New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default ways to fight without seeing? [3.5]

Are there any feats that let you? I get them mixed up. There's blindsense, or is it blindsight? That let's you reroll miss chance. I'm not talking about that one. Scent doesn't let you fight without seeing does it? What about tremorsense, is there a feat for it? This is for PC races...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: ways to fight without seeing? [3.5]

Blind-Fight is a feat that allows you to reroll your miss chance, and also prevents you from being flat-footed vs invisible creatures. It still doesn't allow you to actually spot them.

Blindsense is a racial ability that many creatures have, but in core, dragons have it. It allows you to pinpoint invisible creatures within a limited radius without having to make spot checks, but you need line of effect to the creature. It does not negate miss chance and does not prevent Dex denial. The 5th level ToB stance "Hearing the Air" provides Blindsense.

Blindsight is mostly the same as regular vision, and is usually found on creatures that are actually blind. A creature with blindsight can detect creatures as if it can see them, and needs line of effect to the target.
    There are sometimes certain ways to disable blindsight, though; the Canoloth, for example, can lose its blindsight if its sense of smell is overpowered (ie, Cloudkill or Stinking Cloud) and its hearing is cancelled (Silence spell).

Tremorsense requires contact with the ground, or in the case of spiders, their web. I do vaguely remember a way to get Tremorsense, though.

Scent simply allows you to detect creatures within 30 feet even if you can't see them. The range doubles for creatures upwind, and is halved for creatures downwind. You can't pinpoint them until you're within 5 ft. of them, though, so while you can follow a creature you can smell, you can't attack until you're within 5 ft.
    The first level ToB stance "Hunter's Sense" grants scent.
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2010-09-30 at 12:01 AM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

blindfold of true darkness... its a magic item that makes it so you loose all sight, but gain blindsight out 30' and are immune to gaze attacks... goes really well with an ring of deeper darkness.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

As an added point, if you're Changeling with telepathy (Mindbender dip for that) or a monster with the same, Lords of Madness has the Mindsight feat which allows you to pinpoint every creature within 100 feet that has an INT score and receive information on their INT score, type, and size. Depending on how you read the feat this may or may not negate miss chances in combat, but for even primitive scry-and-die tactics it's utterly broken, especially around the 5-8 character levels. I say that because one of my players has it in a RHOD campaign, and with some judicious use it basically turned the party into Rainbow Six at Rhest.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

you also have the werebat from Faerun that has echolocation

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

If you really want to go with a blind character, a summoning-focused character can be great, especially in combination with telepathy (see above).
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a feat for gaining blindsense, but I think the range is only like 5 or 10 feet, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Telepathy+ Mindsight feat.

You can sense everything that thinks within your telepathy radius, and can tell its Int scores as well.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    As an added point, if you're Changeling with telepathy (Mindbender dip for that) or a monster with the same, Lords of Madness has the Mindsight feat which allows you to pinpoint every creature within 100 feet that has an INT score and receive information on their INT score, type, and size. Depending on how you read the feat this may or may not negate miss chances in combat, but for even primitive scry-and-die tactics it's utterly broken, especially around the 5-8 character levels. I say that because one of my players has it in a RHOD campaign, and with some judicious use it basically turned the party into Rainbow Six at Rhest.
    While I wholeheartedly endorse this method, the feat is very specific that the target still has total concealment, thus they do have a 50% miss chance. You get the square, but not the ability to see them.

And of course, you can still walk right into the lair of heavily armed flaming golems and zombies without any warning at all... which is a significant problem, or none at all, depending on whether or not you are alone, and your DM's predilection for non-intelligent creatures.
    Last edited by Tyger; 2010-09-30 at 12:56 PM. Reason: clarification
    Thanks The Neoclassic for my avatar!

Stark Raving Dad - a blog about life.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theos911 View Post
    Fighter: I can kill a guy in one turn.
    Cleric: I can kill a guy in half a turn.
    Wizard: I can kill a guy before my turn!
    Bard: I can get 12 idiots to go kill guys for me
    Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Oh, and Person-Man's real name is a little something called "SKYNET"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    There's a feat for gaining blindsense, but I think the range is only like 5 or 10 feet, IIRC.
    Races of Stone offers tremorsense.
    Magic of Incarnum offers blindsense.
    Implanted psicrystals share their telepathic vision and telepathic hearing with their master.