New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Permanency via Use Magic Device

Permanency can make some buff spells permanent upon oneself (permanent as far as duration goes; could still be dispelled I think). SRD has scrolls of permanency with XP already 'included' in the scroll.

For a character with Use Magic Device, but no spellcasting, is it possible/permissible to use scrolls of Permanency + spell to be applied to get, say, permanent Detect Magic on oneself? If the character's UMD mod is too low (scrolls are 20 + caster level, and Permanency has high min caster levels for the various effects) is there some other spell that grants a boost for arbitrary skill check (even if just one per casting)?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Permanency via Use Magic Device

I have difficulty understanding what your question exactingly is, so I'll do it this way:

For a character with Use Magic Device, but no spellcasting, is it possible/permissible to use scrolls of Permanency + spell to be applied to get, say, permanent Detect Magic on oneself?
    Yes, you can. You MUST cast the spell.

If the character's UMD mod is too low (scrolls are 20 + caster level, and Permanency has high min caster levels for the various effects) is there some other spell that grants a boost for arbitrary skill check (even if just one per casting)?
    There is a bunch of them: Eagle's splendor, Improvisation (CA), Nixie's grace (Dragon magazine)... Personally I think that all you need is improvisation because it may give a HUGE bonus (depending on caster lvl). So check it out.
    Last edited by Kaww; 2010-10-03 at 02:30 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ffone View Post
    Permanency can make some buff spells permanent upon oneself (permanent as far as duration goes; could still be dispelled I think). SRD has scrolls of permanency with XP already 'included' in the scroll.

For a character with Use Magic Device, but no spellcasting, is it possible/permissible to use scrolls of Permanency + spell to be applied to get, say, permanent Detect Magic on oneself? If the character's UMD mod is too low (scrolls are 20 + caster level, and Permanency has high min caster levels for the various effects) is there some other spell that grants a boost for arbitrary skill check (even if just one per casting)?
    I can answer your first question easily, yes, you could UMD a scroll of permanency to make spells permanent on yourself due to the xp component being built in.

As for boosting your skills an allied bards music, anything to enchant your charisma.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Divine Inspiration gives a huge bonus on one skill check. Cleric 2, Spell Compendium. Buy a wand while you're at it, I'm sure it'll be more than worth it.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

5. - Top - End - #5

PirateGirl

All good tips so far, thanks.

Suppose the PC can get her UMD up high enough to reliably use a CL 11th scroll of permanency, but would like to 'cast' Detect Magic (or whatever the buff is) from an even higher caster level, as a defense against future dispels.

Does the Detect Magic also have to be from a scroll, or could it be, from, say, a wand (flat UMD DC of 20) or potion (no UMD needed)?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

It doesn't matter where the buff comes from, all that matters is that it's a valid target for the Permanency effect.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    sheer awesomeness

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I think, though they removed this from the SRD, that the game allows, if you wheedle nicely enough, the DM to allow other spells to be permenanced.
    Or maybe this was just Pathfinder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

It doesn't matter where the buff comes from, all that matters is that it's a valid target for the Permanency effect.
    You can only cast Permanency on spells you cast yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    You can only cast Permanency on spells you cast yourself.
    Indeed. Permanency's text is:

You cast the desired spell and then follow it with the permanency spell.
    Some sources (such a Wand) are valid for the purpose:

Activation
    Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2010-10-04 at 02:52 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

10. - Top - End - #10

PirateGirl

Good catch Killer Angel.

Related question - Arcane Sight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/arcaneSight.htm) is like Detect Magic but 'always on', more powerful, and 'makes your eyes glow blue'.

So, if a character Permanencies Arcane Sight, does that mean her eyes always glow blue, and she always 'sees' magical auras even if it gets annoying? (In other words, might a char actually prefer Detect Magic for interaction / roleplaying reasons?)
    Last edited by ffone; 2010-10-04 at 02:52 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ffone View Post
    So, if a character Permanencies Arcane Sight, does that mean her eyes always glow blue, and she always 'sees' magical auras even if it gets annoying?
    I would say yes. (dark sunglasses eliminate the blue effect... )
    This also reminds me the gaze of Iris, the Egyptian (The Twelve Tasks of Asterix).
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2010-10-04 at 04:03 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.