New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Melee fighter taking advantage of speed

Our group includes a Fighter 4 who wants to build a fast fighter type. She would like to stay in armor that doesn't restrict her movement speed or her dex bonus. Her dex isn't great but it isn't awful (14 I think)? She definitely wants to be in melee but also definitely wants to retain her movement. Her primary weapon is a scythe.

So here's my challenge for you - what dips, feats, and/or level-appropriate magic items would you recommend for her to best take advantage of the style she seems to prefer? She wants to be mobile rather than straight tank-ish.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Melee fighter taking advantage of speed

xeph psychic warrior with the feat which allows extra attacks from Comp Psi this will allow her to boost her speed with the xeph move around with powers and throw down alot of attacks and keep moving
    Check out my horrible homebrews

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Assuming this is in play already, I'd suggest Boots of striding and Springing as a starting point. If she's not too late to change class, a reclass to scout would be a good idea, they're built to be mobile like you describe.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Travel devotion or spirit lion barbarian.
    Possible:Animal devotion as well(works with either of the above choices).
    Last edited by The Shadowmind; 2010-09-27 at 05:58 PM.
    I am:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

What sort of armor? Full plate? Aside from that, the standard answer would be to take something like a few levels in warblade or lion totem barbarian, which have both stuff to make a melee person run faster, kill stuff with more strength, pouncing to full-attack after walking around, or stuff that grants extra movement and a special attack, and the old and trusted shock-trooper-leaping attack-feat combo as ubercharger.

And if walking around in full-plate, then mithral is always good.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

No changing classes or pisonics allowed. I figured to get the totem barbarian for grab, but we'd like to either get her a way to hit and get out of retaliation range or get better AC.

Edit: player absolutely refuses to wear anything heavier than breastplate. And frankly none of us have the gold at this point for mithral.
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2010-09-27 at 05:59 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Swordsage is my go-to class for this kind of thing, but if the ToB isn't on your table (or this particular player doesn't like it, or the character is a no-wis type), there's always the good old Dervish. Neither should require a rebuild, especially not the Swordsage.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    No changing classes or pisonics allowed. I figured to get the totem barbarian for grab, but we'd like to either get her a way to hit and get out of retaliation range or get better AC.

Edit: player absolutely refuses to wear anything heavier than breastplate. And frankly none of us have the gold at this point for mithral.
    the only way i can think of at the present moment is either spring attack or get a pair of anklets of relocation or whatever they are called. the ones that allow you to have a 10 foot teleport (i think as an immediate action) 3 times a day?

also, why would she want to hit and run? she wont be able to use her extra attacks then
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Dip Cleric for Travel Devotion (Complete Champion).

Unless by "No changing classes" you mean "No Multiclassing" in addition to no Retraining (PH2).

The problems with this strategy is that the Core classes are not made for it (save for Paladins, Rangers, and Druids, no class can get a Move+Full Attack off without Pounce).

And by Lion Totem, he means Complete Champion version (not Unearthed Arcana/SRD). CC version gives Pounce for Full Attacks after a charge.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    there's always the good old Dervish.
    Seconded. Will cost 4 feats to qualify, but fits the need perfectly

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

If multiclassing, perhaps a swiftblade will provide the character with what they want.
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

No retraining is what I mean. To be honest the player is a bit too much of a "rp over optimization" for our group. Not that the rest of us don't roleplay or take the occasional flavor feat, but...well it ends up putting her below the power level of the rest of the group. So a couple of us took it upon ourselves to figure out how to build this character.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Dodge (preferably Desert Wind Dodge, or if your group allows Monte Cook's Book of Experimental Might, Defensive Moves) > Mobility > Spring Attack > Bounding Assault > Rapid Blitz. Maybe Evasive Reflexes and/or Elusive Target. There's a PrC somewhere that gives accelerated Skirmish, which could also help.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2010-09-27 at 06:09 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

No retraining is what I mean. To be honest the player is a bit too much of a "rp over optimization" for our group. Not that the rest of us don't roleplay or take the occasional flavor feat, but...well it ends up putting her below the power level of the rest of the group. So a couple of us took it upon ourselves to figure out how to build this character.
    Fighter 4/Swordsage 16 will get the job done then. As long as this player sticks with Desert Wind, it will fit the flavor she is going for.

If Swordsage isn't an option, Dervish.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chipp Zanuff View Post
    Fighter 4/Swordsage 16 will get the job done then. As long as this player sticks with Desert Wind, it will fit the flavor she is going for.

If Swordsage isn't an option, Dervish.
    Pretty much this. Fighter 4 is a fine cut-off point for a Dervish (gets you Melee Weapon Mastery) & you only need 1-2 more levels (something that grants feats probably) to enter, and then you can just go all the way. And Swordsage does the same, better, if allowed.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I would suggest two things from ToM:

Tooth of Savnok (item) - unslotted item allows you to ignore movement restrictions from armor.

