New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved Monster Classes- Still Alive, and taking requests!

Well, different modes of movement are aways nice. Maybe a drill for a burrow speed? Jetpack for flight speed? Something else for swim speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

2. - Top - End - #962
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rumel View Post
    The WereScorpion

Class
    Spoiler
    Show
    Prerequisites
    To become a WereScorpion, the character must meet the following requirements

Race: Any medium or large humanoid or giant
    Special:Must have been injured by the natural attack of another WereScorpion and contracted lycanthropy.
    HD:d8
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Alternate form(Scorpion), Scorpion Empathy, Lunar body, Poison
    2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Alternate form(hybrid), Scorpion Traits
    3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Growth, Greater Scorpion, Improved Grab
    4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Curse of lycanthropy, Sharpened Tail [/table]
    Skills: 2+int mod. Class skills are Intimidate (Cha), jump (Str), hide (Dex), listen (Wis), move silently (Dex), spot (Wis), survival (Wis), Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Tumble (Dex).

Proficiencies: A WereScorpion gains proficiency with their own natural weapons

Features:

Lunar body(ex): WereScorpions retain old racial modifiers and gain the Shapechanger subtype. They gain low-light vision if they did not already possess it.

A WereScorpion gains natural armor equal to its Con bonus while in Scorpion or hybrid form. While in humanoid form their natural armor is equal to half their Con bonus

Scorpion Empathy: a WereScorpion can communicate with Scorpion like beasts and Magical Scorpion like beasts, regardless of form and gains a +4 bonus on charisma based checks to influence them.

Alternate Form (Su): At first level, a WereScorpion can take Monstrous Scorpion form. While in Scorpion form, a WereScorpion cannot use weapons, because of his giant claws, but gains two claw attacks dealing 1d6+Str Mod damage and a sting attack dealing 1d8+Str mod piercing damage. A WereScorpion can transform 1/day/HD, and can remain transformed indefinitely.

For every level in WereScorpion, or for every two in another class, the WereScorpion's alternate form improves as shown below
    {table]WereScorpion level+1/2 other levels | Ability improvements
    1|+1 Dex
    2|+1 Dex, +1 Con
    3|+2 Dex, +1 Con
    4|+2 Dex, +2 Con
    5|+3 Dex, +2 Con
    6|+3 Dex, +3 Con
    7|+4 Dex, +3 Con
    8|+4 Dex, +4 Con
    9|+5 Dex, +4 Con
    10|+5 Dex, +5 Con
    11|+6 Dex, +5 Con
    12|+6 Dex, +6 Con [/table]

At second level, a WereScorpion can assume hybrid form. While in hybrid form, a WereScorpion gains two claw attacks for 1d6+Str mod damage each and a sting attack dealing 1d8+Str mod damage, and can wield any weapons they could use in humanoid form. Both alternate forms are medium sized, regardless of the creature's humanoid size.

Poison: At 1st level a WereScorpion gains a poison dealing 1d4+1as initial damage and 2d4+2 as secondary damage Con damage. A Fortifacation save negates. DC= 10+1/2HD+Con mod. It has enough venom to do this 1/day/HD, and must be injected with his sting attack.

Scorpion Traits: a WereScorpion gains a bonus to Jump and Climb equal to 1/2 his HD. Also, he gains Weapon Finnese as a bonus feat for all of his natural weapons.

Growth: At 3rd level, a WereScorpion's alternate forms become Large.

A WereScorpion of 12 HD or more may choose to become Huge by expending two normal transformations.

A WereScorpion of 16 HD or more may choose to become Gargantuan by expending three normal transformations.

A WereScorpion of 20 HD or more may choose to become Collosal by expending four normal transformations.

Improved Grab A WereScorpion may make a grapple attempt whenever he makes an attack with his claws and does not cause an AoO from the person being grappled. He may hold a creature no more than his size category.

Greater Scorpion: A WereScorpion gains benefits from his powers. He may replace his Str mod with Dex for damage with his tail (and may add it to his claws at 12 HD). He gains a bonus to Jump and Climb equal to his HD. Also, he gains a bonus attack and damage equal to 1/4 his HD (Min= +1).

Curse of lycanthropy: At 4th level a WereScorpion can transmit lycanthropy to other creatures. If a medium or large humanoid or giant is hit by their natural attacks while they are in alternate form, the creature must make a fortitude save(DC10+1/2HD+Con modifier) or contract lycanthropy. For more information on lycanthropy, check the lycanthrope entry in the monster manual.

Sharpened Tail:
    At 3rd level a WereScorpion’s tail becomes even more deadly. Their tail improves by one size category. It also gains an improved reach of +5ft every 10hd to a max of +15ft at 20 HD, but loses 5ft of the bonus every size category below small.

CHANGELOG:
    Spoiler
    Show
    •Quick Tail now maxes at 1/3 HD

•Size returned to growing Larger

•Threw in improved grab just because it felt right

•Gave 2 natural attacks and adjusted damage...(my bad for forgetting)

•Got rid of quick tail and totally drained Scorpion Power of nearly all abilities.

•Invented "Drain"

•Changed according to ChumpLump's notes
    Ok... Changed everything. (thanks to ChumpLump for all the help)

Would someone like to take over the Osyluth for me? It's a little too hard for me... I don't know what to add...
    Last edited by Rumel; 2010-11-06 at 11:23 PM.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ettin in the Playground

Ohkay.
    General Rule: Can I get people to stop quoting their classes & instead linking to them? I don't like getting links to a quoted class: I want the original post.

Water Elemental: Note that I have not & don't intend to read the other elemental classes. They were made before I inherited the project, so I didn't have to read them, and I never wanted to play one, so I never read it. Sorry, but it's just not my cup o' joe.
    Anyways, the reason I'm saying this is that, because of it, I'll be judging it as a standalone class- I might offer suggestions to make it far weaker or stronger than the other elementals, and I won't know, so just bear with me.

First of all: say it with me. No non-OGL material. You made the class before that mantra was very common, so I'll forgive you, but it's still there.
    Also, giving bonus feats as a class ability is just bad form. They're like ability score adjustments: meant to pad the class, not fill it. I advise you do with those what you did with wings of fire for the phoelarch.
    I find it odd it can wear equipment & such, but, eh. Not going to make a big thing about it.
    Whirlpool: Ummm... did you mean to say strength score or modifier in the DC? Because that is a very, very important distinction.
    I'd make being caught in the whirlpool a bit more destructive: just for starters, make the concentration check DC similar to the reflex save. Actually make 'em work for it, eh?
    Also, have them instantly start drowning if they're not water-breathing, fail all swim checks, and something on capsizing ships & such.
    I like torrent. It's simple (albeit perhaps too simple) and potent.
    Rip current: Kinda lame. Relinquishing a weapon is a free action? How about a full round action or a move action that provokes AoO's?
    Crashing wave: something I've been noticing is rather flat damages & such. Why not add the water elemental's str mod? Hell, what with the low base damage, it wouldn't be TOO out of line to add up to twice the str mod. Then again, might then be better than slams... figure it out.
    Anyways, would be best to specify something about AoO's with regard to this ability.
    Flash flood: Just make creatures who fail the save be knocked prone. That's all. And specify what the save is.
    Otherwise, looks... okay. I'd look up the spell amorphous form (I think that's it) and give something similar as an (ex) ability, permanent. It's living water, after all.
    Improved Grapple wouldn't be out of line, for conjunction with drown.
    Wave stride could upgrade to teleport & even plane shift.
    Freedom of movement, maybe? At a later level.
    Another cool ability might be to disperse into water & sink into the soil- give it a burrow speed for specific sorts of loose ground, not going more than 10 feet down.
    Oh, and the slams need to specify how much +str they get. It's probably just +str, but always good to make sure.

Dream Larva: I know I'm being finicky, but you don't need to state things that are stated in the growth table. Body of nightmares doesn't need to specify the natural weapon damage growth. Nor do claws or pincers or anything else. Okay?
    Soporific Touch: Just how can it be used in conjunction with a melee attack? Specify. No more than once per round, please.
    Claws & Pincers: Give claws earlier. Get pincers later. Claws would be okay as early as level 2. I'd advise 4th level, however, because just getting SR is rather bland for a whole level's investment.
    Flashing Colors needs a DC.
    Other than that, looks good! Whee! Make those adjustments, and I think I can add it.

Phoelarch: I like the new mechanic! I'd state that it works on all creatures, regardless of type. Raise Dead's punishment is already great enough. Also, you don't really state how long it takes to take effect... instantaneous wouldn't do, as they might be killed twice in the middle of a full attack routine: make it a little grandoise, eh? Have them burst into flame for ten minutes, dealing a certain simple amount of damage to all within 5 feet, and then at the end of this they're a pile of ash that reforms their body slowly over another ten minutes.
    Also, it should scale better. Resurrection as opposed to raise dead by 15 HD, maybe True Resurrection by 20 HD, and have the uses scale quicker- likely once/day by 20 HD. Something along those lines

Black Dragon:
    Home conversion:... it doesn't ready spells.
    Why didn't you apply my suggestion for grim withering? If you forgot, I said that it would be more applicable as something more like the pseudonatural template's alternate form: rather than a simple penalty, make it a penalty to all attacks against the dragon itself.
    I'd give acidic nightmare a little earlier, make it at will (as it's still using up the create/destroy water) and then make it permanent.
    Why didn't you take my suggestion for One With The Black Waters? I thought it was too situational, so I advised giving hide in plain sight in shadowy illumination or less, as well as in any sort of water. Also, you can just say hide in plain sight: it's an ability like evasion or the like, everyone knows what it does and if they don't they can look it up.
    Why didn't you take my suggestion on drenched in acid? I advised making it more like the monster of legend's raging blood, sans the raging. The problem with it as is is that it requires too much rolling and has too little effect for the rolling: HD/2 acid damage is 10 damage at level 20. Even if it's not immune to 10 damage (which most enemies will be) it's a truly pitiful number.
    You can do away with acid rain, as 19th level already gets enough, though you still didn't take my suggestions on that.
    You also didn't take my suggestions on Kaizer, which I really don't like as is.
    Also, you need to clean up the table. You want the abilities in the text in the same order you get them in the table, you need them matched up, and ability scores always come last.

The EWP feats for Dwarven Waraxe and Bastard Sword have an additional prerequisite of 13 Str. I chose them because they were both one handed slashing weapons.

The focus on slashing weapons general is a reflection of the actual monster the class is based from. In the entry themselves they can only rend with their longswords, which is noted as their only typical possession. I expanded that to slashing weapons in general for the class for some more flexibility while giving some consideration for the monster itself.

I have no qualms with expanding Blade Rend to all weapons (though rending with a pair of clubs would be weird).
    Oh well. Please do extend it to all one handed weapons, and give it just an EWP with any might or one handed weapon.

I could get behind straight-up pounce and automatically confirming crits but I feel the capstone should be something a bit more interesting... Maybe retain the morale bonus in some form, granting it whenever she drops of foe in melee? Like a stacking +1 bonus and only if the dropped target is a threat of a high enough CR to award exp for defeating.
    Lemme tell you something: numerical bonuses are not interesting. At all. Abilities like pounce and automatically confirming crit threats are much more interesting. Trust me on this one.

Brass Golem: I don't like the built with purpose ability. You can keep it, but I don't like it.
    I like the new resilience: it fits the "purpose" ability.
    Perfect Edge: It's powerful enough without adding to the hunter's weapon's critical multiplier. I'd shudder to see that on an impact greathammer.
    Specify with play theseus "as a move action a number of times per day equal to its HD."
    Re-Forged Purpose: Again, there's an OGL ability that mimcks that perfectly, and using it would allow for good PrCing potential.
    Otherwise, looks OK.

Werescorpion:
    Spoiler
    Show

Wording could use cleaning up.
    Is the daily uses for poison standard for Lycanthropes? If not, don't use it.
    Sharpened tail needs cleaning up. Something like:
    At 4th level, the WereScorpion's sting attack damage increases by one step. In addition, it gains an additional 5 feet of reach with the attack for every 5 HD it has, up to +20' reach at level 20.
    Greater scorpion needs rewording on the dex-to-damage. Also, just gaining a flat bonus to attacks & damage is not good.
    Chumplump: Any more critiquing on this one?

Maug:
    I'd advise giving a graft at just 2nd level. Now, for the grafts...
    Nobody uses locking gauntlets, and considering the other goodies offered by the grafts, it's pretty useless, honestly.
    Generally, giving penalties with stuff like this is not a good idea, so I'd remove rollers.
    Shoving arm is just... weird.
    Also, I said to take inspiration from the golem's upgrades, not to copy them. Most are far more powerful than what the maug should have: I'd power down wrist razors (just slashing & piercing and increasing damage by one step).
    Stone Spitter: Just give it a ranged attack that deals such and such bludgeoning damage, such and such range, such and such critical threat/multiplier. Nice & simple.
    Long Legs was kinda silly, admittedly, though you can keep it if you want.
    Voicebox is not thematically appropriate.
    Anyways, I'd remove the "additional applications of the upgrade" abilities if it's just going to be one graft.

Saint: The chassis is a bit powerful. Choose two of the following:
    Reduce BAB to 3/4.
    Remove one good save.
    Remove 2 ability score bonuses.

DR, fast healing, resistances, etc. are not covered under body. Give them a separate ability. It's enough to just state "DR/Evil". When there's a standard format, use it unless you have a good reason not to (though I'm all for it if you do).
    The globe... I'd set it to spells of a level equal to (1/2 HD)-3. That way you're not totally immune to all spells all the time- just weaker ones.
    Calming Touch: There's a spell for that!
    Otherwise, looks okay!

Cheshire Cat:
    I would love it if you stated that the level 3 concealment makes it totally invisible except for a floating grin.
    I'm Not Really Here: SDA's work on everything (well, everything but other SDA's)... though I'd let immunity even to those slide at 30 HD.
    Wouldn't be awful if you gave it good reflex saves, or maybe a bonus to charisma & dexterity. It is a cat, after all. Just +1.
    Also... handle humanoid is a no. Sorry.

Death Knight: You know how I always say that the guidelines should be followed unless you have a good reason not to? This is one of those good reasons not to. I'd advise you scrap the strength bonuses and give it full BAB.
    Death Touch: I don't like the save if it's going to be channeled through melee attacks. It's also a bit powerful to be channeled through melee attacks, especially as a 1st level ability.
    Abyssal Blast: You can always just say it's a fireball SLA then go on to say half the damage is fire damage and half is divine.
    Natural armor should fall under body, and state what happens if it already has natural armor. Include if it already has natural armor based on con.
    Immunities: Resistance to cold=HD.
    For undead followers or mount, just saying it gets animate dead as an SLA is quite serviceable and much less potential to be broken.

Oslyuth: Variety! The ability score bonuses should be spread amongst 2 or 3 of strength, dexterity & constitution.
    Poison needs rewording.
    Okay... wall of ice. Do you understand what's wrong with that ability? Specifically, the level it's gained at? Also, minor image, teleport and greater teleport.
    Look at the cornugon, and find the "devil" ability. All devils gain this, and at 2nd level. They then gain their DR & SR at 3rd level. It's standardized for efficiency's sake, and unless you have a good reason not to use it, use it.
    Check out the cornugon's fear aura. Copy it. Iz good. Actually, just check out the cornugon. Iz good.
    Minions... what? That ability is just absurd. It needs to be actually thought out, y'know? And greater minions is no better- it effectively triples his power.
    It... well, it's honestly a mess. Pretty much all of the abilities need a serious overhaul. Also,
    Spoiler
    Show

Now the Osynuse may use Gearter Invisibility 1/day/2HD
    If you're not going to bother looking over your own class or spellchecking or seriously thinking out your abilities, please don't post here. I mean this totally without rancor, but I really want to see effort in these classes, and I'm just not seeing it in the Osyluth.

Shade:
    Spoiler
    Show

Again, I'm going to have to cut you off on the "+1 level of existing class features". That shows a dearth of effort in the class, that you need to be tacking on previous class features to make it worthwhile.
    All good saves is a bit much... do you have a good reason for it? I'm not saying "NO!", but you have to seriously think about things like that.
    Specify about undead or constructs taking the class & the type change, or ban it.
    Shadowsight should fall under the body ability.
    Dark Deflection... looks like a pain to keep track of. Why not make it concealment?
    Sting of Shadows: Remove it. No flat, flavorless bonuses like that. It's like plain lumpy potatoes: it's not very flavorful, its texture is bad, and it'll fill you up, but even then it's without good stuff like vitamins (or in this case versatility).
    We use HD & class level here. Class level refers to levels in the class at hand, and only the class at hand; HD refers to everything else. What kind of action is control light?
    We put the ability scores last on the table, just for reference's sake.
    Also, while you'll be removing the ability, I'll say it anyways: generally, we put the 1st time you get a scaling ability in the table, and that's it: if it scales, we say so in the text, not the table. Reduces clutter, since most abilities scale.

Illurien: Best to state the SLAs gained in the table, if they're infrequent enough.
    I'd rather see +8 intelligence and +4 strength... but that's just me. Some nice, round numbers, eh?
    All save DCs should be based off of intelligence.
    Looks okay, so far. I like what you've done. Keep at it!
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

4. - Top - End - #964
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post

Illurien: Best to state the SLAs gained in the table, if they're infrequent enough.
    I'd rather see +8 intelligence and +4 strength... but that's just me. Some nice, round numbers, eh?
    All save DCs should be based off of intelligence.
    Looks okay, so far. I like what you've done. Keep at it!
    I mainly did the save DCs based off of Charisma since that's what the original class has and I didn't want this class to be too SAD.

As far as stats, go, I could change them around. I like round numbers too.

I don't know that the SLA part needs changed. You get new ones at level 2,4,6,10 and 12 and you usually get 2.

And when you say keep at it do you mean keep at monster classes or Illurien? because after these changes and the SR/DR being put in, I think that's going to be about my limit for her.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    I mainly did the save DCs based off of Charisma since that's what the original class has and I didn't want this class to be too SAD.

As far as stats, go, I could change them around. I like round numbers too.

I don't know that the SLA part needs changed. You get new ones at level 2,4,6,10 and 12 and you usually get 2.

And when you say keep at it do you mean keep at monster classes or Illurien? because after these changes and the SR/DR being put in, I think that's going to be about my limit for her.
    Illurien. What you've done so far is fine, I'm sure you can finish it... and, really, the last thing you want to do is offload it onto me. If I can't finish evolved undead, I'll never be able to finish Illurien.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground

Illurien. What you've done so far is fine, I'm sure you can finish it... and, really, the last thing you want to do is offload it onto me. If I can't finish evolved undead, I'll never be able to finish Illurien.
    Yeah, I don't want to offload it onto you.

Is there anything in particular you think she's missing?

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I don't want to offload it onto you.

Is there anything in particular you think she's missing?
    Being finished?

8. - Top - End - #968
    Titan in the Playground

Being finished?
    Well, if she's not finished once I make the suggested changes there isn't much else I can do without ideas.

EDIT: You don't have to come up with anything. Somebody will make a suggestion or I'll find an ability eventually.

Unless you just meant make the changes and she'll be finished. In which case never mind.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-11-07 at 02:22 AM.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Barbarian in the Playground

Death Touch: I don't like the save if it's going to be channeled through melee attacks. It's also a bit powerful to be channeled through melee attacks, especially as a 1st level ability.
    At first level it has to be a touch, at 3rd it goes through weapons.Is that good?
    Natural armor should fall under body, and state what happens if it already has natural armor.
    If a creature already has Natural armor it increase by 2. And for
    Include if it already has natural armor based on con
    I'm at lost,what would you do for this?

For undead followers or mount, just saying it gets animate dead as an SLA is quite serviceable and much less potential to be broken.
    hmmm, I kinda agaisnt this.Why? Beacuse it takes away one of the best abilties of the death knight. With out it a death knight only get a 1d8 vs living,a fireball and animate dead spell as a SLA. Why would people even take it then?Personnaly i wouldnt take it if I had to take out the Undead followers or mount.
    Last edited by monkman; 2010-11-07 at 03:19 AM.
    awesome avatar made by Trazoi
    Totem Cleric:A divine fighter that uses a totem which empowers him.

I will not have as much acces to a computer so I will not post as much.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #970
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to bed. If there are any suggestions I'll look at them tomorrow. For now, I think I've gotten all the changes put in.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, speaking of undead, guess what I finished?
    Critique would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by monkman View Post
    At first level it has to be a touch, at 3rd it goes through weapons.Is that good?
    I suppose.
    If a creature already has Natural armor it increase by 2. And for
    Got cut off there.

I'm at lost,what would you do for this?
    Well, change it to str and then give it +2 natural armor.

hmmm, I kinda agaisnt this.Why? Beacuse it takes away one of the best abilties of the death knight.people. With out it a death knight only get a 1d8 vs living,a fireball and animate dead spell as a SLA. Why would people even take it then?Personnaly i wouldnt take it if I had to take out the Undead followers or mount.
    Actually, it does not. I meant to keep the options of either the mount or the SLA, as the undead followers is essentially identical to the animate dead SLA, except usually less powerful but at the same time more abusable (as it's rather broad- you could potentially get an army of incorporeals and vampires and all sorts of nasty low-HD-high-CR creatures).

12. - Top - End - #972
    Orc in the Playground

Water Elemental: Note that I have not & don't intend to read the other elemental classes. They were made before I inherited the project, so I didn't have to read them, and I never wanted to play one, so I never read it. Sorry, but it's just not my cup o' joe.
    Anyways, the reason I'm saying this is that, because of it, I'll be judging it as a standalone class- I might offer suggestions to make it far weaker or stronger than the other elementals, and I won't know, so just bear with me.

First of all: say it with me. No non-OGL material. You made the class before that mantra was very common, so I'll forgive you, but it's still there.
    Also, giving bonus feats as a class ability is just bad form. They're like ability score adjustments: meant to pad the class, not fill it. I advise you do with those what you did with wings of fire for the phoelarch.
    I find it odd it can wear equipment & such, but, eh. Not going to make a big thing about it.
    Whirlpool: Ummm... did you mean to say strength score or modifier in the DC? Because that is a very, very important distinction.
    I'd make being caught in the whirlpool a bit more destructive: just for starters, make the concentration check DC similar to the reflex save. Actually make 'em work for it, eh?
    Also, have them instantly start drowning if they're not water-breathing, fail all swim checks, and something on capsizing ships & such.
    I like torrent. It's simple (albeit perhaps too simple) and potent.
    Rip current: Kinda lame. Relinquishing a weapon is a free action? How about a full round action or a move action that provokes AoO's?
    Crashing wave: something I've been noticing is rather flat damages & such. Why not add the water elemental's str mod? Hell, what with the low base damage, it wouldn't be TOO out of line to add up to twice the str mod. Then again, might then be better than slams... figure it out.
    Anyways, would be best to specify something about AoO's with regard to this ability.
    Flash flood: Just make creatures who fail the save be knocked prone. That's all. And specify what the save is.
    Otherwise, looks... okay. I'd look up the spell amorphous form (I think that's it) and give something similar as an (ex) ability, permanent. It's living water, after all.
    Improved Grapple wouldn't be out of line, for conjunction with drown.
    Wave stride could upgrade to teleport & even plane shift.
    Freedom of movement, maybe? At a later level.
    Another cool ability might be to disperse into water & sink into the soil- give it a burrow speed for specific sorts of loose ground, not going more than 10 feet down.
    Oh, and the slams need to specify how much +str they get. It's probably just +str, but always good to make sure.

Phoelarch: I like the new mechanic! I'd state that it works on all creatures, regardless of type. Raise Dead's punishment is already great enough. Also, you don't really state how long it takes to take effect... instantaneous wouldn't do, as they might be killed twice in the middle of a full attack routine: make it a little grandoise, eh? Have them burst into flame for ten minutes, dealing a certain simple amount of damage to all within 5 feet, and then at the end of this they're a pile of ash that reforms their body slowly over another ten minutes.
    Also, it should scale better. Resurrection as opposed to raise dead by 15 HD, maybe True Resurrection by 20 HD, and have the uses scale quicker- likely once/day by 20 HD. Something along those lines
    Water Elemental
    • Bonus Feats changed to specific abilities, as suggested.
    • Concentration check's increased to 10 + the Spell level + 1/2 the Elemental's HD
    • Added a table in the whirlpool ability regarding capsizing. I know little about how capsizing works so it is probably all kinds of incorrect.
    • Rip Current no requires a move-action to relinquish weapon and doing so provokes an attack of opportunity, as suggested.
    • I see what your saying about the flat damages.But, with most of the abilities usable at will I figured keeping the damage low would be a better idea. However, the elemental may now add its strength modifier to the damage dealt by the ability.
    • Added freedom of movement ability. I looked at Amorphous form, the elemental already has everything that spell gives, but better so I just through in a note about the elemental being able to slip through holes.
    • Please elaborate on the specific changed required for the Flash Flood ability.

Phoelarch
    • Capstone now scales, as suggested
    Last edited by AustontheGreat1; 2010-11-07 at 04:24 AM.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Betropper View Post
    Wereraptor

Spoiler
    Show
    Prerequisites:

Race: Any Medium, Small or Large humanoid or giant.
    Special: Must have been injured by the natural attack of another wereraptor and contracted lycanthropy

HD: d8
    1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Alternate form (Raptor), Raptor empathy, Lunar body, Raptor Traits
    2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Alternate form (hybrid), Lunar hide
    3rd|+2|+1|+3|+0|+1 Wis, Ambush sucker!
    4th|+3|+2|+4|+1|Curse of lycantropy, Alpha of the Pack[/table]

Skills: (2+Int modifier) Intimidate (Cha) Spot (Wis) Survival (Wis) Jump (Str) Listen (Wis) Hide (Dex)

Proficiencies: A wereraptor gains proficiency with their own natural weapons.

Features:

Lunar body(ex): Wereraptors retain old racial modifiers and gain the shapechanger subtype. They gain low-light vision if they did not already possess it.
    A wereraptor gains natural armor equal to its con bonus while in raptor or hybrid form. While in humanoid form their natural armor is equal to half their con bonus

Raptor empathy: A wereraptor can communicate with raptors (and other raptor-like magical beasts) regardless of form and gains a +4 bonus on charisma based checks to influence such animals, however he gains no bonus on influencing magical beasts.

Alternate Form(su):At first level, a wereraptor can take on a medium raptor form. While in raptor form, a wereraptor cannot use weapons or do anything requiring the use of hands, but gains two claw attacks dealing 1d6+Str damage, moves at a speed of 60 ft and can jump during a charge to get over things.
    At 3 HD his claws deal 1d8+Str
    At 6 HD his claws deal 2d6+Str

A wereraptor can transform 1/day/HD, and can remain transformed indefinitely.

For every level in wereraptor, or for every two in another class, the wereraptor's alternate form improves as shown below

{table=head]Wereraptor level +1/2 other levels|Ability Improvements
    1|+1 Dex
    2|+2 Dex
    3|+2 Dex, +1 Str
    4|+2 Dex, +2 Str
    5|+3 Dex, +2 Str
    6|+3 Dex, +3 Str
    7|+4 Dex, +3 Str
    8|+4 Dex, +4 Str
    9|+5 Dex, +4 Str
    10|+6 Dex, +4 Str
    11|+6 Dex, +5 Str
    12|+6 Dex, +6 Str[/table]

At second level, a wereraptor can assume hybrid form. They can wield any weapons they could use in humanoid form. A wereraptor in alternate form gains a +4 bonus to jump checks.

Raptor Traits: A wereraptor in raptor form gains scent and gains a bonus on all hide skill checks equal to half his HD, full if in an area with tall grass or if he spends a full round action to hide. At second level his scent ability works regardless of form.

Lunar hide: At second level, a wereraptor gains DR/Silver equal to their HD/2 while in alternate form.

Growth: At 3rd level, a wereraptor's raptor form becomes Large. In addition their natural armor improves by 1 while in alternate form.

A wereraptor of 12 HD or more may choose to become Large by expending two normal transformations.

A wereraptor of 16 HD or more may choose to become Huge by expending three normal transformations.

A wereraptor of 20 HD or more may choose to become Colossal by expending four normal transformations.

Ambush sucker!: At third level a wereraptor in hybrid form begins to learn how to sneak up on an opponent and strike vital areas. He gains a sneak attack with damage equal to his normal attack plus 1d6 per 3 HD.

Alpha of the pack: Starting at fourth level a wereraptor starts to rule a pack. He gains one deinonychus per 4 HD as a companion. They will recognize the wereraptor as their master and follow simple commands like "Attack" or "Run". They will stay with him forever and if the wereraptor emits a call they will run to him.

Curse of lycanthropy: At 4th level a wereraptor can transmit lycanthropy to other creatures. If a medium or large humanoid or giant is hit by their natural attacks while they are in alternate form, the creature must make a fortitude save (DC10+1/2HD+Con modifier) or contract lycanthropy. For more information on lycanthropy, check the lycanthrope entry in the monster manual.

Changelog:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Edited last skill to have two pathways.
    Small grammar edits.
    Made raptor form have abilities hybrid does not.
    Added 6 more levels.
    Balanced stomach damage and spells per day/maw of the titans by HD.
    made con a more important stat.
    Took ChumpLump's advice and balanced stats, saves, HD, and size.
    Took more advice and edited last two skills, removed improved grab, and made a 6/6 perfection on stats.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Big. Freakin'. Dino. The simplicity of this class is amusing because it's very narrow, just Charge, Pounce, and tear at a nervous system.

Since this is my first time, please don't be too harsh.
    THINK this is done, probably need advice on last two abilities though.
    Celestia Moon avatar by Dirtytabs. He is now the most awesome thing.

THIS
    Wins
    My website: Free Raptor Games
    Note: mostly abandoned due to lack of time.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Weretrex avatar by Bradakhan

Bec Noir avatar by Derjuin, thanks! Yes, that sword in his chest is a part of him.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Betropper View Post
    Wereraptor

Spoiler
    Show
    Prerequisites:

Race: Any Medium, Small or Large humanoid or giant.
    Special: Must have been injured by the natural attack of another wereraptor and contracted lycanthropy

HD: d8
    1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Alternate form (Raptor), Raptor empathy, Lunar body, Raptor Traits
    2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Alternate form (hybrid), Lunar hide
    3rd|+2|+1|+3|+0|+1 Wis, Ambush sucker!
    4th|+3|+2|+4|+1|Curse of lycantropy, Alpha of the Pack[/table]

Skills: (2+Int modifier) Intimidate (Cha) Spot (Wis) Survival (Wis) Jump (Str) Listen (Wis) Hide (Dex)
    May want to add more. I think move silently would work.

Proficiencies: A wereraptor gains proficiency with their own natural weapons.

Features:

Lunar body(ex): Wereraptors retain old racial modifiers and gain the shapechanger subtype. They gain low-light vision if they did not already possess it.
    A wereraptor gains natural armor equal to its con bonus while in raptor or hybrid form. While in humanoid form their natural armor is equal to half their con bonus

Raptor empathy: A wereraptor can communicate with raptors (and other raptor-like magical beasts) regardless of form and gains a +4 bonus on charisma based checks to influence such animals, however he gains no bonus on influencing magical beasts.

Alternate Form(su):At first level, a wereraptor can take on a medium raptor form. While in raptor form, a wereraptor cannot use weapons or do anything requiring the use of hands, but gains two claw attacks dealing 1d6+Str damage, moves at a speed of 60 ft and can jump during a charge to get over things.
    How high can he jump? Or do you mean make a jump check to clear things?

At 3 HD his claws deal 1d8+Str
    At 6 HD his claws deal 2d6+Str
    How about 8 & 12 & 16 they do more damage? This is a little bunched up.

A wereraptor can transform 1/day/HD, and can remain transformed indefinitely.

For every level in wereraptor, or for every two in another class, the wereraptor's alternate form improves as shown below

{table=head]Wereraptor level +1/2 other levels|Ability Improvements
    1|+1 Dex
    2|+2 Dex
    3|+2 Dex, +1 Str
    4|+2 Dex, +2 Str
    5|+3 Dex, +2 Str
    6|+3 Dex, +3 Str
    7|+4 Dex, +3 Str
    8|+4 Dex, +4 Str
    9|+5 Dex, +4 Str
    10|+6 Dex, +4 Str
    11|+6 Dex, +5 Str
    12|+6 Dex, +6 Str[/table]

At second level, a wereraptor can assume hybrid form. They can wield any weapons they could use in humanoid form. A wereraptor in alternate form gains a +4 bonus to jump checks.

Raptor Traits: A wereraptor in raptor form gains scent and gains a bonus on all hide skill checks equal to half his HD, full if in an area with tall grass or if he spends a full round action to hide. At second level his scent ability works regardless of form.
    Shouldn't you also give a bonus to move silently?

Lunar hide: At second level, a wereraptor gains DR/Silver equal to their HD/2 while in alternate form.

Growth: At 3rd level, a wereraptor's raptor form becomes Large. In addition their natural armor improves by 1 while in alternate form.

A wereraptor of 12 HD or more may choose to become Large by expending two normal transformations.

A wereraptor of 16 HD or more may choose to become Huge by expending three normal transformations.

A wereraptor of 20 HD or more may choose to become Colossal by expending four normal transformations.

Ambush sucker!: At third level a wereraptor in hybrid form begins to learn how to sneak up on an opponent and strike vital areas. He gains a sneak attack with damage equal to his normal attack plus 1d6 per 3 HD.

Alpha of the pack: Starting at fourth level a wereraptor starts to rule a pack. He gains one deinonychus per 4 HD as a companion. They will recognize the wereraptor as their master and follow simple commands like "Attack" or "Run". They will stay with him forever and if the wereraptor emits a call they will run to him.

Curse of lycanthropy: At 4th level a wereraptor can transmit lycanthropy to other creatures. If a medium or large humanoid or giant is hit by their natural attacks while they are in alternate form, the creature must make a fortitude save (DC10+1/2HD+Con modifier) or contract lycanthropy. For more information on lycanthropy, check the lycanthrope entry in the monster manual.

Changelog:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Edited last skill to have two pathways.
    Small grammar edits.
    Made raptor form have abilities hybrid does not.
    Added 6 more levels.
    Balanced stomach damage and spells per day/maw of the titans by HD.
    made con a more important stat.
    Took ChumpLump's advice and balanced stats, saves, HD, and size.
    Took more advice and edited last two skills, removed improved grab, and made a 6/6 perfection on stats.

Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Big. Freakin'. Dino. The simplicity of this class is amusing because it's very narrow, just Charge, Pounce, and tear at a nervous system.

Since this is my first time, please don't be too harsh.
    All in all, I love the idea, and if you gave up on WereT-Rex, I'd love to take over. Also, this is not a critique... I just wanted to say what I thought.

15. - Top - End - #975

Dream Larva: I know I'm being finicky, but you don't need to state things that are stated in the growth table. Body of nightmares doesn't need to specify the natural weapon damage growth. Nor do claws or pincers or anything else. Okay?
    Okay, sorry! Changed!
    Soporific Touch: Just how can it be used in conjunction with a melee attack? Specify. No more than once per round, please.
    Specification added.
    Claws & Pincers: Give claws earlier. Get pincers later. Claws would be okay as early as level 2. I'd advise 4th level, however, because just getting SR is rather bland for a whole level's investment.
    I... was SO sure that I had already done that. I would have bet on it. But it looks like I didn't. Feh, did that now. Moved Claws to 4th, moved Pincers to 9th, moved Dark Summoning to 6th to compensate and make sure it's not a dead level.

Flashing Colors needs a DC.
    Other than that, looks good! Whee! Make those adjustments, and I think I can add it.
    You have no idea how satisfied I feel. Or maybe you do, I'm sure you're glad to get the albatross of the Dream Larva off of your neck.

The Dream Larva has been changed as per your requests.

Saint: The chassis is a bit powerful. Choose two of the following:
    Reduce BAB to 3/4.
    Remove one good save.
    Remove 2 ability score bonuses.
    I reduced the BAB and gave it only good will saves... I couldn't decide, but I decided strength of mind was more thematically appropriate.

DR, fast healing, resistances, etc. are not covered under body. Give them a separate ability. It's enough to just state "DR/Evil". When there's a standard format, use it unless you have a good reason not to (though I'm all for it if you do).
    Okay, done!

The globe... I'd set it to spells of a level equal to (1/2 HD)-3. That way you're not totally immune to all spells all the time- just weaker ones.
    Changed.

Calming Touch: There's a spell for that!
    Calm Emotions, you mean? Gotcha.

Otherwise, looks okay!
    Yay!

The Saint has been changed as per your requests.

Thank you for critiquing again! Cheers!

The list is BACK! And more updated than ever before!

Unfinished Monsters by Original Post Date
    Spoiler
    Show

Water Elemental2 - 10/02/2010
    Elder Treant3 - 10/03/2010
    Soulspark2 - 10/06/2010
    Living Spell3 - 10/10/2010
    Malebranche2 - 10/16/2010
    Dwarf Ancestor2 - 10/18/2010
    SHADOWPERSON2 - 10/19/2010
    Black Dragon2 - 10/19/2010
    Lammasu2 - 10/19/2010
    Arcadian Avenger1 - 10/20/2010
    Purple Worm2 - 10/21/2010
    The Bleakborn2 - 10/23/2010
    Giths2 - 10/23/2010
    Brass Golem2 - 10/24/2010
    The WereScorpion2 - 10/27/2010
    Gargoyle2 - 10/27/2010
    Maug2 - 10/29/2010
    Saint1 - 10/29/2010
    Cheshire Cat2 - 10/30/2010
    Wereraptor1 - 10/30/2010
    Death Knight2 - 10/31/2010 [Revised Class]
    Osyluth (Bone Devil)2 - 10/31/2010
    Illurien2 - 11/04/2010
    Shade2 - 11/04/2010
    Half-Elemental1 - 11/07/2010

1: Awaiting critique or approval from Gorgondantess, or discussion from everyone.
    2: Has been critiqued by Gorgondantess or other approved members (Hyudra, ChumpLump), and is awaiting the user to make the requested changes or otherwise edit.
    3: Abandoned, either temporarily or permanently.
    Linked Numbers: If the number next to the class is a link, that means that it leads either to the current critique of the class (If the number is a 2) or to a post with the proposed changes by the user (If the number is a 1).

Also, my thoughts on Evolved Undead...

This is excellent work. I really can't wait until it is finished, I play undead characters with middling frequency and this would be perfect for any of them. One thing which I think is fantastic is that it is good both as a follow-through class or as a quick dip. Pinnacle of Evolution is a GREAT capstone, as it essentially removes a lot of the weak spots of the undead type. Half living... half dead... amazing.

Now the stuff which I would change:

Is there some way you could give it its Charisma Modifier to health instead of Constitution? Seems very fitting with Pinnacle of Evolution.

Does every single class feature need to be named "evolved X"? I'm not joking, every one of your class features has the word "evolution" in it in some form. I mean, yes, I get it, evolved undead, but maybe a couple of them could be named something else? Just a thought.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-11-09 at 07:31 AM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

Many thanks to Qwernt for my amazing mind flayer avatar!

16. - Top - End - #976
    Bugbear in the Playground

1. Sorry, but I didn't see your suggestions for Black Dragon. I think they must of got lost, or I need stronger glasses .
    2. First, i'll give the Cheshire Cat someDex at each level, Handle Humanoid was just a laugh but that can go, and as for immunity to SDA's at Lv30.....yuck. Most games don't last that long, but I'll settle for Lv25.
    3. I think Evolved Undead's capstone gives too much. At 9HD the evolved undead can get immunity to turning, is healed by positive AND negative energy.......seems a bit much. I'd say make the class harder to qualify.

EDITS:
    Black Dragon
    Cheshire Cat

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

I've made the suggested changes (Other than spelling out which SLAs you get at their respective levels which I didn't think needed done. If anybody else wishes that changed I probably will though.) to Illurien. Anybody want to critique?

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

On the Evolved Undead!
    Just one thing slightly confusing,
    If it is corporeal and does not already possess natural armor, it gains natural armor equal to its strength modifier. If it does already possess natural armor, it gains a bonus to natural armor equal to its levels in the evolved undead class (those that gain natural armor through this class simply get a bonus to natural armor equal to their levels in evolved undead-1.)
    Don't those two contradict each other?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

19. - Top - End - #979

Assuming the request line is still open, I'd like to ask for Ultroloth, please.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zarthrax View Post
    Assuming the request line is still open, I'd like to ask for Ultroloth, please.
    Where dat from?

Lammasu & Golden Protector will be done the first day I'm not in work this week.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-11-07 at 02:42 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    On the Evolved Undead!
    Just one thing slightly confusing,

Don't those two contradict each other?

I think he meant that if you already had natural armor when you enter the class, you get an extra bonus. However, you're right, it needs to be worded slightly better.

22. - Top - End - #982

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Where dat from?

Lammasu & Golden Protector will be done the first day I'm not in work this week.
    Monster Manual 3, page 204. The other two species of 'loth were done already, so I figured asking for the third wouldn't hurt.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Titan in the Playground

It might be in case someone takes the class twice.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

24. - Top - End - #984

I haven't made the changes to the Bleakborn because I honestly aren't sure what I was asked to change. I was told to balance it better, but I'm not really sure what that entails.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

25. - Top - End - #985

Actually, it does not. I meant to keep the options of either the mount or the SLA, as the undead followers is essentially identical to the animate dead SLA, except usually less powerful but at the same time more abusable (as it's rather broad- you could potentially get an army of incorporeals and vampires and all sorts of nasty low-HD-high-CR creatures).
    Wouldnt just giving a limit of 2 or 3 creatures stop that prombleme? Also animate dead does no equal the abilty.You can have zombies and skeletons but your arent able to have anything that's really strong. With the first ability you can have a vampire, a lich, a wraith,etc.Also with Hd worth undead, You wont be able to do much.
    awesome avatar made by Trazoi
    Totem Cleric:A divine fighter that uses a totem which empowers him.

I will not have as much acces to a computer so I will not post as much.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #986

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    3. I think Evolved Undead's capstone gives too much. At 9HD the evolved undead can get immunity to turning, is healed by positive AND negative energy.......seems a bit much. I'd say make the class harder to qualify.
    I respectfully disagree... All it does is remove the weaknesses of the Undead Type. Becoming Undead gives many benefits, but it also makes you defeat-able by a cleric. It gives you terrible weaknesses to positive energy, and to being turned.

Evolved Undead is about keeping the benefits you got from becoming Undead, but overcoming the weaknesses. (Weaknesses which a normal character would not have.) 9 HD is not too early, in my opinion, to overcome these weaknesses. It's a nice capstone which gives you reasonable power without being overpowered.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

27. - Top - End - #987

It's not a BAAAAAD capstone, but you would think you'd be a higher level than 4HD before you were able to tell Clerics to shove their turning up where it don't shine. Which I heartily would endorse

28. - Top - End - #988
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    It's not a BAAAAAD capstone, but you would think you'd be a higher level than 4HD before you were able to tell Clerics to shove their turning up where it don't shine. Which I heartily would endorse
    Then they kill you with their spellcasting.

29. - Top - End - #989

Then they kill you with their spellcasting.
    Right, exactly. For a player character it's perfectly well and reasonable. For an NPC grunt, wow, powerful, but for an NPC major villain, great.

Undead: "Hah, foolish cleric, you can't turn ME!"
    Cleric: "Dang. Fireball."
    Undead: "Noooo"

See? Not that bad. And you can't get the capstone at 4 HD... There is no possible way.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

30. - Top - End - #990
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magicyop View Post

Undead: "Hah, foolish cleric, you can't turn ME!"
    Cleric: "Dang. Fireball."
    Undead: "Noooo"
    This reminds me of the cartoons I used to watch with the super cheesy villains. Thanks.

Oh, and Illurien should have a 1 next to her, not a 2. I've made all the changes Gorgon suggested and am now waiting for critique.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-11-07 at 08:18 PM.