New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Critters II!

1. - Top - End - #841
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Critters II!

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    oh crap...sorry it was 11:30 when I made this XD

EDIT: okay, fixed, so other than the fixes, how do ye like it and are ye willing to see more super animal minions?
    I'd like that. Animal superminions are cool. This could help give you ideas.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ogre in the Playground

already was Im taking what it gives me and slightly changing it
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

Derivative Bear updated. Any thoughts?
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ogre in the Playground

well I like it :)
    on other news however, I havent gotten any good ideas for animal minions, so im going to go back to half templates, because thats what im best at :) expect one soon
    iiin faaact....

Half unicorn
    Lonely ranger/druid+unicorn+access to polymorph spells=you

Creating a half unicorn
    Half unicorn may be added to any living creature that is not an elemental, plant, or ooze.
    Size/Type: animals and vermin become magical beasts, and humanoids become monstrous humanoids. Size stays the same
    Speed: add +10 to the base creatures speed
    Armor class: add +3 natural armor
    Attacks: add a little horn attack doing 1d6 damage for a medium sized creature
    Special qualities: keep those of the base creature and add the following abilities:
    Spell like abilities (caster level=HD)
    3/day--magic circle against evil, detect evil 1/day--cure light wounds.
    Saving throws are charisma based
    +4 on saves Vs. poison, charming, and compulsion
    lowlight vision
    darkvision 30ft.
    scent
    Saves: recalculate for new type
    Abilities: +4 Dex +2 Con +4 Wis +4 Cha
    Skills: +2 on move silently checks, and +2 on survival checks in the forest
    CR: +3?
    LA: +4?
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-03-30 at 04:00 AM.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey :) dont want this thread to die, so I have another template
    Dretch
    You were cursed by the horrible demon princes of the abyss, and now walk the underworld as a dretch
    Creating a dretch
    Dretch is an aquired template that can be added to any living creature other than an elemental, ooze, or plant
    Size/Type: Reduce size by one catagory, and change type to outsider (evil, chaotic, extraplanar)
    Hit dice: Lose any class hit dice, and add 1 to any racial hit dice
    Speed: due to your extra fat and flab, reduce by 10ft.
    Armor Class: adjust due to size, and +5 natural armor
    Attacks: gain 2 claw attacks (1d4 damage for small sized) and a bite (1d6 damage for small sized)
    Special attacks: keep those of the base creature and gain the following
    Spell like abilities (Sp)
    1/day scare (DC 12), stinking cloud (DC 13), the save DCs are charisma based
    Summon demon (Sp)
    Once per day a dretch can attempt to summon another dretch of the same type with a 35% chance of success. This ability is the equivalent of a 1st-level spell.
    Special qualities: keep those of the base creature and gain the following
    Telepathy (Su)
    Dretches can communicate telepathically with creatures within 100 feet that speak Abyssal.
    Damage reduction 5/cold iron or good
    Darkvision 60ft.
    immunity to electricity and poison
    resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10
    Abilities: Str +2 Con +4 Int -6
    Environment: a chaotic evil aligned plane
    CR: +2
    LA: +2

Adding this to a human commoner makes a Dretch

A note on dretch progression and evolution
    Spoiler
    Show
    Particularly intelligent or vile dretches may get a promotion from a demon prince, usually up to rutterkin, then maybe a succubus if they do well enough, and they just keep progressing. This is very rare however because a dretch like that has to be very special. Rumor has it that Orcus actually started as a dretch (or manes depending on what your using )
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-04-02 at 09:24 PM.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

The thread isn't dying trust in kitteh. I just have a lot of distractions these days.
    Orcs and Goblins

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

Blindheim
    Small Monstrous Humanoid
    Hit Dice: 4d8+4 (22 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), Swim 20 ft.
    Armor Class: 13 (+1 Size, +1 Dex, +1 Natural), touch 12, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/-1
    Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6)
    Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Blinding Stare, Improved Grab, Swallow Whole
    Special Qualities: Blindsight 30', Immunity to Glare, Poison Resistant, Amphibious
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 10, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 8
    Skills: Hide +7, Listen +5, Spot +4
    Feats: Ability Focus (Blinding Stare), Alertness
    Environment: Underground
    Organization: Solitary, Group (3-6) or Horde (50-500)
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually Chaotic Evil
    Advancement: By Character Class
    Level Adjustment: +1

Blindheim are short semi-humanoid froglike entities with huge staring eyes. It skin and eye color are varying shades of yellow, and a second eyelid allows it to turn it's Blinding Stare on or off at will. It's stubby hands and feet are webbed and end in short claws. It feeds on poisonous fungi and supplements this diet with small vermin it catches via it;s Blinding Stare.

