New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default (3.5) Do published modules assume you have a party of 5?

I've never run a published 3.5 module but am about to be Running Expedition to Greyhawk in two days and another player just jumped in, bumping it up to 6. I got to wondering, what is this module written for? I assume the typical group is 5 people?

It starts at level 8 and the first encounter has two CR 6 monsters and 8 CR 4.

Whatcha think?
    Last edited by Ozreth; 2010-09-24 at 04:59 AM.
    Gary Gygax: "As an author, I also realize that there are limits to my creativity and imagination. Others will think of things I didn't, and devise things beyond my capabilities".

Also Gary Gygax: "The AD&D game system does not allow the injection of extraneous material. That is clearly stated in the rule books. It is thus a simple matter: Either one plays the AD&D game, or one plays something else."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5) Do published modules assume you have a party of 5?

It depends, actually. Shackled City was designed for six players, but most other modules I've seen are designed for four. (Which means either buffing the amount of monsters and treasure by 50% (and trying to do something with the solo encounters!) or letting the PCs advance more slowly.

Most modules tell you what level and the party size is. 3.x assumes four by default, though, so if it doesn't say, you can assume four.

I have always held six to be a good number for a party (and possibly more), leading me to do a lot of option A for things like Rise of the Runelords.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2010-09-24 at 05:03 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

They are written for the standard party; 4 characters made up of a skill monkey, healer, blaster, and tank.

At least most of the earlier ones were. Towards the end of 3.5 they started being written more on the assumption that the casters were actually competently built and that the tank was making use of ToB (or other splat books that improved it's combat power).

Nothing in D&D is really balanced on the assumption of 5 people parties.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Having just played this scenario, with a group of 6, and a massive bodycount; it's safe to say that I don't think you'll need to upstat anything.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyx View Post
    Having just played this scenario, with a group of 6, and a massive bodycount; it's safe to say that I don't think you'll need to upstat anything.
    Haha awesome, thanks : ) was it fun?

And thanks for all of the other responses guys : )
    Gary Gygax: "As an author, I also realize that there are limits to my creativity and imagination. Others will think of things I didn't, and devise things beyond my capabilities".

Also Gary Gygax: "The AD&D game system does not allow the injection of extraneous material. That is clearly stated in the rule books. It is thus a simple matter: Either one plays the AD&D game, or one plays something else."