New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved Monster Classes- Still Alive, and taking requests!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Hmm. Gravetouched ghoul still needs more work.
    Now, I understand that you want it full BAB... but honestly, I couldn't see it as any more than 3/4. We're not looking at a martial expert here- we're looking at something that may be a martial expert. The ghoulishness is irrelevant to that- you're taking levels in your nature, not your skills.
    I'll let the 4+int skill points slide, though- ghouls are sneaky, scoundrel-y creatures anyways.
    It could also still use some more cutting down.
    Grisly diet: If still warm? Cut it.
    Also, I was under the impression that ghouls preferred rotting meat to fresh meat. Lovecraftian ghouls do, anyways...
    Again, too complex: the bookwork does add up. For the save DC, I'd just make it something like +3 for every 24 hours since the ghoul has fed. And, honestly, I wouldn't mind at all if you just scrapped that part of the ability altogether- nobody likes a character that might turn on the rest of the party. A couple of natural 1s in a row and bam, the group has to either kill the ghoul or let it kill one of them.
    Otherwise, looking okay.

Cloud giant is good, and is on the list.
    Made the changes to ghoul:
    Spoiler
    Show

Oct 21st:
    • BAB reduced, +1 Str to offset.
    • No more losing health or saving vs. hunger at sunrise/during the day.
    • Gorging no longer, as a consequence, has a value for being stockpiled to counter hunger/daylight. Instead, excess gorgings can be spent to counter turn attempts.

I have to ask, though, if the gravetouched ghoul is deemed less than skilled at melee, what's the justification for Dragons having full BAB? They're not exactly trained.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Well, nobody else wants to do it and Gorgon already has too much to do so back to Illurien for me!

After this Saturday. Right now I'm too worried about how my D&D session is going to go and whether I've prepared enough.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Shaedling

Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Fey body,+1 dex,+1 cha
    2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    | Sleeping curse, Wall of darkness,Create Shadow Gossamer,+1 dex,+1 cha[/table]
    HD =D8

Proficiencies : It gains Proficiencies with light armor, light sheild, simple and martial weapons.

Skills4+intel modfier (X4 at first level) Class Skills Bluff,Diplomacy,Escape Artist,Hide,Listen,Move silently,Spot,

Fey body:A shadeling loses all other racial bonus and gains fey traits(basically darkvision and low light vision). It is a medium sized fey with a base speed of 30ft.The shaedling has wings, but isn't initially able to fly

At 4th HD, it gains the ability to fly with a speed of 40ft+5/Hd with average maneuverability.

Create Shadow Gossamer A shaedling is able to create a non liquide weapon or tool of 15 pounds or lighter as a swift action.This substance is black in color. Shields that are from Shadow Gossamer have a 1 less on their armor check penalty. This ability last 5 rounds per hd. they can use this ability 2 time per Hd per day. At 3rd HD the item fuctions like masterwork,At 6th HD it gains a +1 bonus one items made by shadow gossamer. At 9th HD and every 3Hd latter it gains a addition +1 bonus, it finshes at lv 18 with a +5 bonus to shadow gossamer items.Shadow gossamer implements dissipate to nothingness if they leave the hands of a shaedling for longer than 1 round

Sleeping curse Once a per day per Hd a Shaedling is able to enchant a weapon with the sleep for 1 round, it is a swift action. If this hit the enemy must make a save(10+1/2Hd+Cha modifer) or fall asleep of 1d6 round. They cannot be woken up by anything but a remove curse spell.

Wall of darkness Once a per day per Hd a Shaedling can create a wall of darkness up to 30 ft long.This blocks the ligne of sight of those who do not have darkvision.

I've done some changes but i really think that level 2 has to many abilitys, which one should i put at level one?
    awesome avatar made by Trazoi
    Totem Cleric:A divine fighter that uses a totem which empowers him.

I will not have as much acces to a computer so I will not post as much.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #634

Quote Originally Posted by monkman View Post
    I've done some changes but i really think that level 2 has to many abilitys, which one should i put at level one?
    Shadow gossamer should be on level 2, due to its utility. I think either of the two other abilities would be fine for level one, but I cant make a choice between them.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Orc in the Playground

Ummm... where? It's not in the original phoelarch post.
    Also: Link!
    I'm not sure I understand. Whats not in the original post? The edits?

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AustontheGreat1 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand. Whats not in the original post? The edits?
    Yes, as far as I'm concerned.

Shadow gossamer should be on level 2, due to its utility. I think either of the two other abilities would be fine for level one, but I cant make a choice between them.
    This.

Gravetouched Ghoul: Nifty gorging ability. Wouldn't be out of line to give +1 dexterity or something: the original gravetouched ghoul was largely valued as a stat monster (for +1 LA, that is).
    Anyways, adding.
    Don't know about the dragons- maybe they are. Ask the guy who made them.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-10-21 at 07:51 PM.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

7. - Top - End - #637

Gravetouched Ghoul: Nifty gorging ability. Wouldn't be out of line to give +1 dexterity or something: the original gravetouched ghoul was largely valued as a stat monster (for +1 LA, that is).
    Anyways, adding.
    Don't know about the dragons- maybe they are. Ask the guy who made them.
    Ok, changed stat bonuses (from +2 Str at 1st, +1 Cha at 2nd, to +1 Str, +1 Cha at 1st, +1 Str, +1 Dex at 2nd.).

Edit: Double posting, so as to prevent clutter in the monster entry. Purple worm.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-10-21 at 08:44 PM.

8. - Top - End - #638

Purple Worm
    Monster Class
    Monster Manual, SRD

Spoiler
    Show
    HD: D10
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will |Special
    1st|+0|+2|+0|+0| Purple Worm Body, Tunnel, Dumb Brute, +1 Str, +1 Con
    2nd|+1|+3|+0|+0| Sting, Rip, Gullet, +1 Str, +1 Con
    3rd|+2|+3|+1|+1| Surge Past, Flexible, +1 Str, +1 Con
    4th|+3|+4|+1|+1| Growth, Ram, +1 Str, +1 Con
    5th|+3|+4|+1|+1| Emergence, Tremorsense 30', +1 Str, +1 Con
    6th|+4|+5|+2|+2| Erupt Forth, Swallow Whole, +1 Str, +1 Con
    7th|+5|+5|+2|+2| Improved Grab, Plunge Beneath, +1 Str, +1 Con
    8th|+6|+6|+2|+2| Growth II, Bore, +1 Str, +1 Con
    9th|+6|+6|+3|+3| Sinuous, Tremorsense 60', +1 Str, +1 Con
    10th|+7|+7|+3|+3| Maul, Impale, +1 Str, +1 Con
    11th|+8|+7|+3|+3| Snap Jaws, +1 Str, +1 Con
    12th|+9|+8|+4|+4| Growth III, Delve, +1 Str, +1 Con
    [/table]
    Skill Points 2+Int per level
    Class Skills: Intimidate*, Listen, Swim
    *uses Str by default.

Proficiencies: Purple Worms are proficient with their natural attacks only.

Purple Worm Body: The Purple Worm loses all other racial bonuses, and gains magical beast traits. Contrary to popular belief, Purple worms are not blind, having four tiny, purple tinted eyes equidistant around their maws. That said, they do not have darkvision, and use a combination of normal sight and tremorsense 15' to interact with the world (tremorsense upgrades to 30' at 5th level and 60' at 9th level). Purple worms are medium size creatures that sport a base speed of 20 feet, a swim speed of 10', a bite attack that delivers 1d10+1.5x Str damage and natural armor equal to 1 + Con bonus.

Purple worms lack the hands required for fine manipulation, and as such, cannot wield weapons or use doorknobs (in any case, they compensate with sheer brute force). Purple worms do not speak, but those who spend at least a week in the worm's company can learn to understand its body language and low growls enough that the player can understand simple expressions such as 'danger', 'hate', 'gratitude' and so on.

Purple Worms are hermaphroditic, and as such, are both male and female. For the purposes of spells, abilities and interactions that involve gender, the Purple Worm is effectively genderless.

Ability score increase: a Purple Worm gains +1 Str and +1 Con with every level in the class. By twelfth level, a Purple Worm has +12 Str and +12 Con.

Tunnel: Starting from 1st level, purple worms can burrow at a speed of 20' a round. However, the juvenile purple worm cannot pass through the densest earth (including rock, solid stone walls/floors, etc.), and is limited to burrowing just below surface level. As such, a burrowing worm is visible by a cresting ridge of broken and shifting earth, and can be attacked at such a time.

A purple worm has no difficulty entering or leaving the ground, and can transition without issue over the course of a move action. Attacks (including attacks of opportunity) on a burrowed worm tunneling just beneath the surface are penalized as though the worm had concealment. Additionally, both ranged attacks and attacks with reach weapons are penalized as though the worm had cover (cover in this case is provided by the ridges of earth on/around the worm).

These penalties aside, the purple worm is just as vulnerable to attack and spell targeting as any aboveground creature.

Dumb Brute: Purple Worms are not intelligent creatures. A purple worm operates largely on instinct, and any learning process is likely to be more physiological than mental. As such, from 1st level onward the Purple Worm can be considered mindless when such would be beneficial. In the event that a Purple Worm's intelligence is reduced to 0, it is rendered confused instead of comatose, with any reference to 'caster' being the largest stimulation (light, smell, source of motion) in recent memory. This state persists until the Purple Worm heals the intelligence damage.

As a drawback, however, the Purple Worm cannot take standard class levels, and can only progress in the monster class and monster template/prestige classes. This class feature can be waived if the Worm acquires both Int 12 or higher and the ability to speak.

Sting: From 2nd level onward, the Purple Worm can employ the poisoned spike on its tail. The Sting is a secondary natural attack that delivers 1d8 damage and a poison dealing 1d3 Str damage (secondary damage 2d3 Str). At 7HD, the poison increases to deliver 1d6 Str damage and 2d6 Str secondary damage.

Rip: At 2nd level, the Purple Worm can make use of the ridges, spikes and fangs that appear over full length of its body. Any time the Purple Worm succeeds in a maneuver that involves contact with the enemy, it delivers 1d4 slashing/piercing damage. This includes Bull Rushes, Disarm, Grapple, Overrun, Sunder and Trip, as well as the use of the class features Surge Past, Emergence, Plunge Beneath and Impale. Opponents who fail in attempted Bull Rushes, Grapples, Overrun and Trip attacks against the purple worm take the damage as well.

Gullet: Purple Worms are noted for the treasure trove of undigested gemstones and precious items in their gullet, and starting at second level, the Purple Worm can gain some ambient benefit from the items they have imbibed. A Purple Worm gains the benefits of swallowed magical items as though they were worn, but due to the interplay of sympathetic and antagonistic energies (those same ones that prevent more than one magical ring worn on one hand), the Purple Worm cannot gain benefits in excess of what a humanoid would wear, in terms of equipment slots. For example, a Purple Worm could not gain the benefits of two different helms.

Surge Past: At third level, the Purple Worm, already capable of burrowing through the hard earth, scraping against rocks and other buried debris, can turn surge past enemy ranks, ignoring their blades in much the same way. The purple worm can move through enemy squares in the course of its movement. Enemies can opt to do one of the following:
    • Avoid the passing Worm. The worm passes through the square without issue.
    • Attack the passing worm. The opponent makes an attack of opportunity at a -2 penalty, then suffers Rip damage (see above) as the worm either shoves past them or moves directly underfoot in a crest of broken earth, fangs and spikes.
    • Resist the worm. As the second option, above, but the opponent must be of at least the same size category as the worm. If they hit the worm, they can make a strength check (opposed by the Worm's own) to stop it from moving through the space, in which case it stops in front of the opponent.

Flexible: Starting from third level, the Purple Worm cannot be knocked down and may constrict itself through spaces as though it were one size category smaller. In addition, should the Worm increase in size to such a point that they occupy multiple spaces (likely by way of the Growth class feature, below, and/or magical effects), the Purple Worm may forego their usual 5 foot step to reconfigure the positioning of their body, changing from occupying a square shaped space to an irregular section of ground. Worms who use do this must maintain the same total number of spaces (a worm with 10' space is 4 tiles) and each occupied space must have a horizontal or vertical connection to another part of the worm. Nobody's going to let me get away with this one.

Growth: At fourth level, the Purple Worm grows a size category (typically to large size). Its AC, bonus to hit, grapple and skills change accordingly, but doesn't get any particular ability score bonus or penalties and its movement speed remains unchanged. The Purple Worm's bite increases to 1d12 damage, and its sting increases to 1d10 damage. Rip now delivers 1d6 damage when triggered. Finally, the Purple Worm gains +1 to its natural armor.

Ram: At fourth level, the Purple Worm can close its mouth, and use its head as a battering ram. This is a melee attack that provokes attacks of opportunity and involves two full rounds to deliver (one to shift its coils through the ground around it to find optimal footing, the other to deliver the attack). Where it initially deals 1d12+2x Str blunt damage for a large size worm, the base damage doubles each time the worm increases a size category (2d12 for a huge worm, 4d12 for a gargantuan worm, and 8d12 for a colossal worm, each with +2x Str damage).

Emergence: A Purple Worm of fifth level or higher may keep its body submerged with only its head protruding. This allows the Purple Worm to partially emerge from burrowing as part of any movement that moves it above ground (such as a movement action, or a charge), and occupy spaces as though it were up to two size categories smaller than it is (minimum Medium). It maintains the core benefits and penalties of large size (grapple/maneuver bonuses and penalties, changes to skills), but it presents a much smaller target for attack, with the rest of its body retaining the benefits of being burrowed. That said, a purple worm employing this tactic has its reach reduced as appropriate to the assumed size. The worm may end the emergence effect as a free action while moving.

Tremorsense 30': A Purple Worm of 5th level or higher has its tremorsense doubled in range to 30'.

Erupt Forth: Starting at 6th level, a Purple Worm can burst from the ground in a shower of dirt and rock to lunge at an opponent. The Purple Worm can charge while burrowed, emerging adjacent to the opponent.

Starting at 8HD, the force of the Purple Worm's sudden emergence can thrust enemies adjacent to the rising Worm into the air. Enemies within 5' of the Worm must make a Reflex save (DC 10 +½ Worm's HD + Worm's Str bonus) or be sent flying, provoking an attack of opportunity from the Worm (including any charge bonuses) and landing them 1d3 tiles away from the Worm. Foes sent flying in this manner who do not pass their choice of either a second reflex save or a balance check (same DC as above) are knocked prone.

Swallow Whole: A Worm of 6th level or higher can swallow an opponent that it is grappling. To do this, it must succeed on another grapple check (as if to pin the opponent). If successful, it swallows the foe, delivering both Rip and Bite damage. Opponents to be swallowed must be at least one size category smaller than the Worm.

Swallowed foes are crushed each round, taking the same damage they would from a bite (but as blunt damage) and suffering twice the Worm's con bonus in acid damage. To escape, they must cut their way through of the worm's gizzard. To do so, they must attack with a light/natural slashing weapon and deliver at least 25 points of damage to the AC 17 gizzard. Once the creature escapes, muscular action closes the hole.

Improved Grab: A Purple Worm of 7th level or higher that lands a bite attack on an opponent can immediately initiate a grapple without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it seizes the victim in its jaws and may attempt to swallow whole the following round.

Plunge Beneath: A 7th level Purple Worm can dive into the earth in a shower of dirt and debris. This allows two minor techniques:
    • The Purple Worm can dive into the ground while grappling an opponent. Opponents subjected to this face both the violent force of the worm's movement through the earth and the prospect of being buried beneath ten or twenty feet of rock with the body of the purple worm occupying their only way back to the surface. This technique provokes an attack of opportunity from the victim (with all the penalties of being involved in a grapple), then deals 2d6 bludgeoning damage to them. This technique ends the grapple, and the victim is left occupying the far end of a 10' by 10' space of packed earth, with the Purple Worm occupying the 10' diameter tunnel that continues back up to the surface at a 45 degree angle. If the Worm does not yet have the Bore ability or some other method of burrowing, the tunnel is only 15' deep, including the ten foot by ten foot 'room'. Otherwise, it is up to 40' deep.
    • A Purple Worm that would suffer fall damage can instead choose to take half damage and burrow, placing itself a distance underground (equal to 1/4 the distance fallen). The Worm must (unless it can burrow properly, see Bore, below) ascend directly to the surface on its next turn.

Growth II: An eighth level Purple Worm grows a size category (typically to huge size). As Growth, above, but the Purple Worm's bite increases to 2d8 damage, and its sting increases to 1d12 damage. Rip now delivers 1d8 damage when triggered. Finally, the Purple Worm gains +1 to its natural armor.

Bore: After reaching eighth level, the Purple Worm can burrow freely, without restricting itself to burrowing just beneath the surface. The Purple Worm cannot burrow through solid rock or metal.

Sinuous: A ninth level Purple Worm can fight with just its head and tail above the ground. Adopting this position is a move action. Treat each as an individual, medium sized attacker, with the ability to make a single attack against an opponent within 5'. Both head and tail must remain within 15' of each other at all times, and neither can make any actions that aren't standard combat maneuvers, attacks or withdrawing back into the ground (canceling the position).

Tremorsense 60': A Purple Worm that reaches 9th level has its tremorsense doubled in range to 60'.

Maul: A Purple Worm of 10th level can mangle its prey in the course of swallowing it whole, not merely biting them but gnawing, shaking them like a rag doll and leaving them insensate. Any opponent who loses a grapple check against a Purple Worm takes 1d4 damage to the physical ability score of their choice and must make a Fortitude Save (DC 10 + ½ Worm's HD + Worm's Str bonus) or be dazed for 1 round.

Impale: Upon delivering a confirmed critical hit with its stinger, the 10th level Purple Worm spears through the opponent's torso. The opponent takes standard critical damage and automatically fails the initial saving throw against poison, as well as any subsequent saves that occur before they can extricate themselves. Further, they are attached to the worm and are unable to take any actions besides defending themselves without a will save (DC 10 + ½ Worm's HD + Worm's Con). The victim has their effective movement reduced to 0' and remains in the Worm's space as the Purple Worm moves, until such a time as the foe makes a Strength check (Same DC as the will save, above) to free themselves. To assist this, the critical threat range of the Sting increases to 19-20. At 15 HD, the critical threat range extends to 18-20.

Snap Jaws: Starting at 11th level, the Purple Worm can snap its guillotine jaws together to separate one part of an opponent from the rest. This is a standard action that may be performed at any time the Worm could make a bite attack. The Worm must make a successful attack roll, after which point the victim must make a reflex save (DC 10 + ½ Worm's HD + Worm's Dex bonus) or lose something crucial. If the victim fails, roll a d6 and consult the table below:
    {table=head]Result|Severed Part|Consequence
    1-2|Arm/Hand|Can only hold one weapon/shield/wand/item at a time, cannot wield 2 handed weapons. (If not appropriate, creature loses a natural attack).
    3-4|Foot/Leg|Movement cut to 1/3rd or 2/3rds if 4 legged (round down, min 5').
    5|Backpack|Inventory is spilled on the ground. If no backpack present, reroll.
    6|Head/Torso|Torso or head is cleanly severed, immediate death.[/table]
    Aside from Backpack, should a result not apply (ie. arm/leg on a giant snake), it is counted as a missed attack. If the victim succeeds the reflex save, the attack similarly misses.

Growth III: A twelfth level Purple Worm grows a size category (typically to gargantuan size). As Growth, above, but the Purple Worm's bite increases to 5d4 damage, and its sting increases to 2d8 damage. Rip now delivers 1d10 damage when triggered. Finally, the Purple Worm gains +1 to its natural armor.

Further, a Purple Worm that has reached twelfth level will grow one final time when it reaches 18HD, achieving colossal size, with a bite attack dealing 5d6 damage, a sting for 3d8 and 1d12 damage via. Rip. The 18HD purple worm gains one last bonus of +1 to its natural armor (for a total Natural armor of 5 + Con bonus).

Delve: A twelfth level Purple Worm can burrow through rock and solid walls.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Purple Worm. It's incredibly one dimensional (It's a giant worm with teeth that eats people), which is what I love. So, that said, I emphasized the brute nature of the thing. It isn't smart, it isn't clever, but it's vicious. It lurks beneath the ground and it dishes out plenty of hurt when it emerges.

Some of the details on the Purple Worm come from Dragon Magazine #282's article "Ecology of the Purple Worm". The rest is derivative of "It's a giant worm that eats people."

There weren't any real challenges once I figured out how I wanted the abilities to come up. I had most abilities (with concepts in mind) listed on the table within 5 min, spent a while shuffling them around to decide and the rest was putting idea to the page. I left the ability scores for last, and de-emphasized strength (rather than go with a +1 Str, +1 Con throughout) because the Purple Worm is capable of a lot of raw melee damage, given the size of the base damage on bite.

A few of the abilities were more creative stretches of the game (Sinuous, Flexible), and introduce a bit more tactics and potential battlefield control to the creature, which will hopefully make it more interesting for someone who wants more than a straight Timmy creature. I anticipate criticism, though.

So yeah. Bite people in half? Check. Swallow them whole? Check. Stick your giant poisoned tail spike through their chest and lift them into the air? Check.

Changelog
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oct 21st:
    • Added natural armor boosts to each growth stage.

December 11th:
    [list][*]Added Gullet.[*]Fixed wording on Impale (reference to nonexistent 15th level, when I meant HD).[*]Buffed stat bonuses. From +8 str over 12 levels to +12 str.[*]Clarified action type on Sinuous and Emergence.

Comments II (December)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about the delay in updating this. I actually thought I had, but must've closed the tab without submitting. I've been busy enough with work (65+ hour weeks for 3 months) that checking back in this thread hasn't been a priority.

In the end, couldn't really respond to feedback suggesting class options for dumb brute. There's no elegant solutions that make the Purple Worm able to take class levels without weirdness coming out of the woodwork (A purple worm with ranks in craft, or with trap sense, or spellcasting). As is, you advance it with templates (legendary purple worm, or the like) or you use magical means to help things make more sense (gaining speech, intelligence, etc.).
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-12-15 at 11:14 AM.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Orc in the Playground

Arcadian Avenger: uh-uh. Bad bonus feats! No Non-OGL material for you!
    I think the best option would to be replacing the bonus feats with gaining improved & greater TWF at specific numbers of BAB (6, 11, etc)
    Sounds fair enough, I added in a section on progression into Avenger's Armaments since that's where they gain the initial TWF feat. To avoid splashing the class just to pick up the entire chain, I added a class level requirement.

Wrath looks good.
    I prefer the blade rend in the book to the one you have, honestly. Optimally, with the version you made, one would put their heavy hitter weapon in the offhand, which just should not happen.
    As is, in the end, it's essentially just a TWF machine. The elude chance mechanic is good- I'd build on that. Maybe start with letting it work for attack rolls, then saves maybe? I don't know, just musing. I'd really like to see more than just a TWFer there.
    Well, unless I'm mistaken the blade rend in the book just does a flat 2d6, which is going to be thoroughly unimpressive at higher levels I think. I have some ideas for that though, which may work better.
    1. 2d6 damage plus 1.5 (or 2?) times strength modifier damage, the strength adding some scaling.
    2. 2d6 damage plus an addition 1d6 per 3HD, caps at 8d6 at 20th.
    3. Make it just base weapon damage (ie 1d8+Str Mod+Enhancement for a longsword) to minimize the benefit you could get for just enchanting the off hand.
    4. Just 2*Str Mod to start, then 2.5 times at 6th, 3 times at 10th, 3.5 at 14th, at 4 at 18th.

Otherwise, I think it's looking pretty good. Elude chance already applies to both attacks and saves, and I don't see too much of a reason to scale between those two. She's got good skills and abilities for scouting, and flight keeps her useful against flying opponents.

She will have 14 other class levels to flesh out abilities by 20th, and while TWF is a focus I think the small other bits help flesh out a solid character base. Maybe some ability to tie into their police type role on Arcadia? I could add in an ability score bonus just to ease the stat requirements since she really benefits from high Str (damage) Dex (AC, other TWF feats) and Con (HP, AC but I'm not really sure that adds much versatility.

Otherwise I think I'll be out of ideas after finishing Rend.

10. - Top - End - #640

Well, the reason was mainly that I had a lot of ideas that I thought would be fun to play that I had written down for the Dream Larva. I tried the Derro, but I couldn't get inspired. I couldn't get much down. I knew that it would be harder, I knew it would be a wild ride, but basically, I had a lot of inspiration in regards to the Larva, and I figured, that's the class I really felt something for with a little panache. So I thought, if that's what was calling to me, and nothing else was really looking like a good first class, I should give it a spin.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

Many thanks to Qwernt for my amazing mind flayer avatar!

11. - Top - End - #641

Spoiler
    Show
    Purple worms lack the hands required for fine manipulation, and as such, cannot wield weapons or use doorknobs (in any case, they compensate with sheer brute force). Purple worms do not speak, but those who spend at least a week in the worm's company can learn to understand its body language and low growls enough that the player can understand simple expressions such as 'danger', 'hate', 'gratitude' and so on
    are they able to wear any type of clothing or jewery

Tunnel: Starting from 1st level, purple worms can burrow at a speed of 20' a round. However, the juvenile purple worm cannot pass through the densest earth (including rock, solid stone walls/floors, etc.), and is limited to burrowing just below surface level. As such, a burrowing worm is visible by a cresting ridge of broken and shifting earth, and can be attacked at such a time.

A purple worm has no difficulty entering or leaving the ground, and can transition without issue over the course of a move action. Attacks (including attacks of opportunity) on a burrowed worm tunneling just beneath the surface are penalized as though the worm had both concealment. Additionally, both ranged attacks and attacks with reach weapons are penalized as though the worm had cover (cover in this case is provided by the ridges of earth on/around the worm).

These penalties aside, the purple worm is just as vulnerable to attack and spell targeting as any aboveground creature.
    what happen if the ground mud or sand?

As a drawback, however, the Purple Worm cannot take standard class levels, and can only progress in the monster class and monster template/prestige classes. This class feature can be waived if the Worm possesses both Int 12 or higher and the ability to speak.
    this should be not spellcasting classes. A Worm does not have to be smart ot have barbarian levels

Surge Past: At third level, the Purple Worm, already capable of burrowing through the hard earth, scraping against rocks and other buried debris, can turn surge past enemy ranks, ignoring their blades in much the same way. The purple worm can move through enemy squares in the course of its movement. Enemies can opt to do one of the following:
    • Attack the passing worm. The opponent makes an attack of opportunity at a -2 penalty, then suffers Rip damage (see above) as the worm either shoves past them or moves directly underfoot in a crest of broken earth, fangs and spikes.
    • Resist the worm. As the second option, above, but the opponent must be of at least the same size category as the worm. If they hit the worm, they can make a strength check (opposed by the Worm's own) to stop it from moving through the space, in which case it stops in front of the opponent.
    what happens if a person jams a spear inside the worm?Will it keep on moving

Ram: At fourth level, the Purple Worm can close its mouth, and use its head as a battering ram. This is a melee attack that provokes attacks of opportunity and involves two full rounds to deliver (one to shift its coils through the ground around it to find optimal footing, the other to deliver the attack). Where it initially deals 1d12+2x Str blunt damage for a large size worm, the base damage doubles each time the worm increases a size category (2d12 for a huge worm, 4d12 for a gargantuan worm, and 8d12 for a colossal worm, each with +2x Str damage).
    Could it not do a jump check to ram itself? or if it's moving then it 1 action.

Erupt Forth: Starting at 6th level, a Purple Worm can burst from the ground in a shower of dirt and rock to lunge at an opponent. The Purple Worm can charge while burrowed, emerging adjacent to the opponent.

Starting at 8HD, the force of the Purple Worm's sudden emergence can thrust enemies adjacent to the rising Worm into the air. Enemies within 5' of the Worm must make a Reflex save (DC 10 +½ Worm's HD + Worm's Str bonus) or be sent flying, provoking an attack of opportunity from the Worm (including any charge bonuses) and landing them 1d3 tiles away from the Worm. Foes sent flying in this manner who do not pass their choice of either a second reflex save or a balance check (same DC as above) are knocked prone.
    give it a bit of damage beacuse of the debris

what about metal? what's the max hardiness
    it can burrow though?[/SPOILER]
    Last edited by monkman; 2010-10-21 at 09:10 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #642

The purple worm looks very well done hyudra, but I think the dumb brute ability is a little unnessasary. The lack of limbs and speech means that most classes will be out of the question anyway, and a purple worm barbarian could hardly be expected to be intellegent.

Edit: The growth abilities would normally increase natural armor slightly.
    Last edited by Crafty Cultist; 2010-10-21 at 09:13 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

In regards to the Purple Worm. How would it gain speaking ability? A magic item or a mere 2 skill points in speak language?

14. - Top - End - #644

are they able to wear any type of clothing or jewery
    I imagine you could wear padded armor fit to size & unusual shape, but beyond that, pretty limited.

what happen if the ground mud or sand?
    That would be ideal terrain to move through. It doesn't really change the concealment/cover aspect.

this should be not spellcasting classes. A Worm does not have to be smart ot have barbarian levels
    Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist
    The purple worm looks very well done hyudra, but I think the dumb brute ability is a little unneccasary. The lack of limbs and speech means that most classes will be out of the question anyway, and a purple worm barbarian could hardly be expected to be intellegent.
    A Purple Worm12/Barbarian8 is still packing oddities such as trap sense, Handle Animal, Craft, and the like. Purple Worms have base int 1. As in, they aren't even sentient.

Dumb Brute is mainly an experiment, a shot at answering the question of what we might do with the monsters that are too dumb to be PCs. I'm going to hold off on changing it and just await further input before I make any changes there.

what happens if a person jams a spear inside the worm?Will it keep on moving
    Then if they're smaller than the worm, they do damage and that's it. If they aren't, they can make a strength check, as detailed in the ability.

Could it not do a jump check to ram itself? or if it's moving then it 1 action.
    A... jump check to ram itself? What is this I don't even

give it a bit of damage beacuse of the debris
    It already does rip damage. Consider that debris damage if you want?

what about metal? what's the max hardiness[/SPOILER] it can burrow though?[/SPOILER]
    It can't burrow through metal, so doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist
    Edit: The growth abilities would normally increase natural armor slightly.
    I'll add that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    In regards to the Purple Worm. How would it gain speaking ability? A magic item or a mere 2 skill points in speak language?
    A magic item. I may need to clarify that.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-10-21 at 09:32 PM.

15. - Top - End - #645

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    I imagine you could wear padded armor fit to size & unusual shape, but beyond that, pretty limited.
    The purple worm has a solid body, so it should be able to wear barding. though heavier armours, might just be armored segments with gaps in between for movement.

Spoiler
    Show

Or something.

16. - Top - End - #646

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist View Post
    The purple worm has a solid body, so it should be able to wear barding. though heavier armours, might just be armored segments with gaps in between for movement.
    I was thinking more along the lines of lack of proficiency. To be totally honest, I have no idea about the proficiency requirements of barding. If any unusual creature could wear it, it strikes me as quite a loophole.

17. - Top - End - #647

I was thinking more along the lines of lack of proficiency. To be totally honest, I have no idea about the proficiency requirements of barding. If any unusual creature could wear it, it strikes me as quite a loophole.
    Proficiency would still be needed of course, and the purple worm would probably not have any, but if it takes proficiency feats or class levels then it should be allowed.

Another thought, could you give the purple worm the ability to gain the benifits of magic items stored in its gullet. you could give it the same space limits as a regular creature and make it so it can disgorge the items intact when they are no longer needed. Just a thought on increasing playability.

Spoiler
    Show

Or something.

18. - Top - End - #648

Thumbs up Re: [3.5]Improved Monster Classes- Still Alive, and taking requests!

Purple Worm
    Monster Class
    Monster Manual, SRD

Spoiler
    Show
    HD: D10
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will |Special
    1st|+0|+2|+0|+0| Purple Worm Body, Tunnel, Dumb Brute, +1 Str, +1 Con
    2nd|+1|+3|+0|+0| Sting, Rip, +1 Str, +1 Con
    3rd|+2|+3|+1|+1| Surge Past, Flexible, +1 Con
    4th|+3|+4|+1|+1| Growth, Ram, +1 Str, +1 Con
    5th|+3|+4|+1|+1| Emergence, Tremorsense 30', +1 Str, +1 Con
    6th|+4|+5|+2|+2| Erupt Forth, Swallow Whole, +1 Con
    7th|+5|+5|+2|+2| Improved Grab, Plunge Beneath, +1 Str, +1 Con
    8th|+6|+6|+2|+2| Growth II, Bore, +1 Str, +1 Con
    9th|+6|+6|+3|+3| Sinuous, Tremorsense 60', +1 Con
    10th|+7|+7|+3|+3| Maul, Impale, +1 Str, +1 Con
    11th|+8|+7|+3|+3| Snap Jaws, +1 Str, +1 Con
    12th|+9|+8|+4|+4| Growth III, Delve, +1 Con
    [/table]
    Skill Points 2+Int per level
    Class Skill Skills: Intimidate*, Listen, Swim
    *uses Str by default.

Proficiencies: Purple Worms are proficient with their natural attacks only.

Purple Worm Body: The Purple Worm loses all other racial bonuses, and gains magical beast traits. Contrary to popular belief, Purple worms are not blind, having four tiny, purple tinted eyes equidistant around their maws. That said, they do not have darkvision, and use a combination of normal sight and tremorsense 15' to interact with the world (tremorsense upgrades to 30' at 5th level and 60' at 9th level). Purple worms are medium size creatures that sport a base speed of 20 feet, a swim speed of 10', a bite attack that delivers 1d10+1.5x Str damage and natural armor equal to 1 + Con bonus.

Purple worms lack the hands required for fine manipulation, and as such, cannot wield weapons or use doorknobs (in any case, they compensate with sheer brute force). Purple worms do not speak, but those who spend at least a week in the worm's company can learn to understand its body language and low growls enough that the player can understand simple expressions such as 'danger', 'hate', 'gratitude' and so on.

Purple Worms are hermaphroditic, and as such, are both male and female. For the purposes of spells, abilities and interactions that involve gender, the Purple Worm is effectively genderless.

Ability score increase: a Purple Worm gains +1 Con every third level in this class, and +1 Str/Con on every other level. By twelfth level, a Purple Worm has +8 Str and +12 Con.

A purple worm has no difficulty entering or leaving the ground, and can transition without issue over the course of a move action. Attacks (including attacks of opportunity) on a burrowed worm tunneling just beneath the surface are penalized as though the worm had both concealment. Additionally, both ranged attacks and attacks with reach weapons are penalized as though the worm had cover (cover in this case is provided by the ridges of earth on/around the worm).

Dumb Brute: Purple Worms are not intelligent creatures. A purple worm operates largely on instinct, and any learning process is likely to be more physiological than mental. As such, from 1st level onward the Purple Worm can be considered mindless when such would be beneficial. In the event that a Purple Worm's intelligence is reduced to 0, it is rendered confused instead of comatose, with any reference to 'caster' being the largest stimulation (light, smell, source of motion) in recent memory. This state persists until the Purple Worm heals the intelligence damage.

As a drawback, however, the Purple Worm cannot take standard class levels, and can only progress in the monster class and monster template/prestige classes. This class feature can be waived if the Worm possesses both Int 12 or higher and the ability to speak.

Sting: From 2nd level onward, the Purple Worm can employ the poisoned spike on its tail. The Sting is a secondary natural attack that delivers 1d8 damage and a poison dealing 1d3 Str damage (secondary damage 2d3 Str). At 7HD, the poison increases to deliver 1d6 Str damage and 2d6 Str secondary damage.

Rip: At 2nd level, the Purple Worm can make use of the ridges, spikes and fangs that appear over full length of its body. Any time the Purple Worm succeeds in a maneuver that involves contact with the enemy, it delivers 1d4 slashing/piercing damage. This includes Bull Rushes, Disarm, Grapple, Overrun, Sunder and Trip, as well as the use of the class features Surge Past, Emergence, Plunge Beneath and Impale. Opponents who fail in attempted Bull Rushes, Grapples, Overrun and Trip attacks against the purple worm take the damage as well.

Flexible: Starting from third level, the Purple Worm cannot be knocked down and may constrict itself through spaces as though it were one size category smaller. In addition, should the Worm increase in size to such a point that they occupy multiple spaces (likely by way of the Growth class feature, below, and/or magical effects), the Purple Worm may forego their usual 5 foot step to reconfigure the positioning of their body, changing from occupying a square shaped space to an irregular section of ground. Worms who use do this must maintain the same total number of spaces (a worm with 10' space is 4 tiles) and each occupied space must have a horizontal or vertical connection to another part of the worm. Nobody's going to let me get away with this one.

Growth: At fourth level, the Purple Worm grows a size category (typically to large size). Its AC, bonus to hit, grapple and skills change accordingly, but doesn't get any particular ability score bonus or penalties and its movement speed remains unchanged. The Purple Worm's bite increases to 1d12 damage, and its sting increases to 1d10 damage. Rip now delivers 1d6 damage when triggered. Finally, the Purple Worm gains +1 to its natural armor.

Emergence: A Purple Worm of fifth level or higher may keep its body submerged with only its head protruding. This allows the Purple Worm to emerge from burrowing and occupy spaces as though it were up to two size categories smaller than it is (minimum Medium). It maintains the core benefits and penalties of large size (grapple/maneuver bonuses and penalties, changes to skills), but it presents a much smaller target for attack, with the rest of its body retaining the benefits of being burrowed. That said, a purple worm employing this tactic has its reach reduced as appropriate to the assumed size.

Tremorsense 30': A Purple Worm of 5th level or higher has its tremorsense doubled in range to 30'.

Swallow Whole: A Worm of 6th level or higher can swallow an opponent that it is grappling. To do this, it must succeed on another grapple check (as if to pin the opponent). If successful, it swallows the foe, delivering both Rip and Bite damage. Opponents to be swallowed must be at least one size category smaller than the Worm.

Swallowed foes are crushed each round, taking the same damage they would from a bite (but as blunt damage) and suffering twice the Worm's con bonus in acid damage. To escape, they must cut their way through of the worm's gizzard. To do so, they must attack with a light/natural slashing weapon and deliver at least 25 points of damage to the AC 17 gizzard. Once the creature escapes, muscular action closes the hole.

Improved Grab: A Purple Worm of 7th level or higher that lands a bite attack on an opponent can immediately initiate a grapple without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it seizes the victim in its jaws and may attempt to swallow whole the following round.

Plunge Beneath: A 7th level Purple Worm can dive into the earth in a shower of dirt and debris. This allows two minor techniques:
    • The Purple Worm can dive into the ground while grappling an opponent. Opponents subjected to this face both the violent force of the worm's movement through the earth and the prospect of being buried beneath ten or twenty feet of rock with the body of the purple worm occupying their only way back to the surface. This technique provokes an attack of opportunity from the victim (with all the penalties of being involved in a grapple), then deals 2d6 bludgeoning damage to them. This technique ends the grapple, and the victim is left occupying the far end of a 10' by 10' space of packed earth, with the Purple Worm occupying the 10' diameter tunnel that continues back up to the surface at a 45 degree angle. If the Worm does not yet have the Bore ability or some other method of burrowing, the tunnel is only 15' deep, including the ten foot by ten foot 'room'. Otherwise, it is up to 40' deep.
    • A Purple Worm that would suffer fall damage can instead choose to take half damage and burrow, placing itself a distance underground (equal to 1/4 the distance fallen). The Worm must (unless it can burrow properly, see Bore, below) ascend directly to the surface on its next turn.

Growth II: An eighth level Purple Worm grows a size category (typically to huge size). As Growth, above, but the Purple Worm's bite increases to 2d8 damage, and its sting increases to 1d12 damage. Rip now delivers 1d8 damage when triggered. Finally, the Purple Worm gains +1 to its natural armor.

Bore: After reaching eighth level, the Purple Worm can burrow freely, without restricting itself to burrowing just beneath the surface. The Purple Worm cannot burrow through solid rock or metal.

Sinuous: A ninth level Purple Worm can fight with just its head and tail above the ground. Treat each as an individual, medium sized attacker, with the ability to make a single attack against an opponent within 5'. Both head and tail must remain within 15' of each other at all times, and neither can make any actions that aren't standard combat maneuvers, attacks or withdrawing into the ground.

Tremorsense 60': A Purple Worm that reaches 9th level has its tremorsense doubled in range to 60'.

Maul: A Purple Worm of 10th level can mangle its prey in the course of swallowing it whole, not merely biting them but gnawing, shaking them like a rag doll and leaving them insensate. Any opponent who loses a grapple check against a Purple Worm takes 1d4 damage to the physical ability score of their choice and must make a Fortitude Save (DC 10 + ½ Worm's HD + Worm's Str bonus) or be dazed for 1 round.

Impale: Upon delivering a confirmed critical hit with its stinger, the 10th level Purple Worm spears through the opponent's torso. The opponent takes standard critical damage and automatically fails the initial saving throw against poison, as well as any subsequent saves that occur before they can extricate themselves. Further, they are attached to the worm and are unable to take any actions besides defending themselves without a will save (DC 10 + ½ Worm's HD + Worm's Con). The victim has their effective movement reduced to 0' and remains in the Worm's space as the Purple Worm moves, until such a time as the foe makes a Strength check (Same DC as the will save, above) to free themselves. To assist this, the critical threat range of the Sting increases to 19-20. At 15th level, the critical threat range extends to 18-20.

Snap Jaws: Starting at 11th level, the Purple Worm can snap its guillotine jaws together to separate one part of an opponent from the rest. This is a standard action that may be performed at any time the Worm could make a bite attack. The Worm must make a successful attack roll, after which point the victim must make a reflex save (DC 10 + ½ Worm's HD + Worm's Dex bonus) or lose something crucial. If the victim fails, roll a d6 and consult the table below:
    {table=head]Result|Severed Part|Consequence
    1-2|Arm/Hand|Can only hold one weapon/shield/wand/item at a time, cannot wield 2 handed weapons. (If not appropriate, creature loses a natural attack).
    3-4|Foot/Leg|Movement cut to 1/3rd or 2/3rds if 4 legged (round down, min 5').
    5|Backpack|Inventory is spilled on the ground. If no backpack present, reroll.
    6|Head/Torso|Torso or head is cleanly severed, immediate death.[/table]
    Aside from Backpack, should a result not apply (ie. arm/leg on a giant snake), it is counted as a missed attack. If the victim succeeds the reflex save, the attack similarly misses.

