New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Critters II!

1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Critters II!

Should i make the zippleback immune to fire? It's sparking head sets off the explosion, which would mean more often than not it would be right there in the middle of things,

Both critters updated.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2011-01-19 at 03:47 AM.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

Love the description section of the Acrosapien. It makes the players wonder. I never though that language could be used the way you just did. I am in awe.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Immunity sounds alright, though they do make a point if avoiding the blasts of the sea-dragon, so that kind of suggests they aren't immune to a part of that attack form.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Unless you want changes the Zippleback just needs CR.

Milo: The Acrosapiens shapeshifting ability mentions it can change into what it eats. Does it have to eat the whole body? And is iit limited to what size class it can be?

Also: I updated Abner over on the BG forums
    Last edited by Bhu; 2011-01-21 at 09:40 PM.
    Orcs and Goblins

5. - Top - End - #215

It has to eat at least 60% of the creature. Minimum size small. Maximum should be Large.

I think that they can only keep thier normal form & two other forms at a time.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

A few minor issues before we CR it up:

1) it's got Combat Expertise, which i thinkg fits nicely, but it doesn't meet the prerequisites, so it'll need to be a bonus feat and that means the beasty gets another feat. I suggest Frightful Presence from Libris Mortis so it can do that "strike a pose" bit it does in the film.

2) Could you make it clear that the two heads thing allows it to make two attacks as a standard action? Also, it seems like being dazed would simply lose it an attack, same with stunned, unless both heads were stunned/dazed...

3) It's a minor thing, but i thought you'd decided that the sweeping bit was a tail attack? Just a little surprised...good as is, mind.

Otherwise, smashing.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Tweaked both critters again. You like?
    Orcs and Goblins

8. - Top - End - #218

This is great.
    The main idea of the Acrosapien was to be a badass ninja warrior with good atttacks and spider traits.

You succeded!
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep. It's Tip-Top, though I'll be swapping the Improved Initiative for Daunting Presence so that it can oggedy boogedy more effectively

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

I'd forgotten the intimidation bit.

Rejiggered it and added CR. Let me give the Acrosapien a once over to see if its at least CR 15, and if not I'll fix it.

Monstrous Nightmare
    Huge Dragon
    Hit Dice: 14d12+56 (147 hp)
    Initiative: +8
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), Fly 80' (Good)
    Armor Class: 20 (-2 Size, +4 Dex, +8 Natural), touch 12, flat-footed 16
    Base Attack/Grapple: +14/+30
    Attack: Bite +20 melee (1d10+8)
    Full Attack: 1 Bite +20 melee (1d10+8) and 2 Claws +15 melee (1d6+4)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Kerosene Gel Fire, Fire Shroud, Improved Grab, Swallow Whole
    Special Qualities: Dark Vision 60', Dragon traits, Immune to Fire
    Saves: Fort +13, Ref +13, Will +10
    Abilities: Str 26, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 7, Wis 12, Cha 14
    Skills: Climb +25, Intimidate +19, Listen +18, Spot +18
    Feats: Ability Focus (Kerosene Gel Fire), Daunting Presence, Flyby Attack, Hover, Improved Initiative
    Environment: Warm or Temperate Mountains
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 8
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Usually Neutral
    Advancement: 15-21 HD (Huge), 22-28 HD (Gargantuan)
    Level Adjustment: ---

"Oh, I'm hurt! I am very much hurt!"

Nightmares are among the largest of the dragons, able to spit what basically amounts to Napalm. They are immune to fire, and perversely somewhat flammable so often use their fire to set themselves alight. Because quite honestly it's harder fro prey to fight back when you happen to be on fire.

Kerosene Gel Fire (Ex): Four times per say as a Full Action the Monstrous Nightmare can unleash a blast of burning gel that sticks to whatever it hits and continues burning. The initial blast does 10d6 fire damage with a successful Ranged Touch Attack. The target and everything within a 10' Area surrounding him burns for an additional 2d6 damage for 2d3 rounds. This fire may not be extinguished by non magical means.

Fire Shroud (Ex): As a Swift Action the Monstrous Nightmare can expend one daily use of its Kerosene Gel Fire to light itself aflame for 3 rounds plus one round per point of Constitution Modifier (in the case of this example 7 rounds). It's Natural Attacks and Grapples do +2d6 fire damage, and opponents attacking it in melee take 2d6 fire damage.

Improved Grab (Ex): If the Monstrous Nightmare succeeds with it's Bite Attack it can immediately make a Grapple Check as a Free Action without provoking an Attack of Opportunity. If it succeeds it may do bite damage or Swallow Whole.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A Monstrous Nightmare can Swallow an opponent up to 2 Size Classes smaller than itself with a successful Grapple Check. Swallowed opponents take 2d8+8 points of bludgeoning damage and 2d6 fire damage per round inside the stomach. A swallowed creature can cut it';s way out by doing 25 points of damage to the stomach (AC 14) with a light slashing or piercing weapon. Once it exits muscular action closes the hole and other victims must cut their own way out.

Combat: Monstrous Nightmares tend to set themselves afire before entering melee, perhaps using a blast or two of their breath weapon on the way in.
    Last edited by Bhu; 2011-02-15 at 11:17 PM.
    Orcs and Goblins

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

The Acrospapein is definitely not a CR 15 as is. I could add some assassin type stuff to bump it up to that level
    Orcs and Goblins

12. - Top - End - #222

I have an idea.
    I wasn't sure if I should give it the ability, as it doesn't fit the spider theme (then again the shapeshifting doesn't either).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Assimilate Weapon(su):The Acrosapien can attune itself to a single weapon by doing a 10 round ritual. This ritual makes the weapon absorbs with Acrosapien.
    The Acrosapien can from then onward make the weapon melt out of him at will as a free action (The new weapon is the same as the orginal weapon). The Arcosapien can then re-absorb it into themselves at will as a free action. An Acrosapien can only have one weapon merged and if the weapon that was merged is being used(as per this ability) they can't use this ability again until it is re-absorbed.

Also would a better name for Devour Enemies be "Assimilate".
    P.S.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think you should make a creature with the Polyphage ability (What ever you decide it should do) I like the idea of a creature that eats many things as it core concept & ability.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Monstrous Nightmare and Acrospaien updated. Acro still isn't quite a CR 15.
    Orcs and Goblins

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

QUick question: I had a request for this critter elsewhere. Does CR 10 seem fair?

Giant Starfish, Sunstar
    Huge Magical Beast (Aquatic)
    Hit Dice: 12d10+60 (126 hp)
    Initiative: -1
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
    Armor Class: 17 (-2 Size, -1 Dex, +10 Natural), touch 7, flat-footed 17
    Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+28
    Attack: Arm +18 melee (1d6+8)
    Full Attack: 10 Arms +18 melee (1d6+8)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Swallow Whole, Damage Ship
    Special Qualities: Blind, Mindless, Blindsense 60', Regeneration 5, Regrowth, Immunities, Scent, Spiny Defense, DR 5/Slashing or Piercing
    Saves: Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 26, Dex 8, Con 20, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 2
    Skills: ---
    Feats: ---
    Environment: Any Aquatic
    Organization: Solitary or Swarm (5-10)
    Challenge Rating: 10
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: 13-24 HD (Gargantuan)
    Level Adjustment: ---

"This...is wrong in so many ways..."

Giant Sunstars are the magically mutated cousins of their smaller, naturally evolved starfish ancestors. As usual some Wizard thought they'd make a great underwater guardian. They were able to increase their metabolism enough to allow them normal movement and even grow massively in size. Unfortunately they couldn't give them a brain. It's kind of hard to order minions who don't have a brain and can't understand what you want. Since then they've become the garbagemen of the seas, eating just about anything organic.

Improved Grab (Ex): If a Sunstar successfully hits with it's Arm attack it may immediately make a Grapple Checkas a Free Action without provoking an Attack of Opportunity. If it succeeds it may do it's Arm damage or use it's Swallow Whole ability.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A Sunstar may eject it's stomach to wrap an opponent up to it's own Size Class with a successful Grapple Check. The stomach can only hold one opponent at a time, but once the opponent is reduced to -10 hp by the stomach acid it is dissolved and it may use the stomach again. Swallowed creatures take 1d8+8 bludgeoning damage and 2d8+8 acid damage per turn in the stomach. Swallowed creatures may cut their way out by doing 25 points of damage against the stomach (AC 15) with a light piercing or slashing weapon.

Damage Ship (Ex): As a Standard Action a Sunstar has a 95% chance to capsize a ship 20' long or less. It has a 50% chance to capsize a ship 21' to 60' long, and a 20% chance if it's over 60' long.

Blind (Ex): Starfish only have simple eyes bale to detect light and darkness. As such they are immune to any effect requiring them to be able to see an opponent.

Regeneration (Ex): Sunstar Regeneration doesn't work against Fire damage. Lost limbs regenerate within 1 week.

Regrowth (Ex): A Sunstar that is chopped up becomes new Sunstars. Any piece equal to about 10% of the body weight of the original begins life as a 2 HD Sunstar, and it regenerates 1 HD a month until it becomes a new full sized Sunstar.

Immunities (Ex): Sunstars are immune to critical hits and disease, and cannot be flanked.

Spiny Defense (Ex): Sunstars are covers in spines, and if Swallowed (!) they do 2d6 piercing damage per round to their opponent. Opponents who attack them with unarmed strikes, natural weapons, or grapples takes 2d6 plus their own Strength Modifier in damage per turn.

Combat: Sunstars tend to capsize boats first if there's no prey in the water (they assume the boat is prey). After that they try to grapple, swallow, and move off till that prey is digested and they can swallow another.
    Orcs and Goblins

15. - Top - End - #225

What does Multiweapon Fighting & Improved Multiweapon Fighting do?
    Sadly I don't own a copy of Savage Species.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    What does Multiweapon Fighting & Improved Multiweapon Fighting do?
    Sadly I don't own a copy of Savage Species.
    The multiweapon feats can be found in the SRD (see Monster feats) which you can find online at d20srd.org.

It is for creatures with more than 2 arms. Creatures don't gain additional attacks based on their BAB, they gain attacks based on how many appendages they have for natural attacks. With weapons, they are disadvantaged because the standard is -6 for primary hand and -10 for all other secondary hands.

Multiweapon drops this penalty to -4 for primary hand and -4 for secondary hands. With Improved Multiweapon Fighting, a creature gets a second attack with each extra weapon, albeit at a -5 penalty.

I think that Acrosapien's attack lines are wrong. Attack is BAB + Str modifier + size modifier: 11 + 8 +0 = 19. There isn't a feat that adds to this so I'm not sure why any attack is listed at 23.

Bite +19 (1d6+12) and 6 claws +19 (1d6+6). Since it is not proficient with ANY weapon (not weapon proficiency in the stat block or noted elsewhere, it takes a -4 penalty for using weapons in addition to the standard penalties.) Attack with weapons should be 6 weapons at +11/+6.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-01-29 at 07:36 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

17. - Top - End - #227

Thanks Debi.
    I think the Acrosapien should have proficiency with any weapon it is currently Assimilating, Daggers, Katar's.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    The multiweapon feats can be found in the SRD (see Monster feats) which you can find online at d20srd.org.

It is for creatures with more than 2 arms. Creatures don't gain additional attacks based on their BAB, they gain attacks based on how many appendages they have for natural attacks. With weapons, they are disadvantaged because the standard is -6 for primary hand and -10 for all other secondary hands.

Multiweapon drops this penalty to -4 for primary hand and -4 for secondary hands. With Improved Multiweapon Fighting, a creature gets a second attack with each extra weapon, albeit at a -5 penalty.

I think that Acrosapien's attack lines are wrong. Attack is BAB + Str modifier + size modifier: 11 + 8 +0 = 19. There isn't a feat that adds to this so I'm not sure why any attack is listed at 23.

Bite +19 (1d6+12) and 6 claws +19 (1d6+6). Since it is not proficient with ANY weapon (not weapon proficiency in the stat block or noted elsewhere, it takes a -4 penalty for using weapons in addition to the standard penalties.) Attack with weapons should be 6 weapons at +11/+6.

Debby
    The Acrosapien has a 34 Str. It's 11 for BAB +12 for Str. Ive added proficiencies to their stat block, can't believe I forgot that.

The weapon line was for them attacking without using the multiweapon attacking Feat, I'll add a line for that.

Still need to bump it to CR 15

Any thoughts on CR 10 for the SUnstar?

Mullet: The nightmare now has feats, and since the dragon manual says they can swallow a viking whole i did add a swallow attack
    Last edited by Bhu; 2011-01-30 at 03:50 AM.
    Orcs and Goblins

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Is fair enough.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry if you've already done this, but can you do the Other Mother from Coraline? I want an adaptation of the one from the book, not the movie.
    Last edited by Chainsaw Hobbit; 2011-01-31 at 01:16 AM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by josha View Post
    I'm sorry if you've already done this, but can you do the Other Mother from Coraline? I want an adaptation of the one from the book, not the movie.
    I havent read the book. I can wing it if I can find enough info.
    Orcs and Goblins

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I havent read the book. I can wing it if I can find enough info.
    You should read it. It's light, casual, slightly creepy, and a lot of fun.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

what are the differences between the film and book?
    Orcs and Goblins

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

what are the differences between the film and book?
    Quite a few. If you read the Wikipedia page I linked you on, you can get a pretty good idea.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

would it be acceptable to you if I get the book from the local library and read it while finishing my current critters? I feel like I could do a better job of it.
    Orcs and Goblins

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

would it be acceptable to you if I get the book from the local library and read it while finishing my current critters? I feel like I could do a better job of it.
    Of course! I'm in no hurry.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Milo: WOuld you mind me adding spell resistance ot the Acrosapien?

Josha: As soon as the oce storms permit I'll head to the library :(

Mullet: Nightmare has everything except the breath weapon up. You like so far?
    Orcs and Goblins

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, though it seems more like the fire shroud should only affect those using natural/unarmed weapons due to the whacking that Stoic gave one without catching fire.

Either that or i could just create a feat that grants 5 fire resistance...

The latter is probably better, actually, leave it as it is.

29. - Top - End - #239

If you think the Acrosapien needs spell resistance to be CR 15 then add it. I couldn't think of anything to make it more powerful.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Acrosapien is done.

Mullet: Does 4 times a day seem okay given how powerful teh Nightmares fire will be?
    Orcs and Goblins