Blinding Stare (Su): Blinds opponent for 1d10+10 rounds, 30', DC 16 Negates (Save DC is Con Based). Opponents with Light Blindness or Light Sensitivity are -2 on their Save, and take normal penalties for being in bright light while within 30' of the Blindheim. The Blindheim may activate or suppress this Gaze as a Free Action.

Improved Grab (Ex): If the Blindheim successfully bites an opponent at least 1 Size Class smaller than itself, it may immediately make a Grapple Check as a Free Action without provoking an Attack of Opportunity.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A Blindheim can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of up to one size smaller by making a successful grapple check. The swallowed creature takes 1d4 points of bludgeoning damage and 1 point of acid damage per round from the Blindheim's gizzard. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 3 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 10). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

A Small Blindheim's gizzard can hold 1 Tiny, 4 Diminutive or 8 Fine opponents.

Immunity to Glare (Ex): Blindheim cannot be Dazzle or Blinded by attacks based on light, including reflections of their own Gaze Attack.

Poison Resistant (Ex): Blindheim's receive a +6 Racial Bonus on Saving Throws against Ingested Poisons.

Combat: Blindheim set quietly awaiting for opponents to come in range before blinding them and attacking.

ADVANCED BLINDHEIM

"Croak..."

Occasionally an advanced tribe of Blindheim is encountered. While normally the Blindheim are relatively on par with chimps their advanced cousins are in the late stone age. Whatever has given them their intelligence has also sparked odd mutations as their leaders often have unusual powers.

BECOMING AN ADVANCED BLINDHEIM
    Just being a Blindheim gets you in.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Race: Blindheim

Class Skills
    The Advanced Blindheim's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Survival (Wis).
    Skills Points at Each Level : 4 + int

Hit Dice: d8

Code:
       BAB  Fort    Ref    Will  Abilities
    1. +1    +0     +0     +2    Awakening
    2. +2    +0     +0     +3    Mutation
    3. +3    +1     +1     +3    Rainbow Pattern
    Weapon Proficiencies: An Advanced Blindheim gains proficiency with Dagger, Club, Shortspear, Dart, Javelin, and Sling.

Awakening (Ex): The Advanced Blindheim is no longer an animal and gains a permanent +4 increase to it's Intelligence score. Most Blindheim become tribal warriors and never advance any further in this class than this.

Mutation (Su): 1 in 10 Blindheim are mutations with differing gaze attacks. They usually become the leaders of their tribes and choose from one of the following (Caster Level for effects that mimic spells is equal to Hit Dice):

Amber Eyes: Instead of the usual effect your Gaze Attack Slows your opponent as per the spell.

Blue Eyes: Instead of the usual effect your Gaze Attack outlines you opponents in Faerie Fire, as per the spell. Unlike normally the shine brightly enough that creatures in adjacent squares that have Light Blindness or Light Sensitivity suffer their normal penalties until they move out of range.

Gold Eyes: Instead of the usual effect your Gaze Attack you may cast Lesser Fire Orb every 1d4 rounds.

White Eyes: Instead of the usual effect your Gaze Attack you may cast Sun Bolt every 1d4 rounds.

Rainbow Pattern (Su): 1 in 100 Blindheim mutate further and end up leaders of savage hordes of their kind. In addition to their normal Gaze Attack they may also opt to use a different effect and opponents failing their save are affected as if by a Rainbow Pattern spell. Switching effects is a Swift Action and can be done once per round.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2013-04-29 at 11:03 PM.
    Orcs and Goblins

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay the thread isnt
    Dead!

An8ybody like myndretch?
    Typped on tablet, sorry for any misspellings

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

Since demons are made from souls it's a neat idea.
    Orcs and Goblins

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm thinking about making templates that can be added to dretches to make various other demons (because the demon lords "promote" the dretch if its vile, evil, or smart enough to be considered a vrock, hezrou, succubus etc)

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

ive always wanted to play one of these, sooo...

Blindheim

"ribbit...?"

Blindheim are short semi-humanoid froglike entities with huge staring eyes. It skin and eye color are varying shades of yellow, and a second eyelid allows it to turn it's Blinding Stare on or off at will. It's stubby hands and feet are webbed and end in short claws.

BLINDHEIM RACIAL TRAITS
    · +2 Dex, +2 Con, -4 Int (minimum 3), -2 Cha
    · Size Class: Small. +1 Size Bonus to Armor Class and Attack Rolls. +4 Size Bonus to Hide Checks. -4 Size Penalty to Bull Rush, Grapple, Overrun, and Trip Checks. Lifting and Carrying Limits are half those of a Medium character.
    · Type: Monstrous Humanoid, giving them 60 ft. Darkvision
    · Base land speed 20 ft.
    · Base swim speed 20 ft.
    · +1 Natural Armor Bonus
    · Blinding Stare (Su): Blinds opponent for 1d10+10 rounds, 30', DC 16 Negates (Save DC is Con Based). Opponents with Light Blindness or Light Sensitivity are -2 on their Save, and take normal penalties for being in bright light while within 30' of the Blindheim. The Blindheim may activate or suppress this Gaze as a Free Action.
    · Improved Grab (Ex): If the Blindheim successfully bites an opponent at least 1 Size Class smaller than itself, it may immediately make a Grapple Check as a Free Action without provoking an Attack of Opportunity.
    · Swallow Whole (Ex): A Blindheim can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of up to one size smaller by making a successful grapple check. The swallowed creature takes 1d4 points of bludgeoning damage and 1 point of acid damage per round from the Blindheim's gizzard. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 3 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 10). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

A Small Blindheim's gizzard can hold 1 Tiny, 4 Diminutive or 8 Fine opponents.
    · Immunity to Glare (Ex): Blindheim cannot be Dazzle or Blinded by attacks based on light, including reflections of their own Gaze Attack.
    · Poison Resistant (Ex): Blindheim's receive a +6 Racial Bonus on Saving Throws against Ingested Poisons.
    · Blindheim have a Primary Bite attack doing 1d6 plus Strength Bonus. They are proficient with Dagger, Club, Shortspear, Dart, Javelin, and Sling.
    · A Blindheim has 4 Racial Hit Dice, giving it the following: 4d8 Hit Points, +4 base Attack Bonus, +2 Fort Save, +6 Ref Save, +6 Will Save, and (2 + Int modifier) skill points per level (with times 4 skill points for the first level). Class skills are Climb, Craft, Hide, Intimidate, Listen, Spot, Swim, and Survival. They also get 2 Feats.
    · Automatic and Bonus Languages: Blindheim automatically speak Blindheim. Bonus languages: Common or any close by race.
    · Level Adjustment : +1
    · Favored Class: Barbarian

STARTING AGE
    Adulthood: 14
    Barbarian, Rogue, Sorcerer: +1d4
    Bard, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger: +1d6
    Cleric, Druid, Monk, Wizard: +2d6

AGING EFFECTS
    Middle Age: 30
    Old: 45
    Venerable: 60
    Maximum Age: +2d10 years

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
    Base Height: 3'6"
    Height Modifier: +2d4"
    Base Weight: 45 lbs.
    Weight Modifier: x1 lb.

BLINDHEIM CHARACTERS
    With their Dex and Con Bonuses the Blindheim make decent Wisdom based casters, though few progress far in such roles. Most become primitive hunters, and never rise above that station.
    Adventuring Race: The Blindheim are odd. They don't feel the need for fame or glory, and have no use for money which separates them from most races. Some very few may decide to go on an adventure for revenge, but most would never dream of leaving their tribe. However if forcibly separated by disaster, they may adopt other beings as a means of staying safe by numbers (though gaining ones trust would be difficult).
    Character Development: Given their Int penalty, most Blindheim will never see the roll of the party skill monkey. They do make adequate Small size melee fighters or Druids.
    Character Names: The Blindheim have simple monosyllabic grunts as names. They don't seem to vary with gender.

