New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Druids still get an animal companion if they take shapeshift yes?

Says they don't get an animal companion at level 1 when they take the shapeshift class ability.

So when do they get one?
    Gary Gygax: "As an author, I also realize that there are limits to my creativity and imagination. Others will think of things I didn't, and devise things beyond my capabilities".

Also Gary Gygax: "The AD&D game system does not allow the injection of extraneous material. That is clearly stated in the rule books. It is thus a simple matter: Either one plays the AD&D game, or one plays something else."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Druids still get an animal companion if they take shapeshift yes?

Whenever they take the Wild Cohort feat.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

They don't get it, ever. Animal Companion referred to here is a class feature gained at level 1, not the animal it gives.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ozreth View Post
    Says they don't get an animal companion at level 1 when they take the shapeshift class ability.

So when do they get one?
    When they reach ranger 4.

Shapeshift druid trades away both the animal companion and wildshaping.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

From an optimizer's standpoint, Shapeshift is horribly horribly "overpriced" but it helps unbreak the druid. We like unbroken Druids.