New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Need recommendations for a free system

One of my friends wants to run a campaign. He was describing to me that he wants to run a D&D game, but he wants us to start out as essentially commoners and gain class levels and skills based on what we do. From the description it sounded like he wants a system where you can train different powers/skills, rather than your standard level-based D&D system. It would definitely be a low-power and low-magic game, but he does want us to have magical abilities.

Any system we use needs to be available for free, since none of us want to spend more money. Does anyone have any good recommendations?
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2010-10-06 at 08:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Name me a system!

I reccomend reading the story of Joe Wood the Commoner for ideas on how to do this. Heroes Backpack uses 3.5e for it I think. It just becomes more about story telling than fighting.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    I reccomend reading the story of Joe Wood the Commoner for ideas on how to do this. Heroes Backpack uses 3.5e for it I think. It just becomes more about story telling than fighting.
    Thanks. Somehow I just can't see 3.5 working very well, particularly as the guy is absolutely new to DM'ing. I'd prefer to be able to present him with a system. (Actually I already see a few pitfalls - he's too much of a storywriter.)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Need recommendations for a free system

Well, it's not free, but RuneQuest, or its spiritual successor, SPQR (http://www.perrinworlds.com/SPQR.html) would fit the bill well. SPQR is pretty cheap - $25 according to the site.

I just have to pimp SPQR since I used to work with Steve :) (edit: Though, looking at his site more, make sure that you'd actually get enough for your $25 to play...)
    Last edited by kyoryu; 2010-10-06 at 08:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Thanks. Somehow I just can't see 3.5 working very well, particularly as the guy is absolutely new to DM'ing. I'd prefer to be able to present him with a system. (Actually I already see a few pitfalls - he's too much of a storywriter.)
    Even so, I still reccomend reading it. It's a good story. ^.^
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

GURPS would probably be perfect for that.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

you can get the FATE system for free, theres an SRD for spirit of the century (which is a fate game) somewhere and you can access the basic SRDhttp://evilhat.wikidot.com/fate-csrd. its extremely versatile and only needs a few dice (4d6 runs the whole system), certainly worth a look.
    "He who would count the teeth of the dragon must accept a degree of risk"
    Vince Arkady in Sea Strike by James Cobb

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a big long list of free games compiled by John Kim.

There are two other "free" FATE 3.0 games besides the ageing SRD for Spirit of the Century. Diaspora is one, Free FATE is the other.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

There is also Witchcraft. I would accept no substitutes, personally.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.