New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: I have made tin into gold! [3.5 Base Class, PEACH, WiP]

Quote Originally Posted by Benly View Post
    Not at all. It turns into a larger volume of gold with less weight than that volume of normal gold and the same GP value as that weight. It is, shall we say, "expanded gold" which, when melted, returns to the normal size.

You need to understand that D&D monetary values and mystic alchemy are driven more by bizarre magic than real-world economics.
    Benly is basically correct. 1 pound of *stuff*, no matter how much gold it converts to, is worth 10 gold when it converts to gold. It would be overly complex to make the class feature something like "One pound of anything converts to being two pounds of gold, where every pound of gold is worth 5 gp!" or something stupid to that effect. The general worth of the golden object, for the purposes of the class feature, can be easily defined by the original weight of the object.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

Many thanks to Qwernt for my amazing mind flayer avatar!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

I hope the innkeeper likes his new BEEF DOOR. Also his BEEF COUNTERTOP. During the fall, leaves drift close, brush against your hand, and flop to the ground as tiny little steaks.

You frolic with a loved one through a field of ground beef and baconflowers.
    Any creature of the humanoid type, then.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Any creature of the humanoid type, then.
    "It's okay, little girl. Mr. Woofers is in a better place now. Specifically, my Bag of Holding, and later on a pawn shop."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Whats to stop someone using astral mart to purchase an item then turning it into gold then reselling it for more money? Or asking for a tour of a bank vault then turning the gold into an item? Do golden scrolls/wands/staffs ect still work?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

manipulating the diamond market doesn't make Raise Dead any cheaper to cast.
    I just wanted to note that in my games if someone struck a huge load of diamonds and the price dropped, Raise Dead WOULD get cheaper to cast...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I just wanted to note that in my games if someone struck a huge load of diamonds and the price dropped, Raise Dead WOULD get cheaper to cast...
    I am now imagining a campaign set in a country with so many diamond mines, the MIDDLE classes can afford Raise Dead regularly.

Like the class- but I can't imagine actually taking 20th level. :/
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

If you take the 20th level of this class can you still use magic items? Or does golding them make them nonfunctional?

If you can still use them then just buy a ring of telekinesis and you dont have to worry about having to not touch stuff.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

No sex.
    Not taking 20th level. XD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    If you take the 20th level of this class can you still use magic items? Or does golding them make them nonfunctional?

If you can still use them then just buy a ring of telekinesis and you dont have to worry about having to not touch stuff.
    Magic Items still function when turned into gold, in fact, due to Dream of Metal, it's basically a net bonus. But yes, human contact doesn't work.

The major curse of this would be that allies can't use helpful touch spells on you...
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:
    Auran Pirate, a sailor who engraves their ship with powerful runes and creates a vessel to be remembered.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    No sex.
    Not taking 20th level. XD
    i'm sure there's a spell in the BoEF that can sort that for you.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    i'm sure there's a spell in the BoEF that can sort that for you.
    "What happens when a Golden Alchemist mommy and a Golden alchemist daddy love each other very much?"
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by M-Bark View Post
    "What happens when a Golden Alchemist mommy and a Golden alchemist daddy love each other very much?"
    They gain a profitable amount of gold pieces?
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

That's horrible. XD
    (takes first 19 levels of this class)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

...Worth More Dead offers no saving throw?!

Save or Die abilities are fine. No Save, Just Die abilities...sure, SR applies, but still, it seems...very, very abusable.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    ...Worth More Dead offers no saving throw?!

Save or Die abilities are fine. No Save, Just Die abilities...sure, SR applies, but still, it seems...very, very abusable.
    I meant to add a health limit. It's like Power Word Kill or Microcosm, similar 9th level spell abilities which allow no save.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

16. - Top - End - #76

I. Love. This. Class.

I will must surely use it the next time I play D&D. I already stole some of the moves and idea to create a Play By Post character for another forum, sorry if you dissaprove.

And an Upgrade to that Coin Swarm (copied straight from my pbp character sheet):

Coin Golem: using a pile of coins, you can animate the mass to take the form of a Golem composed of Coins. ( http://www.goodman-games.com/images/artsto..._golemlarge.jpg ) It can regenerate if you add more coins to its mass. Otherwise it will be destroyed if the coin with a special mark on the back of its head is destroyed. Being gold of Ougon's creation, it is under the Secrets of Metal effects as well.

My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    I. Love. This. Class.

I will must surely use it the next time I play D&D. I already stole some of the moves and idea to create a Play By Post character for another forum, sorry if you dissaprove.

And an Upgrade to that Coin Swarm (copied straight from my pbp character sheet):

Coin Golem: using a pile of coins, you can animate the mass to take the form of a Golem composed of Coins. ( http://www.goodman-games.com/images/artsto..._golemlarge.jpg ) It can regenerate if you add more coins to its mass. Otherwise it will be destroyed if the coin with a special mark on the back of its head is destroyed. Being gold of Ougon's creation, it is under the Secrets of Metal effects as well.
    Well, thank you, that's very flattering. Coin Golem is a very interesting ability, would you mind if I incorporated a revised version of it into the class?
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Magicyop View Post
    Well, thank you, that's very flattering. Coin Golem is a very interesting ability, would you mind if I incorporated a revised version of it into the class?
    Go ahead, thats why I showed it.

My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #79

BlackDragon

Looking over this class reminds me of the days where I thought it was fun to have my lvl 100 Persian use Pay Day along with holding a Amulet Coin to gain extra money per battle.... Childhood memories aside...

We definitely need to come up with more "Dream of Wealth" abilities to continue with the 'Win of Internet' going here. Some suggestions that I thought up of the top of my head {feel free to edit/use however you see fit}

*Hoard Gullet [Dragon Magic pg 68]: Bag of holding inside of you to store your gold. Disgusting yes, but I've heard of misers that have gone as far as devouring their riches to keep thieves from stealing it.
    *Bonded to Riches [Homebrew]: I can't find what I'm going to be refrencing to, but I once found an article in Wizards where some particularly greedy dragons sometimes die and bond with their hoard. The particular example they used was a dragon that bonded to his treasure, and whenever adventurers came around the treasure would take up the shape of the dragon, using gems for eyes, swords for claws, etc. Maybe this could become some kind of a Lich is to Wizards template?
    *Weapon of Midas [Homebrew]: Channel Hand of Midas through weapon you wield to possibly turn enemy that you hit into a statue?
    *Golden Transformation [Homebrew]: Take something like the Green Star Adept [Complete Arcane PrC pg 41] or Iron Skin spell and change it so that you can temporarily transform into a golden version of yourself?

"Words ought to be chosen with greater care then either clothing or weaponry. For they can last much longer than the former, and cut deeper than the latter."

-Doomraga's Revenge by T.A. Barron

Extended Homebrew Signature

20. - Top - End - #80

Some sort of dimensional storage space has been suggested by multiple people, so I guess I have to put it in now don't I :

The rest are very nice, but what do you mean by Bonded to Riches? I'm not sure I understand. Like, the alchemist can't die while the gold is there?
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Some sort of dimensional storage space has been suggested by multiple people, so I guess I have to put it in now don't I :
    That reminds me, I never got around to creating my Pocket Master PrC.

I should get onto that.

22. - Top - End - #82

BlackDragon

The rest are very nice, but what do you mean by Bonded to Riches? I'm not sure I understand. Like, the alchemist can't die while the gold is there?
    I'm not sure if it should be a Dream of Wealth ability, but basically as long as he's with a amount of treasure (volume of coins=body?) your body could meld into the treasure and re-emerge from any amount of it when needed (sorta like a anti-death/way to be transported/etc). Still haven't found that darned reference (I do believe it was a Forgotten Realms dungeon-boss) but I do remember that the dragon's body assimilated into its hoard and could sense anything around the treasure like each coin had Blindsense, and could form its body out of coins/weapons in the treasure.

"Words ought to be chosen with greater care then either clothing or weaponry. For they can last much longer than the former, and cut deeper than the latter."

-Doomraga's Revenge by T.A. Barron

Extended Homebrew Signature

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I notice that the Dream of Wealth abilities have no listed duration? Are they intended to be permanent effects?
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    So, I notice that the Dream of Wealth abilities have no listed duration? Are they intended to be permanent effects?
    Most of them are instantaneous actions, things that you do rather than buffs and the like. A couple of them ARE buffs (Golden Transformation, Empty Bag) and thus have durations described in their effects.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

25. - Top - End - #85
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

On the whole "capstone = no sex" issue, I'm sure at that level any self-respecting Golden Alchemist can afford to commission a, well, finely-crafted golden construct. He could probably even get a statueized lover permanently animated, for some kind of crazy golden Pygmalion/Galatea dynamic.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Not the same. XD

27. - Top - End - #87

Actually, as much as I'm fairly certain we're straying outside the rules with this discussion, I am going to implement a Dream of Wealth ability which allows you to keep a living creature animated as flowing gold. Not for that purpose, though.
    Last edited by Magicyop; 2010-11-09 at 05:00 PM.
    Full Homebrew List

New Homebrew:

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

All you need is gold
    Ability: Ethereal music starts playing
    song: Parody to Beatles song "all you need is love"

All you need is gold...dududududu, All you need is gold...dududududu,All you need is gold, gold, gold is all you need.

29. - Top - End - #89

*Corner of shame*
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2011-06-23 at 02:51 PM.

My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    Gold Warm seems underpowered while Worth more Dead seems overpowered.

Assuming Squared means x4 like I believe. at level Twenty that would only be eighty coins animated...

meanwhile: Worth More Dead could instantly kill anyone under 100 HP.
    Squared means times itself, so at level 20, that means x20.