Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    fortesama's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default [3.5] antimagic field tactics and items

    I'm playing a spontaneous caster this time so i don't have the luxury of having learning too many utility spells. Previous experience with my DMs has shown that they have a tendency to start tossing AMFs large enought to cover a galleon with an unreachable object as it's origin, and very frequently they start doing that as early as 3rd level. While a tinfoil hat would be nice, i'm a level 4 sorcerer... casting as sorcerer 7 but i didn't take shrink item. at least i have nonmagical flight.

    back on topic, we know that if a DM wants to stick you in an AMF without warning or prevention, they'll find a way. with that in mind, i asking for ways i could reliably contribute to such encounters. i've got some tanglefoot bags and eggshell grenades on me. dust of choking and sneezing is a bit expensive for a level 6 character.

    Edit: Don't ask how i got that kind of cash.
    Last edited by fortesama; 2010-09-26 at 06:33 AM.
    Remembering the melancholy of human existence, even ghosts stray from the path of righteousness.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: [3.5] antimagic field tactics and items

    First thing, that comes to my mind are caltrops and marbles. Both are mundane and reusable, if you have time to pick them up. Flying will let you be out of meele range more often then not, so it might be useful to get a crossbow (it's still something). You might poison the bolts even, but poison will soon stop being effective due to low DCs. They aren't cheap as well.
    If you have nonmagical flight capabilities, then you have the comfort of staying out of the AMF in an open area. When you have an opportunity grab Shrink Item (for the Tinfoil Hat as well as bombardment - find some heavy stones before a known fight, shrink them, drop them into AMF and watch your enemies go *splat*) some instantaneous conjuration spells (various Orb of X spells or even Acid Splash might be worth it - especially if laced with some nasty metamagic as Fell Drain).
    Also: AMF is an emanation, so it doesn't hit around corners so to say. If you are within the field, then to source is within your sight. It also means, that total cover might shield you from it, but i'm not sure about that one.
    Last edited by Radar; 2010-09-26 at 07:19 AM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    fortesama's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: [3.5] antimagic field tactics and items

    marbles? i've got a collapsible pole, some cheese, some sausage, a spoon, a bottle of acid, torches, tindertwigs and other things before but no marbles.

    and i'm pretty much the only guy in the group who even bothers to get alchemical items and keep such mundane items in my bag. they usually expect the caster (almost always me) to use flashy solutions to problems while the noncasters that are not rogues simply bash stuff. and it's satisfying to see the surprise on the dm's face when i pull out a perfectly ordinary item to manage various problems without having to use magic.
    Remembering the melancholy of human existence, even ghosts stray from the path of righteousness.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: [3.5] antimagic field tactics and items

    Quote Originally Posted by fortesama View Post
    marbles? i've got a collapsible pole, some cheese, some sausage, a spoon, a bottle of acid, torches, tindertwigs and other things before but no marbles.

    and i'm pretty much the only guy in the group who even bothers to get alchemical items and keep such mundane items in my bag. they usually expect the caster (almost always me) to use flashy solutions to problems while the noncasters that are not rogues simply bash stuff. and it's satisfying to see the surprise on the dm's face when i pull out a perfectly ordinary item to manage various problems without having to use magic.
    Marbles are handy, if you want to replicate Grease with cheap, mundane item. Other then that: if it's not your ship, you are fighting on, you can create a real mess with a bottle of lantern oil (there sure are supplies of that on a ship) and a torch - it's difficult to contain the fire tough (nasty stuff happens, if you splash it with water) and 1d6 per round isn't much frankly (stupid nonmagical fire rules *mumbles*).
    With your flying advantage, you might be able to use nets efficiently and those should be easy to get.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: [3.5] antimagic field tactics and items

    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Also: AMF is an emanation, so it doesn't hit around corners so to say. If you are within the field, then to source is within your sight.
    Make sure your DM understands this. AMF is not an omnipotent sphere of no magic, it's easily avoidable by hiding behind corners, crates, barrels, or going inside a room. For your DM to be covering an entire galleon with AMF he either does not know what the spell does, or does not know just how big a galleon IS and how much STUFF it has on deck, and how many different rooms there are.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    fortesama's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: [3.5] antimagic field tactics and items

    Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Make sure your DM understands this. AMF is not an omnipotent sphere of no magic, it's easily avoidable by hiding behind corners, crates, barrels, or going inside a room. For your DM to be covering an entire galleon with AMF he either does not know what the spell does, or does not know just how big a galleon IS and how much STUFF it has on deck, and how many different rooms there are.
    which is why he did place the item that generates it out in the open... surrounded by some really tough things. when i played as a cleric of mystra, they stopped tossing those fields at me when they realized how futile it was. ditto for dead magic zones. similar thing happened when our killer DM tried to lock me inside one, not realizing my contingent extraordinary spell-aimed AMFs didn't stop my spellcasting, though i went along with the masquerade until the last minute.
    Last edited by fortesama; 2010-09-27 at 06:37 AM.
    Remembering the melancholy of human existence, even ghosts stray from the path of righteousness.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: [3.5] antimagic field tactics and items

    Your DM sounds like he is in an arms race against your casters, instead of just putting rules on spellcasting and character classes at char creation. This isn't going to end well i reckon.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] antimagic field tactics and items

    You already mentioned that you have acid, one of my favorite non-magic problem-solvers. I like the other things mentioned also...oil, poison, etc. To be honest, I think you're doing a pretty good job already.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    fortesama's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: [3.5] antimagic field tactics and items

    while we're on the topic of items, any ideas on how to save someone from aboleth mucus? we've managed to take one down due to the random number god's blessing and i harvested some of it's mucus. i don't intend to use it until i have some preventions and cures on hand lest i get hoist by my own petard at some future date due.
    Remembering the melancholy of human existence, even ghosts stray from the path of righteousness.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mt. Doom
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] antimagic field tactics and items

    Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Make sure your DM understands this. AMF is not an omnipotent sphere of no magic, it's easily avoidable by hiding behind corners, crates, barrels, or going inside a room. For your DM to be covering an entire galleon with AMF he either does not know what the spell does, or does not know just how big a galleon IS and how much STUFF it has on deck, and how many different rooms there are.
    Or is really sick of spells and spell casters.

    Sounds like a harsh solution your DM has come up with though. How bout a few ranks in Craft (traps) and make some trip wires?
    Remember no matter where you go. There you are.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    fortesama's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: [3.5] antimagic field tactics and items

    Quote Originally Posted by Grommen View Post
    Or is really sick of spells and spell casters.

    Sounds like a harsh solution your DM has come up with though. How bout a few ranks in Craft (traps) and make some trip wires?
    my sorc's a kobold actually, so craft (trap) is a permanent class skill. haven't actually used rogues or similar before so i'm a little clueless on what i could use.
    Remembering the melancholy of human existence, even ghosts stray from the path of righteousness.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: [3.5] antimagic field tactics and items

    Quote Originally Posted by fortesama View Post
    while we're on the topic of items, any ideas on how to save someone from aboleth mucus? we've managed to take one down due to the random number god's blessing and i harvested some of it's mucus. i don't intend to use it until i have some preventions and cures on hand lest i get hoist by my own petard at some future date due.
    Polymorph or similar into a warforged would probably do it since they don't breath and are explicitly mentioned as being able to do jobs like undersea salvage more cheaply than humanoids due to the lack of needing to breath in ECS or some other book. Body of war would definitely do it since a warforged juggernaut is a pure construct not a living construct, basically anything that turns you into a construct (i.e. marut or whatever) should work actually.
    Last edited by Tetrasodium; 2010-09-29 at 09:41 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] antimagic field tactics and items

    Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Your DM sounds like he is in an arms race against your casters, instead of just putting rules on spellcasting and character classes at char creation. This isn't going to end well i reckon.
    This has been my experience with such things.

    If you show them the rules, they tend to start blathering on about null-magic zones, or epic spells, or other similarly arbitrary means to basically say "no magic". And playing a caster in a zone where magic doesn't exist is really boring.

    Basically, you have a coupla options.

    1. Arms race. Fun for a while, with tricks like Initiate of Mystra, Invoke Magic and the like, but if they're willing to houserule wildly on the fly, or banhammer frequently, this is mostly an exercise in futility.

    2. Play melee. For the more vengefully inclined, a broken melee char, like a 1d2 crusader or a hulking hurler. Obviously, with a way to get an AMF.

    3. Find a better DM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    fortesama's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: [3.5] antimagic field tactics and items

    actually, these kinds of things happen when one of our DMs feels like having the player use nonmagical solutions to problems. i'm cool with that in most cases and i'm the group's thinking guy, though it gets rather jarring when they mix it up with encounters where the casters, who is almost always me, becomes dead weight. i'm mainly trying to find ways to be useful inside AMFs... or bypass that barrier entirely when the antimage DM takes the helm with some weird monsters such as the one linked below.

    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155763
    Remembering the melancholy of human existence, even ghosts stray from the path of righteousness.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •