whats DND?
    response: dungeons and dragons
    whats that?

I have been describing it as a combination of
    -lord of the rings
    -group storytelling
    -choose your own adventure book
    -drama club, with rules
    "remember how when you were a little kid and played cops and robbers? 'bang bang, you're dead?' and argued over it? kinda like that, but we have rules for who's dead"

examples also include
    'dungeon crawl'

'concept of looting and/or loot'

'homebrew'

and so on

so basically

what are terms you've had to define for non gamers and/or new gamers, and how did you do so.

if you see a explanation you feel you can improve on.
    go for it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: how to explain.... to someone who's never heard of it

I just explained it to the girl I started dating as "cops and robbers, except with dice and rules crossed with cooperative story telling". She picked it up just fine with that example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DnD: You know how you play games on your computer? Well, we don't have the money to buy computers, so we do it in person by talking.

A collective storytelling game. You munch and hang out with people and usually have a good time. Heh, I almost forgot, you play once a fortnight for months/years and a single session lasts for 7-12 hours.

Dungeon crawl:

Chop chop.

Loot:

When you kill people taking their stuff is perfectly legit.

Homebrew:

You know how you don't like that smoking/drinking law? Well here we can change the rules and usually suffer for it...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Loot: anything that isn't nailed down and on fire that you can carry away, after killing it's owners.

Looting: putting out the fires and removing the nails if necessary, then walking away with said possession.

Ref. thieving, robbery, muggery.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

The "make believe, except with rules" is the one I end up using the most. Many people I meet still think it's a computer game.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I explained the principles of roleplaying games to my grandfather in about five minutes by rolling dice in front of him. Roll my d20 and add the dice roll to my "attack a monster with a sword ability" and compare against the monster's ability to withstand or avoid my attack. If my number is higher, I then roll the dice for my sword (and this can vary) to see how much damage the monster takes.

Thems the basic principles, people! And he understood it when I said it just got more complicated from there, but it's basically roll, add, compare then roll again and subtract from the hp total.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    I explained the principles of roleplaying games to my grandfather in about five minutes by rolling dice in front of him. Roll my d20 and add the dice roll to my "attack a monster with a sword ability" and compare against the monster's ability to withstand or avoid my attack. If my number is higher, I then roll the dice for my sword (and this can vary) to see how much damage the monster takes.

Thems the basic principles, people! And he understood it when I said it just got more complicated from there, but it's basically roll, add, compare then roll again and subtract from the hp total.
    I thought the basic principle of roleplaying was pretending to be someone else (and not because of a distant relative you didn't particularly like spotted you on the street).
    Last edited by Greenish; 2010-10-06 at 05:04 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, but I was explaining the basics of game mechanics, not just roleplaying in general which a lot of people understand anyway. The two go hand in hand, after all.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

9. - Top - End - #9

One person writes up a world with locations and characters, the players interact with this world and its characters with rules and guidelines laid out in a books. Dice are rolled for the outcome of most decisions.
    Gary Gygax: "As an author, I also realize that there are limits to my creativity and imagination. Others will think of things I didn't, and devise things beyond my capabilities".

Also Gary Gygax: "The AD&D game system does not allow the injection of extraneous material. That is clearly stated in the rule books. It is thus a simple matter: Either one plays the AD&D game, or one plays something else."

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    Yeah, but I was explaining the basics of game mechanics, not just roleplaying in general which a lot of people understand anyway. The two go hand in hand, after all.
    No they don't. You have people who like to roll and don't like/know how to rollplay. Iamb has lots or rolling and no rollplay, computer games also.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

My opening statement is "It's make-believe, but with rules to determine what works and what doesn't"
    Generally, that springs "then you can't do anything you want", which gets "You can. Succeeding is at stake, not acting".
    "But is there no winner?" "Not in the competitive sense of the word. The game ends when we stop having fun."
    "And what if your character die?" "then I make another one, or get resurrected, or take control of another one. Anything that makes for the most fun story".

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Easiest explanation I’ve ever come across is to simply ask them if they’ve ever played pretend (cops and robbers/cowboys and Indians). When they say “yes”, then simply say that is what role-playing is, only we’ve added rules for determining who wins.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

If I say "D&D" to someone and they ask what it is, I say "Dungeons & Dragons". If they ask a second time, I say "Nerds with dice."

If I were trying to really explain it, I'd say "Ever play pretend when you were little? Imagine that, but instead of arguing with your friend about whether or not you did what you said, you rolled dice to decide."
    Last edited by Thajocoth; 2010-10-06 at 05:16 PM.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[QUOTE=Kaww;9496013]DnD: You know how you play games on your computer? Well, we don't have the money to buy computers, so we do it in person by talking.
    /QUOTE]

BWHAHAHA go poor people ^^
    gonna use this explanation from now on
    Eh, I have no respect for demons. The whole "embodiment of CE" translates to "embodiment of being a psychotic moron who can't stick to a grocery list, let alone a plan".