ROLEPLAYING A BLINDHEIM
    Blindheim are a truly alien race. They mostly seem motivated by food or safety like most primitives, but every so often they display behavior that flies in the face of reason, or that is obviously detrimental to their own survival. Those who claim they may somehow be related to the Slaadi claim this is the influence of their Chaotic nature.
    Personality: The Blindheim seemingly have no personality. They simply sit and stare at the world unblinkingly with their huge eyes wondering whether you are a threat or food. Most humanoid characteristics such as empathy seem to have been left undeveloped among them.
    Behaviors: Blindheim are much like any other stone age hunting culture with one curious problem: much like their more primitive fellows, every now and then they form massive ravening hordes and depopulate an area of life. The environmental or other trigger that causes this temporary anomaly is not known, nor is it known what brings them back to normal. Even the majority of the Blindheim appear not to know.
    Language: The Blindheim have a rudimentary croaking language with no written alphabet. It is fairly crude and simple, and few learn any more complex languages, even Common. Some also communicate with sign language or light flashes.

BLINDHEIM SOCIETY
    Blindheim are primitive hunter-gatherers. They subsist on small prey and whatever fungi they can find growing in the dark, and the largest most powerful among them is their leader. Their leaders normally have odd supernatural powers, but what causes this mutation is unkown (though the weird toxic mushrooms they eat and rumors of the Slaadi are common blames).
    Alignment : Most Blindheim are Chaotic Evil, as individuals who aren't quickly leave the tribe if they want to survive. The Blindheim respect only power. They are not sentimental, and do not experience pain or emotion in the manner most humanoids would understand.
    Lands : Blindheim live in the Underdark near pools and lakes.
    Settlements : Blindheim will not leave the Underdark as it robs them of the darkness they need to use their main weapon, their blinding gaze. They require damp places as well so they will never be found far from water.
    Beliefs : Blindheim usually worship the Slaadi who may somehow be connected to their race, either as progenitors, patrons, or it's even rumored that they're distant relatives. That the Blindheim are somehow low Slaadi adapted to the Prime Material and descended into barbarism because of it. Honestly though the rumors seem unlikely.
    Relations: Blindheim see the world in terms of food and threats. Anything that isn't too powerful to be killed is eaten. Anything that can't be eaten is ran from.

BLINDHEIM ADVENTURES
    · You awaken to find the tribe missing. Waking up around you are equally confused outsiders of races you have never seen before, and you all appear to be trapped in some sort of room. You may need to work with them to find your way out. You may also need to eat them if there is no jailor willing to bring food.
    · The tribes leader has become addicted to some sort of hallucinogenic mushroom. No one will go against him because of his power, but you have heard rumors of an outcast shaman who may have a cure.
    · Humans have begun showing up. Humans bearing gifts of food and weapons. The tribe is willing to take all they can get but you have suspicions. You have decided to follow them at night to see what they are up to.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2013-04-29 at 11:25 PM.
    Orcs and Goblins

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

blindheim done and ready for review
    Orcs and Goblins

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

Adherer
    Medium Plant
    Hit Dice: 4d8 (18 hp)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 17 (+7 Natural), touch 10, flat-footed 17
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+9
    Attack: Slam +3 melee (1d3)
    Full Attack: 2 Slams +3 melee (1d3)
    Special Attacks: Adhesion
    Special Qualities: DR 10/Piercing and Melee (i.e. it has DR 10 against all ranged attacks), Fire Vulnerability, Immunities, Spider Affinity, Plant traits, Camouflage
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 10, Dex 10, Con 11, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 4
    Skills: Hide +5, Listen +2, Move Silently +4, Spot +2
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Stealthy
    Environment: Temperate Forest
    Organization: Solitary or Pack (3-6), plus one Giant Spider or 1-4 Spider Swarms
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Usually Lawful Evil
    Level Adjustment: +4

Adherer's who are caught off guard initially look like mummies as their skin (?) seems like masses of filthy white bandages. But instead of dust and rot they smell like sour mucilage. This is in fact because they are plants or fungi that 'sweat' mucilage in order to stick debris to themselves so they can blend in. They are ambush predators that attack from surprise and use their adhesion to attach themselves to prey. They appear to have some sort of symbiotic relationship with giant spiders, and they often work together to trap ans share prey. The Adherer's abilities are odd enough to imply that they are unnatural, and quite probably the result of magical experimentation.

Adhesion (Ex): An Adherer exudes a thick resin that acts as a powerful adhesive, holding fast any creatures or items that touch it. An adhesive-covered Adherer automatically grapples any creature it hits with its slam attack. Opponents so grappled cannot get free while the Adherer is alive without removing the adhesive first.

A weapon that strikes an adhesive-coated Adherer is stuck fast unless the wielder succeeds on a DC 18 Reflex save. A successful DC 18 Strength check is needed to pry it off (Save and Check DC are Constitution based with a +6 racial Modifier).

Fire or boiling liquids dissolves the adhesive, but the Adherer still can grapple normally. An Adherer can dissolve its adhesive at will, and the substance breaks down 5 rounds after the creature dies.

An Adherer who Pins it's opponent in a Grapple lets it's resin seep into it's opponents airways, slowly suffocating them as it glues their mouth and nose shut. Opponents who are Pinned for 3 rounds have their air cut off and begin suffocating as per the DMG rules until it's cleared off by fire, boiling liquid, or the Adherer's blood. Remove Disease will also fix it. As long as it's adhesive is active an Adherer gains a +6 Racial Bonus on grapple Checks.

Fire Vulnerability (Ex): The sticky resin covering Adherer's is highly flammable and they take double damage from fire attacks.

Immunities (Ex): Adherer's are immune to 1st Level Spells that do not do fire damage.

Spider Affinity: Adherer's have a strange relationship with spiders and will never willingly attack them, nor are they attacked by them. As a Supernatural Ability they also have Telepathy with a range of 60', but only for communication with spiders.

Camouflage (Ex): This is identical to the Ranger Ability from the Player's Handbook.

Combat: Adherer's attack from surprise, each member of the pack grabbing a separate party member and grappling. If they have spider friends they will be asked to soften up troublesome members who can't be taken down via grapple.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2013-05-17 at 08:03 PM.
    Orcs and Goblins

14. - Top - End - #854
    Titan in the Playground

Greater Medusa
    Large Monstrous Humanoid
    Hit Dice: 8d8+16 (52 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 17 (-1 Size, +2 Dex, +6 Natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+14
    Attack: Shortbow +9 ranged (1d8/×3) or dagger +9 melee (1d6+2/19-20) or snakes +9 melee (1d6+2 plus poison)
    Full Attack: Shortbow +9/+4 ranged (1d8/×3); or dagger +9/+4 melee (1d6+2/19-20) and snakes +9 melee (1d6+2 plus poison)
    Special Attacks: Petrifying Gaze, Poison
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., SR 18
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +&
    Abilities: Str 14, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 15
    Skills: Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Hide +6, Intimidate +7, Move Silently +9, Spot +6
    Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Finesse
    Environment: Temperate Marshes
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 8
    Alignment: Usually Lawful Evil
    Level Adjustment: ---

Roughly 1 in 10 Medusa have long serpentine tails in place of legs. At 10-20' long they are much bigger than the average member of their race. It's unknown if this is a mutation or perhaps a disease as the 'Greater' Medusa seems riddled with toxins. Even so much as touching ones corpse is possible death.

Petrifying Gaze (Su): Turn to stone permanently, 30 feet, Fortitude DC 16 negates. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Poison (Ex): Touch, Fortitude DC 18, initial damage 1d6 Con, secondary damage 1d6 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based with a +2 Racial Bonus. Unlike normal Medusa who can only deliver their poison via snakebite yours is delivered by blood as well. Anything attacking you with a Natural Weapon (or an unarmed strike doing piercing or slashing damage) must make a Save as well. Melee opponents using a piercing or slashing weapon must make a DC 18 Reflex Save or be forced to make a Fortitude Save against the poison as well. If they have an ability like Wounding that causes their opponent to bleed the Reflex Save is not necessary, they automatically have to Save against the Poison. The Medusa themselves often coat their knives and arrows with their own venom, and if wounded they may coat an arrow or dagger as a Swift Action.

Combat: Greater Medusa often rely on poisoned arrows so they try to keep opponents at range for as long as possible.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2013-06-03 at 11:14 PM.
    Orcs and Goblins

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

Apparently the Maedar has already been covered for 3.5 :/

So I'll be editing the Greater Medusa into the above post...
    Orcs and Goblins

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

Sea Hermit (Red Steel)
    Gargantuan Magical Beast (Aquatic)
    Hit Dice: 10d10+50 (105 hp)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 15 ft. (3 squares), Swim 30 ft.
    Armor Class: 20 (-4 Size, +14 Natural), touch 6, flat-footed 20
    Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+32
    Attack: Pincer +16 melee (2d8+10/19-20)
    Full Attack: 2 Pincers +16 melee (2d8+10/19-20)
    Space/Reach: 20 ft./20 ft.
    Special Attacks: Devour Knowledge, Vorpal Pincers, Shapechange
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Amphibious, SR 26, Tremorsense 60'
    Saves: Fort +12, Ref +7, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 30, Dex 10, Con 20, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 16
    Skills: Bluff +10, Concentration +9, Diplomacy +10, Disguise +7, Gather Information +10, Hide -8, Intimidate +7, Knowledge (Arcana, Geography, History, Nature) +8, Listen +7, Sense Motive +8, Spot +7, Survival +7, Swim +14, Use Magic Device +7
    Feats: Improved Critical (Pincer), Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Power Attack
    Environment: Seas just off the Savage Coast
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 16
    Alignment: Usually Neutral Evil
    Advancement: 11-20 HD (Gargantuan), 21-30 HD (Colossal)
    Level Adjustment: ---

Sea Hermits are the vile knowledge collectors of some sort of deep undersea kingdom, and they are often compared to naturalists who pin insects to boards to study and preserve them. They appear as gigantic hermit crabs, but use their shapechanging abilities to appear as an affable old man or woman living on the beach in a house composed of a gigantic shell.

Devour Knowledge (Su): Sea Hermits are effectively 16th Level Wizards, but they learn spells not so much by study but by devouring the land dwellers they study. Anytime the Sea Hermit devours an Arcane Caster it can make a DC 30 Level Check to absorb a random spell it is capable of casting (i.e. any Arcane spell of 8th Level or Less). ROll 4d10 for the number of spells the Hermit knows already, and 1d8 for Spell Level. They can come from any Arcane Caster list.

Vorpal Pincers (Ex): The Sea Hermit threatens a critical on a Natural 19-20 with it's Pincers. Upon a confirmed Critical hit the Pincer severs the opponent’s head (if it has one) from its body. Some creatures, such as many aberrations and all oozes, have no heads. Others, such as golems and undead creatures other than vampires, are not affected by the loss of their heads. Most other creatures, however, die when their heads are cut off.

Shapechange (Su): At will as a Full Round Action the Sea Hermit may cast Shapechange to become any creature whose flesh it has used it's Devour knowledge Ability on.

Shell: The Sea Hermits Shell is a 30' conical tower that's about 20' across at the base. It is identical to Daern's Instant Fortress, except that the Sea Hermit wears it like a shell in it's true form, and it cannot change size. Many Sea Hermits modify theirs to hold a few cells for prisoners, a laboratory, and even traps.

Combat: Sea Hermits appear as old men or enticing women and lure land dwellers into their shell home for a meal and discussion. It will generally doe them with knockout poison so as to capture them alive, but opponents able to resist will be attacked after it Shapechanges, or it assumes it's true form and submerges with it's opponent still in the shell to drown them.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2013-06-29 at 02:48 PM.
    Orcs and Goblins

17. - Top - End - #857
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bhu I need a Zombie Pirate and I need it by... sometime, and your the only feline for the job.

Reason for this is Zombies are mindless and I would like the creature to stay mindless (I will be so fun when the players board the ship of undead moving suspiciously moving in a circle and as they fight the zombies the ship will crash into some rocks) which means it can't gain class levels is swashbuckler. Also if you would, I would like this to remain at most equally as powerful as a normal zombie.

PS: I won't check back to frequently, sorry.
    "If you are after mere parlor tricks you will be sorely disappointed, for if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, BUT YOUR VERY SOUL!" The Venture Bros.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Titan in the Playground

How exactly do you want this to be different from a normal zombie?
    Orcs and Goblins

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie Pirate

"Zombie Pirate" is an Acquired Template that can be added to any corporeal Humanoid (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Size and Type: The creature’s type changes to Undead. It retains any subtypes except alignment subtypes and subtypes that indicate kind. It does not gain the augmented subtype. It uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Hit Dice: Racial Hit Dice become d12's, Hit Dice gain from classes remain the same, recalculate hp.

Speed: Unchanged.

Armor Class: Natural armor bonus increases by a number based on the Zombie Pirates size: +1 (Small), +2 (Medium), or +3 (Large).

Attacks: A Zombie Pirate retains all the natural weapons, manufactured weapon attacks, and weapon proficiencies of the base creature. A Zombie Pirate also gains a slam attack: 1d4 (Small), 1d6 (Medium) or 1d8 (Large).

Damage: Unchanged

Special Attacks: Retains any of the Base Creature's Special Attacks based on weapons combat.

Special Qualities: Retains any Special Qualities of the base creature that enhance it's melee or ranged attacks, and gains the following:

Damage Reduction (Ex): A zombie has damage reduction 5/slashing. Zombies are lumbering masses of flesh.

Single Actions Only (Ex): Zombies have poor reflexes and can perform only a single move action or attack action each round. A zombie can move up to its speed and attack in the same round, but only if it attempts a charge.

Past Life Memories: Zombie Pirates have vague memories of their past lives, and continue their chores on shipboard as long as it remains viable. They will do this to the exclusion of all else unless attacked. If a Zombie Pirate is attacked all other nearby Zombie Pirates get a DC 20 Spot Check to realize it and attack the intruder as well. They also get a DC 20 Spot Check each round a ship or a living being is in sight to realize there is a target they can attack.

Saves: Unchanged.

Abilities: A Zombie Pirates Strength increases by +2, its Dexterity decreases by 2, it has no Constitution or Intelligence score, its Wisdom changes to 10, and its Charisma changes to 1.

Skills: A Zombie Pirate gains a Racial Bonus to certain skills equal to the ranks it had in that skill in life. This skill list includes: Balance, Climb, Jump, Profession (Sailor or Pirate), Spot, Swim, and Use Rope. Despite being Mindless it has the use of these skills.

Feats: Unchanged.

Environment: Unchanged, but usually found on ships or underwater or coasts and islands.

Organization: Unchanged.

Challenge Rating: <>

Treasure: Unchanged.

Alignment: Always Neutral Evil.

Advancement: <>

Level Adjustment: <>

Example of creature using template here
    Last edited by Bhu; 2013-07-19 at 12:07 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

20. - Top - End - #860

Umm I'd say that it should have similar stuff that a zombie would have, but maybe have some bonuses to profession (sailor) and an ability that lets them sail a boat intuitively while being mindless and some ability involving plunder, weapon wielding, or having good sea legs. To keep it low op these abilities could all have drawbacks.
    "If you are after mere parlor tricks you will be sorely disappointed, for if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, BUT YOUR VERY SOUL!" The Venture Bros.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

Hows the skill bonus thing look to you?
    Orcs and Goblins

22. - Top - End - #862

Ya having a bonus equal to the ranks it had in life is good, but it should say something about loosing the ranks it originally had, so those key skills are not doubled.
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2013-06-16 at 02:33 AM.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    blindheim done and ready for review
    For 4 hit dice it is has too many special abilities. Even the LA +1 doesn't justify this.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Orpheus View Post
    Ya having a bonus equal to the ranks it had in life is good, but it should say something about loosing the ranks it originally had, so those key skills are not doubled.
    It's Mindless Undead, Mindless have no skill ranks.

Debbi: The Improved Grab and Swallow only work on Tiny or smaller opponents. I doubt they'll come into play very often.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2013-06-16 at 02:18 PM.
    Orcs and Goblins

25. - Top - End - #865

In that case the skills should be fine.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Titan in the Playground

How do special attacks/abilities seem to you?
    Orcs and Goblins

27. - Top - End - #867
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Sea hermit is missing a feat and its SR is is listed as "x."

Power attack feat seems a logical feat for the pincers.

Shell isn't really a "Special Ability" since it has no game mechanics. That should be in the creature's description.

Creature's Description

Spoiler
    Show

The sea hermit poses a very significant danger to the unwary. This creature appears to be nothing more than a lonely, benevolent person living in a huge shell on a deserted beach. It can appear as a human, acting the role of a recluse happy to have visitors. It will offer travelers shelter within its shell-home. Surprisingly, the shell is indeed large enough, a majestic form spiraling upward into a small tower roughly 20 feet in diameter at the base and rising 30 feet high. This shell is usually white with deep blue and red markings.

This large shell is truly the creature’s natural home. The sea hermit is actually a creature of the deep—a powerful being from an underwater kingdom who is studying the surface world. It is also a shapechanger.

Its natural form is very similar to that of a giant hermit crab. In this natural state, it is 10 feet wide and almost 40 feet long. Large arms ending in huge pincers extend from its body near the front. Its large, black eyes are on stalks, which can be pulled into armored niches for protection, and its two pairs of large feelers can sense heat, motion, and sound. The creature’s body is naturally armored in a dark red shell, and it has six skinny legs that extend out of the secondary shell to help pull it along the sea bottom and actually allow it to swim, dragging the majestic shell along behind it.

In some areas, the overlapping spirals bend some of the ceilings, making the overall architecture lack the hard edges and corners to which most races are accustomed. In areas of sharp upward slope, the sea hermit has formed a polished stairway from the shell’s glossy mother-of-pearl interior. The effect is quite beautiful.

The first 40 feet of the shell, as it wraps around the first curve, is where the sea hermit in its natural form fits. When posing as a humanoid, this portion is cluttered with driftwood and minor implements, suggesting a craft workshop or junk storage area. Past this, the shell has been reshaped to form archways, stairs, and rooms, including a laboratory and cells for prisoners.

A sea hermit will never wander far from its shell-home while in humanoid form for fear of losing it. Finding a new, unoccupied shell requires a long and dangerous undersea quest, with the sea hermit lacking its strongest form of protection. The creature will take any steps necessary to protect its home. This is one of the creature’s few weaknesses.

The sea hermit can speak several of the Savage Coast languages. It can also communicate with most intelligent, sea-dwelling creatures.

Combat

The sea hermit rarely attacks while in humanoid form. Occasionally, if it has lured people into its shell, it might attack while they sleep. Normally it prefers to capture specimens live. In its crab form, the sea hermit fights with two devastating pincer attacks. People trapped within the shell thinking to strike at the softer armor toward the creature’s back will find themselves suddenly dealing with several hundred gallons of water as the creature dives under the sea, allowing the seals to break long enough to flood the lower spiral of its shell.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2013-06-28 at 07:48 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Titan in the Playground

Sea Hermit fixed.

doc if you like the pirate as is I can fix up the la/cr.
    Orcs and Goblins

29. - Top - End - #869

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    How do special attacks/abilities seem to you?
    They look nice, but one more thing you could add would be a negative ability to cancel out the benefits of the skills and retention of special abilities with weapons. It could relate to greed, being on land rather than at sea, or anything you may think of, but my idea was for this template to be equal to or less than as good as the zombie template.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Creatures with no Intelligence scores do not have feats or skills except as bonus feats and skills. I would think the Zombie Pirate would have an Intelligence score (unlike normal zombies) as they would have to be free willed enough to man a ship.

Debby