Binder (3 or 4) dip - with the Improved Binding feat, you can bind Paimon, who gives some great abilities for a mobile melee type: +4 untyped bonus to DEX, Dance of Death 1/5 rounds (attack every creature you pass in a move action)...plus some other things like bonuses to Tumble and Whirlwind Attack.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Take one level of barbarian: rage is great ability and you gain fast movement.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

More of a long term solution: Swiftblade.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Then she's stuck with a chainshirt until she can pay up a mithral breastplate, which is the heaviest armor she'll ever use before magic.
    Travel Devotion is a feat she simply must take. Since she'll be on light armor all the time, Dervish is a good class to take. I am at a loss on magic items he could use.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

She could dip Totemist 2 for the Blink Shirt.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    She could dip Totemist 2 for the Blink Shirt.
    Blink shirt's power relies on a high shaper level. With a dip like that you're stuck with a 10' standard action teleport, which doesn't really help the case.

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    Blink shirt's power relies on a high shaper level. With a dip like that you're stuck with a 10' standard action teleport, which doesn't really help the case.
    No, if she binds it to her totem chakra it's a move action teleport, per page 61 of Magic of Incarnum, currently in my hand. If this was errata'd, please link.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I would suggest two things from ToM:

Tooth of Savnok (item) - unslotted item allows you to ignore movement restrictions from armor.

Binder (3 or 4) dip - with the Improved Binding feat, you can bind Paimon, who gives some great abilities for a mobile melee type: +4 untyped bonus to DEX, Dance of Death 1/5 rounds (attack every creature you pass in a move action)...plus some other things like bonuses to Tumble and Whirlwind Attack.
    Seconded

No, if she binds it to her totem chakra it's a move action teleport, per page 61 of Magic of Incarnum, currently in my hand. If this was errata'd, please link.
    Still rather slow
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

I thought it was the heart bind?
    Regardless, you're still limited by your essentia in how far you can blink, which is still bad as a totemist 2, where you are stuck teleporting 30' as a move action. 2 levels into a separate class just to replace the normal "30' move" with "30' teleport" is kind of a waste, given there are better options out there.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    It's 10' per point of Essentia invested, and binding it to totem chakra, as noted, makes it a move action (though you still can't take other actions after using it).
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    It's 10' per point of Essentia invested, and binding it to totem chakra, as noted, makes it a move action (though you still can't take other actions after using it).
    Yeah, which I corrected in my second post and still makes for a subpar movement alternative if you aren't actually investing in the class. Travel devotion alone surpasses "totemist 2 with bound blink shirt" by far because it lets you move your speed (which will always be at least 30' for a character worried about speed) as a swift action for 10 rounds. And it doesn't break your class composition.

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Exactly. Fax suggested Desert Wind Dodge; using Midnight Dodge instead would get another point of Essentia, for instance, and you'd have 2 points just from the 2 level dip. Remember also that a 2 level dip into Totemist gets you 3 Soulmelds. By way of example, those other two Soulmelds could be a Brass Mane for +4 Intimidate, and a Krenshar Mask for +4 on Jump and Move Silently. Those aren't the only options, of course. Add in the 'free' +3 FORT and +3 REF from the dip, and it's a pretty decent deal.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

I see most of the good advice has been given. You may wish to peruse the Pounce and Free Movement thread. If she doesn't want to retrain, I would say that her best option would be Fighter 4/Cleric 1/Warmind 10. Cleric for access to Travel Devotion, Warmind for access to Hustle, Psionic Lion's Pounce, and Psionic Dimension Door.

Alternatively, she could just ride a mount. Even something cheap like a normal warhorse or a figurine of wondrous power (Sandstorm) would drastically improve mobility without having to invest any feats or class levels.

But as others have opined, the best solution would be retraining, or suicide to get another character. Swordsage, Binder, Totemist, Paladin, and Cleric are all much more mobile options.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Exactly. Fax suggested Desert Wind Dodge; using Midnight Dodge instead would get another point of Essentia, for instance, and you'd have 2 points just from the 2 level dip. Remember also that a 2 level dip into Totemist gets you 3 Soulmelds. By way of example, those other two Soulmelds could be a Brass Mane for +4 Intimidate, and a Krenshar Mask for +4 on Jump and Move Silently. Those aren't the only options, of course. Add in the 'free' +3 FORT and +3 REF from the dip, and it's a pretty decent deal.
    You still are limited to putting only two essentia in I believe.
    Last edited by Demons_eye; 2010-09-28 at 09:12 AM.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Demons_eye View Post
    You still are limited to putting only two essentia in I believe.
    And most of the other gains can be given by other classes / class features, which is why I'm putting a totemist dip in check like that.