Growth III: A twelfth level Purple Worm grows a size category (typically to gargantuan size). As Growth, above, but the Purple Worm's bite increases to 5d4 damage, and its sting increases to 2d8 damage. Rip now delivers 1d10 damage when triggered. Finally, the Purple Worm gains +1 to its natural armor.

Further, a Purple Worm that has reached twelfth level will grow one final time when it reaches 18HD, achieving colossal size, with a bite attack dealing 5d6 damage, a sting for 3d8 and 1d12 damage via. Rip. The 18HD purple worm gains one last bonus of +1 to its natural armor (for a total Natural armor of 5 + Con bonus).

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Purple Worm. It's incredibly one dimensional (It's a giant worm with teeth that eats people), which is what I love. So, that said, I emphasized the brute nature of the thing. It isn't smart, it isn't clever, but it's vicious. It lurks beneath the ground and it dishes out plenty of hurt when it emerges.

Some of the details on the Purple Worm come from Dragon Magazine #282's article "Ecology of the Purple Worm". The rest is derivative of "It's a giant worm that eats people."

There weren't any real challenges once I figured out how I wanted the abilities to come up. I had most abilities (with concepts in mind) listed on the table within 5 min, spent a while shuffling them around to decide and the rest was putting idea to the page. I left the ability scores for last, and de-emphasized strength (rather than go with a +1 Str, +1 Con throughout) because the Purple Worm is capable of a lot of raw melee damage, given the size of the base damage on bite.

A few of the abilities were more creative stretches of the game (Sinuous, Flexible), and introduce a bit more tactics and potential battlefield control to the creature, which will hopefully make it more interesting for someone who wants more than a straight Timmy creature. I anticipate criticism, though.

So yeah. Bite people in half? Check. Swallow them whole? Check. Stick your giant poisoned tail spike through their chest and lift them into the air? Check.

Changelog
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oct 21st:
    • Added natural armor boosts to each growth stage.
    This may be the most epic thing I have ever seen. Sir, have an internet.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ettin in the Playground

Barding is armor and requires proficiency as normal.

It is why most often, when you see an armored mount, it will be one of the following:

1. Leather Armor. No armor penalty, so non-proficiency does not matter.
    2. A fitting feat has been spent.
    3. Warbeast template.

Also, that worm is quite awesome.

Edit!

Also, made several changes to the Anaxim. All listed in the changelog. Spell-like abilities have been severely pruned and Wisdom bonuses and Wisdom bonus to saves have been removed.
    Last edited by Draken; 2010-10-22 at 08:44 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

In Soviet Baator, worm rides you!
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ettin in the Playground

...Never thought it was possible, an awesome purple worm. Amazing.
    A few nits to be picked, though:
    First of all, a normal purple worm has 35 strength, 25 constitution. I really think it should be getting more strength than constitution. Maybe. Either way, I'd like to see at least a +10 strength bonus so that at level 20 it can be competetive with a tarrasque/red dragon on the strength department (should land you with exactly 44 through normal means.)
    Dumb brute... ehhh. Thing is, most templates are inherited, not acquired. I suppose it's reasonable, but would it kill you just to allow fighter & barbarian as classes?
    Why not have greater scaling on sting?
    There's no reason not to resist the worm under surge past if you're going to attack it.
    I really don't like it when people spell out what happens with growth- we have a table on the first page, after all.
    Ram would be enough as just 1 full round action provoking AoO.
    What kind of action is emergence/sinuous?
    Under impale, state if it stacks with keen effects & such. And there isn't a 15th level in the class- did you mean 15 HD?
    Otherwise, very nifty. I like.

22. - Top - End - #652

Man, nobody's picking on Flexible or Sinuous? I'd totally guessed there would be more issue with it (highlight the area after Flexible).

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess
    First of all, a normal purple worm has 35 strength, 25 constitution. I really think it should be getting more strength than constitution. Maybe. Either way, I'd like to see at least a +10 strength bonus so that at level 20 it can be competetive with a tarrasque/red dragon on the strength department (should land you with exactly 44 through normal means.)
    Well, I'm of the opinion that Red Dragon & Tarrasque are problematic creatures on a number of levels, so I really veer away from using them as a standard to measure by.

In any case, I'm open to suggestions one way or another, and will likely implement the change you list when I have the time to sit down & do a revision. I'm generally shying away from giving the Purple Worm too much statwise, since it's got a lot to work with on a base level (5d4 base damage, plus countless opportunities to use Rip, Maul, etc.)

Dumb brute... ehhh. Thing is, most templates are inherited, not acquired. I suppose it's reasonable, but would it kill you just to allow fighter & barbarian as classes?
    That's very narrow. I could open it up, but I'd ideally want a prerequisite that fit all relevant classes (including potential homebrew classes) in its umbrella.

Why not have greater scaling on sting?
    The Worm's Sting does less damage than the bite, normally. The numbers provided put it at roughly the same difference.

There's no reason not to resist the worm under surge past if you're going to attack it.
    Size. You can't resist if you don't meet the size prerequisite. When I originally wrote that out, there were two options, but I couldn't work out a less-than-awkward way of putting it onto the page, that didn't clutter things up too much. I'll reword to make it clearer.

I really don't like it when people spell out what happens with growth- we have a table on the first page, after all.
    I hear that, but at the same time, I know some players print/copy-paste the material to bring to their table sessions, and they don't have access to the thread. More accessible & less chance of DM arguments/problems for said players if things are spelled out.

Ram would be enough as just 1 full round action provoking AoO.
    Maybe, but it's really not meant as a combat option. More of a siege thing, and a way for the worm to break through doors, etc. Headaches arise lategame if the worm decides risking an attack of opportunity is worth doing 8d12 damage to the Balor midcombat.

What kind of action is emergence/sinuous?
    I'll specify for Sinuous. Emergence is just a bonus to a standard charge.

Under impale, state if it stacks with keen effects & such. And there isn't a 15th level in the class- did you mean 15 HD?
    I did mean such.

Changes to come probably this evening.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ettin in the Playground

Man, nobody's picking on Flexible or Sinuous? I'd totally guessed there would be more issue with it (highlight the area after Flexible).
    ...There may be. I didn't give it a really, really thorough review.

Well, I'm of the opinion that Red Dragon & Tarrasque are problematic creatures on a number of levels, so I really veer away from using them as a standard to measure by.
    Nonononono... I meant so it could be competitive with the actual monsters- just archetypal colossal creatures.
    With starting 18 strength, a +6 item, +5 tome, and all stat boosts into strength, a purple worm class would only have 42 strength at level 20, while a tarrasque- monster, not class- would have 45. So does the red dragon. I'm saying give it another 2 strength so we can make sure it'll be on-par strength wise.

In any case, I'm open to suggestions one way or another, and will likely implement the change you list when I have the time to sit down & do a revision. I'm generally shying away from giving the Purple Worm too much statwise, since it's got a lot to work with on a base level (5d4 base damage, plus countless opportunities to use Rip, Maul, etc.)
    This is true. Nevertheless, it kinda lacks, well, everything else... no hands & no speech is a pretty big cripple.

That's very narrow. I could open it up, but I'd ideally want a prerequisite that fit all relevant classes (including potential homebrew classes) in its umbrella.
    Then figure one out.

The Worm's Sting does less damage than the bite, normally. The numbers provided put it at roughly the same difference.
    *facepalm*
    I meant the sting's poison, not the sting's damage.

Size. You can't resist if you don't meet the size prerequisite. When I originally wrote that out, there were two options, but I couldn't work out a less-than-awkward way of putting it onto the page, that didn't clutter things up too much. I'll reword to make it clearer.
    Ahhh, I see. Okay then.

I hear that, but at the same time, I know some players print/copy-paste the material to bring to their table sessions, and they don't have access to the thread. More accessible & less chance of DM arguments/problems for said players if things are spelled out.
    Are you honestly telling me that there exist D&D players out there that don't have computers with internet access? Anyways, the sentiment is perfectly fine, but the problem is when things tend to get confusing between the growth table and your growth ability- especially in damage increases.

Maybe, but it's really not meant as a combat option. More of a siege thing, and a way for the worm to break through doors, etc. Headaches arise lategame if the worm decides risking an attack of opportunity is worth doing 8d12 damage to the Balor midcombat.
    Ahh, I see. I've personally always just been a fan of abilities that are really powerful single full round attack options.

Specify for emergence, too.

24. - Top - End - #654

For Dumb Brute, what about, "Cannot enter any class with any sort of casting, manifesting, meldshaping, or binding ability."? Though I suppose the problem is that would not rule out classes like Rogue.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

Many thanks to Qwernt for my amazing mind flayer avatar!

25. - Top - End - #655

Shaedling

Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Fey body,Wall of darkness, Sleeping curse,+1 dex,+1 cha
    2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    | Create Shadow Gossamer,+1 dex,+1 cha[/table]
    HD =D8

Proficiencies : It gains Proficiencies with light armor, light sheild, simple weapons and 1 martial weapon.

Skills4+intel modfier (X4 at first level) Class Skills Bluff,Diplomacy,Escape Artist,Hide,Listen,Move silently,Spot,

Fey body:A shadeling loses all other racial bonus and gains fey traits(basically darkvision and low light vision). It is a medium sized fey with a base speed of 30ft.The shaedling has wings, but isn't initially able to fly. but beacuse of the wings they gains a +4 bonus to jump checks.

At 4th HD, it gains the ability to fly with a speed of 40ft+5/Hd with average maneuverability.

Wall of darkness Once a per day per Hd a Shaedling can create a wall of darkness up to 30 ft long.This blocks the ligne of sight of those who do not have darkvision.

Sleeping curse Once a per day per Hd a Shaedling is able to enchant a weapon with the sleep for 1 round, it is a swift action. If this hit the enemy must make a save(10+1/2Hd+Cha modifer) or fall asleep of 1d6 round. They cannot be woken up by anything but a remove curse spell.

Create Shadow Gossamer A shaedling is able to create a non liquide weapon or tool of 15 pounds or lighter as a swift action.This substance is black in color. Shields that are from Shadow Gossamer have a 1 less on their armor check penalty. This ability last 5 rounds per hd. they can use this ability 2 time per Hd per day. At 3rd HD the item fuctions like masterwork,At 6th HD it gains a +1 bonus one items made by shadow gossamer. At 9th HD and every 3Hd latter it gains a addition +1 bonus, it finshes at lv 18 with a +5 bonus to shadow gossamer items.Shadow gossamer implements dissipate to nothingness if they leave the hands of a shaedling for longer than 1 round

finshed, finally
    Last edited by monkman; 2010-10-25 at 05:44 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magicyop View Post
    For Dumb Brute, what about, "Cannot enter any class with any sort of casting, manifesting, meldshaping, or binding ability."? Though I suppose the problem is that would not rule out classes like Rogue.
    Or "Cannot enter any class with any class features relying on the stats Wis, Int, or Cha, or any features not directly involved with combat relying on the Dex stat."

Course, that leaves, what, JUST fighter as an available class? Maybe barbarian?
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, I must have exited without saving the changes to the phoelarch, that's why it wasn't fixed. I sincerely apologize.

Here are the latest Edits: 10/22/2010
    • Heat altered to remove the part that makes creatures catch on fire. Additionally, the fire damage from contact extends to weapons the creature us wielding.
    • Burning Blade Removed
    • Fire Mastery spells spread and expanded. The phoelarch keeps gains SLA's until it gains meteor swarms at 17th level.
    • Healing Fire works with all fire damage. But specified so that the phoelarch cannot heal from fire damage with itself as a source.
    • Fiery Wings changed. SLA removed and ability fully described.
    • Explosive Blade works on all weapons, not just nonmagical. Specified that it does not stack with flaming burst property.
    • Rise from the Ashes edited to include a line stating that a phoelarch who commits suicide or allows itself to die will not come back with its memories.
    Last edited by AustontheGreat1; 2010-10-22 at 09:03 PM.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Lammasu

Class:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hit Dice: d10
    {table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
    1|+0|+2|+0|+0|Golden Body, Holy Shield, Stat Boost
    2|+1|+3|+0|+0|Divine Connection, Damage reduction
    3|+2|+3|+1|+1|Lammasu Magic, Rake
    4|+3|+4|+1|+1|Flight, Energy Resistance
    5|+3|+4|+1|+1|Growth, Smite Evil
    6|+4|+5|+2|+2|Pounce, Spell Resistance
    7|+5|+5|+2|+2|Shining Light, Breath Weapon
    8|+6/+1|+6|+2|+2|Golden Protector, Greater Lamassu Magic[/table]
    Skill Points: 4+Int Mod (x4 at first level) Concentration, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Religion), Listen, Sense Motive, Spot

Proficiencies: Lammasu are proficient with their own natural weapons, no armour & no shields.

Class Features:

Golden Body (Ex): At first level the Lammasu loses all racial traits and features, and gains the Traits of a Magical Beast.
    - It is a Medium Magical Beast with a base land speed of 30ft.
    - It has two primary claw attacks that deal 1d4+Str damage each and a bite attack that deals 1d6+1/2 Str damage.
    - It gains a Natural Armour bonus equal to it's Con Mod.
    - Though it has wings they cannot yet sustain flight, though they do grant it a +4 bonus on jump checks.

Holy Shield (Su): The Lammasu benefits from a permanent Protection from Evil effect.

Stat Boosts (Ex): At first level the Lammasu gains +1 Str.
    At each even Lammasu level it gains either +1 Str or +1 Wis, chosen at each level.

Divine Connection (Ex): Despite not being Outsiders, Lammasu have an innate connection to the Upper Planes. From second Level may cast spells as a Cleric of their class level-1, choosing their 2 Domains from the following: Good, Healing, Knowledge & Law. They do not gain any other Cleric abilities such as Turn Undead, and nor do they gain the special powers of their chosen Domains.

Lammasu are capable of fine manipulation and Lammasu levels stack with Cleric levels for spell progression & Caster Level, and may count as Cleric levels for the purpose of qualifying for PrCs.

Damage Reduction (Ex): From second level Lammasu benefit from DR equal to 1/2 their HD, that is overcome by magic weapons.

Lammasu Magic (Sp): From third level the Lammasu may duplicate an Invisibility spell 1/day for every 2HD it has.

Rake (Ex): At third level the Lammasu gains the Rake ability.

Flight (Ex): At fourth level the Lammasu's wings become strong enough to sustain flight. It gains a Fly speed of 30ft with average manoeuvrability.

Energy Resistance (Ex): From fourth level Lammasu gain resistance to Acid & Electricity equal to 1/2 their HD.

Growth (Ex): At fifth level the Lammasu grows to Large size, it's claws now deal 1d6+Str damage, it's bite deals 1d8+1/2 Str damage and it gains a +1 bonus to it's natural armour bonus.

Smite Evil (Su): At fifth level the Lammasu's divine connection begins to grant it new powers. 1/day for each 5HD the Lammasu has it may infuse a weapon with holy power. If this attack hits an Evil aligned creature it deals 1 point of extra damage/HD it has.

At the DM's discretion Evil aligned Lammasu may Smite Good instead.

Pounce (Ex): From sixth level, if a lammasu charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.

Spell Resistance: At sixth level the Lammasu develops the power to resist magic. It gains SR 11+HD.

Shining Light (Su): At seventh level the Lammasu's Protection From Evil effect extends outwards, now functioning as a Magic Circle Against Evil.

Breath Weapon (Su): 1/day for each 5HD it has it may unleash a Draconic Breath Weapon. It is a 30ft cone that deals 1d6/2HD fire damage (Ref Save for 1/2 damage, DC10+1/2HD+Con Mod).

Golden Protector (Ex): At 8th level the Lammasu reaches the pinnacle of it's abilities. As the sun rises the day after it reaches 8th level the dawn light transforms it forever into a Golden Protector; the high kings of Lammasu kind.

It loses it's Magical Beast traits and features and gains the traits of both the Dragon & Outsider types shown below.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Darkvision 60ft.
    Low Light Vision.
    Immunity to magic sleep effects and paralysis effects.

It is native to Celestia and gains the Extraplanar subtype when elsewhere.
    It also gains the Fire subtype.
    At all times it is treated as having whichever of those types is most beneficial to it at the time (eg. when subject to a banishment spell or a Bane/Favoured Enemy effect), though it's Extraplanar & Fire subtypes always remains. This means that when killed the Lammasu may consider itself a Dragon, meaning it can be resurrected as normal.

It's Fly speed increases to 60ft(P), and it gains a +2 racial bonus on spot checks.

Greater Lammasu Magic (Sp): At 8th Level the Lammasu's spell-like abilities grow stronger. They may now duplicate Greater Invisibility (though they may still use the normal Invisibility effect if they wish). They may also now use Dimension Door 1/day for each 8HD it has.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's the Lammasu.

I added the Golden Protector stuff in as the capstone because I didn't feel the urge to make it into a PrC. Should I?

SLAs given at the level a Sorcerer would get them.

Nothing else especially shocking there. Thoughts?
    Spread out the capstone abilities.
    Made casting Class level-1 rather than HD-1, that was a mistake.
    Expanded on what benefits the mutli-type thing gives.
    Left the hit dice as it is coz that's the M.Beast HD, and is half way between the Outsider & Dragon HD for the final level, so it seems appropriate.

Thoughts now?
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-10-23 at 08:49 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

29. - Top - End - #659

Githyanki

Spoiler
    Show

Hit Dice: d8
    {table]
    Level
    |
    Base Attack Bonus
    |
    Fortitude
    |
    Reflex
    |
    Will
    |
    Class Features

1st
    |
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Gith Body, Raging Mind, Power Resistance, +1 Dex, +1 Int[/table]
    Skills: (4+Intelligence modifier) The Githyanki class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Jump (Str), Knowledge (psionics), (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), and Swim (Str).

Proficiencies: Githyanki are proficient with simple and martial weapons.They also gain proficiency with light armor but not with shields.

Class Features

Gith Body:
    The Githyanki loses all of its racial traits and ability modifiers. It now becomes a Humanoid, and gains all of the traits of both the Humanoid type and the Extraplanar subtype. It is medium creature with a base land speed of 30 feet. Githyanki have Darkvision out to 60 feet.

Raging Mind: Starting at first level the Githyanki gains the following Psionic-like abilities at the following HD: the Githyanki can use each PsLA a certain number of times per day depending on its HD. Saves are 10+1/2HD+Int mod. Manifester level is equal to HD.

{table]
    HD
    |
    Power
    |
    Uses per Day

|
    Far Hand
    |
    1/day per HD

|
    Psionic Daze
    |
    1/day per HD

|
    Concealing Amorpha
    |
    1/day per HD

|
    Psionic Dimension Door
    |
    1/day per 2 HD

|
    Telekinetic Thrust
    |
    1/day per 3 HD

|
    Planeshift
    |
    1/day per 5 HD
    [/table]

These Psionic-Like abilities are always augmented to full Manifester level, as normal.
    Further if a Githyanki multi-classes into a psion, she is treated as already having a number of psion levels equal to its Githyanki level for the purposes of new powers known and points per day. But not any other class features.
    So for example a Githyanki 1 who takes a level of psion would count as already having 1 levels of psion and gains the power points and Powers known that a psion gains when leveling from level 1 to 2, but would not gain any additional power points powers known typically provided by taking 1 level of psion.

If a Githyanki takes a manifesting prestige class, she may choose to advance her manifesting as that of a Psion.

Power Resistance: At first level the Githyanki gains Power Resistance (and only power resistance, even if normally Power Resistance works as spell resistance) equal to 5+HD.
    At 4 HD this increases to 11+HD, and behaves as normal Power Resistance.

Ability Increase: The Githyanki gains a +1 bonus to Intelligence and Dexterity at first level.

Languages
    Automatic Languages: Common and Gith
    Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic, Infernal, Slaad, and Undercommon.

Githzerai

Spoiler
    Show

Hit Dice: d8
    {table]
    Level
    |
    Base Attack Bonus
    |
    Fortitude
    |
    Reflex
    |
    Will
    |
    Class Features
    1st
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Gith Body, Tranquil Mind, Power Resistance, +1 Wis, +1 Dex[/table]
    Skills: (6+Intelligence modifier) The Githzerai class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), , Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Proficiencies: Githzerai are proficient with simple weapons, and one martial weapon of their choosing. They do not gain any new armor proficiencies.

Class Features

Gith Body:
    The Githzerai loses all of its racial traits and ability modifiers. It now becomes a Humanoid, and gains all of the traits of both the Humanoid type and the Extraplanar subtype. It is medium creature with a base land speed of 30 feet. Githzerai have Darkvision out to 60 feet.

Tranquil Mind: Starting at first level the Githzerai gains the following Psionic-like abilities at the following HD: the Githzerai can use each PsLA a certain number of times per day depending on its HD. Saves are 10+1/2HD+Wis mod. Manifester level is equal to HD.

{table]
    HD
    |
    Power
    |
    Uses per Day
    |
    Catfall
    |
    1/day per HD
    |
    Inertial Armor
    |
    1/day per HD
    |
    Psionic Daze
    |
    1/day per HD
    |
    Concusion Blast
    |
    1/day per HD
    |
    Psionic Freedom of Movement
    |
    1/day per 2 HD
    |
    Immovability
    |
    1/day per 3 HD
    |
    Planeshift
    |
    1/day per 5 HD
    [/table]

These Psionic-Like abilities are always augmented to full Manifester level, as normal.
    Further if a Githzerai multi-classes into a psion, she is treated as already having a number of psion levels equal to its Githzerai level for the purposes of new powers known and points per day. But not any other class features.
    So for example a Githzerai 1 who takes a level of psion would count as already having 1 levels of psion and gains the power points and Powers known that a psion gains when leveling from level 1 to 2, but would not gain any additional power points powers known typically provided by taking 1 level of psion.

If a Githzerai takes a manifesting prestige class, she may choose to advance her manifesting as that of a Psion.

Power Resistance: At first level the Githzerai gains Power Resistance (and only power resistance, even if normally Power Resistance works as spell resistance) equal to 5+HD.
    At 4 HD this increases to 11+HD, and behaves as normal Power Resistance.

Ability Increase: The Githzeai gains a +1 bonus to Wisdom and Dexterity at first level.

Languages
    Automatic Languages: Common and Gith
    Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic, Infernal, Slaad, and Undercommon.

A Chump’s Twopence:
    Spoiler
    Show

Githyanki
    Weak will to represent wisdom hit.
    Dropped Naturally Psionic. [3 powerpoints…yippie. Sure it doesn’t qualify for psionic feats right off the bat, but for a 1 level class/race it’s already strong enough]
    PR at L.1 is a bit strong, especially since most DMs I know roll with Psionics as Magic, where PR and SR have no difference save for 3 letter placements in the alphabet.
    Not married to the further weakening of PR 5+HD, but if people like it, it can stay.

Githzerai
    Less PsiLA than the Githyanki, therefore bumped skills, and added strong will.
    Contemplating offering Githzerai Natural Psionisic to keep up with Githyanki Kin.That or increased Dexterity, as it normally gets.

I posted two races, which I realize is a bit Taboo, but I think they are similar enough that it shouldn't be two much work, especially considering they are both 1 level long.

Edit 1:
    Psi-Like Complications edited.
    Fixed 'Extreplanar' to 'Extraplanar'
    Fixed Tables
    'Zerai given Wis based DCs
    'Zerai given Monk Bab/Saves

'Yanki given Int based DCs
    'Yanki given Light Armor and Martial Weapon Prof.

Edit 2:
    'Yanki gain +1 Int.
    'Yanki now gain 4+Int Skills
    'Zerai gain +1 Dex. A long time ago

Edit 3: 11/15/10
    'Zerai gain 'Freedom of Movement' and 'Escape Detection'
    May Change Escape Detection for 'Ubiquitous Vision'
    Trying to give 'Zerai more SLA in line with their Tranquil and Monk like Nature.

Edit 4:
    'Zerai have Immovability.
    However am contemplating alternatively 'Energy Adaptation' but I don't like the non augmentable 10...
    Last edited by AugustNights; 2010-11-29 at 02:16 PM.
    Come with me, time out of mind...

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magicyop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Or "Cannot enter any class with any class features relying on the stats Wis, Int, or Cha, or any features not directly involved with combat relying on the Dex stat."

Course, that leaves, what, JUST fighter as an available class? Maybe barbarian?
    No, no... the first one is just wrong (a swashbuckler purple worm?) While the second one... I'm not quite sure, though I'm sure silliness would be quite possible- I don't believe the rogue relies on those stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Spread out the capstone abilities.
    Made casting Class level-1 rather than HD-1, that was a mistake.
    Expanded on what benefits the mutli-type thing gives.
    Left the hit dice as it is coz that's the M.Beast HD, and is half way between the Outsider & Dragon HD for the final level, so it seems appropriate.

Thoughts now?
    Mmm... still too powerful. This is a caster we're talking about here. You're losing one cleric level for some massive benefits- it would be worth taking an LA for that, but instead, you're getting d10 HD every level!
    A few suggestions:
    Tone down the ability scores. All of them. A lot. I'd say +1 strength at levels 2 & 6 and +1 wisdom at levels 4 & 8.
    One domain.
    2+int mod skill points.
    I'm still going for d8 HD.
    After that, scrap something like the SLAs?
    I'm not saying you have to do all that, I'm saying it should be, at the end, as powerful as if you did all that.
    Also: looking at the Lammasu stat block now... what the H? The base Lammasu should be 8 levels, and then a 5 level golden protector PrC. I'm sorry, I didn't look at the Lammasu in the first place, and I'm kicking myself for that.