New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [3.5]Improved Monster Classes- Still Alive, and taking requests!

First of all, I've gotten the go-ahead to continue this thread from the mods, just so that there's no doubt as to whether this is by the rules.
    While I certainly didn't like Oslecamo, I love his work, so I'd like to keep the improved monster classes going, and now that I don't have to deal with him, my efforts will increase greatly. In general, we'll be keeping the same spirit, though I'll try to make it more democratic: while I'll still have the last say, having editing rights, I'll be as polite & civil as possible, and never rule out a creature or class or just do it myself if I don't like how it's done. Also, since I'm not the once who started the idea, I recognize my own fallibility: to a point, I'll have to concede to those who may know more than me.
    In other words, let's try to keep this thing going like nothing ever happened, eh?

Introduction
    As you may know, 3.5 allows you to play monsters as PCs, but with a cost: LA and RHD.

However, most monsters out there weren't designed for player use, and end up with fat LAs to keep the players away from powerfull abilities like greater teleport at will.

Plus, monsters with higher HD than CR also aren't very usefull for players.

And then, the players have to deal with many of their monster abilities don't improving with leveling up.

In this thread, we'll pick up popular monsters and re-design them to be useable by players, so that they can play any monster with CR X by level X. I'll acomplish this by:
    -Adjusting RHD to always match the player's level to so as not to punish/reward them against level dependent abilities.
    -Reducing huge ability bonuses and natural armor.
    -Making monster special abilities HD dependent so they keep increasing.
    -Cut down most abusable abilities to keep the power level in check. No stuff like at will teleport at level 5.

Monster classes building guidelines.
    I've edited a few of these to be more lenient- in general, if you're making the monster, you deserve some leeway. My additions are in bold.

Spoiler
    Show

0-Put your monster class into a post of his own, statistics spoilered, spoilered comments below and a non-spoilered picture above everything, monster name in bold. Put the ability descriptions by order they're gained and their names italized, the monster HD, skills and class features should be bolded. Use other monsters as guidelines.

1-Number of levels of the class=CR of the monster (or CR increase on case of template-classes). This is as simple as it gets. If the monster is epic CR then you can cut it down to 20 levels, though it's still okay to go into epic if you'd prefer- in that case, though, it's generally a good idea to give all of its important abilities by pre-epic. If the monster is less than CR 20 and you feel inspired then you can do some extra levels for some kind of "paragon" or "lord" monster with completely custom abilities- include these in a different statblock.

2-If it's not an undead or construct, then ignore the basic monster saves, skills, proficiencies and BAB progression. Use your own judgement to determine these- a huge, hulking outsider shouldn't have good reflex saves, etc. The more and/or better abilities, the worse saves/skills/BAB/proficiencies the monster should have.
    As for BAB: if a monster is very strong but not skilled, it should have a strength bonus every level and 3/4 BAB. If it is skilled but not strong, it should have more scant strength bonuses and full BAB. However, if it feels lacking, it's always okay to give both full strength bonuses & full BAB. After all, melee needs nice things too.

2a-If it's an undead or construct, no good fort or reflex saves, 2+int skill points per level and no class skills. Generally- exceptions are possible, but you have to have a really good reason. This is for balancing the powerful traits of those creature types. Constructs get average BAB and bad will saves and undead get bad BAB and good will saves. Ditto.

3-Monster classes remove any base race advantages at first level. Template classes do not. Take in acount this so 1st level of the monster class can be better than 1st level of most classes because you're sacrificing your race, roughly worth two-three feats.

4-Base natural armor on Con modifier. The default is Nat armor=Con modifier. Stronger monsters can have something like X+Con modifier (keep X low though), or half Con modifier. Undeads and constructs should base it on Str. For "smart" or "spellcaster" monsters you may make the Nat armor based on a mental score instead, but if it is fullcasting, don't use its spellcasting ability for natural armor.

5-Ability score increases shouldn't be more than +1 to any score in any level. You may take exceptions to this at 1st level in certain cases. No ability score penalties unless you have a really good reason.

5a-Speaking of which, try to base each monster class in two stats, three at max. Don't go around giving bonus to every one of the six stats, players really don't need it and it clogs up the class. If you feel like a monster should be smart, it's preferable to simply give it more skill points than Int boosts. Ability score bonuses should directly relate to the class- if the class doesn't use intelligence (other than for skill points), don't give it an intelligence bonus. If it doesn't use charisma, don't give it a charisma bonus. Etc.
    Generally, constitution is always okay to give, as is strength for a melee class or dexterity if it's applicable.

5b-Extra scores should only be used if the monster is gaining minor abilities or has bad base statistics (low Bab, saves, no proefeciencies, no hands).

6-Break down the monster abilities into separate groups, figure out the levels on which it would be fair for them to be available to a player, then distribute them through the monster levels so you gain something nice at every one. No dead levels, no levels where you only get ability scores. Period.

6a-Flying should only come at 4th level, unless you're a handless monster without ranged attacks, or anything crippling along those lines. Growth can come online as early at level 3, but it's preferable at 4th level or higher.
    See Hyruda's Wyvern's Leathery Wings ability if you feel you need some sort of flight before 4th level.

6b-Melees deserve nice things. Casters deserve bad things. DR should be equal to half your HD (except for really tough monsters like the iron golem, and even then it should be 1/2 HD initially, equal to HD later). SR should be 11+HD, or 10+HD+Ability score for monsters that are really supposed to be anti-casters like the Rakasha.
    If you feel the need for fullcasting on a monster, pare down the abilities. A lot. Generally, casting equal to the class levels minus one is the rule, but otherwise is certainly possible.

7-Make sure that most of the monster abilities scale with HD. DCs should always be 10+1/2 HD+stat (usually charisma or constitution) and the monster should gain more uses when it gains more HD. Yes, HD, not monster levels.

7a-Try to put in synergies with other classes, like the ogre mage's ability to gain extra caster level and higher level spells when it multiclasses. And again make several (but not all) of the abilities scale with HD and not necessarily monster class level (except for the strongest abilities).

Do not, however, use synergies with classes unavailable on the srd.

7b- Use At-Will SLAs very, very cautiously. Generally, the only times they should be used are if it is vital to the class, and not spammable.

7c-SLAs should sometimes auto-upgrade to stronger versions when the player reaches a certain HD. The prime example of this is Dispel Magic upgrading to Greater dispel magic at 11 HD, Summon monster X becoming X+1 every other level, or teleport becoming greater teleport. This should only be used for SLAs that become considerably weaker after a certain level. Dispel magic for example is capped at +10 CL so it stops growing after you reach 10 HD.

8-Compare with base classes. If it is as powerful as a rogue or barbarian or ranger, kick it up a notch: if it's as powerful as a druid, you've gone a little too far.
    Generally, the dragons are a good balance point, while the tarrasque, anthropomorphic animal or ghaele are as powerful as you should get.

8a-Compare with other monsters here of the same type/role. Naztharune Rakshasa is the base "roguish" monster for example.

9-If a certain monster has several versions (like the different age categories of each dragon), then it's ok to combine them all on the same class, but abilities of each "stage" of the monster should be gained at the apropriate level/CR. For example, the dragon classes grow at the levels corresponding at the CRs the actual monsters. On the other hand, the dragons get their best SLAs earlier because they wouldn't be much usefull if only gained at epic levels.

10-Faster than linear progression/low quadratic. Each level should give more than the last one, even if just a little.

10a-Don't be afraid to make custom abilities if the original monster doesn't have enough to fill all levels (check out the giants, harpy, or iron golem as prime examples of this). Keep them creative, in theme for the monster and fun, not necessarily powerfull. One simple idea is to allow the monster to partially ignore immunity to his main combat tactic. Also, granting choices such as the iron golem's upgrades or the harpy's song is always nice.

10b-On the same vein, monsters with really powerfull abilities should receive custom penalties/reductions, that are reduced as the character grows. The ghost, being undead and ethereal must carry his body around. The vampire must drink blood to fuel his powers. The Medusa's gaze starts weak and then improves until it reaches full power.

New Guidelines (will be periodically updated):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Please, please, please use proper spelling & punctuation. It makes things easier on all of us. Thank you.

Note: if I'm being a grammar nazi, please tell me, and I'll stop.

Post one class at a time: don't post a new monster while your first one is still being critiqued.

Make it fun, make it cool, give it options! Our goal here isn't to translate monsters into this class template, it's to make them fun and cool to play, so be creative, break rules, make something potent, unique, and a blast to play! Forget all the other rules in the thread before you forget this one.

Always question me. I'm fallible, and I'm a busy person. If I tell you to do something and you disagree with it, say so and why, and I'll listen to it without bias.

Unless specified otherwise, the BAB of a one or two level class is 3/4; if it is an undead only class, 1/2.

Beginners: for your 1st class, it's probably best to try something 3-8 levels long, with lots of balanced, flavorful abilities. Please don't cobble together a convoluted epic level class and expect me to critique it and revise it with much expediency.

FAQ:
    Spoiler
    Show

No ability penalties?
    Nope. Generally.

Do I need to take all the levels or can I just take what I want and then go to other class?

Just like a normal class, you can leave a monster class at any level and then even come back later if you wish. You aren't allowed to mix different monster classes together, however, except for PrCs, though sometimes it's interesting to combine them (with DM consent, of course). For example, in a gestalt game, I've seen a succubus/erinyes.

What's this lose all racial bonus thingy?
    Basicaly, these classes count as both initial race and class, so you can't be an human/ogre mage. You're just an ogre mage.

What's the Caster Level for the SLAs?

Unless otherwise specified, the Caster level for any SLAs is equal to your total HD.

Growth modifiers

Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]Base Size|New Size| AC & Attack Bonuses*|Space*|Reach (Tall/Long)*|Ave. Size Incr.|Ave. Weight Incr.|Grapple Mod.|Hide Mod.
    Fine|Diminutive|-4 (size)|+½’|+0’/+0’|+6”|+1/2 lb.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
    Diminutive|Tiny|-2 (size)|+1½’|+0’/+0’|+9”|+5 lbs.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
    Tiny|Small| -1 (size)|+2½’|+5’/+5’|+18”|+36 lbs.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
    Small|Medium| -1 (size)|+0’|+0’/+0’|+3’|+240 lbs.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
    Medium|Large|-1 (size)|+5’|+5’/+0’|+6’|+2000 lbs.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
    Large|Huge|-1 (size)|+5’|+5’/+5’|+12’|+8 tons|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
    Huge|Gargantuan|-2 (size)|+5’|+5’/+5’|+24’|+80 tons|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
    Gargantuan|Colossal|-4 (size)|+10’|+10’/+5’|+48’|+200 tons|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
    [/table]
    Kudos to the formerly uncredited Zeta Kai for the table.
    No you don't gain extra stats just for growing. It's not even listed on the table.
    Your natural weapons damage increases one die size for each size increase though.

Link to 1st thread
    Link to 2nd thread
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-11-19 at 10:19 PM.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Improved Monster Classes- Still Alive

Monsters done by alphabetical order:

Spoiler
    Show

Abishai-by Gorgondantess
    Aboleth
    Achaieraiby Gorgondantess
    Air elementalby AustontheGreat1
    Allipby Temotei
    Anaximby Draken
    Androsphynx
    Angel of Decayby Draken
    Annis Hag by Hyudra
    Anthropomorphic animal
    Aranea
    Arcanalothby Frog Dragon
    Arrow Demonby Cogidubnus
    Astral Constructby Sciencepanda
    Astral StalkerContributed by Fyrebyrd
    Awakened Monstrous Crabby Flabort.
    Awakened Skeleton
    Balor
    Beguilerby AustontheGreat1
    Beholderby AustontheGreat1
    Blink Dogby AustontheGreat1
    Brain in a jar by Draken
    Bralani(scroll down a little)by BelGareth
    BugBear by Crafty Cultist
    Centaur
    Cloud Giantby Hyudra
    Coatlby Kobold-Bard
    Cornugon (Horned Devil)-by Gorgondantess
    Daeva
    Death Drinker
    Death Knight(prc)by monkman
    Djinni
    Displacer Beastby Hyudra
    Doppelganger
    Dracotaurby monkman
    Dragonne
    Dream Larvaby Magicyop
    Driderby I_Am_An_Undead, revised by Lix Lorn
    Dryad-Contributed by Bodez.
    Duergarby Jallorn
    Earth Elemental by AustontheGreat1
    Entomberby Gorgondantess
    Entropic Reaper by Crafty_Cultist
    Erinyes
    Ettinby Temotei
    Evolved Undead (template)
    Feral Creatureby Niezck
    Firbolg
    Fire elementalby AustontheGreat1
    Flind Gnoll (PrC) By Gorgondantess
    Force Golemby Gorgondantess
    Forest Trollby Volthawk
    Fire giant by Hyudra
    Frost giantby Hyudra
    Gelatinous Cubeby Kobold-Bard
    Ghaele Eladrin
    Ghost
    Ghoul-contributed by CraftY_Cultist.
    Githzerai/Githyankiby Chumplump
    Glass Golemby Cogidubnus
    Gloom
    Gnoll
    Goristroby Monkman
    Gravetouched Ghoulby Hyudra
    Gray Jester
    Green Hagby ChumpLump
    Grimlock
    Griffon-by AustontheGreat1
    Gynosphynx-by VoltHawk.
    Half-celestial by Crafty_Cultist
    Half-dragon
    Half-Feyby Kobold Bard
    Half-fiend by Crafty_Cultist
    Half-Illithidby Crafty Cultist
    Half-Golem
    Half-troll by flabort
    Harpy[/list]by Hyudra
    Hell Houndby Crafty Cultist
    Hill giant-by Hyudra
    Hound archon
    Hook Horrorby Frog Dragon
    Horrid Monster (Template)by Hyudra
    Hydra
    Impby Hyudra
    Iron Golemby Gorgodantress
    Janniby Kobold-Bard
    Lantern Archonby Volthawk
    Leonalby BelGareth
    Lich(template) by Crafty_Cultist
    Lillend
    Kaortiby Crafty Cultist
    Kuo-Toaby Hyudra
    Kythonby Crafty_Cultist
    Kython, Impaler and Slaymasterby Crafty Cultist
    Kython, Slaughterkingby Crafty Cultist
    Kyton (Chain Devil)by ChumpLump
    Marilith
    Marrutactby Gorgodantress
    Marraenoloth (boatman of the river Styx)-by Gorgondantess
    Medusa and Choker
    Mimicby Sciencepanda
    Mind Flayer
    Minotaur(scroll down a little)
    Mephitby Hyudra
    Mezzolothby Frog Dragon
    Monster of Legend(prc)by Hyudra
    Movanic Deva
    Mummy
    MurderJackContributed by FlickerDart
    Nashrouby Makiru
    Nerra(mirror-people) by Draken
    Nimblewright:by Temotei
    Nixie
    Nycalothby Frog Dragon
    Nymph by Bodez.
    Ogre Mage
    Ogreby Hyudra
    Owlbearby Kobold-Bard
    Pegasusby FirebirdFlying
    phasm
    Phoelarchby AustontheGreat1
    Phoenixby My Predecessor, revised by AustontheGreat1
    Pit fiend
    Pixie by Aranii
    Planetouchedby Gorgodantress
    Pseudo-Dragonby Kobold-Bard
    Psionic Mindflayer by Gorgondantress
    Rakshasa
    Rakshasa, Naztharune by Gorgondantess
    Ravidby Kobold-Bard
    Red slaad
    Redcap by Draken
    Reptilians (Lizardfolk and Troglodyte)by Gorgondantess
    Reth Dekalaby Gorgondantess
    Roving Maulerby Makiru
    Rukanyrby Makiru
    Rust Monsterby Kobold-Bard
    Sahuaginby Crafty Cultist
    Saintby Magicyop
    Salamander
    ScorpionFolk by Frog Dragon
    Sea Hagby ChumpLump
    Shaedlingby Monkman, revised by Gorgondantess
    Silthilarby AustonTheGreat1
    Slaadby Trenelus
    Son/Daughter of silence
    Soulsparkby Niezck
    Succubus (scroll down a little)
    Spellwarped creature(prc) contributed by Frog Dragon
    Spell Weaverby Winter King
    Stone giantby Hyudra
    Styx DragonContributed by Kyuubi
    Sverfineblinby Chumplump
    Tarrasque
    Tengu
    Thri-Kreen
    Titanby Kobold Bard
    Treantby Niezck
    Troll
    Tsochar
    Ulitharid(prc)
    Unholy Scion (Template)by Monkman
    Unicornby FirebirdFlying
    Vampire
    Vargouille
    Vasuthant
    Vrockby Gorgondantess
    War Troll(prc)by monkman
    Water Elementalby AustontheGreat1
    Wightby Crafty Cultist
    Wild Hunt
    Will-O-Wispby Kobold-Bard
    Winged Templateby Niezck
    Winter Wolf by Frog Dragon
    Wyvernby Hyudra
    Xill(by ScionoftheVoid)
    Yuan-ti
    Zelekhut(inevitable)
    Zernby AustontheGreat1

Lycanthropes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    WereBearBy Crafty_Cultist
    WereHydracontributed by flabort
    WereLizardby un_known
    WereRhino & Werewhathaveyouby ChumpLump
    WereSnake and WereRatby ChumpLump
    WereSpiderby ChumpLump
    WereWeasel, WereShark and WereBasby ChumpLump
    WerewolfBy Crafty_Cultist

True Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blue Dragon
    Bronze Dragoncontributed by Gorgondantess
    Fang dragon by unknown
    Golden Dragon
    Green Dragonby un_known
    Red Dragon
    Purple dragon
    Pyroclastic dragon contributed by Kyuubi
    Silver Dragon
    White Dragonby un_known
    Wing Dragon
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-11-20 at 11:12 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

The way we'll be doing this is when someone makes a request, whoever calls dibs on it first gets to do the class. If noone calls dibs after a few weeks, I'll do it. If it isn't finished within a few weeks, I'll PM you: if I don't get a reply, I'll do it myself, though you have virtually unlimited time to finish a class. (this has become an infeasible option.)
    If somebody has called 'dibs', it's removed from the list: I expect you to do it, or tell me if you're never going to finish it. This is for indexing purposes, and so nobody steps on somebody else's toes.

Waiting List:
    Spoiler
    Show

Avoral
    Battle Dragon
    Barghest
    Concordant Killer
    Nightwalker
    Ultroloth
    Valkyrie
    Various Other Dragons
    Various Monsters from FF

Requests from Gorgondantess (too busy to make 'em now, but if YOU make them, you get cookies!)
    Joystealer
    Splinterwaif
    Verdant Prince

New Releases!:
    Phoelarch Now with phoenix down!
    Evolved Undead
    Daeva
    Saint- I think this is our first "good" template.
    Soulspark Our first incarnum using class, 100% OGL-compatible!
    Githzerai/Githyanki Our favorite PLA-slinging illithid haters, which don't have illithid slaying powers because those are just lame and totally situational.
    Water Elemental Rounding off the last of the elementals with my personal favorite.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-11-20 at 11:11 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, and if anyone has something from the old thread that hasn't been edited into the first post, now's the time to say it!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved Monster Classes- Still Alive, and taking requests!

Ah, could you also provide a list of monsters in the order they are written? It is easier to check and see that something new has been made and put on the list that way.
    Campaign:
    The Secret of Trottleburg IC OOC

Characters:
    Misrahi Laroux of The Times They Are A-Changing
    #14 of Frenzied Entourage
    Lilen Zheng of Trouble in Tashwell
    Wilbur Rustbreath of Starting a Blue Dawn
    Lilen Avatar by Darwin. The rest by me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't see the movanic deva. Are you planning on making your own?
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sciencepanda View Post
    Ah, could you also provide a list of monsters in the order they are written? It is easier to check and see that something new has been made and put on the list that way.
    I'd rather not: it would fill up posts realllly fast, and would just be annoying- indexing them logically is already a pain, chronologically would just give me a headache. How about I put up a "5 most recent" under the requests?

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    I don't see the movanic deva. Are you planning on making your own?
    Funny he never edited that one in... I figured he would've. I'll check it out: if it's good, well, I don't care who made the class, it's still a good class. If it's not, then I'll make one myself.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-10-01 at 06:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Yay for the new thread! Out of curiosity, why did Oslecamo get banned? I never really conversed with them or read any of their posts other than the monster classes, so I don't really care for any reason other than rubbernecking.

Here's a first monster request for the new thread: How about a Dream Larva? Sorry, I know that's kind of a doozy! Thanks very much.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

Many thanks to Qwernt for my amazing mind flayer avatar!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magicyop View Post
    Yay for the new thread! Out of curiosity, why did Oslecamo get banned? I never really conversed with them or read any of their posts other than the monster classes, so I don't really care for any reason other than rubbernecking.

Here's a first monster request for the new thread: How about a Dream Larva? Sorry, I know that's kind of a doozy! Thanks very much.
    I believe it's against forum rules to discussed banned posters.
    As for the dream larva: I certainly hope someone pounces on that.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    I believe it's against forum rules to discussed banned posters.
    As for the dream larva: I certainly hope someone pounces on that.
    Oh, oop! I didn't know that! Sorry, I didn't know that I wasn't allowed to discuss banned posters. Forget I said anything...

Me too! I've always thought it would be epic to run around as a dream larva... I can sort of imagine it as a 'never being observed' thing, because of Worst Nightmare, you would have to constantly be out of sight from people you care about.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Me too! I've always thought it would be epic to run around as a dream larva... I can sort of imagine it as a 'never being observed' thing, because of Worst Nightmare, you would have to constantly be out of sight from people you care about.
    Yeah... that's gonna be suppressible.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

A while ago I tried making the Beguiler monster class. It seems to be finished and it was never added to the list. This is it, if you'd like to check it out.

13. - Top - End - #13

Yeah... that's gonna be suppressible.
    Well, but it'd be kind of interesting if it wasn't-- imagine playing a character who can never be observed doing cool stuff. "Well, I ASSUME he's dashing, powerful, and dangerous... but I've never seen it personally, so..."
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AustontheGreat1 View Post
    A while ago I tried making the Beguiler monster class. It seems to be finished and it was never added to the list. This is it, if you'd like to check it out.
    A few things:
    Unspoiler the picture.
    Also, the wording on true sight is weird... 'check' is normally used for skill checks: just call it saves.
    You say in the text it gets +2 to dexterity, but in the table +1. I'd go for +1, but it's your choice.
    Anyways, I'll just edit it in now: I'm counting on you to make those edits.

Well, but it'd be kind of interesting if it wasn't-- imagine playing a character who can never be observed doing cool stuff. "Well, I ASSUME he's dashing, powerful, and dangerous... but I've never seen it personally, so..."
    Uh, interesting, but not exactly playable. Our goal here is to make the classes accessible to everyone.

15. - Top - End - #15

Well, yeah, okay, good point.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe there was an Arcanaloth class toward the end of the first thread that was never added to the list. Sorry I can't be more specific, I need to dash!

Good stuff keeping this going!
    Dragonborn Gnome avatar by the ever-lovely Derjuin!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Niezck View Post
    I believe there was an Arcanaloth class toward the end of the first thread that was never added to the list. Sorry I can't be more specific, I need to dash!
    Nnnnope. Not that I'm aware of.

Good stuff keeping this going!
    Well, I'm glad I'm getting a positive reception. If anyone prefers how Oslecamo was doing things at all, or are unhappy with how I'm doing things, please tell me and I'm sure we can reach a compromise.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Well if there's not an Arcanaloth and Ultraloth classes their should be. Not as iconic as Balors and Pit Fiends but still Ultraloths were always epic in 2e.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

19. - Top - End - #19

Goristro
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |+1Str,+1 Con,Goristro body

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |+1Con, Infernal Summoning

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    | +1 Str,+1 Con, From The Abyss

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |,+1 Con, Growth

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |+1Str,+1 Con, Stamp

6th|
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |+1 Con, Rock Throwing

7th|
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |+1Str,+1 Con, Trample

8th|
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |+1 Con, Growth

9th|
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |+1Str,+1 Con, See invisblity

10th|
    +10
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |+1 Con, Creature of the abyss

11th|
    +11
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |+1Str,+1 Con, Roar

12th|
    +12
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |+1 Con, Growth

