Jaunt or not. If you are over 9th level, your Familiar will be much more powerful (especially if you listen to that handbook I just linked to). If not, ditch it and take Obtain Familiar later on.
    Last edited by Chipp Zanuff; 2010-09-22 at 11:40 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

GnomeWizardGuy

you have 2 main options for a healbot familiar

1rst

get the exalted familiar from book of exalted deeds that can lay on hands his HP total (which happens to equal yours)

2nd

get a familiar with UMD (probably from your own skill) that's able to use a wand (wands of healing are quite cheap)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Abrupt Jaunt is a quite good (and often banned, nerfed, or at least frowned upon) ability, although personally I prefer familiars.

A familiar healbot is usually made via UMD + wands. To get them to cast spells Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability is a Lv 6 spell that gives them limited casting.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

It depends on your level. At low levels Abrupt Jaunt is better unless you really make your familliar work for it, which can be risky. At higher levels Abrupt Jaunt is still crazy, but the familiar gets better. At 7th you can cast Trollshape through the bond to make your familiar into a tank, and with the troll's regeneration it doesn't have to worry about low hit points. At 11th you can do the same with Lesser Dragonshape, which won't have regeneration but will be a Young Adult Red Dragon (look up the stats).

Most importantly however, is Imbue Familiar with spell ability, also a 6th level spell. You get a minimum of 3 (likely 4 if you have any sort of CL boost at all) spells into your familiar, who can then cast them for you. It's as good as quicken, except it's also like Contingency with sentient programing. The imbued spells are higher level than you could otherwise quicken, so if nothing else it's just straight better than quicken spell. Better than Quicken Spell.

Edit: oh, and remember how metamagic doesn't increase a spell's actual level? That means that even though you can't transfer your highest level spells, you can still transfer the highest amount of metamagic you can apply. Your familiar can launch the orb of doom, or you could quicken your imbues so you can cast while you cast while your familiar casts while your familiar casts.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2010-09-23 at 02:47 AM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

If I didn't want a familiar (too much chance of it getting eaten), what would the best thing to swap it for?

-edit- for wizard, not sorcerer or anything :)
    Last edited by panaikhan; 2010-09-23 at 07:42 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by panaikhan View Post
    If I didn't want a familiar (too much chance of it getting eaten), what would the best thing to swap it for?

Abrupt Jaunt. Immediate action 10' teleport, usable INT per day (or was it 3+INT?) Each specialization has its own immediate action trick, they're from either the PHB2 or the complete mage.

8. - Top - End - #8

RedWizardGuy

I'm only 3rd level, and I've banned evocation and illusion since I'm terrible at thinking up good illusions on the fly. How do I cast cleric spells if I'm a wizard? Am I suppose to UMD imbue spell ability?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Healing spells you usually UMD. Depending upon your Wisdom Arcane Disciple is another option (gives you access to spells from 1 cleric domain)
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    Abrupt Jaunt. Immediate action 10' teleport, usable INT per day (or was it 3+INT?) Each specialization has its own immediate action trick, they're from either the PHB2 or the complete mage.
    I just happened to be glancing over my PHB II now. Abrupt Jaunt is usable a number of times per day equal to your INT bonus.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by panaikhan View Post

Nonono, your familiar should be the thing doing the eating. Polymorph.

Trust me, with all the bonuses familiars get, the 1/2 HP is fairly negligible.