Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: The Spore Game

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Spore Game

I recently fond rules for a PnP game based on the videogame Spore. The hasic idea is you play a mono-cellular organism, with the goal of eating as much as possible in order to gain DNA points, which are used to evolve and gain new abilities, body parts and eventually become a multi-cellular creature and even an entire civilization. The catch is that there is only one character, and actions are decided by majority vote. The good bit about this is that anyone can play, without needing to make a character, you just jump in and vote.

As for game mechanics it's pretty simple, when you vote to take a difficult action I roll a number of dice equal to your stats in the relevant stat, the more even numbers you get the better you do. You also have a HP and Stomach stat, HP is how much health you have and is restored by sleeping, Stomach is how hungry you are, when it hits zero you start taking damage, it can be restored by eating. So, without further ado:

Also, I recently started a second game, set on a different continent. Species 2.

Teh Game Mechanics:
    Spoiler
    Show

Teh Basics:
    The mechanics are pretty darn simple. Six stats, including health, Attack, Defense, Perception, Intelligence, Speed, and yes, Health. Whatever the players vote for, roll a number of dice equal to the creatures score in the relevant stat, the more even numbers result from said roll, the better the result of the attempted action. Attack also covers feats of strength, and defense feats of endurance. Heck, I should probably change them to Strength and Endurance.

DNA an Stuff:
    DNA is evolutionary fuel. You need it to evolve, so I suppose it's basically XP, except you get it from devouring your enemies, and pretty much anything else. DNA is given out on a basis of Reward vs. Risk, meaning a easily acquired meal is worth perhaps 2 points, the corpse of a more difficult opponent is worth four, and truly fine (and incredibly dangerous) cuisine is worth six points.

Evolving:
    Evolutions are unlocked via a variety of means. The first is killing and eating someone or something with the evolution you want. The other options are observing a creature with the evolution, or being exposed to a harmful effect, which most of the time will unlock a evolution to counter it. Living in a very hot region, for instance, will allow you to purchase the heat resistance evolution. As for how evolutions are priced, as a rough rule of thumb a evolution that increases a stat by 1 is worth 4 DNA points, so something half as useful would be worth 2.

And that's pretty much it. Note that I didn't invent this game and do not claim credit for it. I did invent these particular rules though, inspired by what I saw of other games, although every single one of said games had a completely different rule set. Feel free to run your own games, using as little or as much of this as you please.

Teh Irgise:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Irgise
    -------------------
    Attack: 4 (Starting attack 1, Teeth, Jaw, Endo-Skeleton)
    Ranged Attack: 4 (Sonic Pulse, Improved Sonic Pulse, Crystalline Shell, Spit)
    Defense: 1 (Thickened Membrane)
    Size/Health: 5
    Perception: 5 (Eye x2, Nose, Ear)
    Speed: 3 (Flippers, Spine)
    ------------------
    Proto-Brain: Your species now has the ability to process basic concepts.
    Rapid Growth: You convert everything you eat to a thick, protective layer of fat, meaning that as long as you have more than 1 Stomach, damage drains your Stomach instead of your Health.
    Sonic Pulse: +1 Ranged Attack against enemies with ears.
    Spit Adhesive: You can spit a glue-like substance, although not at great range.
    Sonar: +2 Perception to detect movement.
    Cilia: +1 Perception to detect movement.
    Larynx: Sonic Pulse doesn't cost stomach.
    Improved Enzymes: Increased DNA gain from food.
    Geovore: +50% DNA from rocks, -50% from all other foods.
    Senses: Sight, hearing, smell and touch.
    Tunneler: You can tunnel through dirt and stone at very fast speeds.
    Cautious: Reduced price on stealth based evolutions.
    Spines: Deals 1 damage to anything that attacks you.
    Improved Vocal Cords: You can communicate via a wide range of sounds, and over long distances.
    Shifting Camouflage: +1 to stealth in all environments, only kicks in when you've spent a full minute in current environment.
    Improved Camouflage: +2 to stealth in sandy, jungle and rocky environments. Does not stack with Shifting Camouflage.
    Absolute Stillness: +2 Stealth when not moving.

Teh Availible Evolutions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grow Nose: 4 DNA (+1 Perception, allows you to smell)

Pheromones: 6 DNA. (Allows communication via scent.)

Improve Camouflage: 2 DNA (Select one type of camp you already own, you gain an additional +1 to Stealth while in that environment)

Improved Shifting Camouflage: 8 DNA (If you remain perfectly still for more than a round, your skin color shifts to perfectly match your surroundings, giving you +2 Stealth. Requires Shifting Camouflage, and three kinds of Improved Camouflage)

Cilia: 4 DNA (+1 Perception, allows you to detect nearby movement)

Grow Ears: 4 DNA (Increases Perception by 1, lets you to hear)

Generate Ink: 5 DNA (Any area you spend long amounts of time in is filled with a murky secretion, giving all cells within it without Improved Vision -2 Perception)

Poison Adhesive: 6 DNA (Your natural adhesive mixes with the venom you can spit, causing it to stick to enemies it strikes and continue doing damage to them. Requires Spit, Generate Poison, and Generate Adhesive.)

Secrete Adhesive: 4 DNA (Your slime becomes adhesive, causing you to stick to anything you grab. Requires Generate Adhesive.)

Increase Acidity: 6 DNA (Makes you extremely unappetizing, deals damage to creatures that try to eat you. Requires Generate Slime.)

Improved Sonic Pulse: 4 DNA (Increases Ranged Attack by 1)

Generate Light: 2 DNA (You glow)

Generate Blinding Light: 4 DNA (Allows you to spend 1 Stomach to blind the enemy with a brilliant flash of light)

Grow Horn: 4 DNA (Gives you a crystalline horn, increases attack by 1)

Split Horn: 10 DNA (+1 Attack per horn. Requires Grow Horn)

Harden Shell: 8 DNA (Incorporate some of the metal you ate into your shell, increasing defense by 2)

Segmented Shell: 8 DNA (+1 Defense, +1 Speed)

Heavy Shell: 3 DNA (+1 Defense, -1 Speed)

Resonant Shell: 2 DNA (Makes your shell deflect sonic attacks, giving you +1 Defense against them)

Evolve Exo-Skeletal Structure: 6 DNA (+1 Defense, changes your shell to a exoskeleton)

Sharpen Teeth: 6 (+2 Attack, slower eating)

Flatten Teeth: 3 DNA (Faster eating, cannot take both this and Sharpen Teeth)

Grow Mandibles: 4 DNA (+1 Attack)

Generate Numbing Poison: 6 DNA (Weakens anything that eats an Irgise)

Generate Stunning Poison: 8 DNA (Considerably weakens anything that eats an Irgise. Requires Generate Numbing Poison.)

Generate Sickening Poison: 4 DNA (Hurts anything that eats an an Irgise.)

Increase Poison Lethality: 4 DNA (Increases the effectiveness of Sickening Poison.)

Poisonous Attack: 8 DNA (Select an attack. Whenever you use that attack successfully, you poison the target.)

Grow Stomach: 6 DNA (+2 Stomach)

Store Nutrients: 8 DNA (Allows you to eat double your Stomach in food. Excess food isn't immediately converted into DNA though, it is consumed at a rate of 1 Stomach point a turn)

Grow Tongue: 4 DNA (Allows you to detect poison in food)

Grow Dorsal Fin: 4 DNA (+1 Speed)

Evolve Jets: 8 DNA (+2 Speed)

Evolve Spine Launchers: 6 DNA (+1 Ranged Attack, allows you to launch your spines with a blast of pressurized water. Costs 1 Stomach per use, requires Spines)

Regeneration: 8 DNA (Lost body parts grow back when you sleep)

Increase Mass: 3 DNA (Increases your size, as well as increasing your HP by 1

Grow Flagellum: 4 DNA (Increases Agility by 1, increases movement speed.)

Grow Eye: 4 DNA (Allows you to see stuff instead of feeling it, increases Perception by 1.)

Infrared Vision: 8 DNA (+2 Perception against anything that generates heat)

Improve Vision: 6 DNA (+1 Perception, no penalty in murky areas)

Three figures stand in a room of metal, clustered around a giant moniter, muttering about something in language you cannot understand. The figures are not human, but look more like a giant worm, with three tentacles extending from their midddle, and short strandlike feelers runjing all across it's body, feeling movements in the air. The moniter is far more interesting though, it shows a giant tank full of water, as the figures watch a metal appendage reaches down and releases a greenish fluid, as you watch the fluid begins to shrink in on itself, drawing itself into a ball. For several hours the orb of fluid remain inert, or, more accurately, you remain inert.

Your first day on earth, wherever you are, is rather un-impressive. The first thing you are aware of is growing a skin, the second is becoming intelligent, which you gt the impression should have taken longer. The third thing, which has only just occured, is that you're hungry. Using your rudimentary sense of touch to locate things you discover that there is some plant matter nearby, as well as what appwars to be another cell and some rather nice rocks, all of which seem tasty enough.
    Last edited by ThirdEmperor; 2011-04-09 at 03:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: The Spore Game

Eat the rocks.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Robot Dance.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Butt we donmt have arms yet.

Eat the rocks. We need some Vitamin Rock.
    Gitp's No. 1 Rarity fan and Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

5. - Top - End - #5

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    Butt we donmt have arms yet.

Eat the rocks. We need some Vitamin Rock.
    My pufferfish in Spore didn't have arms and still could do the robot dance.

I say we robot dance.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

~ KuReshtin

~ The Succubus

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Heck, I'll robot dance.

7. - Top - End - #7

Technicly i must inform you taht you may indeed robot dance, but it will just look like wiggling. Also, you will starve if you don't eat soon.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Can I eat Castaras?

9. - Top - End - #9

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Duneyrr View Post
    Can I eat Castaras?
    That sounds good.

Eat Duneyrr.
    ~ Timberwolf

~ KuReshtin

~ The Succubus

10. - Top - End - #10

No, you cannot eat other posters. There is however, some plant matter and tasty rocks nearby, as well as what appears to be another creature.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

I will eat that other creature.

12. - Top - End - #12

DrowGirl

I'll eat another creature.
    ~ Timberwolf

~ KuReshtin

~ The Succubus

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Eat the Rocks! They're sure to provide you with the most nutritional benefit!
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

You swim down towards the rocks, quickly expanding and retracting your body to move. When you reachthem you extend yourself over them, enveloping them, and begin to feed. The rocks are indeed quite nutricious, containing all sorts of minerals. After a few hours you have eaten enough to fill your belly, as well as gaining 6 DNA points. During your time feeding you managed to use your quite limited sensory abilities to learn a little more about your surroundings.

The area you're in seems a excellent place to live, with a abundane of other, edible cells, as well as many rocks that cannot only be eaten, but are full of holes and tunnels, forming a kind of reef.

As you watch a large, somewhat worm-like cells swims past franticly, harried by a pack of smaller cells with curved, horn-like protrusions they are using to attack the other cell.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Eat the worm cells.

16. - Top - End - #16

Ally with the worm cells, plot the demise of your masters, and, when they least expect it, stab them in the back and consume their nutrients.

Or you know.

Just eat them.

Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Eat the world

18. - Top - End - #18

You swim after the worm cells and their hunters, determined to get your share. You eventually manage to corner one, along with two of the horned cells. You lunge forward at it and slam into it, and although your attack has little effect, it does create an opening for one of the horned cells, which gores the worm viciously before being dashed into jelly by it's tail. You attack again, but are smacked backward as the worm lashes out in response to the second horned cells attack, which leaves a deep cut in the worm cell's membrane, before being slain like it's companion.

With no allies left to distract the worm it turns it's full rage on you, lashing out with it's tail three times as you futilely try to attack, practically reducing you to a pulp, before you finally manage to strike it in the wound left by the horned cell, causing the worm's skin-like membrane to split entirely, spling out the worms tasty insides. You quickly devour them, gaining 4 DNA.

You have 1 HP (you need to sleep).

You have 3 Stomach.

You have 10 DNA.

19. - Top - End - #19

Spend your DNA on some form of hard skin.

SLEEEEEEEEEEP.

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Find a hiding place.

Use DNA on camouflage.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Hide and sleep.

Spend 5 DNA on arms and the rest on scary teeth.

22. - Top - End - #22

DrowGirl

DNA on some sort of hard skin or weapons.
    ~ Timberwolf

~ KuReshtin

~ The Succubus

23. - Top - End - #23

Ayou hid in the nearest available cluster of planys and rest, sleeping for a long time to recover from the vicious beating you took. When you awake you realize you've gained a considerable amount of mass, and decide to split, ripping yourself in half in order to create another of your kind, jumbling your DNA in the process.

You have 4 HP

You have 2 Stamina

You have 10 DNA

--------------------------------------------------------
    These are the evolutions you can get, as well as the DNA cost (note that you can choose most evolutions more than once):

Grow Mouth: 2 DNA (Allows you to eat much faster)

Grow Horn: 4 DNA (Gives you a crystaline horn, increases attack by 1)

Grow Teeth: 4 DNA (Requires mouth, increases attack hy 1)

Improve Enzymes: 8 DNA (Increases DNA gain, increases attack by 1 if you don't have Thicken Membrane)

Thicken Membrane: 2 DNA (Thickens your outer membrane, increases defence by 1 but you cannot eat without a mouth)

Grow Spines: 6 DNA (Deals damage to attackers)

Increase Mass: 4 DNA (Increases your size, as well as increasing your HP by 1)

Grow Flagellum: 4 DNA (Increases Agility by 1, increases movement speed.)

Grow Eye: 4 DNA (Allows you to see stuff instead of feeling it, increases Perception by 1.)

Specialize Enzymes: 0 DNA (Choos a type of food (meat, plant matter, rocks, ect.) you gain extra DNA from eating that tyle of food but less from others.)

24. - Top - End - #24

Grow Mouth + Thicken Membrane + Grow Spines = 10 DNA.

Get that.

Specialise Enzyme: Rock because specialising's free and rock doesn't fight back.

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Are we going for a rock eater?

What He said then.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post

Get that.

Specialise Enzyme: Rock because specialising's free and rock doesn't fight back.
    * Agreed.

27. - Top - End - #27

You think beyond, like, one minute into the future?

Wow.

Show

28. - Top - End - #28

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post

Get that.

Sounds good to me.
    ~ Timberwolf

~ KuReshtin

~ The Succubus

29. - Top - End - #29

When your genes stop randomly re-arranging themselves and your form stabilizes you discover several usefull changes to your body. For one thing your outer membrane has thickened, preventing you from being ripped apart by a passing rock, and sprouted sharp spines to ward of predators. Although your thickened skin will prevent you from eating by enveloping your food, you have also gained a small mouth on your underbelly leading directly to the part of your body reserved for eating, which appears to have also changed, becoming more effecient at eating minerals at the expense of everything else. Your stats:

(Nameless Cell)
    ---------------------
    Intelligence: Non-existant
    Attack: 1
    Defence: 1
    Perception: 0
    ---------------------
    Spines: Deals damage to attackers
    Geovore: Gain more DNA from minerals, but less from everything else

After all that cramming a million years evolution into a few minutes, you feel rather hungry, you could certainly go for some limestone. You also notice something odd, you can feel heat radiating from somewhere to te north-east, it's mild from this far away, but whatevers causing it is very powerfull. You also notice that there are several tunnels in the bedrock nearby, and you can see several small, glowing cells swimming in and out of them.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Move South West while looking for some rock to eat.