13th|
    +13
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |+1str,+1 Con, Great slams [/table]
    HD=D12
    2 Skill points+int per level quadruple at 1st level. Class skills Balance Climb, Intimidate ,Jump, Listen and Spot

Proficiencies A goristro is profient with his natural attack , simple and martial weapons

Goristro body:The goristro loses all other racial bonus and gains outsider traits (basically darkvision 60 feets). It's a medium sized outsider with base 40 feets and two natural slam attacks dealing 1d8 damage each.
    A Goristro gains natural armor equal to his con modifier

Infernal Summoning: At 2nd level, the goristro gains the ability to summon its brethren. Once per day the goristro can cast Summon Monster I as an SLA, with a duration of 1 minute/level instead of 1 round/level. Every 2 class levels from there on, it progresses to the next summon monster spell, culminating at Summon Monster VI at level 12. HD outside from goristro HD count as 1/2 class levels for this purpose, so with 12 levels of goristro and 6 levels of anything else, the goristro can get up to Summon Monster VIII. With 13 levels of Goristro and 20 HD, the Goristro can cast Summon Monster IX.
    The goristro can only summon CE or NE monsters

From The Abyss Comming from the abyss a goristro learns how to shrug off pain and learns how to resist spells. He gains spell resistance equal to 11+HD and Damage reduction/sliver or good equal to half his HD.

Growth: At 4th lv a Goristro grows to large size.
    At 8th lv a Goristro grows to huge size.
    At 12th lv a goristro grows to gargantuan size.
    At 20th Lv a gorsitro grows to collosal size.
    Every time there is a size increase, the base movement speed increases by 10ft.

Creature of the abyssA goristro has spent alot of time in the abyss and he has learned diffrent techinques to shrug of pain. He gains Dr silver and good equal to his HD

Trample Trample: At ninth level, as a full-round action, The Goristro can move up to twice his speed and literally run over any opponents at least one size category smaller than itself. The goristro merely has to move over the opponents in its path; any creature whose space is completely covered by the Goristro's space is subject to the trample attack. If a target’s space is larger than 5 feet, it is only considered trampled if the Goristro moves over all the squares it occupies.

A trample attack deals bludgeoning damage (the Goristro’s slam damage + 1½ times his Str modifier).

Trampled opponents can attempt attacks of opportunity, but these take a -4 penalty. If they do not make attacks of opportunity, trampled opponents can attempt Reflex saves to take half damage.

The save DC against the Goristro's trample attack is 10 + ½ Goristro's HD + Goristro’s Str modifier. The Goristro can only deal trampling damage to each target once per round, no matter how many times its movement takes it over a target creature.

See invisibility A goristro has the constant effect of see invisibility.

Stomp: 1 time per 3 HD per day, a Goristro can stamp on the floor, it creates a shock wave of 10ft aurond the gorsitro and it damages as much as a slam attack to evirone in the perimeter. If a creaure is hit, they must make a balance check(10+1/2HD+str modifier) or fall down and become prone. If there is a creature larger or the same size than the goristro then this has no effect.

Rock throwing At 7thlevel, the goristro may begin throwing boulders or other large objects. A goristro at least large size can hurl rocks weighing 40 to 50 pounds each (Small objects) up to 900 feet. A Huge goristro can hurl rocks of 60 to 80 pounds (Medium objects). A Gargantuan goristro can hurl rocks of 90 to 120 pounds (large objects).

Roar A goristro's roar cause 1d6 sonic damage per 2 hd to enemies. The enemies must allows make a will save equal to 10+1/2HD+ Cha .If lower then half the goristro's HD, if the enemy fail's he is panicked, if they succeed , they are shaken. If an enemy of more then half the goristro's HD fails, they are shaken, If they succeed nothing happens. This only affect's enemies. A goristro can ultilise this ability 1 time per day per 3 HD. It is considered a full round acttion.

Great slams: The slam attack are considered 2 handed weapons for purpose of applying extra damage from his strength bonus and from abilities like power attack
    Last edited by monkman; 2010-10-03 at 12:25 PM.
    awesome avatar made by Trazoi
    Totem Cleric:A divine fighter that uses a totem which empowers him.