15. - Top - End - #15
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Depends on the person. One of my most common explanations is "Have you ever wanted to do something in a CRPG, but couldn't because the computer wouldn't let you? Well, in RPGs, the computer is a person, and you can do it if he... and the dice... let you."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Actually, playing computer games is probably cheaper unless you really don't have a computer. (But in that case, how are you using the Internet??)
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Actually, playing computer games is probably cheaper unless you really don't have a computer. (But in that case, how are you using the Internet??)
    Library. You can log into most websites at your local library, but most won't let you install games. Similarly, you have work or school computers.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    By exploiting this simple fact.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I always try to emphasise the social side of it, because if I'm trying to explain, I'm talking to a non-nerd friend, and they usually only have a passing knowledge of videogame RPGs anyway.

I say: You and some friends get together. One person is in charge, and all the other people get to make up a character in the story that they control. The person in charge controls all the other people in the story, but the players have all the main characters. Then you tell the story together, with the person in charge saying what happens and you saying how your character reacts. Your characters can talk to each other all they like and they usually have a goal to achieve. If there's something with an element of chance, you simulate the uncertainty by rolling dice to see if you succeed or fail. Sometimes you get to add numbers because you have a better chance, like if you're really good at lockpicking and you're picking a lock.

Then I give an example of play, like
    The DM might say "There's a door at the end of the corridor, what to you do?"
    You say "I go down the corridor and try to open the door!"
    The DM tells you the door is locked, so you tell him you're going to try to open it, and you roll a 20-sided-die and add your lockpicking ability. The DM compares that number with how good a lock it is, and tells you how you did.
    "It takes a few minutes, but finally you hear a click and the door swings open..."

Usually by this stage they've gone through interest, confusion, boredom, regret for asking in the first place, and finally, vacancy of mind.

Actually, on the contrary, I've found that most people are genuinely intrigued by the sound of it, even people who are the complete opposite of nerds!

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Actually, on the contrary, I've found that most people are genuinely intrigued by the sound of it, even people who are the complete opposite of nerds!
    Like my grandfather, he sounded interested until I told him it does get trickier from there.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    I just explained it to the girl I started dating as "cops and robbers, except with dice and rules crossed with cooperative story telling". She picked it up just fine with that example.
    "It's improvisational acting in a fantasy setting, using dice to determine what you can and can't do."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Depends on the person. One of my most common explanations is "Have you ever wanted to do something in a CRPG, but couldn't because the computer wouldn't let you? Well, in RPGs, the computer is a person, and you can do it if he... and the dice... let you. you buy him pizza."
    Fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fixed.
    heeeeeeeeeeeeeey.....

I live on pizza!!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

ya its all nice and good Till the DM buys the pizza, Now how will i get my free re-rolls?!?!
    Mostly i explain it as a very complicated board game for nerds....

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaww View Post
    DnD: You know how you play games on your computer? Well, we don't have the money to buy computers, so we do it in person by talking.
    The problem with this assumption is that I have FAR more money wrapped up in D&D books than I do in computers, games, gaming consoles, cars, house...come to think of it anything I have.
    Amaranth

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, like they say on TV tropes Crack is Cheaper

My Blog The Level 1 GM

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    I've used that exact explanation myself, and people just kind of go "Oh, is that all?" when you tell them it's just like kids playing at superheroes, except with more sitting down and eating snack food.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's kind of like a play, except all the actors are ad-libbing everything, and the director also plays all the bad guys and bit parts (one at a time, of course)."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

[QUOTE=Paladineyddi;9496201]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaww View Post
    /QUOTE]

BWHAHAHA go poor people ^^
    gonna use this explanation from now on
    Quote Originally Posted by amaranth69 View Post
    The problem with this assumption is that I have FAR more money wrapped up in D&D books than I do in computers, games, gaming consoles, cars, house...come to think of it anything I have.
    Um yea I was about to say at this point I have far more invested in books (including multiple copies of the important ones), minis, battle mat, vis-a-vies, dice, and other accessories then I do in my now 5 year old compy. My fiancé and I actually have a "D&D" section of our budget no more than one book and a few boxes of mini's per month. This has become less prevalent due to 4ed, our dislike of it so far, and the destruction/hard to findedness of 3.5 material.

Though it brings a smile to my face knowing my 3.5 library is near completion. Just a few more splat books and I will have achieved a goal I've had since high school. A personal first :D

30. - Top - End - #30

PirateCaptain

Ok, so there's a group of guys sitting at a table, and they're all pretending they're fighting monsters with swords and magic, and they're rolling dice to see if they can, and one of the guys is basically God, and he controls all the monsters and stuff.