New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

cool [3.5] Dual Wielding Revolvers

Howdy, playgrounders!

Last session, my Djinni died at the hands of a pretty nasty Deep Dragon. Since the rest of the party can't afford a True Resurrection and I was getting bored playing him anyways, we decided that I should take over a certain NPC dwarf named Flintlocke (cuz he just fits the description perfectly) who is a leader of a (now severely decimated) dwarven adventuring group that explored the Underdark.

I get to stat him as I wish, and since his main weapons are a pair of magical revolvers that never run out of ammo and don't have to be reloaded, I thought of building him around that aspect.

So what I want is a badass dual wielding dwarf who kicks ass and asks questions later.

Since there's not much stuff (or better yet any stuff) for revolvers, modifying crossbow feats might be appropriate.

I rolled these rolls, and get to pick the one I like most. So any suggestions on that are welcome too.
    Roll 1: 11, 13, 16, 18, 11, 11
    Roll 2: 15, 15, 10, 15, 13, 8

Starting at level 9, and looking to do some serious damage with these two babies (meaning pretty optimized, but not going for the extreme cheesiness).

Any suggestions or builds are welcome. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by PrGo; 2010-09-26 at 06:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: [3.5] Dual Wielding Revolvers

You could play a blasty warlock, fluffing all of his blast invocations as pistol shots?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Project_Mayhem View Post
    You could play a blasty warlock, fluffing all of his blast invocations as pistol shots?
    That's not really what I'm looking for. Since I'll take the cost for those guns out of my starting wealth, I'm looking to have as much attacks as possible with bestest damage possible with them.
    Last edited by PrGo; 2010-09-26 at 05:54 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Swift Hunter seems appropriate here. Scout/Ranger with a level of Monk who's used a Sparring Dummy of the Master, maybe? That'd be pretty decent, if fairly unoptimized.

Knowing the level we're shooting for and the optimization level might be helpful, by the by.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Knowing the level we're shooting for and the optimization level might be helpful, by the by.
    Riiiiiight, sorry. Edited the first post

6. - Top - End - #6

Goblin

Oh right, you already have the guns - I thought we were trying to model them. In that case I'd second Swift hunter if it weren't that I kind of see a gunfighter as predominantly staying still? Dunno

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Project_Mayhem View Post
    Oh right, you already have the guns - I thought we were trying to model them. In that case I'd second Swift hunter if it weren't that I kind of see a gunfighter as predominantly staying still? Dunno
    Yeah, skirmish isn't an option too. He'd look cooler standing on the ground being immovable and shooting everything in sight
    Also I mentioned already wanting as much attacks as possible, and that just doesn't work with skirmish since I can't skirmish and full attack.
    Or... can I?

8. - Top - End - #8

Goblin

theres ways of getting 10 foot steps as a free action - that could be fluffed as some kind of badass flash step - like *swish BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM*

9. - Top - End - #9

Stats for the revolvers?
    Books available?

Crossbow Sniper (PHBII) seems like a very useful feat if the GM will allow it with guns.

10. - Top - End - #10

SwashbucklerGuy

Are you against using homebrew materials? Guns don't have much love within DnD but homebrew has plenty of options - from entire base classes and prestige classes to homebrewed ToB disciplines to feats to even stats of guns.

So if you really want to optimize you should look into the homebrews.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

One of the best crossbow-specific feats is Crossbow Sniper from the PHBII. It gives you a bonus on damage rolls equal to 1/2 your Dexterity bonus, and doubles the range at which you can sneak attack. So you might want to combine that with sneak attack.

You're gonna want Rapid Reload to load the guns in combat, TWF to be able to wield both with minimal penalties, and Weapon Focus to qualify for Crossbow Sniper... so that's 4 feats right there if you choose that build. A human or fighter level could also get Improved TWF in by level 9.

From there you could take feats like Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, and Greater TWF. You can also fit those in earlier with more fighter levels, relying on magic weapon properties instead of sneak attack for damage.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

A Swift Hunter with a 10' step (or Cloistered Cleric+Travel Devotion) gets you everything except the implacable, stand-your-ground feel, so it depends how much you value that.

Actually, your description makes me think of a dual-wand wielding artificer. Fluff the wands as magical guns, get multiple attacks via Twin Spell/Split Ray, Dual Wand Wielder (not sure that's the name), and Quicken Spell.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

In my gaming group, we always had a unspoken ban of the homebrew stuff, so that's not an option. Thanks anyways.

I've just checked the Sparring Dummy item and it seems pretty nice. I'd have only 6k gold left to buy my guns with. Unless it's not consumed after use (which wouldn't make sense) then I might sell it for 15k gold. Opinions?

Rapid reload isn't needed since the weapon's magic keeps it loaded at all times.
    Also Crossbow sniper would do nice if I combine it with skirmish.

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    A Swift Hunter with a 10' step (or Cloistered Cleric+Travel Devotion) gets you everything except the implacable, stand-your-ground feel, so it depends how much you value that.

Actually, your description makes me think of a dual-wand wielding artificer. Fluff the wands as magical guns, get multiple attacks via Twin Spell/Split Ray, Dual Wand Wielder (not sure that's the name), and Quicken Spell.
    Yeah after weighing my options, I decided to go with Skirmish. Dual wielding wands is awesome, but I'm just not into counting charges and crafting items.

Guess it's Swift Hunter for me.
    Last edited by PrGo; 2010-09-26 at 06:23 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Goblin

I might nick this actually :p.

I like the idea of a trench coated gunfighter suddenly blurring and reappearing to your side before unloading a full clip ...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Did somebody say Black Rain? *Cue Awesome Guitar Solo*

Seriously, if you are a Gunslinger, you must utilize the Black Rain Disciple.*

*This assertion is null and void if you DM does not allow ToB or Homebrew.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tael View Post
    Did somebody say Black Rain? *Cue Awesome Guitar Solo*

Seriously, if you are a Gunslinger, you must utilize the Black Rain Disciple.*

*This assertion is null and void if you DM does not allow ToB or Homebrew.
    Sweet mother of all that is awesome. I'm gonna hit my DM with every one of my books (and I have a lot) if he doesn't let me take those maneuvers.
    Thanks a million, mate

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll second the vote on Swift Hunter + a 1-level dip of Cleric with Travel Devotion. Pick Undeath as one of your cleric domains, Travel as the other, so you get 4 extra turn attempts. For flavor, and utility, pick undead as your fist favored enemy with ranger, and use that in-depth study of killing undead as the justification for picking the Undeath domain.

This way you get to use the Travel Devotion feat to move as a swift action, then full attack. Two Weapon Fighting works with ranged, so if you can get your DM to rule that Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting work with ranged as well, you can get those for free with your Ranger levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

What are the stats for these revolvers?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    For flavor, and utility, pick undead as your fist favored enemy with ranger, and use that in-depth study of killing undead as the justification for picking the Undeath domain.
    This is a very good idea, since you will also be able to deal skirmish damage to undead.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    What are the stats for these revolvers?
    Dunno yet, was just scrolling through MiC and couldn't find something that I like. I'll try again in the morning. Anyways, I have 36k gold to spend on them and additional starting gear, so if you have any advice, it would be appreciated

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

D20 modern has a lot of gun feats to grab up so you might want to look into that. If you want a real gun list that has actual stat differences to the different guns you could be using look in Call of Ctuchlhu 5.6 handbook you would just have to convert the ranges into feet not yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
    the PC's stereotypical goal of killing everything in sight and stealing everything that isn't both nailed down and on fire.
    LOL

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

There's a fair amount of homebrew based around guns. The entire Draw, Partner! contest, for example, as well as the excellent Black Rain martial discipline. I highly recommend this material.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd actually suggest using the Gun Mage (See Iron Kingdoms Character Guide) and Swiftblade (see WotC website). Nearly full Gun Mage casting, nearly full BAB, perhaps dabble into Abjurant Champion, and really you get yourself one bad muther $#%#%@. Best part is that swiftblade like scout rewards you for moving, so you'll get skirmish from that.

EDIT: I'd second DW's mention of the Draw, Partner! contest as well.

-X
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2010-09-26 at 10:02 PM.
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

This is more of a concept suggestion, but maybe you can find a way to cast spells into your bullets so they affect your targets on impact, similar to a Spellwarp Sniper.

A friend of mine played a gunslinging wizard/techsmith for one session, and the DM gave her a special pair of pistols to do just that. In effect, she Charmed a kobold by shooting him in the butt.

You would have to talk to your DM about how to make it work mechanically, but it could be fun.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PrGo View Post
    Dunno yet, was just scrolling through MiC and couldn't find something that I like. I'll try again in the morning. Anyways, I have 36k gold to spend on them and additional starting gear, so if you have any advice, it would be appreciated
    Quick Loading is for crossbows, but it should work for guns too. A nondimensional space that stores up to 100 bolts.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PrGo View Post
    I just use crossbows with 20/x3 crit rates.

It doesn't really make sense for guns to be exotic weapons, since the main advantage when they were introduced was that they took far less training than a bow.

27. - Top - End - #27

There's a pistol on page 145 in the DMG.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iku Rex View Post
    There's a pistol on page 145 in the DMG.
    That page also has a katana and an antimatter rifle.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    That page also has a katana and an antimatter rifle.
    Antimatter rifles have always been the traditional counter to high level tier 1 casters :P

Also

Step 1: Buy Iron Kingdoms campaign setting book
    Step 2: Marvel in all the steampunky goodness that will help your character
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FelixG View Post
    Step 1: Buy Iron Kingdoms campaign setting book
    Step 2: Marvel in all the steampunky goodness that will help gimp your character
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!
    FTFY.
    Ironm Kingdoms is awesome, but rules-wise, everything in there is very weak.