I will not have as much acces to a computer so I will not post as much.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, that would work. Capitalization and punctuation too! Make it look nice, professional, like you really put work into it- make it flow, make it all nice and neat and orderly.
    The abilities could use some rewording to make them flow better as well.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-10-01 at 07:41 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, didn't have to dash after all.

Arcanaloth
    Dragonborn Gnome avatar by the ever-lovely Derjuin!

22. - Top - End - #22

One new rule: please, please, please use proper spelling & punctuation. It makes things easier on all of us. Thank you.
    Thank you for this, by the way. My eyes just about melted the first time I saw "proefeciencies."
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

23. - Top - End - #23

what would be the damage?The number of rounds and the stat
    it's a lv 12 ability
    Roar a goristro's roar cause XdX sonic damage to enemies. the enemies must allows make a will save equal to 10+1/HD+ Xstat.A goritro can use this abiliy every XDX turns. If lower then half the goristro's HD, if the enemy fail's he is panicked,if they succed , they are shaken. If a enemy of more then half the goristro's HD fails, they are shaken, If they succed nothing happens. this only affect's enemies
    Last edited by monkman; 2010-10-01 at 07:48 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Thank you for this, by the way. My eyes just about melted the first time I saw "proefeciencies."
    Yeah... same here.
    I really wish I had editing rights for Oslecamo's posts: I'd clean them all up, just to get rid of that horrid butchering. Alas, we'll just have to deal with it.

@Niezck: Thanks! My, that was all the way back in the 1st thread. Don't really see why Oslecamo didn't pick it up.

@Monkman: That's for you to decide. Just make it scale. Probably charisma for the save, though.
    Also, it would be nice if you not only used proper spelling, capitalization & punctuation in the class, but in your posts as well. Unless you're dyslexic, it just makes everything easier on me (and this is already turning out to be quite a handful) and makes you look much more intelligent. Please.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-10-01 at 07:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Yeah... same here.
    I really wish I had editing rights for Oslecamo's posts: I'd clean them all up, just to get rid of that horrid butchering. Alas, we'll just have to deal with it.

@Niezck: Thanks! My, that was all the way back in the 1st thread. Don't really see why Oslecamo didn't pick it up.
    Bah! I wish I had editing rights for EVERYONE'S posts... I'd just go through the forums all day correcting spelling and grammar.

I mean, typos are fine. Everyone makes them. But that level of disregard for the english language and that much lack of desire to make a professional looking piece of art(Yes, I consider homebrew to be art) just frustrates me no end.

Can anyone try their hand at making a monster class, or do you have to register or something?
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-10-01 at 07:48 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Bah! I wish I had editing rights for EVERYONE'S posts... I'd just go through the forums all day correcting spelling and grammar.

I mean, typos are fine. Everyone makes them. But that level of disregard for the english language and that much lack of desire to make a professional looking piece of art(Yes, I consider homebrew to be art) just frustrates me no end.
    Ahhh, a kindred soul.

27. - Top - End - #27

@ evirone, i got the Goristro on word and im correcting. It WILL not have as much errors.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Can anyone try their hand at making a monster class, or do you have to register or something?
    I'm pretty sure anyone can at any time. Oslecamo did that for many of his classes.

Quote Originally Posted by monkman View Post
    @ evirone, i got the Goristro on word and im correcting. It WILL not have as much errors.
    Make sure you proofread it. Spell check is okay to check for stupid errors, but it will often try to change something you don't want changed, or miss things you do want changed.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-10-01 at 07:56 PM.
    Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm pretty sure anyone can at any time. Oslecamo did that for many of his classes.
    This. You're allowed to post whatever you want- this is a public forum, after all. However, I'd advise you read the guidelines first, as I have last say on what goes in the list. However, in general, I'll try to be more lenient than my predecessor.

Make sure you proofread it. Spell check is okay to check for stupid errors, but it will often try to change something you don't want changed, or miss things you do want changed.
    Don't worry- it seems Magicyop is a fellow grammar nazi.

30. - Top - End - #30

Don't worry- it seems Magicyop is a fellow grammar nazi.
    Heil Dictionary!

If no one steps up to the plate on Dream Larva, I might try making one myself. Not sure how good it would be, but...
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-10-01 at 08:04 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew: