New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Question CharGen Questionnaire

Having grown tired of several members of my campaign who just seem to be along for the ride, I've decided to give them all compulsory homework: a questionnaire intended to illuminate their personality, background, and motivations. I'm shooting for 100 questions, but am aiming high intentionally and expecting much less.

Since this is a lot of work, I'm gonna try to spread to work around a bit and ask the Playground for question suggestions. I'll be compiling my own list at the same time.

Here's a random question to get things moving. I'll be extending this list as I come up with more.

1. [OPTIONAL] Go to TVTropes.org, and select three tropes that accurately describe your character. List them here.

2. List every member of your immediate family (living or deceased), and your relationship with them.

3. Describe your hometown in as much detail as possible.

4. Who taught you your class skills? If you were self taught, how did you do so?

5. Why did your character decide to start this particular adventure?

6. Why do you travel with the rest of the party?

7. Have you ever killed anyone before? If so, what happened?

8. Have you ever had any romantic interests? If so, what happened?

9. Name two close friends, and your relationship with them.

10. List any enemies you've made, and how they became such.

11. What is your name? If it has any particular meaning, explain that here as well.

12. Are you associated with any particular organizations? If so, who are they and what are they like? (Noble families count as organizations for the purposes of this question.)

13. What does your character ultimately want to accomplish in life?

14. What are your views on killing?

15. What are your religious views?

16. How do you feel about interacting with members of the opposite faith? If you don't adhere to a particular faith, how do you feel about interacting with the faithful?

17. How do you feel about interacting with embodiements of the opposite faith? (Demons, angels, undead, etc.?) If you don't adhere to a particular faith, how do you feel about these sort of entities in general?

18. What are some of your character's fears? Why are they afraid of that?
    Last edited by Drakevarg; 2010-10-05 at 07:43 PM.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: CharGen Questionnaire

I like how step one probably takes about ten hours.

You should check this out too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jallorn View Post
    I like how step one probably takes about ten hours.
    A fact I'm getting all too familiar with right now... hell, I don't even remember what I was looking up in the first place.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Those first 4 are a good start. But really, the important thing about character backgrounds is how it feeds into the "Group Template". That is, "how well does the character fit in with the rest of the party" and "why will the PC continue to adventure with this group of people?" Far too often the rp problems from characters comes from the fact that their characters are just random people who don't fit in at all with the DM's micro setting or with the other characters' stories.

Credit for the Group Template concept goes to Fear the Boot at feartheboot.com

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

...That's too much work. I like to start with ones, then work from there. The below numbering is a suggested order.

1.) Pick one class. Alignment, race, gender, etc. can also be picked at this or any point.
    2.) Pick one central trope, as if it were the character's only defining trait if he/she were a one-dimensional character (i.e. an NPC).
    3.) Decide on one aspect of your character's background: what his family was like, whatever.
    4.) Pick out one ultimate goal.

Then, flesh this character out. This can be done over a period of time, even during play.
    -Link the central trope to the class (if necessary). Then hang random tropes on the character, like a Christmas tree. Also like a Christmas tree, organized randomness is better than full randomness.
    -Link the background to the central trope and class. And race (and gender, if necessary).
    -Link the ultimate goal to the central trope and class.
    -Add in extra nuances (possibly via tropes) to both the background and personality. Likely via tropes.

After all, most characterization I've put a character through has always popped up from fleshing out a one-dimensional character in-game, much like a character in a novel or film or whatever is characterized over time. I don't even like the Ten-Minute-Backgrounds method... it suggests too diverse a start for me. I like ones.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
    Having grown tired of several members of my campaign who just seem to be along for the ride, I've decided to give them all compulsory homework
    I'm going to go ahead and just say this now because the thread is going to dissolve into a discussion about it anyway.

You're in the wrong here.

The fact that your players are not bringing enormously, ridiculously-expansive backstories to your game (which will, of course, never come up...I mean honestly, what difference does it make to your plot the methods which the PCs self-taught themselves class abilities? You're not going to be re-enacting the training scene from A Knight's Tale here.) is unfortunate, sure, but you're just going to push players away with your unreal expectations.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Sidenote here: Assuming these four questions are average, and giving conservative time estimates for them...

15 minutes for tvtropes.
    45 minutes for the family stuff (less if you're intentionally having no knowledge of people, or if relationship just means a couple sentences.)
    At least three hours for the hometown. If you only mean "in reasonable detail, rough draft outline style", then about thirty minutes.
    How you were taught: At least thirty minutes, again.

So, assuming you massively cut down the work for the hometown, that's still thirty minutes per question... or fifty hours for the entire list of 100. That is more time than you an reasonably expect to actually be actively roleplaying your character in a year of play (assuming you are actively roleplaying for an hour every session, which is rather unlikely since snack breaks, combat, NPC actions, and other PCs tend to take time as well) at a session a week.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Since this is a lot of work, I'm gonna try to spread to work around a bit
    This is spreading it around a bit? your first four questions alone will take about two hours.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    Sidenote here: Assuming these four questions are average, and giving conservative time estimates for them...
    Apart from the more elaborate ones, like "describe your hometown," I was only expecting a short paragraph each. (Counting each family member as a seperate question for those purposes.) If that would take an average of half an hour per question for you, I think it's time you worked on your writing skills.

If you're assuming a short essay for each question, then yes that would be totally unreasonable and I'd only be asking ten questions, tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    This is spreading it around a bit? your first four questions alone will take about two hours.
    By Milskidasith's estimate, apparently yes.

But I was referring to spreading the workload away from me.
    Last edited by Drakevarg; 2010-10-05 at 01:26 AM.

ENBY

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Apart from the more elaborate ones, like "describe your hometown," I was only expecting a short paragraph each. (Counting each family member as a seperate question for those purposes.) If that would take an average of half an hour per question for you, I think it's time you worked on your writing skills.
    They all seem fairly elaborate to me.

10 different non conflicting tropes? That would actually be longer for me.

the different family members question would depend on how many you had.

the hometown is going to take way too long to be worth it. I'd just say it's a pile of ashes right now.

How long the fourth would take would depend on the character I was playing.

If you're assuming a short essay for each question, then yes that would be totally unreasonable and I'd only be asking ten questions, tops.
    Why not just do that instead of asking for 100+ Paragraphs you're probably not going to actually ever read? Not the short essay part, the ten question part.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-10-05 at 01:33 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and just say this now because the thread is going to dissolve into a discussion about it anyway.

You're in the wrong here.

The fact that your players are not bringing enormously, ridiculously-expansive backstories to your game (which will, of course, never come up...I mean honestly, what difference does it make to your plot the methods which the PCs self-taught themselves class abilities? You're not going to be re-enacting the training scene from A Knight's Tale here.) is unfortunate, sure, but you're just going to push players away with your unreal expectations.
    The specifics of how they learned ability X is not important. What's important is giving a bit of detail to a potential "mentor" from the character's past. To real people, the individuals who teach and train us are often important in our lives. When you risk your life based on your skills, then the manner in which you learned them is probably important to you. For an example, I'll point to the classic bildungsroman in the Poke'mon cartoon. Think of how many mentors and teachers Ash Ketchum had on his way to becoming a "Pokemon Master". The lessons learned from Professor Oak, Brock, Gary, and even Pikachu are integral to who Ash is midway through his quest to "catch 'em all!".

The real fun for a DM at that point is using what the player has provided to create real life character moments and interactions with party members, authority figures, lovers, and friends from the past. The more a player provides, the more a DM can reap to create a real life experience in a fantasy world.

And that should do it for cheesy inspirational speeches today.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

10 different non conflicting tropes? That would actually be longer for me.
    Given that it's TVTropes, that's probably the most time-consuming question on the list. Of course, I've been on the site enough to have a near-encylopedic knowledge of it, so it would be relatively simple for me to answer that.

the different family members question would depend on how many you had.
    With immeadiate family members? It'd be suprising if you had more than four. Short paragraph each... 20 minutes maybe.

the hometown is going to take way too long to be worth it. I'd just say it's a pile of ashes right now.
    That would get half a page at least, yeah, if they didn't decided to write a damn splatbook about it. With my players? Half an hour, sure.

How long the fourth would take would depend on the character I was playing.
    Another short paragraph. 5 minutes maybe.

Why not just do that instead of asking for 100+ Paragraphs you're probably not going to actually ever read? Not the short essay part, the ten question part.
    I would read it. I like reading.

But given that I set 100 as my "high mark" in the same since that I set the works of Shakespeare and J.R.R. Tolkien as my "high mark" in writing, and given that I have two days to actually compile this list, the actual results will be MUCH lower.
    Last edited by Drakevarg; 2010-10-05 at 01:39 AM.

ENBY

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

With immeadiate family members? It'd be suprising if you had more than four. Short paragraph each... 20 minutes maybe.

In real life I have 6 just in my immediate family. Including extended, without actually counting I probably have around 70.

This question really depends on how in depth you want to go.

I don't even bother with backstories in my 4E campaign because my character death rate is so high. Heck, my new character may have essentially died in the first session with him.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-10-05 at 01:39 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

In real life I have 6 just in my immediate family. Including extended, without actually counting I probably have around 70.
    I've got a pretty large extended family, myself. 'S why I knew it'd be a bit unreasonable to ask that.

Four siblings, huh? Must be fun.

I don't even bother with backstories in my 4E campaign because my character death rate is so high. Heck, my new character may have essentially died in the first session with him.
    Which would be exactly the sort out outlook I'd like to avoid. Leading a bunch of shiftless bints around by the nose with no particular goal in mind is boring. And about half of my party is pretty much exactly like that. Two of them behave like idiot fratboys and the other two just kind of watch until combat happens.

Two new questions added.
    Last edited by Drakevarg; 2010-10-05 at 01:48 AM.

ENBY

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Its the research times that are far more gratuitous. TV tropes is poorly laid out and highly intoxicating, asking someone to draw character traits from it is like asking them to open nine thousand bottles of vodka, and determine which tastes best. Alone. In both cases, about half way through, you're so disoriented and confused, that you forget who you are, what you're doing, and who's dead body is lying on the floor.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

16. - Top - End - #16

DruidGirl

This question really depends on how in depth you want to go.

I have 3 in my immediate family. So 5 minutes each means 30 mins for you. 15 for me. Big deal. If your character has 12 brothers and 8 sisters, you could probably sum that up in 2 paragraphs easily. Just write about the ones you want to potentially include in the game. And if you don't want to make your character's parents/siblings a big part of the game, then you won't. But at least this question forces you to consider parents/siblings as a source of content.
    Last edited by Hallavast; 2010-10-05 at 01:55 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Its the research times that are far more gratuitous. TV tropes is poorly laid out and highly intoxicating, asking someone to draw character traits from it is like asking them to open nine thousand bottles of vodka, and determine which tastes best. Alone. In both cases, about half way through, you're so disoriented and confused, that you forget who you are, what you're doing, and who's dead body is lying on the floor.
    TVTropes only applies to the first question, and is the only one that requires any research. I said it was the one that would take the longest to answer for a reason.

ENBY

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Which would be exactly the sort out outlook I'd like to avoid. Leading a bunch of shiftless bints around by the nose with no particular goal in mind is boring. And about half of my party is pretty much exactly like that. Two of them behave like idiot fratboys and the other two just kind of watch until combat happens.
    I don't really play like this though. I'm more than happy to make a background if it's actually going to come up* But when it's not actually going to come up and my character is likely to die within two sessions anyway** I just don't see the point.

* Like in this one campaign I was playing online with Archpaladin Zousha.
    ** My character contracted A level 16 disease at level 10 and I had a 10% chance of not contracting it. Now, since I'm pretty sure the party doesn't have remove disease I need to roll a natural 20 to get rid of it. If I don't I then have to roll 2 natural 20s or a 15 when I don't have all my stuff on to stay stable. If I don't, I die.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallavast View Post
    I have 3 in my immediate family. So 5 minutes each means 30 mins for you. 15 for me. Big deal. I
    I agree. However, when there are 99 other questions I have to answer, even assuming the rest only take 5 minutes each, that's 525 minutes or roughly 8 and a half hours of preparation on a character's background.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-10-05 at 02:00 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree. However, when there are 99 other questions I have to answer, even assuming the rest only take 5 minutes each, that's 525 minutes or roughly 8 and a half hours of preparation on a character's background.
    I'll remind you again that 100 questions was the (intentionally) unrealistically high mark I set for myself. Honestly, if I come up with 20 by Wednesday, I'll be suprised.

ENBY

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I'll remind you again that 100 questions was the (intentionally) unrealistically high mark I set for myself. Honestly, if I come up with 20 by Wednesday, I'll be suprised.
    Don't know how I missed that.

Still, I say just ten questions should be enough to cover anything that'll come up.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Four more questions added.

ENBY

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

is number 8 really ever going to come up? I guess it will if you're bringing it up but it doesn't seem like something that's going to happen very often.

Instead of ten tropes on TVtropes how about ten adjectives to describe your character? Those are easier to find without losing 5 hours of your life in the process.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-10-05 at 02:15 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't know how your players feel about it, but I probably wouldn't be willing to do that.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

is number 8 really ever going to come up? I guess it will if you're bringing it up but it doesn't seem like something that's going to happen very often.
    Vengeful ex-lover? Beloved twoo wuv murdered for extra angst? Romance has an interesting habit of being a gold mine for plot hooks.

Instead of ten tropes on TVtropes how about ten adjectives to describe your character? Those are easier to find without losing 5 hours of your life in the process.
    Tell me honestly; have you ever regretted those wasted hours except in retrospect?

ENBY

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Tell me honestly; have you ever regretted those wasted hours except in retrospect?
    No, but then I had time to spare. If I don't because I have school and a job for example, my DM telling me "Go waste 5 hours looking up stuff for a character that's probably going to die in two sessions anyway" I'd kindly remind him that there are things that are more important in life than D&D.

Vengeful ex-lover? Beloved twoo wuv murdered for extra angst? Romance has an interesting habit of being a gold mine for plot hooks.
    Really? those both seem incredibly boring to me. In a movie maybe but I don't actually want to play that guy in a D&D game.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-10-05 at 02:25 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

No, but then I had time to spare. If I don't because I have school and a job for example, my DM telling me "Go waste 5 hours looking up stuff for a character that's probably going to die in two sessions anyway" I'd kindly remind him that there are things that are more important in life than D&D.
    Then perhaps you should not have set aside your afternoon to show up and fill out my questionnaire until you did have the time to spare.

And my players tend to last a bit longer than two sessions. Maybe four. And it's getting better as I figure out the exact location of the breaking point. Heart surgery with a sledgehammer and all.

Really? those both seem incredibly boring to me.
    It's all in the execution.

ENBY

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to hold off on any more comments until I see what the finalized list looks like. Right now though, I have the feeling it'll drive your players away.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-10-05 at 02:32 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to hold off on any more comments until I see what the finalized list looks like.
    Chances are the finalized list will look like whatever's in that first post by the time I fall asleep tomorow.

Right now though, I have the feeling it'll drive your players away.
    Oh, I most certaintly hope so. To be honest, the two fratboy-types I'd rather just be rid of, but it's a bit uncooth to just request that they **** off.

And one of the apathetic ones is the girlfriend of one of the fratboys, I wouldn't be suprised if she left too. Though she does seem to be rather fond of the game despite not taking a very active role.

ENBY

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I most certaintly hope so. To be honest, the two fratboy-types I'd rather just be rid of, but it's a bit uncooth to just request that they **** off.
    as opposed to saying "make a character sheet that'll take 8 hours to make or **** off"?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, there's no way I'd do this and I like doing character backgrounds. But that's not important, since I'm not one of your players; what's important is that your players, as described, do not want this sort of game.

Take hold of your reproductive organs of choice and tell them to **** off, if you don't want to play with them. Weirdly passive-aggressive character building demands are... weirdly passive-aggressive. And not at all going to make anyone say, "oh my, I've been playing wrong all this time! I shall now work up a fully-fleshed character and begin striving for the Oscars of Role Playing!"