A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Out in The Sticks
    Gender
    Male

    Default is there a precedent for such a conversion?

    greetings playgrounders,

    I have recently recieved a copy of the arms and equipment guide (joy!)

    as I was looking through the list of 'specific magic weapons' (and armour)

    I was struck by an idea that occured to me while looking at the same lists in the DMG


    "why not take the 'specific' enchantment, and make it something you could apply to any weapon?"

    for example, the "oathbow"

    gives you bonuses against a specific enemy if you swear to kill it, and penatlies if you fail to do so.


    why could one not take such 'oath' magic and apply it to other weapons?



    a second related question.

    using 'parts' of effects, for example
    a Icy burst weapon does +1d6 +1d10 on a critical
    could we not have the 'burst' as a standalone enchantment for +1 enhancement?


    I was curious if there is a precedent for either of these things before I start brewing..... if there is, please direct me to it. if not...... I"ll be posting up said conversions shortly



    thanks in advance.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: is there a precedent for such a conversion?

    I don't think there's all that much of a precedent in WotC books, but homebrewers have been doing and suggesting this for ages.
    ze/zir | she/her

    Omnia Vincit Amor

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Out in The Sticks
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: is there a precedent for such a conversion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    I don't think there's all that much of a precedent in WotC books, but homebrewers have been doing and suggesting this for ages.
    but does it work?

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGirl

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chania, Greece
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: is there a precedent for such a conversion?

    Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    I was curious if there is a precedent for either of these things before I start brewing..... if there is, please direct me to it. if not...... I"ll be posting up said conversions shortly
    Not to my meager knowledge and i will eagerly await results.
    Last edited by peacenlove; 2010-10-03 at 04:40 AM.

    Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

    Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: is there a precedent for such a conversion?

    Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    but does it work?
    The answer is: ask the DM. Mechanics and balance wise it should usually be fine as long as the ability was balanced to begin with. Aside from relics there aren't any specific weapons I can think of off the top of my head that are supposed to be balanced by being on bad base weapons.
    Attention Imgur Users! Imgur apparently doesn't like hosting images anymore and only works in certain places or for people who already have the image cached: No one can see your avatars or images!
    Also Photobucket users? Don't know if it's a bandwidth or region lock or something, but I'm seeing some avatars blurred out with a watermark that looks like the photobucket icon.
    And Tinypic went down a while back, seeing plenty of old avatars showing their downed image.
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: is there a precedent for such a conversion?

    Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    a second related question.

    using 'parts' of effects, for example
    a Icy burst weapon does +1d6 +1d10 on a critical
    could we not have the 'burst' as a standalone enchantment for +1 enhancement?
    In my opinion, it would not be unreasonable to make the entire burst enchantment (the +1d6 normal and +1d10 on a critical) a +1 enchantment. Only having the additional +1d10 by itself hardly seems worth a +1 enchantment by itself.

    As for the bit about the oathbow, I don't know about precedent, but it's hardly unimaginable to conceive that you couldn't apply the same principle to another weapon. If you wish, you could just make an Oathsword or something that operates under the same mechanic. A similar thing could be done for just about any weapon so long as it doesn't have an enchantment that is limited to one form of weapon (either melee or ranged).
    A proud contributor to DnD-Wiki.org, which focuses on the production of quality homebrew content as well as maintenance of the SRD and other Open Game Licensed material.

    My favorite class is the ranger, a fact that I am ashamed of because the 3.5e incarnation of it kind of sucks. As a result, I'm very stubborn and opinionated concerning what I think a ranger should be, so if you post a ranger variant I will probably post what I think about it for good or ill.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: is there a precedent for such a conversion?

    I think the only reason it's an oathbow and not something else, is that fluff-wise, it makes sense to swear an oath as you draw an arrow, because it comes up by your mouth. So yeah, it would probably be fine to make that more general.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    BarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Out in The Sticks
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: is there a precedent for such a conversion?

    Quote Originally Posted by peacenlove View Post
    Not to my meager knowledge and i will eagerly await results.
    well, I'm afraid you'll have to be eager for at least another day or so, I have 4 papers to write tomorrow

    should I post them up here? or in a new thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    The answer is: ask the DM. Mechanics and balance wise it should usually be fine as long as the ability was balanced to begin with. Aside from relics there aren't any specific weapons I can think of off the top of my head that are supposed to be balanced by being on bad base weapons.
    well, given that I am the DM..... I think this works out awesomely hahaha, whether my players will hold onto these things when I eventually step down is another story, but thats why I'm trying to brew balanced material, the idea is to make each 'new enhancement' roughly on par with the example weapon. for instance if the example specific weapon is a +2 greataxe, the enchantment will (likely) be a +2



    Quote Originally Posted by DireSockPuppet View Post
    I think the only reason it's an oathbow and not something else, is that fluff-wise, it makes sense to swear an oath as you draw an arrow, because it comes up by your mouth. So yeah, it would probably be fine to make that more general.
    as far as fluffyness, I bring a very heavy Warhammer Fantasy viewpoint to dnd (because I know the world MUCH better)

    and as such, to me, grudge => dwarf => runework => can be applied to anything,

    .... I was going to make a point, I'll edit this as soon as I remember what it was.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cidolfas View Post
    In my opinion, it would not be unreasonable to make the entire burst enchantment (the +1d6 normal and +1d10 on a critical) a +1 enchantment. Only having the additional +1d10 by itself hardly seems worth a +1 enchantment by itself.
    there are (currently) 2 enchantments I'm considering offering for less than a +1 enhancement, as far as cost

    - multi-striking
    and
    -burst

    the burst came from a "fluff" idea I had for a magic axe I wanted, I wanted it to deal d12 + chaos + lightning + frost + multistriking +5, and (if I remember my math correctly) either + keen, or + icy burst/shocking burst or simply one of the 'burst' effects...

    what multi striking does
    spoilered for sleepy verbosity.
    Spoiler
    Show
    multi striking is a potent enchantment at lower levels, but loses out at high level play (according to the playground optimizers)
    a multi striking weapon, on a successful hit, deals another attack on its own. using only the weapon's bonuses to hit and damage,
    for example:

    Cog Skulltaker, a Level 3 Barbarian, had a +1 greataxe of multi-striking +1
    when he swings to hit, his to hit roll is equal to the following:
    d20 + 4 (Strength)+ 3 (BAB) + 1 (magic axe) + 1 (weapon focus)
    if this attack hits, regardless of damage dealt, the axe itself deals a second attack using the following:
    d20 + 1 (magic axe)

    this enchantment can be stacked, (so a weapon of multi-striking + 2 would deal two extra swings, also making it a +2 weapon)

    in a more extended example, a keen, icy burst, multi striking +3 axe, would use the following attack roll
    d20 + 6 (total enhancement bonus) and it would do this three times.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •